Hi Megan. I have been a paramedic for a lonnnggg time so I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1. Just because you're young and small doesn't mean you can't do a job. When I became an EMT at 17, I was all of 5'7" and 120 lbs soaking wet with my clothes on. And most EMS services have stretchers that lift themselves, anymore (total bonus for us old folks!!). Looking weak has little to do with it. As long as you are able to communicate effectively with your patients, partner, dispatch and the hospital, you'll do fine.

2. I never worked for a hospital based EMS system, I did 911 at a rescue squad and worked for a private ambulance company. Volunteer work was awesome, I got to learn from people who were really good at what they did, and who cared about the community. If you have the opportunity to volunteer, I suggest you try it. It is highly rewarding and can lead to more opportunities for you both personally and professionally. My critical care transport job was run by a guy who wanted you to work 24 hours a day, 8 days a week. It was horrible, as was the pay. However, I'm sure things have gotten better as there are more agencies providing transport so there are more opportunities now.

3. It depends. You don't normally work 24 hour shifts on transfer calls. For example: When I worked critical care transport, I worked out of the office from 0700 - 1900, and then was "on call" from 1900-0700 the next day. I was paid my hourly rate during the day, and if we went out after 1900, we were paid time and a half. Working 911 generally pays well but in order to get those jobs you have to have experience (that's where volunteerism comes in handy!) And as long as you have both recent training and recent experience, agencies will pay you fairly well to work for them.

4. I am not a driver. I am a directionally impaired medic who would rather pull out my toenails with pliers than drive in many cases....even with GPS. That will vary depending on your partner, though. One of my partners loved to drive so he did it all, others said "hey, I'll take this call...you can drive." It's all in the teamwork. I understand your fear after an accident. I have had three accidents, and one on a motorcycle and I know that driving a huge truck is a bit intimidating. You should take an EVOC course (emergency vehicle operators course) and it can help you ease your fears about driving. What I do know is that there is usually someone who really enjoys driving so if you don't want to, you probably won't have to.

In addition, if you're making this a career move, try to get on with a fire department. If that is your goal, though, you will also need firefighter training. They do it bassackwards here in Texas, they hire you as a firefighter and train you to be a medic. That will get you a leg up if you seek municipal employment. I'd tell you also to consider becoming a paramedic once you feel comfortable as an EMT. Go for a paramedic program that offers a degree- that way it is easier to transition to, say, nursing school. The reason is so that you will always have a degree to fall back on. I got my degree in EMS in 1994 but back then it wasn't near as popular or as recognized as it is now. Best of luck to you, and if you have any more questions, let me know!!!!