Thread: John Parisis (37) died from a heart attack on an all day hike

John Parisis (37) died from a heart attack on an all day hike

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2010/10/08/John_Parisis_%2837%29_died_from_a_heart_attack_aft er_he_became_stuck_in_an_ice_crevasse_on_a_glacier

This guy weighed 339 pounds. I wonder what ever possessed him to go on an all day hike if he wasn't in good physical condition? He died trying to squeeze through a gap that was 14 inches at the waist.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Re: John Parisis (37) died from a heart attack on an all day hike

He's not American therefore I doubt this story.

Greece is 5th and Australia 6th on the fat-o-meter, though! (Is that what you meant?)

Rank    Countries    Amount
    # 1  United States: 30.6% 
    # 2  Mexico: 24.2% 
    # 3  United Kingdom: 23% 
    # 4  Slovakia: 22.4% 
    # 5  Greece: 21.9% 
    # 6  Australia: 21.7%

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

Australian tourist John Parisis dies in New Zealand Franz Josef Glacier fall

AN Australian tourist has died after falling off a glacier in New Zealand.

John Parisis was taking part in a guided walk yesterday afternoon on the Franz Josef Glacier when he slipped, New Zealand Police said.

The 38-year-old from New South Wales had been negotiating a path along the bottom of a crevasse.

A rescue operation was carried out by the glacier guide company but attempts to revive Mr Parisis failed.

Police were investigating the incident. Sky News said police were trying to reach Mr Parisis's family, but said they were not in Australia.

The Franz Josef is a 12km-long glacier located in Westland National Park on the west coast of New Zealand's South Island.

Mr Parisis's death is the third Australian fatality on a New Zealand glacier in the past 18 months.

Earlier in 2009, two brothers, also from Melbourne, were crushed to death by hundreds of tonnes of ice when they ignored warning signs and walked far beyond a safety barrier.

Akshay Miranda, 22, and Ashish Miranda, 24, were on holiday in New Zealand with their parents.

Only Ashish's body was able to be recovered after the ice cliff fell on the brothers on January 8.

Ten years ago, another Australian, a 39-year-old Melbourne man, was found dead on the glacier in May 2000, at least two weeks after it was believed he had fallen 40m into a crevasse.

About 600,000 people visit New Zealand's two main glaciers, Fox Glacier and Franz Josef, every year.

http://www.news.com.au/world/aussie-tourist-john-parisis-dies-in-new-zealand-franz-joseph-glacier-fall/story-e6frfkyi-1225879100995
    I won't feel sorry for me, I'm getting drunk
    But I'd much rather be somewhere with you

So did he slip or have a heart attack?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=27325.msg1733200#msg1733200 date=1286608332]
    [/quote]

in news articles it says he slipped

here's a loving memory fb http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=125015417537959

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=27325.msg1733200#msg1733200 date=1286608332]
    [/quote]

When he died he was trying to squeeze through a gap that was 45cm wide at shoulder height and 36cm at waist level. It was just 23cm at the base,where Mr Parisis became wedged when he collapsed.
    Pathologist Martin Sage said Mr Parisis died of "sudden cardiac arrest in the context of severe exertion and obesity".

When I read the article I took it to mean that he got wedged in the ice, struggled to get out, and died of a heart attack from exertion.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Investigations-launched-into-Australians-glacier-death/tabid/309/articleID/160604/Default.aspx video

they didn't say anything about him having a heart attack,they said he slipped and fell.

[quote author=rachy link=topic=27325.msg1733210#msg1733210 date=1286610236]
    http://www.3news.co.nz/Investigations-launched-into-Australians-glacier-death/tabid/309/articleID/160604/Default.aspx video

they didn't say anything about him having a heart attack,they said he slipped and fell.
    [/quote]

It says it in the MDS article.

[quote author=Rhythmisasadist link=topic=27325.msg1733214#msg1733214 date=1286610883]
    It says it in the MDS article.
    [/quote]

i know,i meant in that video they said he slipped and fell.

Conflicting versions of glacier death

JOHN PARISIS was a healthy man when he set off on a guided hike on New Zealand's Franz Josef Glacier, his family says.

Mr Parisis, 37, collapsed on Saturday while walking along the bottom of a crevasse as part of a tour group on the South Island's west coast. Attempts to revive him failed.

His cousin, Tina Vasilakis, said he had undergone blood tests before he left Australia for a holiday. ''He was healthy, he was happy,'' she said. ''He was fine.''
    Advertisement: Story continues below

Police in New Zealand are investigating Mr Parisis's death, but there was intense speculation in Franz Josef township yesterday over whether he fell and then suffered a heart attack, or vice versa.

A Hokitika police sergeant, Russell Glue, said Mr Parisis was walking along the bottom of a crevasse with a tour group led by Franz Josef Glacier Guides when he slipped and fell.

He was flown from the heart of the glacier, well above the terminal face, to Franz Josef township, where he was met by paramedics.

It is not known whether the Sydney man was alive by the time he reached the town.

Ms Vasilakis said her cousin was working at pharmaceutical company Roche until earlier this year, when he was made redundant. He had been planning to move to Switzerland to look for work in the same industry, she said. ''He was young, energetic, adventurous. He was a good person,'' Ms Vasilakis said.

Mr Parisis was born in Australia, but had lived in Greece for 20 years before returning, she said.

He had no immediate family here and a relative was planning to fly from Greece to accompany his body back to their homeland. The family had been told an autopsy was likely to be carried out today, she said.

Glacier tours were cancelled yesterday after Mr Parisis's death. ''We were surprised to hear about the death because, when we did the hike last time, the guides were very safety conscious,'' a British tourist, Jessica Phillips, said.

''We were told a man with a heart condition had died.''

John Thorburn, the chief executive of Ngai Tahu Tourism, which owns the tour guide company, said the man had ''pitched forward and lost consciousness''.

It is the fourth Australian death on New Zealand glaciers in 18 months.

A 39-year-old Melbourne man was found dead last May, at least two weeks after it was believed he had fallen 40 metres into a crevasse.

Earlier in 2009, two brothers aged 22 and 24, also from Melbourne, were crushed to death by 1200 tonnes of ice when they jumped over safety barriers to take a closer look at the Fox Glacier terminal face.

Easy access to Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers encourages about 600,000 people to visit each year.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/conflicting-versions-of-glacier-death-20100613-y64d.html

[quote author=rachy link=topic=27325.msg1733224#msg1733224 date=1286611609]
    Conflicting versions of glacier death

JOHN PARISIS was a healthy man when he set off on a guided hike on New Zealand's Franz Josef Glacier, his family says.

Mr Parisis, 37, collapsed on Saturday while walking along the bottom of a crevasse as part of a tour group on the South Island's west coast. Attempts to revive him failed.

His cousin, Tina Vasilakis, said he had undergone blood tests before he left Australia for a holiday. ''He was healthy, he was happy,'' she said. ''He was fine.''
    Advertisement: Story continues below

Police in New Zealand are investigating Mr Parisis's death, but there was intense speculation in Franz Josef township yesterday over whether he fell and then suffered a heart attack, or vice versa.

A Hokitika police sergeant, Russell Glue, said Mr Parisis was walking along the bottom of a crevasse with a tour group led by Franz Josef Glacier Guides when he slipped and fell.

He was flown from the heart of the glacier, well above the terminal face, to Franz Josef township, where he was met by paramedics.

It is not known whether the Sydney man was alive by the time he reached the town.

Ms Vasilakis said her cousin was working at pharmaceutical company Roche until earlier this year, when he was made redundant. He had been planning to move to Switzerland to look for work in the same industry, she said. ''He was young, energetic, adventurous. He was a good person,'' Ms Vasilakis said.

Mr Parisis was born in Australia, but had lived in Greece for 20 years before returning, she said.

He had no immediate family here and a relative was planning to fly from Greece to accompany his body back to their homeland. The family had been told an autopsy was likely to be carried out today, she said.

Glacier tours were cancelled yesterday after Mr Parisis's death. ''We were surprised to hear about the death because, when we did the hike last time, the guides were very safety conscious,'' a British tourist, Jessica Phillips, said.

''We were told a man with a heart condition had died.''

John Thorburn, the chief executive of Ngai Tahu Tourism, which owns the tour guide company, said the man had ''pitched forward and lost consciousness''.

It is the fourth Australian death on New Zealand glaciers in 18 months.

A 39-year-old Melbourne man was found dead last May, at least two weeks after it was believed he had fallen 40 metres into a crevasse.

Earlier in 2009, two brothers aged 22 and 24, also from Melbourne, were crushed to death by 1200 tonnes of ice when they jumped over safety barriers to take a closer look at the Fox Glacier terminal face.

Easy access to Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers encourages about 600,000 people to visit each year.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/conflicting-versions-of-glacier-death-20100613-y64d.html
    [/quote]
    oh okay.

He seemed a bit too weighty to really be called 'healthy' as his family said he was. Just because he passed blood tests doesn't make him healthy. It sounds like they make it clear how exhausting the hike could be for someone not in shape. I guess he felt that he could do it.

Weird how on a hike with a lot of other people they can't agree on whether he just dropped over or got stuck in a crevice. He may have been behind where not everyone was paying attention to him, though.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=27325.msg1733336#msg1733336 date=1286640900]
    He seemed a bit too weighty to really be called 'healthy' as his family said he was. Just because he passed blood tests doesn't make him healthy. It sounds like they make it clear how exhausting the hike could be for someone not in shape. I guess he felt that he could do it.

Weird how on a hike with a lot of other people they can't agree on whether he just dropped over or got stuck in a crevice. He may have been behind where not everyone was paying attention to him, though.
    [/quote]Right?! It's a pretty big distinction between "He was stuck and it took us 15 min to get him out" and "HE FELL TO HIS DEATH." Maybe the tour group thinks its chances of getting sued are less if they're like well, he was a fatass and got stuck. :? (I like this smiley today.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

[quote author=Nancy Drew link=topic=27325.msg1733561#msg1733561 date=1286664148]
    Right?! It's a pretty big distinction between "He was stuck and it took us 15 min to get him out" and "HE FELL TO HIS DEATH." Maybe the tour group thinks its chances of getting sued are less if they're like well, he was a fatass and got stuck. :? (I like this smiley today.)
    [/quote]

You would think even the dimmest of people could tell the difference.

Maybe he was 9 feet tall.  Was he 9 feet tall?  Just brainstorming here.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=27325.msg1733566#msg1733566 date=1286664892]
    Maybe he was 9 feet tall.   Was he 9 feet tall?  Just brainstorming here.
    [/quote]

He was 6.25 feet or something like that after I converted from whatever metric unit they use to measure height.

hmm, fat then.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=27325.msg1733572#msg1733572 date=1286665127]
    hmm, fat then.
    [/quote]

Yep. Undertall and overweight.

Thread Information