Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brian Shaffer - Missing since 1 April 2006

Re: Brian Shaffer - Missing since 1 April 2006

haha I can't keep my posts as current as y'all's but I still want to be part of the club :)

Olivia

http://www.wbns10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2008/10/02/story_shaffer_case.html?sid=102

Investigators are looking into a potential lead regarding the whereabouts of an Ohio State medical student who disappeared more than two years ago, 10TV News reported Thursday.

Brian Shaffer disappeared on April 1, 2006 from the Ugly Tuna Saloona, located near the Ohio State campus.

Shaffer, a second-year medical student at Ohio State, went to the bar to celebrate the beginning of spring break with several of his friends when he disappeared.

Last month, Shaffer's father, Randy Shaffer, died when a tree fell on him outside his home. Three days after his death, someone posted a message on Web site in memory of Randy Shaffer that read, "Dad, I love you, Brian," from the U.S. Virgin Islands, 10TV News reported.

Investigators have contacted island police in an effort to learn whether the message was a prank, or a legitimate message from Brian Shaffer.

The process of pinpointing the message sender could take several weeks.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=13373.msg1028953#msg1028953 date=1223195738]
    http://www.wbns10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2008/10/02/story_shaffer_case.html?sid=102

Investigators are looking into a potential lead regarding the whereabouts of an Ohio State medical student who disappeared more than two years ago, 10TV News reported Thursday.

Brian Shaffer disappeared on April 1, 2006 from the Ugly Tuna Saloona, located near the Ohio State campus.

Shaffer, a second-year medical student at Ohio State, went to the bar to celebrate the beginning of spring break with several of his friends when he disappeared.

Last month, Shaffer's father, Randy Shaffer, died when a tree fell on him outside his home. Three days after his death, someone posted a message on Web site in memory of Randy Shaffer that read, "Dad, I love you, Brian," from the U.S. Virgin Islands, 10TV News reported.

Investigators have contacted island police in an effort to learn whether the message was a prank, or a legitimate message from Brian Shaffer.

The process of pinpointing the message sender could take several weeks.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

[/quote]

That better not be a prank.

[quote author=SignoraAly link=topic=13373.msg1029144#msg1029144 date=1223231646]
    That better not be a prank.
    [/quote]

I'm betting it is. By all accounts he and his father were close and supportive of each other after the loss of his mother. I can't imagine he'd disappear and only surface when his father died. That just doesn't make sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Olivia

Investigators on Tuesday said that an Internet message pertaining to a missing Ohio State medical appeared to be a hoax.

According to police, the Internet message did not originate from a computer in the U.S Virgin Islands, but rather from a public access computer located in Franklin County.

Investigators did not say specifically where the computer was located, but the facility does not require people to log in, leaving very little chance for authorities to learn who posted the message.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2008/10/08/story_shaffer.html?sid=102

Someone on another forum raised the question about the possibility of the 'hoax' poster actually being Brian.  I think he is dead but I guess it is possible that after his mother died, and with the stress of med school he just snapped and took off.

That. Is. Horrible.  How could anyone find that even remotely funny? What is wrong with people?

My personal belief is that Brian Shaffer killed himself and his body has never been found.  I know that he didn't exactly show the hallmark "suicidal" signs, but how many stories have we read on here about people who seem perfectly happy and then they just up and commit suicide, and everyone's bewildered.  Something about Brian seemed sad to me, underneath the surface happiness.

With his mother having recently died, and his having been out drinking, we know how susceptible people can be to irrational thoughts when they're drunk and feeling blue....but I could be totally wrong.

I feel so bad for his father that he died, never knowing what happened to his son.  How sad his last couple of years of life must have been.  I can't imagine that kind of pain.

As for the person who left that fake message from Brian, I guess I'll just feel sorry for them.  They must be so pathetically desperate for attention.
    <br /><br />I want to go to Heaven for the weather and Hell for the company.

Olivia

I can't believe this.&nbsp; It almost seems like a curse.&nbsp; Brian's cousin died 'at home' died last week.&nbsp;

Zane Abraham Kadetz, 18, of Florence, died Friday at his residence.

He was a student at Cincinnati State and an emloyee at Izzy's Restaurant.

Survivors include his parents, David and Deanna Kadetz of Florence; his brothers, Nate Kadetz of Florence; Joshua Kadetz of Madisonville; his sisters, Leah Kadetz of Atlanta, Ga.; Rebekah Kadetz of Charlotte, NC.; his grandmother, Lois Parobeck of Lancaster, Ohio; his aunts, Virginia Parobeck of Lancaster, Ohio; Sandra Henderson of Baltimore, Md.; Bessie Ward of Lancaster, Ohio; his uncle, Vernon Ward of Lancaster, Ohio; his cousins, Derek Shaffer of Columbus, Ohio; Brian Shaffer of Columbus, Ohio; and Ben Henderson of Baltimore, Md.

Services will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday at Hebron Lutheran Church, Hebron. Visitation is from 5-8 p.m. Monday at Linnemann Funeral Home, Burlington and from 10-11 a.m. Tuesday at Hebron Luthern Church. Burial will be in Hebron Luthern Cemetery in Hebron, Ky.

Memorials are suggested to the American Cancer Society, 297 Buttermilk Pike, Ft. Mitchell, Ky., 41017 or American Parkison's Disease&nbsp; Association, 151 West Galbrath Road, Cincinnati, Ohio, 45216.

http://www.kypost.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=36d897a0-09ef-456b-ade6-e067b45dfbb7

That family really are having it bad at the moment, surely if Brian was alive and saw all this he would of gone home by now&nbsp; :|

the whereabouts of his body just stump me.
    I believe he has died- but why hasn't anyone found ANYTHING yet?
    He was in a city. Not camping in the woods by a river.

WOW at the horrible times the family is going through, my thoughts and prayers are with them all- or whoever is left of the Shaffers.

http://coltonleviclark.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/this-months-featured-case-brian-shaffer/

Good read, includes a kind of photo time line with some cctv photos.

Not that I buy into the whole Smiley Face Gang thing, but are there not numerous rivers/creeks in Columbus?

I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before something washes up...so to speak.

Also, I am glad to not be a member of that family.

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=13373.msg1183056#msg1183056 date=1234458362]
    http://coltonleviclark.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/this-months-featured-case-brian-shaffer/

Good read, includes a kind of photo time line with some cctv photos.
    [/quote]

Wow, this is very interesting.

&quot;One baffling aspect of this case that still perplexes law enforcement today is the fact that Brian could not be seen on surveillance leaving the bar after he had re-entered. Both bar exits are covered by cameras, as is the escalator in which you see Brian enter and leave and enter again.

Outside the bar, out of camera view, are stairs and an elevator that lead to the first floor. Once on the first floor, the only way out, without being seen on tape, would be through a service exit that leads to a construction site, with doors to the street.&quot;

So he absolutely left through the service exit, unless he left through a window or something.&nbsp; Would he really know to do that if he was suicidal? I feel like there's a better chance of foul play; someone who knew there weren't security cameras at that exit.&nbsp; But why would he go with them? Did someone threaten him? My thoughts aren't organized, but yeah. I don't think he killed himself, although I agree that it seems like there's a sadness about him.

Olivia

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=13373.msg1048856#msg1048856 date=1224626539]
    I can't believe this.&nbsp; It almost seems like a curse.&nbsp; Brian's cousin died 'at home' died last week.&nbsp; &nbsp;

[/quote]

So it looks like the cousin did commit suicide.&nbsp; There are some assholish and interesting comments on this article.

http://www.thelantern.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticleComments&amp;ustory_ id=93c77233-78f2-45a2-86ea-67b86b2cb2be#da309411-8da7-4820-a34d-69b2eaf4eaf1

Derek Shaffer
    posted 4/14/09 @ 8:07 PM EST
    I just love it how you sick pieces of crap always think this is a big joke. No one ever takes this serious. Yeah, of course, this could never happen to you, right? That's exactly what I said when my mother passed away from cancer when I was 24 years old, or maybe just 3 weeks later when my brother goes missing and I still don't to this day know if he's alive. Or maybe a year and a half later when, at a normal day of work, I get a phone call from my uncle saying my dad died last night. About 6 months after that, my cousin committed suicide. So that means, in the last 3 years I have lost every member of my immediate family, and one of my close cousins that was only 18 years old, just graduating high school. I have had the worst 3 years of my life and somehow ignorant people like you still seem to think it's funny. Put yourself in my shoes for just 10 minutes and think about it, then see how funny it is. Derek (Brian's brother)

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/04/01/story-columbus-brian-shaffer-four-years.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio — It's been four years since Brian Shaffer was last seen going up an escalator to a bar near the Ohio State campus, but his brother expressed hope Wednesday that the case would eventually be resolved.

&quot;If I don't see him again, that's OK,&quot; said Derek Shaffer.&nbsp; &quot;But just to hear from him (and know) everything's OK; it just makes me sick to my stomach to this day that someone could have possibly hurt him, or beat him like that.&quot;

Investigators are still not sure what happened to Brian Shaffer, who was last seen on April 1, 2006.

SLIDESHOW:&nbsp; Search For Brian Shaffer

Surveillance cameras recorded him going up the escalator to the Ugly Tuna Saloona bar, located in the South Campus Gateway, but the Ohio State medical student was never seen again.

Columbus police detectives have traveled to six states and the U.S. Virgin Islands to follow up on potential leads in the case.

Central Ohio Crime Stoppers continues to ask for tips in Shaffer's disappearance.&nbsp; It is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information on his whereabouts.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

Previous Stories:

October 8, 2008: Police Downplay Connection Between Missing OSU Student, Web Message
    October 2, 2008: Missing OSU Student Investigation Moves To Virgin Islands
    September 15, 2008: Father Of Missing Ohio State Student Killed In Storm
    April 2, 2008:&nbsp; Two Year Later, Missing Man's Girlfriend Balancing Life
    March 29, 2008:&nbsp; Vigil For Missing OSU Student

Strange comment by the brother, &quot;or beat him like that.&quot;&nbsp; I wonder where that came from?

I was reading through the comments on the article linked by snow. I had forgotten about the friend who was with Brian that night refusing to take a lie detector test and lawyering up right away. He has now moved out of the state they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

This one has a year, but hasn't already been post. Someone makes a conection to Julie Popovich's case.

http://www.thelantern.com/2.1345/is-brian-shaffer-alive-1.72008

So, I actually go to OSU and frequent the South Campus Gateway. I wanted to say to a few things, as far as Derek's statement about &quot;beating,&quot; Randy Shaffer, Brian's dad had psychics come to the South Campus Gateway area and they said they felt there was some kind of violence. There was a show that featured this, I think it's called Psychic Kids or something like that. Also, as far as the construction entrance - at the time he disappeared, South Campus Gateway was new and still being built. I will try to explain how things were laid out back then. The actual building that the Ugly Tuna Saloona is in houses and movie theater and the Ugly Tuna. You walk in the doors and have to go up the elevator/escalator/stairs to get to the theater or the Ugly Tuna. Underneath the Ugly Tuna there is another bar/restaurant but you access it from a different entrance. At the time he disappeared, all that was occupied was that one area and the parking garage. There was an area of construction between the theater/bars that. He very well could have known about the exit. However, there is an alleyway between the garage and where the contruction was and it has and still does have people walking up and down it like all day. What the article failed to mention is that another way out of The Ugly Tuna is through a trash shoot which my family and I have always wondered about. We have also wondered if maybe he could have changed his appearance before leaving the bar if he truly did wish to vanish on his own accord.

I just wanted to put that in there in case anyone wondered.

Also, my fiancee often hung out with the man who murdered Julie Popovich when they were in high school and said he was in fact a weirdo and tried to date his 13 year old cousin when he was 19. He didn't seem weird or aggressive towards men though.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...l-missing.html

Unsolved mystery: 10 years later, Brian Shaffer still missing

Ten years ago today, Brian Shaffer vanished and left a wake of unanswered questions that have tormented the people who want to find him most.

Derek Shaffer still wears a green missing-person bracelet with his brother’s name. Derek lost his entire immediate family in short order. Cancer took his mom. Three weeks later, his brother disappeared. And about two years after that, his father, who searched hardest for Brian, was killed by a falling tree branch in a windstorm. Now, Derek and his wife, Maurin, are left to shoulder the emotional toll of Brian’s unknown fate.

Alexis Waggoner waited in Brian’s apartment alone for two days after he went missing, hoping that she and her boyfriend would get on a plane that day headed to Miami, where Brian hinted he might propose. But he never came home. Waggoner soon became the beautiful face of a frantic search that gained national attention. As time passed, she moved beyond the bewildering unknown that imprisoned her, but she still occasionally finds herself online, searching for answers that may never come.

Sgt. John Hurst would awake to 3 a.m. phone calls from Randy Shaffer, sometimes for updates on his son’s investigation, other times just needing a friend. No case has consumed Hurst like Brian’s. There were hundreds of interviews, thousands of hours watching video and countless dead ends. Even after switching police units and jobs, Hurst kept the case, remaining the lead investigator on a case still swirling in questions.

Did someone murder the handsome 27-year-old Ohio State University medical student?

Did the death of his mother and stress of medical school cause him to run away from his life?

Did he kill himself? Is he still alive?

Shaffer went missing after a night of drinking with friends on April 1, 2006. But those closest to him and the search for him often have been the ones lost in the mystery.

“Everybody has a theory,” Hurst said. “We have been able to answer a lot of questions and rule things out, but the ultimate mystery remains — what happened that night, and where is Brian?”

Fading hope

It was the beginning of spring break for Ohio State students on March 31, 2006, and Brian Shaffer wanted his family to celebrate the beginning of vacation with him and friends that Friday night.

He invited his brother, Derek, and Derek’s wife, Maurin, to meet him at the Ugly Tuna Saloona after their date at the Funny Bone Comedy Club.

But the show ran late, and the high-school sweethearts decided they were too tired to visit a crowded campus bar on High Street, so they drove straight home.

“I’ve thought about that night over and over and over for 10 years,” said Derek, now 34. “What if I had been there that night? Would things have been different? Would my brother still be here? I’ve carried that guilt around for a while.”

Grainy video footage shows Brian entering the Ugly Tuna that night, but it never shows him exiting the bar. It shows Brian at the top of the escalator outside the bar at about 1:50 a.m. talking to women who his friend, Clint Florence, knew from Ohio State. Brian walks back inside the bar after the women leave. Florence later told police that he had seen Brian after he returned inside the bar and said they were planning to leave. But he lost track of him.

Two nights later, Derek received a call from his dad saying Brian was missing. Derek used to believe there was a chance his brother might still be alive, but he never thought that Brian just ran off to escape his life.

Florence initially cooperated with the investigation but then hired an attorney and refused to take a polygraph test or talk further with police. He couldn’t be reached for comment.

“If I saw him I’d say, ‘Where the hell is my brother?’ ” Derek said. “If anyone knows whether he is still alive, or if something happened to him, it’s Clint.”

The brothers had never been closer than after their mom, Renee, lost her fight with cancer about three weeks before Brian went missing. Brian was the one blessed with a charm that attracted attention from just about everyone. Derek was more introverted and content with a smaller group of friends and Maurin, whom he married in 2009.

At first, Derek thought his brother was just sleeping off a long weekend at a friend’s house. Or that he was playing some kind of practical joke.

But that all changed when he saw police at his brother’s apartment and learned that all of Brian’s possessions, even his glasses, remained untouched.

Derek joined in many of the massive searches for Brian around the campus area and the Olentangy River. He called Brian’s cell number hundreds of times for about a year, praying that he would hear his voice one more time.

“We never could have believed then that 10 years later we still don’t know what happened to Brian,” Maurin said. “It’s been so hard watching Derek go through this, but we had to get back into our normal lives.”

Derek and Maurin now live in Canal Winchester with their 2-year-old son. Derek continues his work installing electrical and communication systems for businesses around central Ohio.

It’s hardest for Derek when he hears news reports that someone else has gone missing. That was the case last month when Joseph LaBute Jr., a handsome 26-year-old, went missing after leaving a bar in the same area where Brian went missing.

“It just brings all the pain from Brian back again,” Derek said. “How long will it be before we know something? Ten years? Twenty? Thirty? Never?”

Moving forward

A young couple embraced each other and smiled in relief when Dr. Alexis Waggoner told them their unborn son was healthy 18 weeks into their pregnancy. Their first son was born prematurely and had lived only four hours.

Waggoner, one of seven OB-GYNs in her Toledo medical practice, returned to her cramped office, where boxes and pictures remained on the floor, and sighed as she sat down. She moved into the office two months earlier but had been too busy with patients and family life to unpack.

“That’s the best part of my job, seeing those expressions after good news,” said the weary Waggoner, who was dressed in green scrubs. “My life is crazy busy, but I love it. A lot has changed in 10 years.”

Brian Shaffer was drawn to Waggoner’s blue eyes and long, wavy brown hair when they met at Ohio State’s medical school in the fall of 2005. They soon fell in love and were planning a future together right up to the night Brian went missing, a night that ultimately turned Waggoner’s life into a chaotic hunt for her boyfriend and peace of mind.

She spent months in the campus area posting hundreds of missing-person fliers. She walked the river banks at night and the neighborhoods by day searching under bridges and in trash bins. She called Brian’s phone relentlessly for almost a year, hoping to hear something to suggest that he was still alive. She did what seemed like an endless number of national and local media interviews. She did whatever the police asked of her and was beaten down by false hope, time and time again, after leads in the case went nowhere.
    (long article, continued on another post)

Continued from above...

There were times when she wouldn’t eat or sleep for days, yet somehow she managed to thrive in med school.

After about a year, Waggoner took steps to move out of the purgatory that was life while waiting for Brian to come home. She packed away T-shirts and other items that she had taken from Brian’s apartment.

“I put his things in the back of my closet, and I just needed that chapter of my life to be over,” Waggoner said. “There were a lot of tears and it was sad, but it was time to move forward.”

Moving forward was made a lot easier when she met the handsome, burly contractor who was building her parents' new home. Alexis’ mom, Melanie, was working both sides, telling her daughter she needed to go out with this guy and telling Eric Noss that he needed to take out her daughter.

Melanie already had told Eric about Alexis’ ordeal with Brian, so he was understanding. The subject didn’t come up on their first couple of dates. Then, over lunch one day, Eric asked Alexis to tell him the story. He listened intensely, asked questions and sympathized with both Brian and the woman he was falling in love with.

But after that conversation, Eric hasn’t given much thought to Brian unless his wife wants to talk about the case. He understands and accepts that Brian was part of her life in the past, and he feels badly for Brian's family. But he doesn't dwell on thoughts about whether he might return someday. Eric focuses on Alexis, whom he married in June 2009, and on their sons, Kellen, 5, and Brecken, 2, and the happy life they have in Toledo, where they moved in 2012.

“I met the right girl, and my life changed in the best way possible,” said Eric, 40. “There was just no doubt in my mind that even if Brian came back around we were going to be together. I just never was worried about it or thought about it. Everyone has a past, and I think that period of Alexis’ life made her stronger.”

Unlike most others familiar with the case, Alexis doesn’t believe in one theory. She now is numb to emotions inherent in the case, and her continued interest is rooted more in curiosity.

Looking back, she finds it odd that a few days before that night in the bar, Brian told her to move on and find someone else, because he was struggling with his mom’s death. And that a couple of weeks before that, he asked her to “just go away” with him.

“It almost feels like this all happened to someone else," she said. "It was all in a different life for me.”

Chasing answers

The sergeant in charge of the Columbus Police Division’s missing-persons unit was on vacation when Brian Shaffer’s family called to report that he was missing.

Detective John Hurst didn’t know it at the time, but he would be assigned a case that has consumed him more than any other in his career. He was offered the chance to pass it off after the sergeant returned to work, but too much work already had been invested.

“The detectives involved in this case became personally and emotionally involved,” said Hurst, 54, who now leads the police's physical-abuse unit. “It’s still a case we very much think about and talk about today.”

Hurst is quite aware of the many theories and opinions the public has offered in what is still an open investigation. But he believes in following only the facts when trying to prove or disprove theories in the case.

He answers the questions he has received most over the years based on what the investigation has produced:

Is Brian alive? “There is a possibility he is alive, but if you look at the probabilities that he isn’t alive, those are just as great.”

Was he murdered? “There is nothing we have been able to recover that shows he succumbed to foul play, so again, the probability of that isn’t as great as he just walked away.”

Did he take his own life? “Most people who commit suicide want to be found; I would say that is probably in the lower category.”

Hurst acknowledges becoming a friend of Randy Shaffer's and doing whatever he could to help find his son or comfort him as a father. He wishes that Randy could have had closure before his tragic death in 2008. And Hurst, who lost a child himself last year, now understands even more deeply the pain that Randy endured.

“The answers that everyone wants, everyone needs ... I don’t know if we will ever have them.”

Just reading about the part where Brian's brother, Derek, called his Brian's cell phone for over a year in hopes of reaching him....this is a random weird question that popped in my head: did the family continue to pay Brian's cell phone bill so that his number would stay active? Is that what most families do when a loved one goes missing, even for years?

My thoughts can be weird sometimes, just my curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local...after-14-years

The Ugly Tuna Saloona to close after 14 years

Thread Information