Girlfriend of alleged driver in hit-run pleads not guilty

Originally published: January 7, 2013 12:53 PM
Updated: January 7, 2013 1:09 PM
By TANIA LOPEZ tania.lopez@newsday.com
Alicia Santamaria, 23, of Bay Shore, faces charges

Photo credit: SCPD | Alicia Santamaria, 23, of Bay Shore, faces charges in a New Year's Eve hit and run in West Islip that left a teenager severely injured. Santamaria was arraigned Monday. (Jan 7, 2013)
Galleries
Both drivers were taken to Nassau University Medical LI car accidents test only for sequence Recent LI mug shots top pic for fbi most wanted FBI Most Wanted
Web links
traffic map Traffic map, cameras Long Island crime map Long Island's latest crime and police reports Crime stats for Long Island Crime numbers on LI
Map
Recent locations where pedestrians were struck and killed by vehicles

The girlfriend of a North Babylon man charged in a New Year's Eve hit-and-run accident in West Islip that left a teenager critically injured pleaded not guilty Monday to charges of hindering prosecution and conspiracy.

Appearing in First District Court in Central Islip, Manhattan-based attorney Stephen N. Preziosi entered the plea for Alicia Santamaria, 23, of 21 Brentwood Rd., Bay Shore, who was ordered held on $1,000 cash bail or $2,500 bond by Judge Ann Spelman. Prosecutors had sought bail of $100,000 -- or $200,000 bond.

Santamaria is charged with second-degree hindering prosecution, a felony, and fifth-degree conspiracy, though it is still unclear what role police and prosecutors believe she played in the alleged coverup.

Two others, including driver Kristofer Busching, 25, of 150 Prairie Drive, North Babylon, and Carlo Caamano, 19, of 1120 Namdac Ave., Bay Shore, face arraignment Monday afternoon.

Busching is charged with first-degree assault, leaving the scene of an accident with serious physical injury, fifth-degree conspiracy, criminal mischief and petty larceny.

News 12 Long Island reported that as Busching was led to his arraignment in handcuffs Monday morning, he told reporters: "I'm sorry. I didn't do it on purpose . . . I didn't mean to hit him. I didn't mean to."

Caamano, who authorities said was a passenger in the 2012 Chrysler 300 when it struck the teen victim, faces the same charges as Santamaria, as well as with criminal mischief and petty larceny.

The victim has been in critical condition at Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip since the accident.

His identity has not been released by police.

Police said the victim was discovered on Udall Road in West Islip at 10:26 p.m. on New Year's Eve. The three defendants were all arrested on Sunday, police said.

With John Valenti