Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shantina Smiley and her 8-year-old son vanished March 13, 2010

Shantina Smiley and her 8-year-old son vanished March 13, 2010

http://www.myspace.com/neiko_82

NEAR OLYMPIA - A woman heading to her stepfather's house was "beyond lost" when she and her 8-year-old son took one wrong turn after another through the backroads of Thurston County and onto a private Puget Sound beach, authorities said Monday.

The minivan driven by Shantina Smiley, 29, was found partially submerged Sunday with its doors open. A wallet containing Smiley driver's license, some cash and credit cards were found in the van, but neither she nor her son was anywhere in sight.

"Apparently she got stuck and abandoned the car," said Lt. Chris Mealy of the county sheriff's office. There was nothing inside the 2005 Dodge Caravan to make detectives think any crime happened, he added.

Detectives have traced Smiley's path from her home in Silverdale to the far reaches of Thurston County, more than 50 miles north of her stepfather's house in Castle Rock in Cowlitz County and far from any road that would have led her there.

Mealy said Smiley had called her fiance Saturday night in northwest Olympia to update him on her location because she had left her cell phone at home. An employee at an east Olympia diner where she bought a corn dog told investigators she left without her purchase and then tripped and fell walking back to her van, but Mealy said the fall was not serious.

The elderly couple who lived nearby said they let Smiley use their phone to call her grandfather, gave her son a piece of pizza, and then directed her back to the freeway. She wasn't heard from again.

"The homeowners said she acted nervous because she was lost," Mealy said. She was not injured but spoke of an accident, which investigators believe may have been a reference to falling down at the diner.

Mealy said that as she left the home, Smiley made another series of driving errors that eventually led her to a hard-to-find dirt path and driving onto the beach. "It gets dark up there. It gets really, really dark," Mealy said. "I was there Sunday afternoon. I had trouble finding that trail in the daylight."

Friends and family described Smiley as a responsible, mature, rational woman. She has no history of substance abuse, Mealy said. Her fiance, Robb Simmons, and Smiley's stepfather began searching for Smiley and her son, Azriel Carver, after she didn't arrive at their planned meeting spot Saturday. Azriel is a second-grader at Vinland Elementary in the North Kitsap School District, according to school principal Charley McCabe.

"I have no idea of why she would have ended up down that road," Simmons wrote on his website. Mealy said Smiley has "no friends or relatives or lovers or boyfriends in Olympia or Thurston County."

"Somebody somewhere knows something," Mealy said. "She could be missing voluntarily. Something untoward could have happened to her. She could have done something untoward to her son. We have no clue."

PREVIOUS STORY:

Police say Smiley was heading to Castle Rock from Silverdale, but her fiance, Rob Simmons, says it doesn't add up that she would even be in the area of Dana Passage.

"Being that it was down a dead-end road, and then going down a dirt road around a bluff to the water makes no sense," said Simmons, "she would not go down that road, it's a dead-end."

Simmons says they don't have any friends in that area, and worries something sinister may have happened.

"I'm scared that something bad happened," said Simmons, " and I just want to say to whoever has them, send them home please, just drop them off somewhere, let them be found, let them come home, let them be safe."

Shantina Smiley is 29-years-old, stands about 5'9" tall, and weighs about 140 pounds. She has dark brown hair and brown eyes.

Her son, Azriel Carver is 4'2" tall, about 100 pounds. He has blond hair in a mohawk style, and has brown eyes.

Simmons described them as a "Scout" family, because of how involved they are with the Boy Scouts of America,

Friends say she is responsible, and very loving, and has no history of drug use.

Monday investigators will continue to interview people around Dana Passage who may have seen or heard something Saturday night.

If you know anything, or have seen anything, call 911, or the Thurston County Sheriff's Office dispatch at 360-704-2749
    http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-031410-missingmomandson,0,6651388.story

Re: Shantila Smiley and her 8-year-old son vanished March 13, 2010

911 phone call from neighbor about finding the van

http://www.q13fox.com/media/mp3file/2010-03/52768424.mp3

[quote author=Yngmomma18 link=topic=24602.msg1565210#msg1565210 date=1268771234]
    911 phone call from neighbor about finding the van

http://www.q13fox.com/media/mp3file/2010-03/52768424.mp3
    [/quote]A 911 call for an abandoned auto? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

deliberate_misuse

An 8-year-old who is 4'2" and weighs 100 lbs??

Olivia

[quote author=Feetprints link=topic=24602.msg1565580#msg1565580 date=1268792528]
    A 911 call for an abandoned auto? 
    [/quote]

I guess cause it was found submerged with the doors open?

[quote] The minivan driven by Shantina Smiley, 29, was found partially submerged Sunday with its doors open. A wallet containing Smiley driver's license, some cash and credit cards were found in the van, but neither she nor her son was anywhere in sight.

I imagine that it didn't look "quite right" with it being half submerged with the doors open.  She left her cell phone at home and they are out in the boonies? Where could they be?  We had a story here in Portland where a family man about 70 yrs old was reported missing.  A week later the family reports that he is home and fine with no explanation.!?  I wish this one could be as simply as that...

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

[quote author=poppy213 link=topic=24602.msg1565653#msg1565653 date=1268795260]
    I imagine that it didn't look "quite right" with it being half submerged with the doors open.  She left her cell phone at home and they are out in the boonies? Where could they be?  We had a story here in Portland where a family man about 70 yrs old was reported missing.  A week later the family reports that he is home and fine with no explanation.!?  I wish this one could be as simply as that...
    [/quote]

I have absolutely NO built-in compass or sense of direction.  Zero.  I can't imagine how scary it must have been for her to keep taking wrong turn after wrong turn and ending up "beyond lost."  That's disorienting enough in the city, I can't imagine how frightening it would be going deeper and deeper into the woods.  

I hope she and her son turn up safe and sound, and soon.

ETA:  As my husband just poined out, why the fuck isn't Nancy DisGrace all over this one?  There's a chance this woman and her son could still be alive; instead, she'll likely spend another episode on showing Misty Cummings and obsessing about what Misty eats in jail.  

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=24602.msg1565638#msg1565638 date=1268794678]
    I guess cause it was found submerged with the doors open?

The minivan driven by Shantina Smiley, 29, was found partially submerged Sunday with its doors open. A wallet containing Smiley driver's license, some cash and credit cards were found in the van, but neither she nor her son was anywhere in sight.
    Yeah, I'd dial 911 over that, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jAENDoVEXg9_6-EEEzh7GRnemN9wD9EGGAUG0

[size=12pt]Search of woods, water for Wash. mom and son ends[/size]

OLYMPIA, Wash. — Authorities in Washington state ended their search of the woods and water near where a mother vanished with her son last weekend.

Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's office says detectives are still working on the case, but they are no longer searching the area for 29-year-old Shantina Smiley and 8-year-old Azriel Carver.

Mealy says investigators are working on different theories and haven't eliminated any possibilities.

Mealy says they'll find Smiley and her son, it's just a matter and when and where. And he's still hoping they will find her alive and well.

The boy's father, Jay Carver, came to Seattle late Tuesday from New York and says he plans to drive to Olympia to help look for his former partner and their son.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) — The father of a boy who vanished along with his mother last weekend has arrived in Washington to look for them.

Jay Carver arrived at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport from New York late Tuesday and said he planned to rent a car and drive to Olympia, where his former partner and their son were last seen Saturday night. Their abandoned van was found Sunday morning on a remote Puget Sound beach.

Jay Carver told Seattle television stations he's frazzled and wants to get out in the woods and start looking for 29-year-old Shantina Smiley and 8-year-old Azriel Carver. Divers and investigators have found no sign of them.

Smiley's current boyfriend said she's an alcoholic who was a lot of stress and relapsed last week. But he says she would never endanger the boy.

"she's an alcoholic" explains why she left behind the food she bought and the reported 'fall' she had outside of the diner.  I hope the little boy is safe but now it has been 5 days.

She might be holed up in a motel somewhere, drinking, freaked by the unintentional attention she got.

Strong probability body is missing boy

FOX ISLAND, Wash. – A boy's body washed up on the shores of Fox Island in Pierce County Thursday afternoon and detectives say the clothing matches that of a boy who has been missing from Thurston County.

Police have been searching for 8-year-old Azriel Carver and his mother, Shantina "Kat" Smiley, 29, of Silverdale since they disappeared last Saturday.  Smiley's minivan was found partially submerged in Budd Inlet on Sunday.

Someone walking on the beach on Fox Island spotted the body around 2 p.m. and called police.

"There is strong probability it is Azriel based on the clothing description and what we see at the scene," Pierce County Sheriff's Department spokesman Det. Ed Troyer told The News Tribune.

Troyer says detectives and the coroner will work to officially identify the body.

Detectives in boats will search the waters to see if there is another body in the water.

Azrael is the traditional name of the angel of death in many religions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azriel

:|

I just noticed it's spelled Azreal but is on a wiki page entitled Azriel. I googled it because I thought there was a smurf with that name. There is but it is also Azreal.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=24602.msg1567686#msg1567686 date=1268954788]
    Azrael is the traditional name of the angel of death in many religions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azriel

:|

I just noticed it's spelled Azreal but is on a wiki page entitled Azriel. I googled it because I thought there was a smurf with that name. There is but it is also Azreal.

[/quote]

Eerie, anyway.  :2thescream:

I wonder if that means her body is going to wash up soon?

Myspace seems to show a happy, loving person.

This picture with the caption:
    oh no he's dead 

This thread is totally bumming me out.  This totally isn't going to end well.

Uggghhh. I hate crap like this... I mean, I hate it when they find him dead. So now what do they do? Just WAIT and see if they find the mom's body?

Does anyone think she killed him and ran off? And made it "look" like an accident by running the van into the water?
    [quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16707.msg1596454#msg1596454 date=1271309270]<br />You fart dust?&nbsp; :2huh:<br />[/quote]

[quote author=leyash link=topic=24602.msg1567723#msg1567723 date=1268956544]
    Uggghhh. I hate crap like this... I mean, I hate it when they find him dead. So now what do they do? Just WAIT and see if they find the mom's body?

Does anyone think she killed him and ran off? And made it &quot;look&quot; like an accident by running the van into the water?
    [/quote]

Nope.&nbsp; I don't think that for a minute.&nbsp;

Identity confirmed, it's him: http://www.kgw.com/news/Disappearance-of-Wash-family-vexes-police-87828912.html

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=24602.msg1567760#msg1567760 date=1268959925]
    Identity confirmed, it's him: http://www.kgw.com/news/Disappearance-of-Wash-family-vexes-police-87828912.html
    [/quote]

GAHHHHH.
    It's on Nancy Grace.

RIP baby boy. :(
    [quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16707.msg1596454#msg1596454 date=1271309270]<br />You fart dust?&nbsp; :2huh:<br />[/quote]

Wow, what an odd and very sad story! I hadn't heard about this until now. Poor little guy, I really pray he had no clue of what was going on (whatever that was). I hope they find the mother, dead or alive, so atleast the family will have some closure/answers.

God I hope the rest of this story turns out okay... if she killed him or she got murdered herself... ugh...

What? She didn't kill the kid. The kid drowned. She probably did too.

[quote author=wheresthebeef link=topic=24602.msg1567889#msg1567889 date=1268978995]
    What? She didn't kill the kid. The kid drowned. She probably did too.
    [/quote]

Did they give the autopsy results for the boy?

[quote author=leyash link=topic=24602.msg1567895#msg1567895 date=1268979402]
    Did they give the autopsy results for the boy?
    [/quote]

No, but the story doesn't add up to her killing him. They got in an accident in the pitch black dark, fell in the water. There is nothing to say that she killed him. I would just assume the best before the worse.

Thread Information