Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Texas Toddler May Have Been Crushed by Obese Relative

Texas Toddler May Have Been Crushed by Obese Relative

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,340611,00.html

LA JOYA, Texas  —  Authorities suspect a 2-year-old boy who died with a fractured skull was accidentally crushed by a morbidly obese relative.

Hidalgo County Justice of the Peace Bobby Contreras, who pronounced the child dead Tuesday night, said that investigators believe the woman fell on the child.

"It didn't look like there was any foul play from what I saw," he said.

An autopsy was scheduled for Friday afternoon with the official cause of death to be released Monday.

Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino, who termed the death "suspicious," said he would wait for the official cause of death before deciding whether to file charges.

The child's identity has not been released. He was believed to have been dropped off by his mother to spend the day with the bedridden relative, The McAllen Monitor reported Friday.

:2huh:

I don't understand the mother's reasoning in dropping off a 2 yr old with someone who is bedridden. When my son was 2, I was constantly trying to keep up with him. They don't sit still, they get into everything. Its exhausting. RIP little guy

Re: Texas Toddler May Have Been Crushed by Obese Relative

I thought the same thing. Was there not anyone else to watch the little guy? !! 

RIP little man
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits "--

My guess is that the two year old was getting ready to or already doing something potentially harmful and the bedridden individual tried to get up to stop them and either momentum or lost balance ended up with them stopping them in a permanent manner.

If that isn't a wake up call to lose weight, I don't know what is.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

My stepsister got charged with something called "failure to provide adequate childcare" when she left her 4 month old baby at the sitters and went to work.  The sitter had placed Nicholas on a blanket on the floor to sleep and her own toddler had come barreling through the living room, tripped over the baby and fell on him and broke one of his ribs.  It was a complete accident.  The sitter wasnt charged with anything.

My point is this.....how come THAT can happen, but yet the mother in this particular case isnt charged with anything?  Leaving a 2 year old in the hands of an invalid?  Jesus.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=13411.msg778046#msg778046 date=1206221161]
    My stepsister got charged with something called "failure to provide adequate childcare" when she left her 4 month old baby at the sitters and went to work.  The sitter had placed Nicholas on a blanket on the floor to sleep and her own toddler had come barreling through the living room, tripped over the baby and fell on him and broke one of his ribs.  It was a complete accident.  The sitter wasnt charged with anything.

My point is this.....how come THAT can happen, but yet the mother in this particular case isnt charged with anything?  Leaving a 2 year old in the hands of an invalid?  Jesus.
    [/quote]
    The fact that your sister got in any kind of trouble is fuckin disgusting.
    This system is set up to come down hard on people no matter what.
    It's like there's no such thing as an accident anymore, there's always someone to "blame."

I understand that when a kid shows up at a hospital with a broken rib, you might raise an eyebrow, and ask a few questions.
    It doesn't mean that there always has to be a drunk/abuser/evil step-mother behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

EXACTLY!!  I mean i completely understand and support the idea that there needs to be steps taken to protect children when those situations arise.  There NEEDS to be questions and eyebrow raising etc.....but i think they need to be a lot more careful on who they place blame on.  Kids are clumsy.  Theyre going to get hurt.

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=13411.msg778067#msg778067 date=1206222956]
    EXACTLY!!  I mean i completely understand and support the idea that there needs to be steps taken to protect children when those situations arise.  There NEEDS to be questions and eyebrow raising etc.....but i think they need to be a lot more careful on who they place blame on.  Kids are clumsy.  Theyre going to get hurt.
    [/quote]
    I hear stories all the time of the average run-of-the-mill parent getting harassed by these agencies....
    then you hear about 13 year olds that weigh 59 lbs. due to neglect.
    Why do they spend so much time making the average joe jump through hoops while children are beaten to death every day?

And this case of a child being crushed is terrible. How does someone get this big?!?
    How does a family permit it. Well, a loving family I mean.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=13411.msg778071#msg778071 date=1206223655]
    I hear stories all the time of the average run-of-the-mill parent getting harassed by these agencies....
    then you hear about 13 year olds that weigh 59 lbs. due to neglect.
    Why do they spend so much time making the average joe jump through hoops while children are beaten to death every day?

And this case of a child being crushed is terrible. How does someone get this big?!?
    How does a family permit it. Well, a loving family I mean.
    [/quote]

People enable all kinds of things, Ron.  You know that.  I knew a woman that was buying her son's heroin so he wouldn't engage in criminal activity to get it.  She was terrified he'd end up in jail.  And we all know jail is no place for a 20 year old white, suburban youth to get clean.  When you love someone, you sometimes want to give them things that aren't good for them, because those things make a person happy. 

And as for how someone gets that big, well, that is a bit more complicated, I think.  I'm sure that things are amiss on both psychological and physiological levels.  I mean, who would chose to be imprisoned by their own body?  I think once you get to a certain weight, people feel hopeless, and some give up. 

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=13411.msg778074#msg778074 date=1206223971]
    People enable all kinds of things, Ron.  You know that.  I knew a woman that was buying her son's heroin so he wouldn't engage in criminal activity to get it.  She was terrified he'd end up in jail.  And we all know jail is no place for a 20 year old white, suburban youth to get clean.  When you love someone, you sometimes want to give them things that aren't good for them, because those things make a person happy. 

And as for how someone gets that big, well, that is a bit more complicated, I think.  I'm sure that things are amiss on both psychological and physiological levels.  I mean, who would chose to be imprisoned by their own body?  I think once you get to a certain weight, people feel hopeless, and some give up. 
    [/quote]
    I should smite you for making me think on a Saturday!

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=13411.msg778078#msg778078 date=1206224244]
    I should smite you for making me think on a Saturday!
    [/quote]

:lol: :lol:
    Its just easy for me to see how it could happen.  Not that I would do it, but tough love is far harder to engage in than fulfilling people's desires -- even if you know that the person is suffering for it. 

[quote author=rmbd0903 link=topic=13411.msg777688#msg777688 date=1206196172]
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,340611,00.html

LA JOYA, Texas  —  Authorities suspect a 2-year-old boy who died with a fractured skull was accidentally crushed by a morbidly obese relative.

Hidalgo County Justice of the Peace Bobby Contreras, who pronounced the child dead Tuesday night, said that investigators believe the woman fell on the child.

"It didn't look like there was any foul play from what I saw," he said.

An autopsy was scheduled for Friday afternoon with the official cause of death to be released Monday.

Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino, who termed the death "suspicious," said he would wait for the official cause of death before deciding whether to file charges.

The child's identity has not been released. He was believed to have been dropped off by his mother to spend the day with the bedridden relative, The McAllen Monitor reported Friday.

:2huh:

I don't understand the mother's reasoning in dropping off a 2 yr old with someone who is bedridden. When my son was 2, I was constantly trying to keep up with him. They don't sit still, they get into everything. Its exhausting. RIP little guy
    [/quote]

My daughter is almost three and i can't even sit down while I'm caring for her, let alone be bedridden. Jesus!

People have to be careful with their children, even if they aren't infants anymore. It makes me mad.

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=13411.msg778046#msg778046 date=1206221161]

[/quote]

That is such bull crap! Someone at my nephew's daycare gave him a 4inch fracture on his skull (he's 6 months) and if they tried to charge my sister, I would have gone on an f-ing rampage.

What did she have to do? Jail time, community service, fines etc.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

[quote author=TheFavoriteDaughter link=topic=13411.msg778175#msg778175 date=1206237245]
    That is such bull crap! Someone at my nephew's daycare gave him a 4inch fracture on his skull (he's 6 months) and if they tried to charge my sister, I would have gone on an f-ing rampage.

What did she have to do? Jail time, community service, fines etc.
    [/quote]

She ended up losing Nicholas for about six months while having to go through parenting classes :(

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=13411.msg778201#msg778201 date=1206243023]
    She ended up losing Nicholas for about six months while having to go through parenting classes :(
    [/quote]

FUCK THAT! Wow CPS is a bunch of geniuses. And I can't believe the judge let that all happen  :x What a way to cause detriment to a child's well being.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

[quote author=TheFavoriteDaughter link=topic=13411.msg778216#msg778216 date=1206245714]
    FUCK THAT! Wow CPS is a bunch of geniuses. And I can't believe the judge let that all happen  :x What a way to cause detriment to a child's well being.
    [/quote]

They looked at her record that she had as a juvenile (she got busted for pot at 13 and stole a car at 14) and just automatically assumed that she was some horrible person i think is what happened.  But she was like 32 when this happened.  Im not really sure what happened but its fucking sickening :/

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=13411.msg778302#msg778302 date=1206255602]
    They looked at her record that she had as a juvenile (she got busted for pot at 13 and stole a car at 14) and just automatically assumed that she was some horrible person i think is what happened.  But she was like 32 when this happened.   Im not really sure what happened but its fucking sickening :/
    [/quote]

Seriously? That's so messed up.

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=13411.msg778302#msg778302 date=1206255602]
    They looked at her record that she had as a juvenile (she got busted for pot at 13 and stole a car at 14) and just automatically assumed that she was some horrible person i think is what happened.  But she was like 32 when this happened.  Im not really sure what happened but its fucking sickening :/
    [/quote]

Wow.  I had thought that your juvenile record was sealed once you were an adult.  Maybe its only like that here.  That sucks.

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=13411.msg778381#msg778381 date=1206282576]
    Wow.  I had thought that your juvenile record was sealed once you were an adult.  Maybe its only like that here.  That sucks.
    [/quote]
    They tell you it's sealed, but if they ever need to get into it, it's not exactly difficult.
    Fuckin scam.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=13411.msg778501#msg778501 date=1206287923]
    They tell you it's sealed, but if they ever need to get into it, it's not exactly difficult.
    Fuckin scam.
    [/quote]

Oh, kind of like when you get your record expunged and your prior convictions can't be held against you?

*winkwinknudgenudge*

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=13411.msg778501#msg778501 date=1206287923]
    Fuckin scam.
    [/quote]
    In my cousins case "sealed" meant they wouldn't pop up on a routine background check, but did turn up when he needed a security clearance.  Sealed didn't mean that the cops didn't come talking to him whenever there was a b&e (when he was 13 he "broke" into an unlocked door, ate some food, drank some beer and went to sleep) in his vicinity.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=13411.msg778504#msg778504 date=1206288040]
    Oh, kind of like when you get your record expunged and your prior convictions can't be held against you?

*winkwinknudgenudge*
    [/quote]
    Ya feel me.

Murder was the case.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23824904/

Police say obese relative murdered toddler
    Initially, investigators thought woman had crushed 2-year old nephew

Video: Crime & courts 

More video

LA JOYA, Texas - A morbidly obese woman who authorities originally thought might have crushed her 2-year-old nephew to death was arraigned in her bedroom Wednesday on a capital murder charge, accused of striking him in the head.

Mayra Lizbeth Rosales, who weighs at least 800 pounds, had told police that she slipped and hit the boy's head with her hand and that he fell from a chair. But investigators said the boy died of two blows to the head. The autopsy also found skull fractures that were estimated to be about a month old.

The 27-year-old bedridden woman was photographed and fingerprinted at her La Joya home before being released on a personal recognizance bond, Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino said.

Rosales' sister and the boy's mother, Jamie Lee Rosales, was arrested on a charge of injury to a child, accused of failing to protect the boy. She was being held on $50,000 bond. A capital murder conviction could carry a possible sentence of life in prison or the death penalty.

The 20-year-old mother had signed a safety plan in April with Child Protective Services that advised her not to leave her children with her sister because of the woman's disability, according to charging documents.

A woman who answered the phone at Mayra Rosales' home and wouldn't give her name said the family would have no comment. Authorities had no attorney contact information for the sisters.

Eliseo Gonzalez Jr. and his two younger siblings had been left in the sole supervision of Mayra Rosales, authorities say.

Less than two hours later, Mayra Rosales phoned her sister to say that Eliseo had gotten stuck under her bed and his head was swollen, according to the charging documents. Eliseo was removed from life support and declared dead that afternoon.

Bobby Contreras, Hidalgo County justice of the peace, said last week that investigators believed the woman had fallen on the child.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=13411.msg785482#msg785482 date=1206639808]
    Murder was the case.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23824904/

Police say obese relative murdered toddler
    Initially, investigators thought woman had crushed 2-year old nephew

Video: Crime & courts 

More video
    Cars shot at on Virginia highway
      March 27: Virginia authorities search for the people who shot at cars on a highway near Charlottesville. WWBT's Sunni Blevins reports.
    Video shows police stun, punch man
    Company markets colorful guns
    Tawdry Tampa teachers?
    President snoozes during trial
      Stand and be counted
    Gut Check America

What keeps you up at night? Gut Check America wants you to tell us what really matters to our country. Click here to learn more and get involved.
      NBC Field Notes

NBC News correspondents and producers across the U.S. shed light on the news of the day.
      Photo features 

More
    Indian men smeared with Gulal (colour powder) are seen singing and dancing during the annual Lathmar Holi festival
    EPA

The Week in Pictures
    Tinted Hindus revel, a young chess player snarls and a pitcher’s mound is excavated.
    Image: Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Reuters

PhotoBlog
    View and discuss the pictures and issues that caught our eyes.
      Related stories 

What’s this?
    Obese aunt charged with La Joya death of toddler
    Obese relative may have crushed toddler
    Autopsy: Head injuries caused baby's death
      Most popular
    • Most viewed • Top rated • Most e-mailed
    Photos: Five weeks of mistaken identity
    Police free boy, 16, who was kidnapped as infant
      Victim of mistaken identity draws faith from it
    Census: Sun Belt is population growth hotspot
    Bad song choice results in early exit on ‘Idol’
    Most viewed on msnbc.com
    Surgeon removes 6 organs to carve out tumor
    Mother fights Army over son's death
    Parents sue son’s bully, threaten school district
    Hospital ‘boarding’ takes toll on the elderly
    Kindness of strangers benefits tallest man
    Most viewed on msnbc.com
    Census: Sun Belt is population growth hotspot
      The ultimate guide to the best travel Web sites
      Victim of mistaken identity draws faith from it
    Worried about dementia? Blast that belly fat
    Police free boy, 16, who was kidnapped as infant
    Most viewed on msnbc.com
    updated 9:11 a.m. ET, Thurs., March. 27, 2008

LA JOYA, Texas - A morbidly obese woman who authorities originally thought might have crushed her 2-year-old nephew to death was arraigned in her bedroom Wednesday on a capital murder charge, accused of striking him in the head.

Mayra Lizbeth Rosales, who weighs at least 800 pounds, had told police that she slipped and hit the boy's head with her hand and that he fell from a chair. But investigators said the boy died of two blows to the head. The autopsy also found skull fractures that were estimated to be about a month old.

The 27-year-old bedridden woman was photographed and fingerprinted at her La Joya home before being released on a personal recognizance bond, Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino said.

Rosales' sister and the boy's mother, Jamie Lee Rosales, was arrested on a charge of injury to a child, accused of failing to protect the boy. She was being held on $50,000 bond. A capital murder conviction could carry a possible sentence of life in prison or the death penalty.

The 20-year-old mother had signed a safety plan in April with Child Protective Services that advised her not to leave her children with her sister because of the woman's disability, according to charging documents.

A woman who answered the phone at Mayra Rosales' home and wouldn't give her name said the family would have no comment. Authorities had no attorney contact information for the sisters.

Eliseo Gonzalez Jr. and his two younger siblings had been left in the sole supervision of Mayra Rosales, authorities say.

Less than two hours later, Mayra Rosales phoned her sister to say that Eliseo had gotten stuck under her bed and his head was swollen, according to the charging documents. Eliseo was removed from life support and declared dead that afternoon.

Bobby Contreras, Hidalgo County justice of the peace, said last week that investigators believed the woman had fallen on the child.
    [/quote]

So how will life in prison be any different for this woman?  She'll undoubtedly have to be housed in a medical facility, no?  It might be good for her, though.  If they can get her away from her family, maybe she can regain some mobility.

Fuck prison, force feed her until she can no longer move.

Thread Information