Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Sexism: a thread for at least me (bowie) to be mad in

mydeathspace

Re: Sexism: a thread for at least me (bowie) to be mad in

[quote author=Natasha_XO link=topic=14534.msg880033#msg880033 date=1212684973]
    um yes, margaret cho rocks.  good taste loves. 
    [/quote]

ugghhh..

90% of female comics are crap.

Then again, 90% of male comics also suck.

Just wanted to leave my sexist mark on this thread though.

Chicks suck.

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=14534.msg885352#msg885352 date=1212986937]
    ugghhh..

Chicks suck.
    [/quote]

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me.  Sadly though, I can't blame it on being that time of the month. 

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=14534.msg885352#msg885352 date=1212986937]
    ugghhh..

Chicks suck.
    [/quote]

99% of ALL comics suck.

[quote author=kara! link=topic=14534.msg885229#msg885229 date=1212980440]
    What about Heart? The two sisters were the only permanent members, and they made it big. That was even way back in the day.

Although I must say, I see way more sexism not necessarily in the number of female artists, but rather in the way that female artists are represented. The sexier you are and the more skin you show, well obviously, the more popular you are. If that's the way they want to be, fine with me, but it just seems like the entire music industry is built around women's looks more than women's talent. Edit: I realize it's the same way with men in the music industry, but not to the same extent as with women.

And on a side note, I love Tina Fey so much. I read in a magazine that she was voted as one of the top 100 hot women in some guys' magazine, and she chose not to submit a picture. She was quoted something like "Yes, it's certainly a career move, but not one that I'm interested in taking." I always felt like those lists were degrading and offensive to the women who never put themselves out to be objectified.

Hey, anyone read Bitch magazine?
    [/quote]

I loooooove Bitch. I now have a gift subscription to Bust... which is ok... but I feel too much like they talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

As for Heart... in their Behind the Music, Ann talked about how because she was a heavyset woman... they told her that she was the voice and Nancy was the face. Even they got screwed. And the fact that it's even POSSIBLE to make a list of successful women musicians says tons. Make a list of successful man musicians. You can't, cause it's infinite.

I hadn't looked at this thread before tonight because as a tride and true feminist... sometimes I find the whole topic too depressing. Especially the part where people will be like... there is no sexism anymore... or... that it's just something you have to deal with. Yes, social sexism is something that can probably be erradicated... but institutionalized sexism is a different story. At least I think it is. Institutionalized sexism has tangible qualities that can be identified and changed. But something like Christopher Hitchens saying women aren't funny is different... it's equally asinine... but it's not funny/

Also, a few months ago Vanity Fair published a cover story about funny women, featuring Tina Fey, Sarah Silverman, Amy Poehler etc. And I found that article to be just as sexist because inevitably... they started talking about how attractive these "funny" women are vs. non "funny" women celebrities.

IMO, Lisa Lampinelli = hilarious

Sarah SIlverman = trying too hard.

"My friend, blood shaking my heart/The awful daring of a moment's surrender/Which an age of prudence can never retract/ By this, and this only, we have existed" -T.S. Elliot, "The Waste Land"

[quote author=IFeelBadAboutThis link=topic=14534.msg885431#msg885431 date=1212992627]
    I loooooove Bitch. I now have a gift subscription to Bust... which is ok... but I feel too much like they talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

As for Heart... in their Behind the Music, Ann talked about how because she was a heavyset woman... they told her that she was the voice and Nancy was the face. Even they got screwed. And the fact that it's even POSSIBLE to make a list of successful women musicians says tons. Make a list of successful man musicians. You can't, cause it's infinite.

I hadn't looked at this thread before tonight because as a tride and true feminist... sometimes I find the whole topic too depressing. Especially the part where people will be like... there is no sexism anymore... or... that it's just something you have to deal with. Yes, social sexism is something that can probably be erradicated... but institutionalized sexism is a different story. At least I think it is. Institutionalized sexism has tangible qualities that can be identified and changed. But something like Christopher Hitchens saying women aren't funny is different... it's equally asinine... but it's not funny/

Also, a few months ago Vanity Fair published a cover story about funny women, featuring Tina Fey, Sarah Silverman, Amy Poehler etc. And I found that article to be just as sexist because inevitably... they started talking about how attractive these "funny" women are vs. non "funny" women celebrities.

IMO, Lisa Lampinelli = hilarious

Sarah SIlverman = trying too hard.

[/quote]

Hope you don't bring this stuff up on a first date.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

[quote author=Wick link=topic=14534.msg886305#msg886305 date=1213062347]

Hope you don't bring this stuff up on a first date.
    [/quote]

I am married so I haven't had a first date in 5 years... but now that you mention it... my now husband and I did talk about Feminism on our first date. It's one of the reasons I married him.

But I usually save the long winded diatribes for message boards and the like.
    "My friend, blood shaking my heart/The awful daring of a moment's surrender/Which an age of prudence can never retract/ By this, and this only, we have existed" -T.S. Elliot, "The Waste Land"

[quote author=IFeelBadAboutThis link=topic=14534.msg886351#msg886351 date=1213065280]
    I am married so I haven't had a first date in 5 years... but now that you mention it... my now husband and I did talk about Feminism on our first date. It's one of the reasons I married him.

But I usually save the long winded diatribes for message boards and the like.
    [/quote]

Wow the things some guys will do to....um...never mind.

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=14534.msg886355#msg886355 date=1213065417]
    [/quote]

:lol:

<br />[quote author=skindeep_curiosity]<br />I&#39;m so glad I love the meat. <br />[/quote]

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=14534.msg886355#msg886355 date=1213065417]
    [/quote]

To what? Be committed to one person for the rest of their life? You're right... he really played me...
    &quot;My friend, blood shaking my heart/The awful daring of a moment&#039;s surrender/Which an age of prudence can never retract/ By this, and this only, we have existed&quot; -T.S. Elliot, &quot;The Waste Land&quot;

Wow, again. feminism by definition means a belief in the equal status of men and women.&nbsp; Any person that doesn't agree with that is an asshole, anyway.&nbsp; If I went on a date with a guy who didn't agree with that sentiment, I would be out the door before we even got our drinks.

Gee. If feminism allows women to lose their sense of humor then I guess I'm against it. :lol:
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

[quote author=Wick link=topic=14534.msg886650#msg886650 date=1213079229]
    Gee. If feminism allows women to lose their sense of humor then I guess I'm against it. :lol:
    [/quote]

Hey! I said Lisa Lampinelli was funny! I have a sense of humour!
    &quot;My friend, blood shaking my heart/The awful daring of a moment&#039;s surrender/Which an age of prudence can never retract/ By this, and this only, we have existed&quot; -T.S. Elliot, &quot;The Waste Land&quot;

[quote author=Wick link=topic=14534.msg886650#msg886650 date=1213079229]
    [/quote]

I thought women weren't funny anyway?

Plus I don't think anything Hippy has said is funny at all.

We shouldnt' tell comics what kind of jokes to do cos some MAN - wrote those were the type of jokes women do to fit in with the boys. No one else see the oddity of that? &quot;oh don't do fart jokes Sarah , men do does jokes do something else&quot;

bleh. I love being girl powered as long as it's not going by rules a man is stating , or any other women to be honest, being a female I'm about my OWN rules. I like being pro female as long as it's not anti men.

I love being a female. PERIOD. and when it comes to comics it's all subjective! What I find funny may not be what you find funny.&nbsp; I love Dave Chapelle the most, and that doesnt' make me anti female.

I love female musicians. P.J harvey, Liz phair, le tigre, brat modible, patti smith, jonie mitchel, missy elliot, miss dynomite,.. etc.
    if they write their own music GREAT! if not so what! they're still singing it. Theirs a ton of male musicians that don't do their own writing, and no one ever says shit about that.

k that'll be my urine in this thread.
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

Why are men better at cooking than women?

[quote author=Wick link=topic=14534.msg896836#msg896836 date=1213769979]
    Why are men better at cooking than women?
    [/quote]
    Because women are supposed to cook hearty, homecooked meals, while professional chefs are supposed to make fancy food.&nbsp; It's not that men are better cooks, but that a good CHEF is a highly regarded position, one that commands authority, and therefor easier for men to gain then women.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=14534.msg896924#msg896924 date=1213780842]
    Because women are supposed to cook hearty, homecooked meals, while professional chefs are supposed to make fancy food.&nbsp; It's not that men are better cooks, but that a good CHEF is a highly regarded position, one that commands authority, and therefor easier for men to gain then women.

[/quote]

Women can't bbq.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=14534.msg885386#msg885386 date=1212989827]
    99% of ALL comics suck.
    [/quote]

I'll second that.&nbsp; I haven't seen a comic that I thought was good in a long time.&nbsp; Not since people like Steve Martin and Gilda Radner were in their prime.

Humor without vulgarity is scarce these days.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

[quote author=Wick link=topic=14534.msg897483#msg897483 date=1213824958]

Women can't bbq.
    [/quote]

False.&nbsp; You and Vaga come over and I will prove you wrong.

I love it when I come on here and see my name.&nbsp; :2smiley:

oh and wick can't and won't are two different things.&nbsp; :lol:
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

[quote author=IFeelBadAboutThis link=topic=14534.msg886576#msg886576 date=1213074477]
    To what? Be committed to one person for the rest of their life? You're right... he really played me...
    [/quote]

He had you at &quot;suffrage.&quot;

Thread Information