Thread: Suicide Epidemic Grips Japan

Senior Member A Midnight Dreary's Avatar

Suicide Epidemic Grips Japan

TOKYO (July 21) - A suicide fad is sweeping Japan: Hundreds of Japanese have killed themselves this year by mixing ordinary household chemicals into a lethal cloud of poison gas that often injures others and forces the evacuation of entire apartment blocks.

The 517 self-inflicted deaths by hydrogen sulfide poisoning this year are part of a bigger, grimmer story: Nearly 34,000 Japanese killed themselves last year, according to the Japanese national police. That's the second-highest toll ever in a country where the suicide rate is ninth highest in the world and more than double that of the USA, the World Health Organization says.

Japan has long been known as a "nation of suicide," notes sociologist Kayoko Ueno at University of Tokushima. Samurai warriors famously chose seppuku — disemboweling themselves — over surrender. Japanese kamikaze pilots crashed their planes into targets during World War II.

"Suicide is not considered a sin," says sociologist Masahiro Yamada of Chuo University in Tokyo. "We've made it a bit of a virtue."

Authorities are alarmed now that suicide has reached epidemic levels.

A few years ago, suicidal Japanese were meeting each other online, driving out into the countryside, shutting themselves up in the back of vans and killing themselves in clouds of carbon monoxide by burning charcoal briquettes. "People really want to be connected. People got together to die," says anti-suicide activist Koji Tsukino, 43.
    Tsukino, a recovering alcoholic and drug user who tried to kill himself 10 times before he turned 30, says the latest suicide craze is even scarier than those in the past.

Hydrogen sulfide is dangerous even to those who don't want to kill themselves. The toxic gas can carry into neighboring buildings and apartments. In April, 80 people were injured and another 120 had to be evacuated after a 14-year-old girl killed herself with hydrogen sulfide in southern Japan's Kochi prefecture. She'd left a note on the door of her family's apartment that said, "Gas being emitted. Don't open," according to the Kyodo news service.
    Police have asked Internet service providers to ban websites that promote suicide — but with only mixed success.
    "If just one person decided not to do it, that would be great," Tsukino says. "They might go on to get married and have children."

http://news.aol.com/health/article/suicide-epidemic-grips-japan/91471?icid=100214839x1206155117x1200315735

Re: Suicide Epidemic Grips Japan

This is something I've always been curious about...why suicide is so huge in Japan. That's interesting that he said it wasn't a sin, it was almost a virtue. And he tried to kill himself 10 times and then just gave up trying? That's insane!

....Nearly 34,000 Japanese killed themselves last year...
    :-o Wow even in a place as populated as Japan a figure like this is scary! I remember a few months back reading something about teenagers getting together to jump in front of trains and things like that together.  :|
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;We&#39;re all fucked. It helps to remember that.&quot;<br />- George Carlin

This is something new?

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=15283.msg938908#msg938908 date=1216698210]
    This is something new?
    [/quote]

I know, I swear I read this article before. Even the &quot; do not open, gas emitted&quot; sign is very familiar.

While I was looking up that link for Suzy Gonzales (in the Suicide Group thread), I happened upon a reference to a book called &quot;The Complete Manual of Suicide.&quot; It was published in 1993 in Japan and considered a &quot;harmful publication.&quot;

Here's an article about it that I thought was interesting:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/suicide-manual-rocks-japanese-society-704602.html

If this were ever translated, I'd really like to read it just to say that I did.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=15283.msg938908#msg938908 date=1216698210]
    This is something new?
    [/quote]
    Well, I've known that Japan's been high up in the rankings on the number of suicides for a LONG time, but I've never heard anything about this specific method. They're SO creative.
    [quote author=rps67 link=topic=15283.msg945725#msg945725 date=1217294610]
    While I was looking up that link for Suzy Gonzales (in the Suicide Group thread), I happened upon a reference to a book called &quot;The Complete Manual of Suicide.&quot; It was published in 1993 in Japan and considered a &quot;harmful publication.&quot;

Here's an article about it that I thought was interesting:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/suicide-manual-rocks-japanese-society-704602.html

If this were ever translated, I'd really like to read it just to say that I did.
    [/quote]
    WOW...That's unthinkable that a book like that would exist. Well, to me it is. Perhaps I'm sheltered. If anyone published a book like that, though, my money would definitely be on the Japanese.
    I would love to read it, as well. I bet it's chilling.
    If you ever hear of it being translated, please let us know!

[quote author=sue_vicious link=topic=15283.msg945736#msg945736 date=1217295103]
    Well, I've known that Japan's been high up in the rankings on the number of suicides for a LONG time, but I've never heard anything about this specific method. They're SO creative.WOW...That's unthinkable that a book like that would exist. Well, to me it is. Perhaps I'm sheltered. If anyone published a book like that, though, my money would definitely be on the Japanese.
    I would love to read it, as well. I bet it's chilling.
    If you ever hear of it being translated, please let us know!
    [/quote]

I guess I'm not that suprised that such a book exists because there seems to be nothing that's sacred in the publishing world.

Another book that I found during this meandering last night is Final Exit:

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Exit-Third-Practicalities-Self-Deliverance/dp/0385336535/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&amp;s=books&amp;qid=121729 5270&amp;sr=8-1

This is apparently aimed at the terminally ill, so it's a bit different than the Japanese book. I love to read anything controversial, and I think this one fits.

Senior Member skindeep_curiosity's Avatar

Watch the Japanese movie &quot;Suicide Club.&quot; It's creepy.

Thread Information