Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The death of a very musically talented man

The death of a very musically talented man

Syd Barrett, the former lead singer of Pink Floyd and one of the key figures of the 60s, has died at the Cambridgeshire home to which he retreated as a recluse more than 30 years ago.
    The Guardian has learned that the singer, 60, who suffered from a psychedelic-drug induced breakdown while at the peak of his career, died last Friday from cancer.

His brother Alan confirmed his death, saying only: "He died peacefully at home. There will be a private family funeral in the next few days."

Born Roger Keith Barrett in Cambridge in 1946, he acquired the nickname Syd aged 15. He left Pink Floyd in 1968, just as the band was about to achieve worldwide recognition, and lived in the basement of his mother Winfred's semi-detached house, where he boarded up the windows to keep out the eyes of both the press and fans. He recorded two solo albums.
    Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond, from the 1975 album Wish You Were Here, was said by many to be a salute to him. Barrett's use of drugs, particularly LSD, in the 60s, was well-documented and he was often described as the original acid casualty.

A statement issued on behalf of Pink Floyd said: "The band are naturally very upset and sad to learn of Syd Barrett's death. Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire."

Dave Gilmour, the Pink Floyd guitarist drafted in to the band during a period in which Barrett was behaving erratically, said in an interview earlier this year that he thought that Barrett's breakdown would have happened anyway.

He said: "It was a deep-rooted thing. But I'll say the psychedelic experience might well have acted as a catalyst. Still, I just don't think he could deal with the vision of success and all the things that went with it."
    "Helpless, selfish, stupid power!"

I guess nobody listens to Pink Floyd in here like I do. I think I should have been born in the 60's, I am way to hippy for this 06' pop rock bulshit.
    "Helpless, selfish, stupid power!"

I read about it earlier in the news, so sad. I am not familiar with Pink Floyd's sound tho, but I don't doubt it was a death of a legend.

bmw

I can't think of any Pink Floyd songs off the top of my head. However Im sure I know a few.

Ok god were you guys living under a rock? The wall...best cd ever and the movie was awesome...Jenni Pink Floyd rocked and I am sorry about his death...
    <br />The Angel within

SOAD

I beg to differ here, Pink Floyd is cool but the wall is not the best album, its the most commercial sharing this place with dark side of the moon, both are cracking albums tho
    Personally my faves are division bell, animals, wish you were here, and meddle is quite good (very instmental)

dont ever buy umma gumma....its crap

Absolute legend of a legendary band. Did you know there was a time when Dark Side of the Moon was in such high demand that there was a factory in Germany whose sole task was to produce enough copies? Unbelievable.

Did not know that...and SOAD I would have to agree with Dark Side of the Moon but I loved The Wall...Wish you were here was my fav!
    <br />The Angel within

I'm not their biggest fan, but I can appreciate their contribution to music.

I have a sparkly GIR heheh....Look at it sparkle...
    <br />The Angel within

Quote Originally Posted by badkittie2021
    Ok god were you guys living under a rock? The wall...best cd ever and the movie was awesome...Jenni Pink Floyd rocked and I am sorry about his death...
    You don't have to apologize about his death Kittie :lol-old: I am as surprised as you are to hear that none of this people have listened to Pink Floyd. That is even more sad then his death. Go listen to Pink Floyd kids, it's good stuff. Great house cleaning music, ladies!
    &quot;Helpless, selfish, stupid power!&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by SOAD
    I beg to differ here, Pink Floyd is cool but the wall is not the best album, its the most commercial sharing this place with dark side of the moon, both are cracking albums tho
    Personally my faves are division bell, animals, wish you were here, and meddle is quite good (very instmental)

dont ever buy umma gumma....its crap
    Meddle is my favorite! Such a good album.

I know right Jenni...weird...They were so fantastic...sigh...
    <br />The Angel within

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni
    I guess nobody listens to Pink Floyd in here like I do. I think I should have been born in the 60's, I am way to hippy for this 06' pop rock bulshit.
    Jenni I do! I was sad when I heard the news.

I live near the town he lived in and rumour has it he was once spotted riding round on a penny farthing bike. Sadly I never saw that! :lol-old:

Although I love Pink Floyd and agree that they are a great band, Syd Barrett was only involved in Two of their albums. neither of wich has been mentioned here. Just FYI for those of you that didnt know.

* The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (5 August 1967) #6 UK
    * A Saucerful of Secrets (29 June 1968) #9 UK

That is unless you count later compilations.

* Relics (14 May 1971) #34 UK, #152 US
    * Works (1983)
    * Shine On (1992 box set)
    * Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd (5 November 2001) #2 UK, #2 US

Thats not to take away from his talent though.
    &quot;Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.&quot;<br /><br />

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Denton-Brian
    Although I love Pink Floyd and agree that they are a great band, Syd Barrett was only involved in Two of their albums. neither of wich has been mentioned here. Just FYI for those of you that didnt know.

* Works (1983)

I was about to say, sure he came from a great band, and he may have been a great musician....but he wasn't even in the band by the time they climbed to great success and recognition, was he? I don't think he even took part in any of their greatest hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh

* Works (1983)

I was about to say, sure he came from a great band, and he may have been a great musician....but he wasn't even in the band by the time they climbed to great success and recognition, was he? I don't think he even took part in any of their greatest hits.
    No, not really. Although Shine you Crazy diamond Was a tribute to Syd.
    &quot;Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.&quot;<br /><br />

* Works (1983)

But he made Pink Floyd. He started the band and took way to much LSD and then freaked out. He came out with some solo stuff after he fled from Pink Floyd. It was just amazing, he was very talented. It's just a shame that he left the band so soon. I wonder if he had stayed what other kind of music they would have come up with? He was a bit trippy to say the least. My husband loved him.

* Works (1983)

But he made Pink Floyd. He started the band and took way to much LSD and then freaked out. He came out with some solo stuff after he fled from Pink Floyd. It was just amazing, he was very talented. It's just a shame that he left the band so soon. I wonder if he had stayed what other kind of music they would have come up with? He was a bit trippy to say the least. My husband loved him.
    Well, he was one of the founding members. The fact is he spent most of his time with pink floyd walking around the stage like a zombie. Thats why one day they went on tour and they left Syd at home. They had to get David Gilmour to play guitar and sing because Syd would just get High and Wander around the stage.

I think I might do the same if I did a bus load of LSD. Wouldn't you? I wish I could have gone to one of their earlier shows. I was saddened to hear the news of his death, but not as sad as i would be if it was Neil Young. I LOVE THAT MAN! And if I was alive when Nick Drake died and Janice Joplin, I would have also shed a tear for them as well. Shit I forgot Jimi, how the hell could I have forgotten the best musician of all times. Now he was an amazing man, to bad he passed at the youthful age of 27. Imagine what music would be like if Jimi was still with us. Now that is a wonderful fantasy!

I think I might do the same if I did a bus load of LSD. Wouldn't you? I wish I could have gone to one of their earlier shows. I was saddened to hear the news of his death, but not as sad as i would be if it was Neil Young. I LOVE THAT MAN! And if I was alive when Nick Drake died and Janice Joplin, I would have also shed a tear for them as well. Shit I forgot Jimi, how the hell could I have forgotten the best musician of all times. Now he was an amazing man, to bad he passed at the youthful age of 27. Imagine what music would be like if Jimi was still with us. Now that is a wonderful fantasy!
    Now you are speaking my language! Jimi is the master! I need to take a picture of this awsome painting my wife did of Jimi so i can show it off.

Now you are speaking my language! Jimi is the master! I need to take a picture of this awsome painting my wife did of Jimi so i can show it off.
    I would love to see that one. i saw your MySpace and noticed you have a photo of her painting. I love to paint too. I love doing Oil on canvas or watercolors on plain paper. I have been doing art for years myself. Nothing spactacular or anything, but just out of mere fun. It helps release tension and express my mind. I love art and music!

I would love to see that one. i saw your MySpace and noticed you have a photo of her painting. I love to paint too. I love doing Oil on canvas or watercolors on plain paper. I have been doing art for years myself. Nothing spactacular or anything, but just out of mere fun. It helps release tension and express my mind. I love art and music!
    My wife used to have a ton of her paintings on her myspace. Now she has all of our furniture we sell on ebay. I will show you some of her stuff.

Hence wish you were here was written.

SOAD

who has actually done LSD? I have and it is the most hilarious thing ever...a complete mind fuck.....just dont look at woodchip wallpaper or artexed ceilings, and dont sit indoors watching horror movies its a bad idea
    best thing is to get about 2-4 mates and go sit in the middle of the woods, and pre-roll any grass joints coz making them while tripping is a bad experience coz it all feels funny
    not done the stuff for 5 or 6 years now, I feel at 27 I should know better

Thread Information