Thread: My dog hurt herself, how can I help?

My dog hurt herself, how can I help?

I know, take her to a Vet.  But where I live, the vet isn't in until morning.  When my hubby got home, she jumped off of the couch and started whining in pain.  She can walk on the leg, favors it, but it's not impossible.  I felt around a bit, and her leg is swollen at that joint in the leg,the ulna I think?  I would  say it's her in human talk elbow/knee...it's a upper joint injury in basic. 

I gave her an aspirin, and a Benadryl to relax her, she's got an ice pack on. Is there anything else I can do to make her comfortable till I can get her into the vet?

Re: My dog hurt herself, how can I help?

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=14684.msg890625#msg890625 date=1213327714]
    I know, take her to a Vet.  But where I live, the vet isn't in until morning.  When my hubby got home, she jumped off of the couch and started whining in pain.  She can walk on the leg, favors it, but it's not impossible.  I felt around a bit, and her leg is swollen at that joint in the leg,the ulna I think?  I would  say it's her in human talk elbow/knee...it's a upper joint injury in basic. 

I gave her an aspirin, and a Benadryl to relax her, she's got an ice pack on. Is there anything else I can do to make her comfortable till I can get her into the vet?
    [/quote]

I just texted my daughter who is a Vet Tech at a University animal hospital. 

She said that there is a ligament at a dog's "knee".  Google:  Luxating Patella in Dogs

She also said that glucosamine and chondroitin supplements may help dog's joints.

Good luck at the vet!!  Keep us posted on her progress.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=14684.msg890625#msg890625 date=1213327714]

[/quote]Don't feed her, in case they need to sedate her for x-rays...

This is advice for humans, but hey...
    R.I.C.E method

Rest the injured part, especially for the first 24 to 48 hours after the injury – this is the most critical time of treatment. Avoid any activity that causes pain or makes it worse. Use crutches if the leg, foot or ankle is injured. Support an injured wrist, arm or shoulder with a sling. Tape an injured toe or finger to its healthy neighbour.
    Ice is an excellent anti-inflammatory and reduces swelling and pain. Apply an ice pack or cold compresses for 10-15 minutes as soon as possible after an injury. Repeat each hour for the first 3 or 4 hours, then 4 times a day for the next 2-3 days. Protect your skin with a thin cloth. If ice packs are not available, a packet of frozen vegetables in a cloth will do.
    Compression also reduces swelling. Use elastic bandages for at least 2 days. Check that the bandage is snug, but not too tight. Take the bandage off at night.
    Elevation drains fluids from injured tissues. Elevate the injured area whenever you are sitting or lying down. Try to keep the injured area at or above the level of the heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=14684.msg890665#msg890665 date=1213328414]
    I just texted my daughter who is a Vet Tech at a University animal hospital. 

She said that there is a ligament at a dog's "knee".  Google:  Luxating Patella in Dogs"

She also said that glucosamine and chondroitin supplements may help dog's joints.

Good luck at the vet!!  Keep us posted on her progress.
    [/quote]

Thank you!!!  Thank your daughter too!  I've been googling and there really hasn't been much to help, it eventually goes onto human conditions

She's an older dog, so I wondered if the jump hurt her like how I hurt my back and whatnot.  She cracks and pops a lot.  So the glucosamine is going to have to be a must.  She's a bird dog, and needs like 90 minutes of excercise a day, so she has some heavily used joints and bones, tendons..

I just hope nothing is broken :(  And if it is, I hope my vet isn't so much of a hick, he can't set up payment plans.  My husband is pacin, i'm trying to get HIM to settle down so she'll settle down.  I think she'll be ok till morning provided she just lay still.

I should probably put her food a bit closer for her...I've been steady spoiling her right now with cheese and other goodies she likes so she's not in danger of starving. I just wanna make sure she drinks.

ugh i'm worried and shaking too, dogs truly are like our kids.  Screw anyone who doesn't believe it.

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=14684.msg890682#msg890682 date=1213328754]
    Don't feed her, in case they need to sedate her for x-rays...

This is advice for humans, but hey...
    R.I.C.E method

Rest the injured part, especially for the first 24 to 48 hours after the injury – this is the most critical time of treatment. Avoid any activity that causes pain or makes it worse. Use crutches if the leg, foot or ankle is injured. Support an injured wrist, arm or shoulder with a sling. Tape an injured toe or finger to its healthy neighbour.
    Ice is an excellent anti-inflammatory and reduces swelling and pain. Apply an ice pack or cold compresses for 10-15 minutes as soon as possible after an injury. Repeat each hour for the first 3 or 4 hours, then 4 times a day for the next 2-3 days. Protect your skin with a thin cloth. If ice packs are not available, a packet of frozen vegetables in a cloth will do.
    Compression also reduces swelling. Use elastic bandages for at least 2 days. Check that the bandage is snug, but not too tight. Take the bandage off at night.
    Elevation drains fluids from injured tissues. Elevate the injured area whenever you are sitting or lying down. Try to keep the injured area at or above the level of the heart.

[/quote]

Ok, no more feeding her  :-(  I wont eat anything either so she doesn't want for it, poor thing.

She just totally got off of the floor and jumped up onto the couch without me even noticing her.  She didn't yelp.  I'm reading about this luxating patella and it's exactly what is happening.  She's a little lame, but not yelping anymore, and just favoring it when she walks.  I'm so glad to have found it because as far as finding animal injury help, it's pretty difficult on the interwebz.  I figured it'd be easier to post it here, where I know there's a ton of animal lovers/caretakers.

I put the ice packet back in the freezer..i'm gonna ice it every 20 min till I go to bed.  She's propped with some comforters like a pillow, she's comfy.

I love her, it makes me so sad when she got hurt.  It's horrible because all they can do is yelp, they can't tell you, whoa, it hurts RIGHT here.  She's my first dog, I've had her since a puppy.  She's 8 years old, and she's my baby, definitely MY dog..not so much the family dog, like our Hank is.

Any updates on your poochie?
    born to be down

I hope she's okay. :( What sort of dog is she?

i hope your doggies OK..

i have an older dog too.. it breaks my heart when he yelps like that because he cant tell me exactly whats wrong or what i can do to help

:2sad:
    ask me questions damnit<br />http://www.formspring.me/bama

I hope the doggy is okay.
    Sounds like what happened to Joe's dog.&nbsp; It was repaired through surgery.&nbsp; The vet said it wouldn't heal on its own.

Thread Information