Thread: William Wright (12) died after accidentally shooting himself in the face.

William Wright (12) died after accidentally shooting himself in the face.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2008/03/20/William_Wright_(12)_died_after_accidentally_shooti ng_himself_in_the_face

I just read this article to my 8 year old son.  He has a fascination with guns and thinks that they are cool.  He can relate to William because he is young and is shown in his default with a skate board (another thing my son loves).  This is such a tragedy that could have been prevented.  Who knows where that gun was, but it should have never been loaded.  My only hope is that if my son ever stumbles upon a gun in someone else's home that he will remember today and that I told him not to touch the gun.

Re: William Wright (12) died after accidentally shooting himself in the face.

I have a 7 year old son. The thought of this terrifies me. I will also be sharing this article with him.

The gun belonged to the boy's deceased grandfather. He found it at his grandmother's house.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/nj/20080311_Port_Richmond_boy_dies_after_shooting_him self.html

I wonder if grandma even knew it was in the house. So sad. RIP William

[quote author=opossum link=topic=13392.msg775453#msg775453 date=1206064068]
    I have a 7 year old son. The thought of this terrifies me. I will also be sharing this article with him.

The gun belonged to the boy's deceased grandfather. He found it at his grandmother's house.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/nj/20080311_Port_Richmond_boy_dies_after_shooting_him self.html

I wonder if grandma even knew it was in the house. So sad. RIP William
    [/quote]

yeah, I am just wondering where the gun was in the house.  The article said that there were also 2 other guns in the home.  His brother found him.  So sad.

Why was he able to access the gun?

RIP William

when i was 12 i was still smart enough if i found a gun to not point it at my face and push the trigger button.... i do not blame william for his death tho as he was only 12, the finger should be pointed at the grandmother for leaving a loaded gun with 2 kids in the house, no wonder this kid was stupid , genes go a long way

Reminds me of that episode of Six Feet Under where a similar tragedy occurred.

I'm not a big fan of guns, nor am I against a person's right to own them.  I'm so torn on this issue.  Having a gun in the house is dangerous, especially if you have children who can get to it.  Guns need to be locked up, but still accessible.

A lot of people are going to come out and say it should be illegal to own guns, like they always do when a tragedy like this occurs.  While I understand the reasoning, I still like to point out that even if it were illegal to own a gun, people would still be able to get them (i.e. criminals) and those who would be able to get them are those that probably shouldn't have them in the first place.

It's such a complicated issue.  My heart goes out to this poor kid, though, and his brother who found him.

RIP William
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

[quote author=showstopper211 link=topic=13392.msg782062#msg782062 date=1206483486]
    when i was 12 i was still smart enough if i found a gun to not point it at my face and push the trigger button.... i do not blame william for his death tho as he was only 12, the finger should be pointed at the grandmother for leaving a loaded gun with 2 kids in the house, no wonder this kid was stupid , genes go a long way
    [/quote]

Maybe Michael Wu left the gun in the house?

He did it wrong

Ugh can you imagine finding him?  How horrible for his brother.

What a sad story.

How stupid to leave loaded guns in the house. Kids are good at snooping and finding things they shouldn't. He should have been a little educated about guns anyway, living in a place where they are legal?
    Boringgggggggggggggggg.

[quote author=kissmedeadly8989 link=topic=13392.msg783995#msg783995 date=1206568025]
    Ugh can you imagine finding him?  How horrible for his brother.
    [/quote]

for sure........my mind can't even comprehend finding one of my family members with their face blown off.  forever embedded in your mind I'm sure.

RIP William---way to young to die 

[quote author=candycandycandy link=topic=13392.msg784307#msg784307 date=1206583069]
    What a sad story.

How stupid to leave loaded guns in the house. Kids are good at snooping and finding things they shouldn't. He should have been a little educated about guns anyway, living in a place where they are legal?
    [/quote]

I have such mixed emotions about guns. I experienced the horrors of my first boyfriend shooting himself in a suicide attempt and nearly dying yet I grew up in a home where my dad taught all of us about gun safety and respect. I learned to shoot a gun at around 9 or 10. My dad doesn't agree with hunting for sport but he enjoys target shooting and shared that with his children. My husband and I plan on putting our kids through gun safety training as soon as they are old enough even though we have no intention of ever introducing them to hunting.

[quote author=opossum link=topic=13392.msg784412#msg784412 date=1206585407]
    I have such mixed emotions about guns. I experienced the horrors of my first boyfriend shooting himself in a suicide attempt and nearly dying yet I grew up in a home where my dad taught all about us gun safety and respect. I learned to shoot a gun at around 9 or 10. My dad doesn't agree with hunting for sport but he enjoys target shooting and shared that with his children. My husband and I plan on putting our kids through gun safety training as soon as they are old enough even though we have no intention of ever introducing them to hunting.
    [/quote]

I'm a lover of "ALL" animals........your dad sounds like a great guy!  kudos to you +1 from me.

:-)

[quote author=Elegantly_wasted link=topic=13392.msg784425#msg784425 date=1206585804]
    I'm a lover of "ALL" animals........your dad sounds like a great guy!   kudos to you +1 from me.

:-)
    [/quote]
    Thanks. My dad IS amazing  :-)

Unless I read it wrong, the guns belonged to the grandfather who was also the only one that knew of their existence.  He died without telling anybody about them, so they remained hidden until their eventual discovery.

Can't really do anything about this as the grandpa is already dead, and the parents didn't know about the guns.  I would just kinda hope that when my kid turns 12, he knows which end of a gun the bullet comes out of.

[quote author=ras1187 link=topic=13392.msg784691#msg784691 date=1206596325]
    I would just kinda hope that when my kid turns 12, he knows which end of a gun the bullet comes out of.
    [/quote]

I think I knew that at 7 or 8, maybe younger.  It's a big world out there and bullets aren't very large, that leaves you an astronomical number of directions to fire a gun that don't involve putting an 8th and 9th hole in your head.

I'd like to know where the guns were 'hidden'... didn't the lady clean the house etc, I can't believe she didn't stumble across them, but the kid did.
    Boringgggggggggggggggg.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=13392.msg784702#msg784702 date=1206597121]
    I think I knew that at 7 or 8, maybe younger.   It's a big world out there and bullets aren't very large, that leaves you an astronomical number of directions to fire a gun that don't involve putting an 8th and 9th hole in your head.
    [/quote]

Unfortunately for him, this wasnt the case.

Thread Information