Missing boy's dad would welcome stepmom home if she can win release from jail

The father of a missing Wichita boy says he would welcome his wife home if she can win release from jail.

Jonathan Hernandez?s wife, Emily Glass, is seeking a lower bond so she can go home.

Glass is being held in jail on a $50,000 bond, charged with a misdemeanor ? endangering the couple?s 1-year-old daughter. Before she was charged, police announced that she had also been arrested on suspicion of endangering her missing 5-year-old stepson, Lucas Hernandez. Prosecutors charged her only with endangering her daughter.

In a phone interview with The Eagle on Monday ? the 23rd day that his son, Lucas, has been missing ? Jonathan Hernandez said: ?I am standing by her until either some other information comes out or something about the case breaks. If it involves her, obviously it would be different. Obviously, my thoughts would be changing if she was implicated in any way involving Lucas.?

Still, he said, ?Everybody has to be innocent until they?re proven guilty.?

There shouldn?t be a lynch-mob mentality against his wife, he said.

?I realize it?s frustrating for the public not to know? what happened to Lucas, he said.

He added he remains hopeful that his son will be found OK.

If his wife can obtain a lower bond and get out of jail, it would benefit her and their children ? their daughter and Lucas, Hernandez said.

?I?m sure we have a lot of things to do personally between her and me? if she gets released, he said.

Glass is asking a judge to change her bond so she can be released from jail and have contact with her family and other children.

?Defendant does not pose a threat or harm to the community,? her attorney contended in a court document filed in Sedgwick County District Court on Friday.

Wichita police and the FBI have been conducting a criminal investigation of the boy?s disappearance. Police, volunteers and a national group have assisted in looking for Lucas.

Glass?s attorney says that the stepmother?s $50,000 bond is too high.

Glass has been held in the Sedgwick County Jail since Feb. 21 on a charge of misdemeanor child endangerment. The charge alleges that she endangered her 1-year-old daughter.
http://www.kansas.com/latest-news/article204752704.html