Thread: Spiders invade hospital and force closure

Olivia

Spiders invade hospital and force closure

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23588114-2,00.html

AN OUTBACK Queensland hospital will close temporarily to deal with a poisonous redback spider infestation after concerns they could fall from the ceiling on to patient beds.

Pest controllers were brought in to fumigate the 10-bed multipurpose health service at Baralaba - a town of about 290 people an hour's drive from Moura, in central Queensland.

Fumigator Bruce Dekker, of CQ Propest Services, said the wooden hospital's ceiling was infested with hundreds of redbacks.

"What we're concerned about is that we may get redbacks dropping through some of the air-conditioning ducting or through . . . exhaust fans," he said. "We're concerned that some of these openings are above the patients' beds."

Two aged care residents have been taken to Moura Hospital to allow fumigators to treat the hospital today.

The process will be repeated in a few weeks.

Queensland Health's nursing director for the area, Ellen Palmer, said a general practitioner's surgery would be available for anyone needing medical treatment during the fumigation.

Mrs Palmer said Queensland Health had decided to evacuate the hospital as the safest course of action.

"It's not something that we took lightly" she said. "Nobody's been bitten, but it's purely because the staff are very vigilant.

"You can't really expect that to happen all the time."

Mr Dekker said he had been inundated in recent months with calls from central Queenslanders wanting their properties rid of redback spiders.

"There's been fairly good rains through ... central Queensland and that, combined with the humidity and warmth that's been around, has really made it a fantastic breeding season," he said.

Queensland Museum spider expert Robert Raven said redbacks were a problem at this time of year.

He knew of no unusual outbreaks.

Up to 10,000 Australians are bitten by redbacks annually, with 30-40 per cent of those in Queensland.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Re: Spiders invade hospital and force closure

I knew it was Australia before I even clicked the link. :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Senior Member skindeep_curiosity's Avatar

Australia = hell, cuz this is the second time I've had to read about/look at pictures of spiders there. But no offense to the Australians, cuz they are some tough "mates" to be livin' with that shit!

Olivia

[quote author=skindeep_curiosity link=topic=13904.msg824793#msg824793 date=1208993916]
    Australia = hell, cuz this is the second time I've had to read about/look at pictures of spiders there. But no offense to the Australians, cuz they are some tough "mates" to be livin' with that shit!
    [/quote]

It's not too bad because you learn at school how to live alongside spiders, snakes, sharks etc  :lol:

Once I was in the swimming pool at home and I was sitting on the step at the end and I felt something brushing against my back so I flicked it away.  Turns out it was a charming redback spider that was attached to me - I still remember the feeling of it's creeping legs.

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=13904.msg824776#msg824776 date=1208992824]
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23588114-2,00.html

AN OUTBACK Queensland hospital will close temporarily to deal with a poisonous redback spider infestation after concerns they could fall from the ceiling on to patient beds.

[/quote]

There was no concern however, that the infestation could spead to the lame floor and wall crawling spiders.

"Those spiders aren't angry, the only angry spiders  are the clumsy celing spiders" said the EnergizerGuy Jacko

I'm glad this is happening in QLD and not here. I'm in hospital three times a week for my dialysis and that wouldn't not be pretty for me. If it was here, we'd probably be dealing with our beautiful funnel webs.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I am not.

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=13904.msg824797#msg824797 date=1208994096]
    It's not too bad because you learn at school how to live alongside spiders, snakes, sharks etc  :lol:

Once I was in the swimming pool at home and I was sitting on the step at the end and I felt something brushing against my back so I flicked it away.  Turns out it was a charming redback spider that was attached to me - I still remember the feeling of it's creeping legs.

[/quote]

Just the thought of this makes me want to run around, swinging my arms in the air -- as if to get rid of any spiders that are falling onto me. :-)

Indooroopilly, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Yay! Queensland

Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Meow
    TPT is more caramel. She's sweet and so smooth she'll slide a finger in your butthole.

[quote author=skindeep_curiosity link=topic=13904.msg824804#msg824804 date=1208994384]
    Just the thought of this makes me want to run around, swinging my arms in the air -- as if to get rid of any spiders that are falling onto me. :-)
    [/quote]
    You're doing that in my head right now, and it looks funny.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=13904.msg824808#msg824808 date=1208994830]
    You're doing that in my head right now, and it looks funny.
    [/quote]

Do I still look hot while I'm doing it? *Pose.*

[quote author=skindeep_curiosity link=topic=13904.msg824859#msg824859 date=1208997487]
    Do I still look hot while I'm doing it? *Pose.*
    [/quote]
    Had to look at your pics again. It could be hot, depending on your outfit.
    A hospital gown...not sexy.

Ack, so scary! Man, I used to be terrified of spiders, but had started to get over it. That fear is starting to come back. Just last week in my first aid class, we talked about what poisonous spiders can do to you. Yuck. But I also hate spider crickets. First time I ever saw one of those things, it jumped and landed on my chest. Since I had never seen once, I had no idea those things could jump that high! Just about gave me a heart attack.
    Try to realize it&#39;s all within yourself. No one else can make you change. And to see you&#39;re really only very small. And life flows on within you and without you.<br /><br />--George Harrison--

That's horrifying.&nbsp; I'm not a fan of spiders.&nbsp; I couldn't squash one that big.&nbsp; I'd just run and scream like a baby, seriously. I think I'd cry and piss my pants if I had to deal with spiders like they have down under.&nbsp; Yikes mate! LOL

Ugh I HATE spiders.

Hell I just saw a picture of a huge spider and about 50 of its babies, and my skin crawled so bad!

Though one evening I was walking around the yard and noticed a big web with about 100 little baby spiders on it.&nbsp; Now, outside I don't mind the spiders.&nbsp; I tried taking pictures, they were adorable, provided they didn't all move at the same time.&nbsp; I like when spiders make their webs outside the porch light and catch june bugs and stuff.&nbsp; They seem kinda smart actually to know where all the bugs congregate so they can get a grub on :P

Meh, I think spiders are kinda cool. I never kill them. I just catch them and put them outside.
    TPT is more caramel. She's sweet and so smooth she'll slide a finger in your butthole.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=13904.msg824784#msg824784 date=1208993314]
    I knew it was Australia before I even clicked the link. :lol:
    [/quote]

Yep.

[quote author=trailerparktrash link=topic=13904.msg825424#msg825424 date=1209018125]
    Meh, I think spiders are kinda cool. I never kill them. I just catch them and put them outside.
    [/quote]

I seriously hate spiders, but for some reason I don't want to kill them either, probably because my mom is always saying &quot;spiders are GOOD bugs!&quot;&nbsp; So, I catch them in a cup and throw them outside.&nbsp; Hahaha except the one time, when I was like 8, and she hands me this napkin with a spider on it to throw outside, and I ran screaming and crying up the stairs and threw the whole napkin out the door.&nbsp; When I came back in, she's like &quot;Michelle, you really overreact A LOT.&quot;&nbsp; :lol:

[quote author=kissmedeadly8989 link=topic=13904.msg825653#msg825653 date=1209039944]
    I seriously hate spiders, but for some reason I don't want to kill them either, probably because my mom is always saying &quot;spiders are GOOD bugs!&quot;&nbsp; So, I catch them in a cup and throw them outside.&nbsp; Hahaha except the one time, when I was like 8, and she hands me this napkin with a spider on it to throw outside, and I ran screaming and crying up the stairs and threw the whole napkin out the door.&nbsp; When I came back in, she's like &quot;Michelle, you really overreact A LOT.&quot;&nbsp; :lol:
    [/quote]

Ahahahha. Aww

When I was a little kid I used to play with these spiders, daddy long legs. They're harmless.

I am so glad I live in Tasmania, the only really dangerous animals here you have to be wary of are snakes (we have like, 3 of the most poisonous snakes in the world or something like that), and most of the time its way too cold for snakes to be out anyway :)

[quote author=trailerparktrash link=topic=13904.msg825664#msg825664 date=1209040234]
    When I was a little kid I used to play with these spiders, daddy long legs. They're harmless.
    [/quote]
    Little Lucy was playing in the garden when she spotted two spiders mating.

&quot;Daddy, what are those two spiders doing?&quot;

&quot;They're mating, Lucy&quot; he replied.

&quot;What do you call the spider on top, Daddy?&quot; Lucy asked.

&quot;Oh, that's a Daddy Longlegs.&quot;

Lucy asked, &quot;Oh, so one's a Daddy Longlegs and the other one is a Mommy Longlegs?&quot;

Daddy replied, &quot;No, both of them are Daddy Longlegs.&quot;

Lucy thought for a moment, then took her foot and stamped them flat.

&quot;Well, we're not having THAT kind of shit in our garden!&quot;

Errrr I hate spiders.&nbsp; In the fall I get to look forward to these in my house.&nbsp; Just looking at it gives me chills.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=13904.msg825688#msg825688 date=1209040716]
    Little Lucy was playing in the garden when she spotted two spiders mating.

&quot;Daddy, what are those two spiders doing?&quot;

&quot;They're mating, Lucy&quot; he replied.

&quot;What do you call the spider on top, Daddy?&quot; Lucy asked.

&quot;Oh, that's a Daddy Longlegs.&quot;

Lucy asked, &quot;Oh, so one's a Daddy Longlegs and the other one is a Mommy Longlegs?&quot;

Daddy replied, &quot;No, both of them are Daddy Longlegs.&quot;

Lucy thought for a moment, then took her foot and stamped them flat.

&quot;Well, we're not having THAT kind of shit in our garden!&quot;

[/quote]

HAH!!!!!!&nbsp; :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Oh God, Stop The Voices *SCREAM*

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=13904.msg824878#msg824878 date=1208998369]
    Had to look at your pics again. It could be hot, depending on your outfit.
    A hospital gown...not sexy.
    [/quote]

Well, hopefully my crazed swatting would save me from being bitten. *Shudders.*

I think what gets me the most is the zoomed pix of the critters. I don't have as much of a problem with spiders when they're around me, but when I see huge spiders on TV or online, it just creeps me out -- too much detail!

[quote author=skindeep_curiosity link=topic=13904.msg826172#msg826172 date=1209054641]
    Well, hopefully my crazed swatting would save me from being bitten. *Shudders.*

I think what gets me the most is the zoomed pix of the critters. I don't have as much of a problem with spiders when they're around me, but when I see huge spiders on TV or online, it just creeps me out -- too much detail!
    [/quote]

It creeps you out, But I bet you don't change the channel!&nbsp;

That shit can be pretty interesting. Ever watch those videos on youtube, Spider vs Sipder. or Scorpion vs spider.

Ehh, I get bored at work and watch youtube on my phone.
    <br />[quote author=skindeep_curiosity]<br />I&#39;m so glad I love the meat. <br />[/quote]

Thread Information