Thread: British academic- Spelling becoming "truely atrosious" hahaha

Ik achukmo-Tikba-Kafi Beth-Deth's Avatar

British academic- Spelling becoming "truely atrosious" hahaha

***I found this article in odd news (yahoo) He cannot be serious. ***

LONDON (Reuters) - Embaressed by yor spelling? Never you mind.

Fed up with his students' complete inability to spell common English correctly, a British academic has suggested it may be time to accept "variant spellings" as legitimate.

Rather than grammarians getting in a huff about "argument" being spelled "arguement" or "opportunity" as "opertunity," why not accept anything that's phonetically (fonetickly anyone?) correct as long as it can be understood?

"Instead of complaining about the state of the education system as we correct the same mistakes year after year, I've got a better idea," Ken Smith, a criminology lecturer at Bucks New University, wrote in the Times Higher Education Supplement.

"University teachers should simply accept as variant spelling those words our students most commonly misspell."

To kickstart his proposal, Smith suggested 10 common misspellings that should immediately be accepted into the pantheon of variants, including "ignor," "occured," "thier," "truely," "speach" and "twelth" (it should be "twelfth").

Then of course there are words like "misspelt" (often spelled "mispelt"), not to mention "varient," a commonly used variant of "variant."

And that doesn't even begin to delve into all the problems English people have with words that use the letters "i" and "e" together, like weird, seize, leisure, foreign and neighbor.

The rhyme "i before e except after c" may be on the lips of every schoolchild in Britain, but that doesn't mean they remember the rule by the time they get to university.

Of course, such proposals have been made in the past. The advent of text messaging turned many students into spelling neanderthals as phrases such as "wot r u doin 2nite?" became socially, if not academically, acceptable.

Despite Smith's suggestion, language mavens are unconvinced. John Simpson, the chief editor of the Oxford English Dictionary, says rules are rules and they are there for good reason.

"There are enormous advantages in having a coherent system of spelling," he told the Times newspaper.

"It makes it easier to communicate. Maybe during a learning phase there is some scope for error, but I would hope that by the time people get to university they have learnt to spell."

Yet even some of Britain's greatest wordsmiths have acknowledged it's a language with irritating quirkiness.

Playwright George Bernard Shaw was fond of pointing out that the word "ghoti" could just as well be pronounced "fish" if you followed common pronunciation: 'gh' as in "tough," 'o' as in "women" and 'ti' as in "nation."

And he was a playright.

"The female of the species, is more deadly than the male."

Re: British academic- Spelling becoming "truely atrosious" hahaha

[quote author=Beth-Deth link=topic=15590.msg959866#msg959866 date=1218220957]
    ***I found this article in odd news (yahoo) He cannot be serious. ***

LONDON (Reuters) - Embaressed by yor spelling? Never you mind.

Fed up with his students' complete inability to spell common English correctly, a British academic has suggested it may be time to accept "variant spellings" as legitimate.

Rather than grammarians getting in a huff about "argument" being spelled "arguement" or "opportunity" as "opertunity," why not accept anything that's phonetically (fonetickly anyone?) correct as long as it can be understood?

"Instead of complaining about the state of the education system as we correct the same mistakes year after year, I've got a better idea," Ken Smith, a criminology lecturer at Bucks New University, wrote in the Times Higher Education Supplement.

"University teachers should simply accept as variant spelling those words our students most commonly misspell."

To kickstart his proposal, Smith suggested 10 common misspellings that should immediately be accepted into the pantheon of variants, including "ignor," "occured," "thier," "truely," "speach" and "twelth" (it should be "twelfth").

Then of course there are words like "misspelt" (often spelled "mispelt"), not to mention "varient," a commonly used variant of "variant."

And that doesn't even begin to delve into all the problems English people have with words that use the letters "i" and "e" together, like weird, seize, leisure, foreign and neighbor.

The rhyme "i before e except after c" may be on the lips of every schoolchild in Britain, but that doesn't mean they remember the rule by the time they get to university.

Of course, such proposals have been made in the past. The advent of text messaging turned many students into spelling neanderthals as phrases such as "wot r u doin 2nite?" became socially, if not academically, acceptable.

Despite Smith's suggestion, language mavens are unconvinced. John Simpson, the chief editor of the Oxford English Dictionary, says rules are rules and they are there for good reason.

"There are enormous advantages in having a coherent system of spelling," he told the Times newspaper.

"It makes it easier to communicate. Maybe during a learning phase there is some scope for error, but I would hope that by the time people get to university they have learnt to spell."

Yet even some of Britain's greatest wordsmiths have acknowledged it's a language with irritating quirkiness.

Playwright George Bernard Shaw was fond of pointing out that the word "ghoti" could just as well be pronounced "fish" if you followed common pronunciation: 'gh' as in "tough," 'o' as in "women" and 'ti' as in "nation."

And he was a playright.

[/quote]

This is what I read here instead "Instead of trying to teach anyone the right way to do things, let's just ignore it. We'll use less red ink this way, and really we'll work less, and have time to drink! What do you say!?"

I know it's funny that I'm the one mentioning this!  :2smiley:
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

I think Smith is being facetious.&nbsp; He's probably fed up with it far worse than the rest of us.

It wouldn;t surprise me, however, if changes were made.&nbsp; 'Alot' might become a word.&nbsp; 'A whole nother' might become an acceptable phrase and &quot;loose&quot; might become the official spelling for &quot;lose&quot; since just about everyone makes that mistake nowadays.

Yeah, I know.&nbsp; It's &quot;rediculous.&quot;&nbsp; :lol:
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=15590.msg960015#msg960015 date=1218228537]
    I think Smith is being facetious.&nbsp; He's probably fed up with it far worse than the rest of us.

It wouldn;t surprise me, however, if changes were made.&nbsp; 'Alot' might become a word.&nbsp; 'A whole nother' might become an acceptable phrase and &quot;loose&quot; might become the official spelling for &quot;lose&quot; since just about everyone makes that mistake nowadays.

[/quote]

What did you think of this though? I about fell out of my chair laughing as I had never heard it put that way.

Playwright George Bernard Shaw was fond of pointing out that the word &quot;ghoti&quot; could just as well be pronounced &quot;fish&quot; if you followed common pronunciation: 'gh' as in &quot;tough,&quot; 'o' as in &quot;women&quot; and 'ti' as in &quot;nation.&quot;

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=15590.msg960015#msg960015 date=1218228537]

[/quote]

loose is a totally different word.&nbsp; I don't think we should reward morons by allowing their garbage in to the english vernacular.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=15590.msg960032#msg960032 date=1218229250]
    loose is a totally different word.&nbsp; I don't think we should reward morons by allowing their garbage in to the english vernacular.
    [/quote]

Exactly! I hate when people say that, I think of the real meaning and it throws me. I have to expect that some people can spell as well as others, but to encourage it seems certifiable.

I could imagine that it would be tough enough being an English prof. If you compound that with the terminology and spelling today, I would probably run screaming.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=15590.msg960032#msg960032 date=1218229250]
    [/quote]

But just about everyone it seems uses &quot;loose&quot; for &quot;lose.&quot; &nbsp;It blows my mind. &nbsp;

I don't think anything should change, either. &nbsp;I was using sarcasm. &nbsp;:lol: &nbsp;

But I do think that &quot;;&quot; and &quot; ' &quot; should be interchangeable since I always make that typo! &nbsp;:lol:

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=15590.msg960047#msg960047 date=1218230403]
    But just about everyone it seems uses &quot;loose&quot; for &quot;lose.&quot; &nbsp;It blows my mind. &nbsp;

I don't think anything should change, either. &nbsp;I was using sarcasm. &nbsp;:lol: &nbsp;

But I do think that &quot;;&quot; and &quot; ' &quot; should be interchangeable since I always make that typo! &nbsp;:lol:
    [/quote]
    &nbsp; You need to hang out with smarter people.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=15590.msg960146#msg960146 date=1218236448]
    &nbsp; You need to hang out with smarter people.

[/quote]

Read through the threads on this board someday.

I see it here quite often.&nbsp;

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=15590.msg960179#msg960179 date=1218239261]
    Read through the threads on this board someday.

I see it here quite often.&nbsp;

[/quote]

Some day, even.&nbsp; &nbsp; My eyes bleed quite often on here.&nbsp; Me either is the main offender.&nbsp; DIE!&nbsp; DIE ME EITHER DIE!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few thousand English aficionados just turned in their graves.

[quote author=Fleta link=topic=15590.msg962428#msg962428 date=1218388419]
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few thousand English aficionados just turned in their graves.
    [/quote]
    I turned in my chair. I was uncomfortable.

I don't expect people to have perfect spelling, grammar, and syntax on a message forum.
    On here, I pretty much write the way I think/talk. Slang, shorthand, etc... all acceptable in this format.
    Text message speak pisses me off... especially worse when it's taken OUT of text messages.

But when writing for an educational or professional institution, I do EXPECT any written format to be MODERATELY error-free. You're SUPPOSED to take the time to proofread, make changes, look up things you don't know. Writing isn't MEANT to be like THIS. It's a dying art, more and more with text messages and internet use. It's really quite sad.

I refuse to let anyone else do written reports for group work in school-- no one has argued with me yet.&nbsp; :lol:

He's a criminology professor..I get the feeling he was being facetious or trying to make a point of some kind.
    Or maybe he's serious and Jonathan Swift really did want to eat poor people&nbsp; :lol:

[quote author=Ren link=topic=15590.msg962507#msg962507 date=1218392992]
    He's a criminology professor..I get the feeling he was being facetious or trying to make a point of some kind.
    Or maybe he's serious and Jonathan Swift really did want to eat poor people&nbsp; :lol:
    [/quote]

I don't know about Swift, but I eat poor people. I call them filet poorgnon.

Thread Information