My husband and I love to travel. We retired 7 years ago after a combined 82 years of really hard work, and have pretty much done nothing but travel until COVID-19 put the kibosh on it in March. We split our time between Scotland, Spain, and the US - traveling between the three every 3-4 months and roadtripping like crazy while we're there. We like to say we drive ourselves mercilessly in the pursuit of relaxation, so don't ever give up the dream - it's achievable!

I want to share one of my favorite trips from May 2018 to the Isle of Lismore in Scotland. This was a bit of a hamefarin for my husband, whose ancestors emigrated from Lismore to Cape Fear, NC in 1773 (just in time to join the American Revolution). The tiny island (~10 sq miles) is part of the Inner Hebrides, accessible by boat or ferry, has a population of less than 200, and is Pure Magic. I felt so welcomed. The people of Lismore are rightfully proud of their island, so proud that they built and maintain an amazing Heritage Museum to tell their story. Prominently featured is the emigration to the colonies. I found it amazing that such a small group of people could accomplish so much. The collected knowledge and documentation of generations of Lismore families is staggering, especially considering the island was inhabited primarily by shepards and farmers. The museum even follows the stories of residents decades after they left.

The island itself is like taking a step back in time in a scene that can only be described as pastoral. A ribbon of country road meanders through the island and sheep graze in open pastures beside sparkling streams. The bleating of sheep and a chorus of songbirds accompanied us everywhere. We watched in awe as a Golden Eagle flew overhead, catch in hand. Besides the Heritage Museum (w/cafe and gift shop), there are some castle ruins, and the heart of the community: the Post Office/General Store/Community Board/Liquor Store (in one convenient location!). It was an unplugged vacation - no TV, phone, email or internet - and we loved it. The charm and tranquility of the island can't be understated. It hasn't changed in hundreds of years and I hope it never does.

Photos: The main road through the island, our cottage, and a sign on the ferry warns dog-walkers about free-range lambs and ewes.