Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Body parts strewn along Interstates 80/380 in Poconos

Body parts strewn along Interstates 80/380 in Poconos

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/801300333

Police spent Tuesday in a gruesome search along two Pocono highways collecting at least eight bags of body parts scattered like trash.

"There were no attempts to hide anything," said state police Lt. Robert Bartal, explaining the bags were found close to the road, not hidden in the woods.

"There's still quite a bit (of the body) missing," Bartal said.

Police ask anyone who saw trash being dumped along the roads to call (570) 839-7701.

They believe the remains all belong to the same light-skinned victim, possibly a woman. An autopsy is scheduled for 9 a.m. today at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown.

A torso was found in Lackawanna County and a head was recovered along I-380 in Monroe, according to Monroe County District Attorney David Christine. Most of the remains were found in Monroe County.

Police would not disclose what other parts were found, but did say they were all recognizable human remains. They would not say if clothing or other items were found in any of the bags. They did say it is obviously a homicide investigation.

Police were not certain how long it had been since the remains were discarded, and they are not confident all the bags have been found.

The first discovery was made at 9:07 a.m. Tuesday. A Pennsylvania Department of Transportation crew treating roads in preparation for freezing rain discovered the first bag in Coolbaugh Township at mile marker 4.1 on Interstate 380. The bag was in the median. When the PennDOT crew realized they had found human remains, state police at Swiftwater were contacted.

Interstate 380 was closed in both directions and traffic was detoured to routes 940 and 611 for hours while police searched the area.

More than 25 officers were used in the search. Police were seen wearing gloves and going through bags of trash along the interstate.

Body parts were found in Coolbaugh, Pocono, Tobyhanna and Stroud townships and Stroudsburg Borough in Monroe County and Covington Township in Lackawanna County.

On northbound I-380, bags were found in the median area at mile markers, 0.4, 4.1, 5.2, 5.6, 14.4 and the southbound ramp at mile marker 7.5.

More were found on eastbound I-80 at mile marker 294.8, and westbound I-80 at mile marker 306.6.

Police said "at least one bag" was found at each of the locations.

A truck driver told the Pocono Record he saw three tarps covering something along I-380 Tuesday morning before police closed the interstate. A knife was found at the Interstate 380/Route 940 interchange, but it is not known if that weapon is connected with the human remains.

[

Re: Body parts strewn along Interstates 80/380 in Poconos

[quote author=ChrisClu80 link=topic=12395.msg715872#msg715872 date=1201813345]

Police would not disclose what other parts were found, but did say they were all recognizable human remains. They would not say if clothing or other items were found in any of the bags. They did say it is obviously a homicide investigation.

[/quote]uhhh..duh? I've been hearing about this since we are in general proximity. Creepy.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

at least the have the head for dental records.

I would have hated to be a part of the DOT crew.  YUCK!

This is going to be one hell of a fucked up, senseless story. 

*Waiting*

In the Poconos case, body parts were found in various locations along Interstates 80 and 380. The remains are those of a heavy-set white woman, about 5-foot-7, with dark hair containing some gray.

An autopsy found the woman suffered "multiple violent injuries," any of which could have killed her. The forensic pathologists who performed the autopsy at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest would not discuss how they do their work. But medical examiners who have worked on similar cases said they take the same approach in an autopsy to identify the victim, find a cause of death and clues to the killer, whether they are looking at body parts or a body that's intact.

"It's just a greater challenge if you don't have all the pieces," said Dr. John D. Howard, the chief medical examiner in Spokane, Wash., and vice president of the Atlanta-based National Association of Medical Examiners.

One challenge is that examiners must determine whether all the severed parts came from the same person. Sometimes, it's a matter of piecing together a tatoo, scar or the diameter of cut bones. The more conclusive test is laboratory matching of DNA from samples of blood, bone or muscle.

"Each part is considered a human remain," Howard said. "So you treat it with dignity but identify as much from that part as you can."

If the head is available -- as with the woman found locally -- a sketch of the face, dental X-rays and dentures engraved with a name or initials can sometimes help identify the victim, experts said.

Likewise, a hand can yield fingerprints for a match if the victim had ever been fingerprinted as a child or as a crime suspect.

The victim's height can be obtained from as little as a leg bone, Howard said. Anthropology studies of various populations over time have produced formulas for determining height from a single femur or tibia. Such studies also help medical examiners approximate age by looking at the fourth rib, collar bone and pelvis.

To determine the victim's cause of death, examiners search the skin for bruises, cuts other than those that severed the body parts, and any other signs of illness or injury. They also X-ray the parts for broken bones, anatomical anomalies and metal fragments that could come from a knife or bullet.

Finding clues about the killer more often involves police work or profiling by mental health experts. However, Dr. Stephen Pustilnik, chief medical examiner in Galveston, recalled one murder case in Alabama about 20 years ago in which the autopsy yielded key evidence. "The killer carved his initials into the victim," he said.

Katherine Ramsland, a DeSales University professor, author and authority on serial killers and forensic psychology, said police accounts of how the woman's body parts were discarded last week in the Poconos might say something about her killer.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-body12,0,4229711.story
    Some news on it.

Ugh...that's where my sister lives. her friend was one of the cops and he took a picture of the head and was apparently showin it to everyone at the bar. No respect whatsoever.

RIP unidentified woman 

That cop should lose his job, how sick is that.

[quote author=ashcash link=topic=12395.msg719805#msg719805 date=1202136958]
    Ugh...that's where my sister lives. her friend was one of the cops and he took a picture of the head and was apparently showin it to everyone at the bar. No respect whatsoever.

RIP unidentified woman 
    [/quote]

Nothing like fucking up the investigation and future trial from the get go.  :roll:

RIP unidentified woman 
    [/quote]

I guess they didn't learn anything from the Nikki Catsouras photo release disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

I know many cops from up there and many are far from professional. I mean come on the lady was murdered, hacked and now this dude is showin pictures of her decomposing head around like its just so awesome. My sister said she saw it ... I told her she's a sick fuck.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hd_dMcRiKDFzZMWyeXVRR2G0tHyAD8V9M7F80

RIP unidentified woman 
    [/quote]

Apparently they just found the head.

Deanna Marie Null of Scranton and Williamsport has been identified as the woman whose
    dismembered remains were found in garbage bags along Interstates 80 and 380 last Tuesday.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...4013/-1/NEWS01

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=12395.msg760119#msg760119 date=1205051075]
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hd_dMcRiKDFzZMWyeXVRR2G0tHyAD8V9M7F80

Apparently they just found the head.
    [/quote]

Hm...I don't know...previous articles state that the head was found in January...so who knows. I didn't see it, and surely don't want to.

I just noticed that was an AP article you posted, they usually aren't the most accurate...

ETA: They used dental records to ID her body in early Feb.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lelOmT6_v8

AP sucks :lol:

[quote author=aquatwins link=topic=12395.msg760122#msg760122 date=1205051883]

Deanna Marie Null of Scranton and Williamsport has been identified as the woman whose
    dismembered remains were found in garbage bags along Interstates 80 and 380 last Tuesday.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...4013/-1/NEWS01
    [/quote]

Wow. I used to live in Williamsport.

[quote author=BrandiYne link=topic=12395.msg760158#msg760158 date=1205073574]
    Wow. I used to live in Williamsport.
    [/quote]

I was born and raised in Scranton! Stuff like this just doesn't happen too often - but it seems the area is becoming more and more dangerous - lots of drug activity. :|

Drugs will do it. Williamsport's biggest 'deal' is the Little League World Series.

There is a sub community of recovering drug addicts there.  Very nice project housing, better services than  in the larger cities. I worked in outpt. rehab there and very few of the clients were local.

[quote author=BrandiYne link=topic=12395.msg760166#msg760166 date=1205074548]
    Drugs will do it. Williamsport's biggest 'deal' is the Little League World Series.

There is a sub community of recovering drug addicts there.  Very nice project housing, better services than  in the larger cities. I worked in outpt. rehab there and very few of the clients were local.
    [/quote]

Yeah, there's a lot of people moving into the area from NYC and Philly - where most of the drugs come from anyway :| Seems this woman was a user, and unfortunately probably messed with the wrong guy. He said he's done drugs with her before, so I don't know if it was her dealer or someone who wanted to take her stash/she ripped him off? Who knows...

ETA: Apparently he had traded her drugs and money for sex
    http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=7986653&nav=menu158_2

I'm confused, why keep the hands?

[quote author=ChrisClu80 link=topic=12395.msg715872#msg715872 date=1201813345]
    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/801300333

They believe the remains all belong to the same light-skinned victim, [u]possibly a woman. [/quote]

Wonder what body part they found to tip them off to that? What are the other possibilities?
    Investigative journalism at it's finest.
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=21574.msg1377077#msg1377077 date=1251870961]<br />You are every kind of fail<br />[/quote]

[quote author=LilDevil link=topic=12395.msg761074#msg761074 date=1205164642]
    [/quote]

Maybe he needed an extra set of hands to help with his dirty work?&nbsp; :|

[quote author=LilDevil link=topic=12395.msg761074#msg761074 date=1205164642]
    [/quote]
    Fingerprints? or they just haven't found them? Or maybe whoever is just freakin crazy?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=12395.msg761613#msg761613 date=1205185607]
    Fingerprints?
    [/quote]
    I was thinking fingerprints also.

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=12395.msg761613#msg761613 date=1205185607]
    Fingerprints? or they just haven't found them? Or maybe whoever is just freakin crazy?
    [/quote]

I was thinking both of those possibilities - you know how killers like to keep souvenirs of their kills.&nbsp; Maybe she stole from him? You know, the whole symbolic &quot;Steal from me and get your hands chopped off.&quot; :|

[quote author=ashcash link=topic=12395.msg761675#msg761675 date=1205189593]
    I was thinking both of those possibilities - you know how killers like to keep souvenirs of their kills.&nbsp; Maybe she stole from him? You know, the whole symbolic &quot;Steal from me and get your hands chopped off.&quot; :|
    [/quote]

Or maybe she just gave a killer handjob :|
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=21574.msg1377077#msg1377077 date=1251870961]<br />You are every kind of fail<br />[/quote]

Thread Information