Thread: Karissa Paige Boudreau (12) Murdered

Karissa Paige Boudreau (12) Murdered

CHESTER, N.S. — The death of a 12-year-old Nova Scotia girl whose remains were found in the woods outside Bridgewater two weeks after she disappeared is being treated as a homicide, police said Thursday.

Investigators with the RCMP and Bridgewater police said they had no suspects but they stressed the death of Karissa Boudreau was an isolated incident.

The Grade 6 student vanished from a parking lot in the community on Nova Scotia's south shore on Jan. 27.

A passerby found human remains on Saturday buried in the snow in nearby Conqueral Bank, but a medical examiner could not confirm the identity until an autopsy was completed Wednesday.

Her parents were given the grim news Thursday morning.

The autopsy revealed how the girl died, but that information is not being released because it could undermine the police investigation, Sergeant John Collyer of Bridgewater police told a news conference in nearby Chester.

"I can't get into too much in the way of specifics," he said. "That's the investigators thoughts on it at this point. I can't really speculate any further."

The investigators also declined to say if the girl died the night she went missing or if she died in the place where her body was found — about 10 metres from the LaHave River, just outside Bridgewater's town limits.

Sgt. Collyer confirmed the body was found "within walking distance" of the girl's home and there had not been a ground search in that area.

He said he knows there's concern about safety in the community, which hasn't had to deal with a murder in 15 years.

"I just want them to know that the full resources of the Bridgewater police service and the RCMP are involved in this investigation and we're putting all of our efforts into trying to bring this to a successful resolution," he said.

"Obviously, we will do our utmost to ensure the safety of the community."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl..._gam_mostemail

There's more in the article, I just didn't want to post it ALL.

RIP Karissa, I hope nothing too horrible happened to you before you died.

Re: Karissa Paige Boudreau (12) Murdered

[quote author=***JiLL*** link=topic=12708.msg731532#msg731532 date=1203111976]
    CHESTER, N.S. — The death of a 12-year-old Nova Scotia girl whose remains were found in the woods outside Bridgewater two weeks after she disappeared is being treated as a homicide, police said Thursday.

Investigators with the RCMP and Bridgewater police said they had no suspects but they stressed the death of Karissa Boudreau was an isolated incident.

The Grade 6 student vanished from a parking lot in the community on Nova Scotia's south shore on Jan. 27.

A passerby found human remains on Saturday buried in the snow in nearby Conqueral Bank, but a medical examiner could not confirm the identity until an autopsy was completed Wednesday.

Her parents were given the grim news Thursday morning.

The autopsy revealed how the girl died, but that information is not being released because it could undermine the police investigation, Sergeant John Collyer of Bridgewater police told a news conference in nearby Chester.

"I can't get into too much in the way of specifics," he said. "That's the investigators thoughts on it at this point. I can't really speculate any further."

The investigators also declined to say if the girl died the night she went missing or if she died in the place where her body was found — about 10 metres from the LaHave River, just outside Bridgewater's town limits.

Sgt. Collyer confirmed the body was found "within walking distance" of the girl's home and there had not been a ground search in that area.

He said he knows there's concern about safety in the community, which hasn't had to deal with a murder in 15 years.

"I just want them to know that the full resources of the Bridgewater police service and the RCMP are involved in this investigation and we're putting all of our efforts into trying to bring this to a successful resolution," he said.

"Obviously, we will do our utmost to ensure the safety of the community."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl..._gam_mostemail

There's more in the article, I just didn't want to post it ALL.

RIP Karissa, I hope nothing too horrible happened to you before you died.
    [/quote]

That's some good bullshit right there. 

apparently they questioned karissa's mother and stepfather, and had to let them go (held for 24 hours) but they are still suspects. that's the rumor around here anyway... 

rip karissa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JzMpslTsp0

Slain girl's mother charged
    Jun 14, 2008 06:38 PM
    THE CANADIAN PRESS

BRIDGEWATER, N.S. – Police have charged the mother of a 12-year-old Nova Scotia girl whose frozen body was found on a riverbank near Bridgewater in February with the premeditated killing of her only child.

Police said today they arrested Penny Boudreau in Halifax on Friday and later charged her with the first-degree murder of Karissa Boudreau.

"From the onset, investigators were confident this was an isolated incident," said RCMP Supt. Blair McKnight, the officer in charge of criminal investigations in Nova Scotia.

"Investigators felt Karissa must have known her killer. This was reinforced by the RCMP profiler who assisted investigators."

Neither McKnight nor Bridgewater police chief Brent Crowhurst would reveal any details about the investigation, saying only that they spent the last four months sifting through evidence and responding to tips.

"Investigators feel there was only one person responsible for this homicide," said Crowhurst. "We do not expect anyone else to be charged in this case."

The girl's 33-year-old mother reported Karissa missing late on the afternoon of Jan. 27, as a snowstorm descended on the region.

Penny Boudreau told police she had argued with her daughter that day as they drove to a supermarket in Bridgewater, a town of 8,000 near Nova Scotia's South Shore.

Boudreau said she went into the store, leaving the girl in a car.

When she returned, she told investigators, Karissa was gone.

Two days after she reported her daughter missing, Boudreau appealed to the public for help at an emotional news conference.

Her eyes swollen from crying, her face pale and drawn, she said: ``I'm trying not to think the worst. It's plain and simple hell. Not knowing where your kids are is horrible."

At the time, Boudreau said the two often argued.

"I took her for a drive that day," a sobbing Boudreau told the news conference on Jan. 29. "I was trying to reach out to her as a mom and set some things straight."

Boudreau stressed their disagreements were never serious and the brown-haired girl had not run away before.

"I just want you to come home," she pleaded tearfully before the TV cameras. "We all love you, Karissa. I love you."

Police said they were worried for the girl because she wasn't prepared for the cold weather, wearing only a black hoodie, black vest, blue jeans and pink Crocs.

In the days after her disappearance, Karissa, a Grade 6 student at Bridgewater Elementary School, was described as a typical 12-year-old who loved singing along to Hilary Duff and the Spice Girls CDs while dancing in her room.

The girl's body was found Feb. 9 by a passerby who spotted human remains partially covered in snow on a steep bank of the LaHave River just south of the town.

An autopsy revealed how the girl died, but police have not released details.

Within weeks of her death, police said they had questioned two people known to Karissa, but they were later released without charges.

Since then, the town has buzzed with rumours about the killing and police have come under intense pressure to reveal details of their investigation.

About a half dozen local residents showed up at the news conference. Some said the shocking crime has dominated discussion in the local coffee shops for the past four months.

"It's just kind of overwhelming," said Candace Hubley. "This is Bridgewater, Nova Scotia. Nothing like this has ever happened."

The last time police investigated a homicide in Bridgewater was 13 years ago when someone died in a bar fight.

Kendra Veinot, 24, said she found the case "absolutely disgusting."

"I didn't know her (Karissa) personally, but she became Bridgewater's little girl after she went missing and it's sad to see that this has happened to somebody," she said.

At a roadside memorial near the site where Karissa's body was found, Anna Hynick said the death gripped the community.

"Everybody cared so much for her even though a lot of people didn't know her, but we still felt close to her," she said, looking over at a long line of colourful plastic flowers on the memorial.

The investigators confirmed Karissa's father and grandparents were told about the arrest and charge this morning.

"It's a sad thing to have happen in Bridgewater," said 63-year-old Jim Barrett. "We're sick, we're tired. ... It helps to us to rest, to give us a little peace."

Boudreau is scheduled to appear in provincial court in Bridgewater on Monday.

Though she was born in Ontario, Penny Boudreau did most of her growing up in Clark's Harbour, the largest community on Cape Sable Island – a spit of land at the edge of Nova Scotia's southwestern tip.

Her father, Barry Dawe of Fogo Island, N.L., moved to the island with her after he split up with Penny's mother, according to the mayor of Clark's Harbour, Leigh Stoddart.

Stoddart said Dawe was a neighbour and Penny would sometimes babysit his kids.

"He's the finest kind of guy," Stoddart said in a recent interview, noting that Dawe had two other children with his second wife, Marsha.

"They had good treatment, those kids."

Boudreau and Karissa's father, Paul Boudreau, met in Clark's Harbour, but they split up when the Karissa was very young, Dawe said.

Rev. Perry Ingersoll, the pastor at West Head Wesleyan Church, said Karissa and her mother regularly attended Sunday school.

"She (Karissa) seemed to be just like any other normal kid running around here," Ingersoll said in a recent interview.

Ingersoll said Boudreau later married Paul Boudreau's brother Shane, and the couple lived in Newellton, N.S., before moving to the Bridgewater area in 2005, where they later separated.

"They seemed to be a nice couple and I was very shocked when I'd heard they'd split up," said Ingersoll.

Thread Information