Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Park IDs hunter (Austin Pfeiffer, 22) killed by grizzly bear in Alaska as Ohio man

Park IDs hunter (Austin Pfeiffer, 22) killed by grizzly bear in Alaska as Ohio man

https://www.facebook.com/austin.pfeiffer.98

Wife - https://www.facebook.com/ryleigh.sloan

https://www.wfmj.com/story/42681819/...ka-as-ohio-man

The hunter killed by a grizzly bear last weekend in a remote part of Alaska's Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve was identified Thursday by park officials as a 22-year-old man from Ohio.

The death of Austin Pfeiffer late Sunday was the first recorded fatal bear attack in the park since it was established in 1980, the park said in a statement. Park spokesperson Jan Maslen said that officials were not releasing his hometown at the family's request.

Pfeiffer was hunting with a friend and they were salvaging meat from a moose they killed a day earlier when the attack occurred, the statement said.

National Park Service investigators determined it was a surprise attack and that Pfeiffer did not have ready access to a gun or deterrent, like bear-repellant spray, at the time.

Pfeiffer's friend had taken a load of moose meat back to the men's camp, about a half-mile (0.8 kilometers) away, while Pfeiffer stayed behind to prepare the next load, Maslen said.

As the friend was returning, he was charged by the bear within about 50 yards (46 meters) from the site of where the dead moose was and opened fire in defense in the bear's direction, Maslen said.

The bear left and the friend found Pfeiffer's body, she said. The friend asked to not be identified, Maslen said.

Pfeiffer's hunting partner was later evacuated safely from the site, the statement said. No other visitors were known to have been in that area of the more than 20,300 square-mile (52,600-square-kilometer) park that is larger than the states of New Hampshire and Vermont combined.

Rangers will continue monitoring the area for bear activity, the statement said.

The park said it offers hunting opportunities on its preserve lands.
    http://mydeathspace.com/article/2020...bear_in_Alaska
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 09-25-2020 at 06:57 PM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I saw this story, but it didn't mention the "friend" with him. I'm pretty sure it was his wife if that's the case, because all over his Facebook she's out hunting with him:

ETA: They must have locked down his profile because it's showing much less today than yesterday. There were plenty of posts and pictures of them hunting together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Mansfield man killed by grizzly bear in Alaska

https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...ip/3506574001/

MANSFIELD - A 22-year-old Mansfield man was killed by a grizzly bear in an Alaska state park Sunday while on a moose hunting trip, the National Park Service reported Thursday.

Mansfield police attempted to notify family on Tuesday that Austin Pfeiffer, of Mansfield, had died, according to a report at the Mansfield Police Department. An Alaska state trooper called MPD to have an officer contact Austin's wife, Ryleigh Pfeiffer, regarding a wildlife encounter while hunting in Alaska, according to information the News Journal obtained.

Pfeiffer was a job site foreman with Dolce's Tree Service and a skilled tree climber, lift operator and all-around handyman, according to his employer's website.

According to his Facebook page, Austin was also employed at Gamemaster Taxidermy. Austin would have turned 23 on Tuesday. He married Ryleigh Hunter Pfeiffer on Oct. 20, 2018.

Wednesday, his family declined comment.

According to abcnews.go.com, the incident happened Sunday in the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve, a 13.2-million-acre area in southeast Alaska, while the hunter was on a 10-day moose hunt with a friend near the Chisana River drainage at the time of the attack.

The attack occurred in a remote area approximately 50 air miles from the nearest community of Northway, Alaska, and 130 miles from park headquarters, according to the National Park Service.

More:Grizzly bear kills hunter in largest US national park in first-of-its-kind attack

The attack occurred near the Cottonwood Creek drainage, an area of mixed tundra and forest lands with dense vegetation, while the hunting part was salvaging meat from a moose harvested the day before, according to a news release issued Thursday by the National Park Service.

The NPS said an investigation determined that it was a surprise attack and that a defensive firearm or other deterrent, such as bear spray, was not readily available to the victim, according to Thursday's news release.

The NPS said it was notified of the attack at approximately 7:30 p.m. Sunday. Through coordination with a local air taxi service used by hunters, the NPS ensured the site was secure and that the victim's hunting partner was safely evacuated from the area.

The following day, the NPS coordinated with Alaska Wildlife troopers to recover the victim's body, which was transported to the Alaska State Medical Examiner's Office in Anchorage.

Park rangers found no evidence that the bear remained in the area, and no other park visitors are known to be in the immediate vicinity of the incident location. The site is extremely remote, but park rangers will continue to monitor the area for bear activity. All meat from the moose was salvaged as required by the state of Alaska hunting regulations, according to the updated news release.

The death of the hunter is the first known bear mauling fatality recorded at Wrangell-St. Elias — which is the same size as Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, and Switzerland combined — since the park was established 40 years ago in 1980, according to the U.S. National Park Service.

Public information officer Jan Maslen of the National Park Service could not be reached for comment.

In the news release, the park service urged visitors to be aware of bears when traveling in the backcountry and to take precautions like carrying bear spray.

Grizzly bear-inflicted injuries to humans in developed areas averaged approximately one per year during the 1930s through the 1950s, and four per year during the 1960s. Grizzly bear-caused human injuries in developed areas then decreased to one injury every two years during the 1970s. Since 1980, there have been only two grizzly bear-caused human injuries in developed areas, an average of approximately one every 20 years. Over the same time span, there have been 34 human injuries caused by grizzly bears in the backcountry, an average of one per year, according to online information from the national park service.

Snyder Funeral Homes on Lexington Avenue is handling arrangements.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    His wife is particularly upset by the Mansfield article above:

Mansfield News Journal You are absolutely despicable! My husband was a sweet, loving man, not just some hunter that died. Your facts are weak, your sentences don’t make sense, your spelling is off, you didn’t even spell my name right or get my husbands age right either. We asked you to wait till next week so we had time to grieve and you couldn’t even be humane enough to even do that... you continue to update and post more information because it is “news”. I truly pray that nothing like this ever happens to you or your family because the hurt is unbearable and sickening. Big news stations even said they were appalled by your lack of humanity and all of the details you spewed in your poorly written article. You are heartless cowards sitting behind computers, and you have no true strength. At least I have true strength, strength from God that will drive me till the end. PLEASE continue to share, I am not the only one that Mansfield News Journal has done this to. This kind of heartlessness needs to end!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I saw this story, but it didn't mention the "friend" with him. I'm pretty sure it was his wife if that's the case, because all over his Facebook she's out hunting with him:

ETA: They must have locked down his profile because it's showing much less today than yesterday. There were plenty of posts and pictures of them hunting together.
    I don't think so. The other article I posted said
    An Alaska state trooper called MPD to have an officer contact Austin's wife, Ryleigh Pfeiffer, regarding a wildlife encounter while hunting in Alaska, according to information the News Journal obtained.
    Why bother if she was there?

Check out her FB page. She is spitting daggers that the local newspaper reported the public information at a time they wanted privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    I don't think so. The other article I posted said Why bother if she was there?

Check out her FB page. She is spitting daggers that the local newspaper reported the public information at a time they wanted privacy.
    Yeah, once I read that other article I saw that. I wonder who he was with? My crazy, drama brain of course goes to him somehow cheating on his wife and that's why she's so angry at the reporting. But that's probably just me trying to turn this in to a soap opera

I don't understand why they're so upset about the news reporting it. That's what the news does. They aren't special and I'm sure they've read plenty of news stories about other people without thinking twice about the people behind the story. It's a little weird and entitled.

The hunter got hunted just like pop smoke got smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I love all these hunter people who love to pose with their guns and kill, and then boo hoo and are shocked when animals hunt too or attempt to protect themselves.
    This.

Team Bear

I love all these hunter people who love to pose with their guns and kill, and then boo hoo and are shocked when animals hunt too or attempt to protect themselves.
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Team Grizzly! He/she was probably getting revenge for the moose he killed.
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Team Grizzly! He/she was probably getting revenge for the moose he killed.
    I was thinking maybe he wanted that moose meat.

Serious question: shouldn't he be hibernating or some shit?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I was thinking maybe he wanted that moose meat.

Serious question: shouldn't he be hibernating or some shit?
    nah. This is the time of year bears are packing on the pounds for the winter. I'm sure the bear wanted the moose...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    nah. This is the time of year bears are packing on the pounds for the winter. I'm sure the bear wanted the moose...
    Most definitely. I'm sure Austin let him have the moose, too. He's a hunter and knew what that bear was capable of, I can't imagine he tried to prevent the bear from getting it. So that means the bear outright attacked him. Sad stuff. They were a cute couple, but Ryleigh is very naive to think the paper would wait to report news because the family is grieving. Life just doesn't work that way. I hope her faith gets her through this. Rest in peace, Austin...
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Most definitely. I'm sure Austin let him have the moose, too. He's a hunter and knew what that bear was capable of, I can't imagine he tried to prevent the bear from getting it. So that means the bear outright attacked him. Sad stuff. They were a cute couple, but Ryleigh is very naive to think the paper would wait to report news because the family is grieving. Life just doesn't work that way. I hope her faith gets her through this. Rest in peace, Austin...
    Yep. Very naive. The news, not unlike the bear, smells blood and "if it bleeds it leads" as the old saying goes.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Team Bear

Team Bearskin Rug for me, those feckers are vicious.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 09-28-2020 at 05:55 AM.

Unhappy

My crazy, drama brain of course goes to him somehow cheating on his wife and that's why she's so angry at the reporting. But that's probably just me trying to turn this in to a soap opera

I don't understand why they're so upset about the news reporting it.
    Nothing juicy or dramatic about them. They really were perfect for each other, they were matching pieces in a puzzle and most people aren't lucky enough to find that these days, let alone at their young age. The story broke a mere 36 hours after the wife was informed. And no one ever fathomed that this would be such big national news and she and his family would get bombarded by crazy people who don't seem to have an ounce of humanity and death threats because he was an avid hunter, fisherman, etc. The family is well known in the area and instead of quietly grieving like they would have preferred... the phones of his employers, his family members and anyone else that the media could get ahold of have been ringing off the hook, people showing up at their homes. These are normal everyday people, not celebrities or someone who has somehow granted everyone admission into their lives.

It meant that his wife suddenly felt like she had to speak up for her husband because he was more than a news story and he's more than a thread on an internet forum. He was a human being with family and friends who loved him and whose lives have been forever changed because of a surprise encounter with an animal he didn't stand a chance against without a side arm.

But you know...Team Bear and all that

I feel like the news could've reported the story while leaving out his name. But I'm not sure they care enough to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by notreallyhere View Post
    Nothing juicy or dramatic about them. They really were perfect for each other, they were matching pieces in a puzzle and most people aren't lucky enough to find that these days, let alone at their young age. The story broke a mere 36 hours after the wife was informed. And no one ever fathomed that this would be such big national news and she and his family would get bombarded by crazy people who don't seem to have an ounce of humanity and death threats because he was an avid hunter, fisherman, etc. The family is well known in the area and instead of quietly grieving like they would have preferred... the phones of his employers, his family members and anyone else that the media could get ahold of have been ringing off the hook, people showing up at their homes. These are normal everyday people, not celebrities or someone who has somehow granted everyone admission into their lives.

It meant that his wife suddenly felt like she had to speak up for her husband because he was more than a news story and he's more than a thread on an internet forum. He was a human being with family and friends who loved him and whose lives have been forever changed because of a surprise encounter with an animal he didn't stand a chance against without a side arm.

But you know...Team Bear and all that
    I'm sorry the family is going through this. I come from a hunting family, and I'm always amused by the rhetoric from people who attack hunters and then sit down to a steak dinner. They think buying meat in a supermarket is somehow morally superior to hunting it yourself, when in actuality, the horrors of a beef farm and abattoir are significantly more stressful to the animal. Ryleigh shouldn't have to defend a man for feeding his family, but that's where we are as a society now. Again, I'm really sorry.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Sorry, still team Bear. You can't have it both ways. If you're going to hunt animals, it's only fair that they get to hunt you too.

Meh, I always find it funny that the people who say they don't want publicity go out googling names. What did you think you were going to find?

Hunting is one thing, but a hunting trip isn't about feeding family. It's about wanting to feel like a 'big man'. It's the animals' territories...feeling like a 'big man' involves taking risks and accepting the consequences. Not wishing anything bad on anyone, but it's all part of the very known risks.
    Ryleigh and family aren't googling anything but friends of the family are definitely branching out and trying to put a face to this. To show that Austin and Ryleigh are real everyday people, one whose life was cut tragically short and one who has to somehow find a way to go on without the man she expected to spend the rest of her life with.

IDK about other people, but none of the meat goes to waste, regardless of what state the hunt is done in for this family. Even in her grief, Ryleigh made sure to inquire about the meat that was gathered during this trip and found a way to donate that meat locally so even in a tragic situation like this, it doesn't go to waste. Other "trophies" such as rack, fur, or even a full head can come from any hunt, even a local trip. Austin would not (and Ryleigh does not) want anything to happen to the animal, who was just doing bear stuff when it came across Austin and then it did what bears do. Austin made decisions that ultimately cost him his life during this trip, but he in no way, deserved what happened to him.

I dont like hunting, but I dont think Austin deserved to die.

notreallyhere are you a family friend?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I love when people seem to think that the members here are saying that their family members "deserved to die". I mean, point out where anyone on here said that.

There are exceptions to the rule, of course, like kid rapers and murderers etc. But nobody is on here saying anyone deserved to die. You're confusing that with us not being surprised that they died. AKA "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes". He was such an avid hunter, he should have known that this is when bears fatten up for the winter and field dressing a moose would attract them.

As for the death threats etc. Nobody deserves that in this case and I'm sorry that's happening, however to think that this wouldn't be reported on as widespread news with the circumstances as such is idiocy. The entitlement is what I don't appreciate here. They aren't special just because they were "Well respected". They've read equally as strange circumstances of others throughout their lives and didn't bat an eye. I'm 99% sure of that fact.

Not crazy about hunting, but he didn't deserve to die, and by such a crazy way too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Thread Information