Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brian Shaffer - Missing since 1 April 2006

Re: Brian Shaffer - Missing since 1 April 2006

haha I can't keep my posts as current as y'all's but I still want to be part of the club :)

Olivia

http://www.wbns10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2008/10/02/story_shaffer_case.html?sid=102

Investigators are looking into a potential lead regarding the whereabouts of an Ohio State medical student who disappeared more than two years ago, 10TV News reported Thursday.

Brian Shaffer disappeared on April 1, 2006 from the Ugly Tuna Saloona, located near the Ohio State campus.

Shaffer, a second-year medical student at Ohio State, went to the bar to celebrate the beginning of spring break with several of his friends when he disappeared.

Last month, Shaffer's father, Randy Shaffer, died when a tree fell on him outside his home. Three days after his death, someone posted a message on Web site in memory of Randy Shaffer that read, "Dad, I love you, Brian," from the U.S. Virgin Islands, 10TV News reported.

Investigators have contacted island police in an effort to learn whether the message was a prank, or a legitimate message from Brian Shaffer.

The process of pinpointing the message sender could take several weeks.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=13373.msg1028953#msg1028953 date=1223195738]
    http://www.wbns10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2008/10/02/story_shaffer_case.html?sid=102

Investigators are looking into a potential lead regarding the whereabouts of an Ohio State medical student who disappeared more than two years ago, 10TV News reported Thursday.

Brian Shaffer disappeared on April 1, 2006 from the Ugly Tuna Saloona, located near the Ohio State campus.

Shaffer, a second-year medical student at Ohio State, went to the bar to celebrate the beginning of spring break with several of his friends when he disappeared.

Last month, Shaffer's father, Randy Shaffer, died when a tree fell on him outside his home. Three days after his death, someone posted a message on Web site in memory of Randy Shaffer that read, "Dad, I love you, Brian," from the U.S. Virgin Islands, 10TV News reported.

Investigators have contacted island police in an effort to learn whether the message was a prank, or a legitimate message from Brian Shaffer.

The process of pinpointing the message sender could take several weeks.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

[/quote]

That better not be a prank.

[quote author=SignoraAly link=topic=13373.msg1029144#msg1029144 date=1223231646]
    That better not be a prank.
    [/quote]

I'm betting it is. By all accounts he and his father were close and supportive of each other after the loss of his mother. I can't imagine he'd disappear and only surface when his father died. That just doesn't make sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Olivia

Investigators on Tuesday said that an Internet message pertaining to a missing Ohio State medical appeared to be a hoax.

According to police, the Internet message did not originate from a computer in the U.S Virgin Islands, but rather from a public access computer located in Franklin County.

Investigators did not say specifically where the computer was located, but the facility does not require people to log in, leaving very little chance for authorities to learn who posted the message.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2008/10/08/story_shaffer.html?sid=102

Someone on another forum raised the question about the possibility of the 'hoax' poster actually being Brian.  I think he is dead but I guess it is possible that after his mother died, and with the stress of med school he just snapped and took off.

That. Is. Horrible.  How could anyone find that even remotely funny? What is wrong with people?

My personal belief is that Brian Shaffer killed himself and his body has never been found.  I know that he didn't exactly show the hallmark "suicidal" signs, but how many stories have we read on here about people who seem perfectly happy and then they just up and commit suicide, and everyone's bewildered.  Something about Brian seemed sad to me, underneath the surface happiness.

With his mother having recently died, and his having been out drinking, we know how susceptible people can be to irrational thoughts when they're drunk and feeling blue....but I could be totally wrong.

I feel so bad for his father that he died, never knowing what happened to his son.  How sad his last couple of years of life must have been.  I can't imagine that kind of pain.

As for the person who left that fake message from Brian, I guess I'll just feel sorry for them.  They must be so pathetically desperate for attention.
    <br /><br />I want to go to Heaven for the weather and Hell for the company.

Olivia

I can't believe this.&nbsp; It almost seems like a curse.&nbsp; Brian's cousin died 'at home' died last week.&nbsp;

Zane Abraham Kadetz, 18, of Florence, died Friday at his residence.

He was a student at Cincinnati State and an emloyee at Izzy's Restaurant.

Survivors include his parents, David and Deanna Kadetz of Florence; his brothers, Nate Kadetz of Florence; Joshua Kadetz of Madisonville; his sisters, Leah Kadetz of Atlanta, Ga.; Rebekah Kadetz of Charlotte, NC.; his grandmother, Lois Parobeck of Lancaster, Ohio; his aunts, Virginia Parobeck of Lancaster, Ohio; Sandra Henderson of Baltimore, Md.; Bessie Ward of Lancaster, Ohio; his uncle, Vernon Ward of Lancaster, Ohio; his cousins, Derek Shaffer of Columbus, Ohio; Brian Shaffer of Columbus, Ohio; and Ben Henderson of Baltimore, Md.

Services will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday at Hebron Lutheran Church, Hebron. Visitation is from 5-8 p.m. Monday at Linnemann Funeral Home, Burlington and from 10-11 a.m. Tuesday at Hebron Luthern Church. Burial will be in Hebron Luthern Cemetery in Hebron, Ky.

Memorials are suggested to the American Cancer Society, 297 Buttermilk Pike, Ft. Mitchell, Ky., 41017 or American Parkison's Disease&nbsp; Association, 151 West Galbrath Road, Cincinnati, Ohio, 45216.

http://www.kypost.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=36d897a0-09ef-456b-ade6-e067b45dfbb7

That family really are having it bad at the moment, surely if Brian was alive and saw all this he would of gone home by now&nbsp; :|

the whereabouts of his body just stump me.
    I believe he has died- but why hasn't anyone found ANYTHING yet?
    He was in a city. Not camping in the woods by a river.

WOW at the horrible times the family is going through, my thoughts and prayers are with them all- or whoever is left of the Shaffers.

http://coltonleviclark.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/this-months-featured-case-brian-shaffer/

Good read, includes a kind of photo time line with some cctv photos.

Not that I buy into the whole Smiley Face Gang thing, but are there not numerous rivers/creeks in Columbus?

I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before something washes up...so to speak.

Also, I am glad to not be a member of that family.

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=13373.msg1183056#msg1183056 date=1234458362]
    http://coltonleviclark.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/this-months-featured-case-brian-shaffer/

Good read, includes a kind of photo time line with some cctv photos.
    [/quote]

Wow, this is very interesting.

&quot;One baffling aspect of this case that still perplexes law enforcement today is the fact that Brian could not be seen on surveillance leaving the bar after he had re-entered. Both bar exits are covered by cameras, as is the escalator in which you see Brian enter and leave and enter again.

Outside the bar, out of camera view, are stairs and an elevator that lead to the first floor. Once on the first floor, the only way out, without being seen on tape, would be through a service exit that leads to a construction site, with doors to the street.&quot;

So he absolutely left through the service exit, unless he left through a window or something.&nbsp; Would he really know to do that if he was suicidal? I feel like there's a better chance of foul play; someone who knew there weren't security cameras at that exit.&nbsp; But why would he go with them? Did someone threaten him? My thoughts aren't organized, but yeah. I don't think he killed himself, although I agree that it seems like there's a sadness about him.

Olivia

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=13373.msg1048856#msg1048856 date=1224626539]
    I can't believe this.&nbsp; It almost seems like a curse.&nbsp; Brian's cousin died 'at home' died last week.&nbsp; &nbsp;

[/quote]

So it looks like the cousin did commit suicide.&nbsp; There are some assholish and interesting comments on this article.

http://www.thelantern.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticleComments&amp;ustory_ id=93c77233-78f2-45a2-86ea-67b86b2cb2be#da309411-8da7-4820-a34d-69b2eaf4eaf1

Derek Shaffer
    posted 4/14/09 @ 8:07 PM EST
    I just love it how you sick pieces of crap always think this is a big joke. No one ever takes this serious. Yeah, of course, this could never happen to you, right? That's exactly what I said when my mother passed away from cancer when I was 24 years old, or maybe just 3 weeks later when my brother goes missing and I still don't to this day know if he's alive. Or maybe a year and a half later when, at a normal day of work, I get a phone call from my uncle saying my dad died last night. About 6 months after that, my cousin committed suicide. So that means, in the last 3 years I have lost every member of my immediate family, and one of my close cousins that was only 18 years old, just graduating high school. I have had the worst 3 years of my life and somehow ignorant people like you still seem to think it's funny. Put yourself in my shoes for just 10 minutes and think about it, then see how funny it is. Derek (Brian's brother)

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/04/01/story-columbus-brian-shaffer-four-years.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio — It's been four years since Brian Shaffer was last seen going up an escalator to a bar near the Ohio State campus, but his brother expressed hope Wednesday that the case would eventually be resolved.

&quot;If I don't see him again, that's OK,&quot; said Derek Shaffer.&nbsp; &quot;But just to hear from him (and know) everything's OK; it just makes me sick to my stomach to this day that someone could have possibly hurt him, or beat him like that.&quot;

Investigators are still not sure what happened to Brian Shaffer, who was last seen on April 1, 2006.

SLIDESHOW:&nbsp; Search For Brian Shaffer

Surveillance cameras recorded him going up the escalator to the Ugly Tuna Saloona bar, located in the South Campus Gateway, but the Ohio State medical student was never seen again.

Columbus police detectives have traveled to six states and the U.S. Virgin Islands to follow up on potential leads in the case.

Central Ohio Crime Stoppers continues to ask for tips in Shaffer's disappearance.&nbsp; It is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information on his whereabouts.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

Previous Stories:

October 8, 2008: Police Downplay Connection Between Missing OSU Student, Web Message
    October 2, 2008: Missing OSU Student Investigation Moves To Virgin Islands
    September 15, 2008: Father Of Missing Ohio State Student Killed In Storm
    April 2, 2008:&nbsp; Two Year Later, Missing Man's Girlfriend Balancing Life
    March 29, 2008:&nbsp; Vigil For Missing OSU Student

Strange comment by the brother, &quot;or beat him like that.&quot;&nbsp; I wonder where that came from?

I was reading through the comments on the article linked by snow. I had forgotten about the friend who was with Brian that night refusing to take a lie detector test and lawyering up right away. He has now moved out of the state they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

This one has a year, but hasn't already been post. Someone makes a conection to Julie Popovich's case.

http://www.thelantern.com/2.1345/is-brian-shaffer-alive-1.72008

So, I actually go to OSU and frequent the South Campus Gateway. I wanted to say to a few things, as far as Derek's statement about &quot;beating,&quot; Randy Shaffer, Brian's dad had psychics come to the South Campus Gateway area and they said they felt there was some kind of violence. There was a show that featured this, I think it's called Psychic Kids or something like that. Also, as far as the construction entrance - at the time he disappeared, South Campus Gateway was new and still being built. I will try to explain how things were laid out back then. The actual building that the Ugly Tuna Saloona is in houses and movie theater and the Ugly Tuna. You walk in the doors and have to go up the elevator/escalator/stairs to get to the theater or the Ugly Tuna. Underneath the Ugly Tuna there is another bar/restaurant but you access it from a different entrance. At the time he disappeared, all that was occupied was that one area and the parking garage. There was an area of construction between the theater/bars that. He very well could have known about the exit. However, there is an alleyway between the garage and where the contruction was and it has and still does have people walking up and down it like all day. What the article failed to mention is that another way out of The Ugly Tuna is through a trash shoot which my family and I have always wondered about. We have also wondered if maybe he could have changed his appearance before leaving the bar if he truly did wish to vanish on his own accord.

I just wanted to put that in there in case anyone wondered.

Also, my fiancee often hung out with the man who murdered Julie Popovich when they were in high school and said he was in fact a weirdo and tried to date his 13 year old cousin when he was 19. He didn't seem weird or aggressive towards men though.

Just reading about the part where Brian's brother, Derek, called his Brian's cell phone for over a year in hopes of reaching him....this is a random weird question that popped in my head: did the family continue to pay Brian's cell phone bill so that his number would stay active? Is that what most families do when a loved one goes missing, even for years?

My thoughts can be weird sometimes, just my curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I've never read this thread. Such a sad story with his family and what they went through. It's nice to see that Alexis was able to move on and has a successful career as a doctor.

If I'm being completely honest, this sounds like the other cases where men have gone missing after going out to a bar at night. There was even a river nearby. Yes, not being seen on camera leaving is weird, but also not a perfect science. Yes, the friend not co-operating fully also irks me, but this isn't unheard of with so many departments getting tunnel vision and wrongfully convicted people based on no solid evidence. People just want a case closed, so if I were him I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same to protect myself.

Sadly, I think he ended up in that river. It's just sad that his Brother will probably never know what actually happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information