Quote Originally Posted by wondery View Post
It seems like Kaytlynn disappeared so quickly that there would be answers sooner. I'm always shocked by the length of investigations, especially when children are involved.

Jillian, I felt a pain in my heart as I read what your wrote about your daughter. It's too close - you can't shield her and this is something she'll remember for a long time especially once details are public. I feel for you.
It's almost a repeat of my childhood here, actually. I was about 10 when Amber Hagerman was abducted and murdered, and she's the girl that the Amber alert is named for. I remember my parents being the same way I am now, trying to reassure that it's not something that happens regularly but at the same time it's a lesson on being careful. I remember after Amber died we were really restricted in our outdoor play for a long time, before it happened we were allowed to ride our bikes pretty far, after it happened we were told to stay inside a 4 house radius on our street.

I'm just glad she didn't see Fox News broadcast of the medical examiner and police removing the body from the landfill, because they zoomed in and you could see her torso and blue jean shorts and that's the sort of image I don't want her to have in her mind forever. I'm almost numb (well, numb is harsh, I still feel deeply for her family and for her, but dead bodies don't get to me like they used to) to that sort of thing now, but my husband is not and he got teary-eyed and left the room when he saw it.