Thread: This is how my day is going ...

This is how my day is going ...

Note - I opened my Zoom early because I knew that my students would forget the time for their finals. Yep, six came at the wrong time.

Student 1 - You're early. Oh, I forgot.
    Me: Ok
    Student 1 - I have a question.
    Me: What is it?
    Student 1 - My partner and I didn't present last class but you called on us.
    Me: Why didn't you answer?
    Student 1 - You just called her name and I didn't know you meant me too. (KEYWORD - partner)

Note - She wasn't there. I kept checking because it was a presentation day. Her partner's name (Student 2) was online but she's rarely there. She told me her Zoom doesn't work right. Amazingly, this happens in multiple classes she has with me. I've had her call the HelpDesk and Zoom; both said nothing was wrong.

Me: You didn't know your partner's name?
    Student 1 - I know her name but I thought maybe there was another one in class too.

Note - If she came to class, she would have known we only have one. Also, the partner list has been on VH since week 3. Besides, the name is not that common.

Y'll never guess what happened next. Student 2 showed up on time and her Zoom worked!

MY HEAD HURTS!!!

On the bright side, most of the ones who presented today put in the work and did a good job.

I raise my hat to you-I would never have the patience to teach.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I raise my hat to you-I would never have the patience to teach.
    This. Teaching adults who are paying hundreds of $$$ to be in class is trying enough, but the kids who don't have their $$ on the line, and have no idea that school is for their own good. No way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I'm a college professor, who sometimes feels like I'm in a high school. To make it worse, this is a senior-level college class. Although I do teach theory, I also insist on my students learning how to apply the theories to real-life applications. I do it for two reasons. First, they could just buy the test bank online and that's not fair play. Second, and most importantly, I want them to have advantages in life. They can walk into a job interview and actually understand what they need to do. I always tell them to carry a copy of their projects that they can talk about in an interview. I have taken groups into an empty board room and taught them how to put together a kick-ass portfolio, which I pay for the needed materials. I have never wanted anything in return but for them to succeed. (Full Disclosure - When any of my advisees becomes rich and famous, they have to contribute $5 a month to my nursing home bill ).

I'm just really frustrated right now. I have thought about retiring. The first retirement package came around about 3 years ago and I was too young. This time I'm barely old enough but the years needed have increased and I'm one short.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    I'm a college professor, who sometimes feels like I'm in a high school. To make it worse, this is a senior-level college class. Although I do teach theory, I also insist on my students learning how to apply the theories to real-life applications. I do it for two reasons. First, they could just buy the test bank online and that's not fair play. Second, and most importantly, I want them to have advantages in life. They can walk into a job interview and actually understand what they need to do. I always tell them to carry a copy of their projects that they can talk about in an interview. I have taken groups into an empty board room and taught them how to put together a kick-ass portfolio, which I pay for the needed materials. I have never wanted anything in return but for them to succeed. (Full Disclosure - When any of my advisees becomes rich and famous, they have to contribute $5 a month to my nursing home bill ).

I'm just really frustrated right now. I have thought about retiring. The first retirement package came around about 3 years ago and I was too young. This time I'm barely old enough but the years needed have increased and I'm one short.
    It sounds like you're the kind of professor we need many more of!

I understand your frustration though. I don't think I would be able to do it. I'm glad you have the near future option to retire if you decide to!

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post

I have to say, this has been the toughest year of my career. I feel like a jerk because things have been really easy for us compared to what others are going through, but still. I could retire, but then I don't think I could afford mom's caregiver, and staying home and taking care of an invalid is even more daunting than continuing to work, so here we are. I hope you at least get a nice break as the semester is ending? I'm on a 12 month contract so no summer break for me.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I have to say, this has been the toughest year of my career. I feel like a jerk because things have been really easy for us compared to what others are going through, but still. I could retire, but then I don't think I could afford mom's caregiver, and staying home and taking care of an invalid is even more daunting than continuing to work, so here we are. I hope you at least get a nice break as the semester is ending? I'm on a 12 month contract so no summer break for me.
    What do you do for a living? I just realized I don't know!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    What do you do for a living? I just realized I don't know!
    I'm a librarian in an engineering university. Teach a few classes, crawl around under tables connecting cables, tell people "no you can't get to that site unless you are on campus or use VPN" look for pictures other things related to campus history... But here lately we've been switching over to a mostly virtual library. Discarding books and moving everything that's left into storage so they can remodel our building. It's tearing my heart out!

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I'm a librarian in an engineering university. Teach a few classes, crawl around under tables connecting cables, tell people "no you can't get to that site unless you are on campus or use VPN" look for pictures other things related to campus history... But here lately we've been switching over to a mostly virtual library. Discarding books and moving everything that's left into storage so they can remodel our building. It's tearing my heart out!
    How fun! The first part....the last part is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information