Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Joshua D Ammirato (18), Isaac Rubin (20), Dustin Dawe (19), James Hime (19), and James Casey (19) were killed in a 160 mph crash on a runway in Florida

Re: Dustin Dawe (19), James Hime (19), and 3 others were killed in a 160 mph crash

I hear about stupid shit like this and i think....i feel bad for the passengers and their families, but the driver deserves a nice shiny Darwin Award
    Hugo, yer starin' at me like I just f***in' asked you the square root of something

Re: Dustin Dawe (19), James Hime (19), and 3 others were killed in a 160 mph cra

[quote author=24/7inquisitor link=topic=12297.msg712313#msg712313 date=1201624149]
    That's ridiculous! This kid was extremely irresponsible and bang out of line but there is no need to say such a crass thing. If we want to talk semantics, how about the passengers? I suppose they had it coming for getting in the car in the first place? Do you have kids? I suppose they're angels? Much like you were as a teen yes?
    [/quote]

Please tell me where in my post I said that the passengers deserved to die?  And please, can you quote me where I said the driver deserved to die.  Oh wait, you can't. If you don't want assumptions made about you, don't make them about me.  And no, I don't have kids.  Little to young for that.  And as for me being an angel in my teenage years, I think I was as close as I possibly could.  I went to high school every day for 4 years (perfect attendance), never did drugs or drank, worked hard, went to college and graduated.  I hardly ever fought with my parents, me and my siblings got along, and I had/have wonderful friends who don't put my life in danger.  Now, as I'm listing this, I don't think that I'm any better than the kids involved in this accident.  I just made better choices.  Yes, I had my license when I was 17 but I had absolutely no desire to speed like an idiot on an airstrip with other people in my car. 

So just to make YOU a little happier, R.I.P. PASSENGERS, and M5.............. and driver.

Re: Dustin Dawe (19), James Hime (19), and 3 others were killed in a 160 mph crash

Unfortunately, kids do stupid things.  I'm not trying to justify it in the slightest.  This was senseless and stupid, but I think people are forgetting that they were immature kids, who made an immature decision.  They were basically all the same age as I am, and there would be no way in hell I'd be willing to get into a car, and be driven around at those kinds of speeds.

Also, I read another article that said alcohol was NOT a factor.  Although, the article I read was around the time it first happened, so things could have changed.

Re: Dustin Dawe (19), James Hime (19), and 3 others were killed in a 160 mph cra

[quote author=LilDevil link=topic=12297.msg713051#msg713051 date=1201661379]

Please tell me where in my post I said that the passengers deserved to die?  And please, can you quote me where I said the driver deserved to die.  Oh wait, you can't. If you don't want assumptions made about you, don't make them about me.  And no, I don't have kids.  Little to young for that.  And as for me being an angel in my teenage years, I think I was as close as I possibly could.  I went to high school every day for 4 years (perfect attendance), never did drugs or drank, worked hard, went to college and graduated.  I hardly ever fought with my parents, me and my siblings got along, and I had/have wonderful friends who don't put my life in danger.  Now, as I'm listing this, I don't think that I'm any better than the kids involved in this accident.  I just made better choices.  Yes, I had my license when I was 17 but I had absolutely no desire to speed like an idiot on an airstrip with other people in my car. 

So just to make YOU a little happier, R.I.P. PASSENGERS, and M5.............. and driver.
    [/quote]

And please tell me where in mine did I accuse you of saying they did deserve to die? I said you omitted to mention them, instead 'pitying' a piece of friggin' metal.

Thanks for the life story. Your teenage years sound perfectly mundane, however, this thread is not about you.

[quote author=24/7inquisitor link=topic=12297.msg712313#msg712313 date=1201624149]
    That's ridiculous! This kid was extremely irresponsible and bang out of line but there is no need to say such a crass thing. If we want to talk semantics, how about the passengers? I suppose they had it coming for getting in the car in the first place? Do you have kids? I suppose they're angels? Much like you were as a teen yes?
    [/quote]

Now, no, you didn't directly say that I said they deserved to die but from the above bolded print, you ask that question like I insinuated that they deserved it.  And secondly, you were the one to bring up my teenage years asking if I was an "angel", I just merely responded to it by showing that I actually made good choices in my life that didn't result in anyone being in danger or dying. 

Do I feel bad for the passengers and driver for being in such a horrible crash?  Of course.  It's such a senseless tragedy that so could have easily been avoided.  And yes, I feel bad for the driver's parents bc not only do they have to hear that their son died, he took an extremely expensive piece of equipment that he shouldn't have been driving in the first place with him.  And do I feel bad for the passengers' parents?  Of course, but they got in the car probably knowing what they were going to do that night.  I doubt the driver just took them randomly to an air strip, locked the doors, and said "I'm going to see how fast this thing can go."  If this sounds to harsh to you, to bad.  I'm not going to change how I think just bc you have a problem with it. 

But for now, I am not going to hijack this thread with a stupid argument.  How bout we agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I do hope that something good comes out of this tragedy and that their friends realize that driving fast isn't smart.   

I agree that kids will be kids and that this is very tragic. I feel horrible for the families. I can't help but wonder, though, were they not at all familier with this area? Did he think this runway would never end? Did he think he could just stop on a dime if it did suddenly end? WTF was he thinking?

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/02/State/Blogs_turn_grief_into.shtml

A New Jersey blogger wrote about the five young men: "Stupid dead boys," he typed. "Bumbling, fumbling, stumbling idiots."

He sent the blog to the grieving friends who had created memorials on their MySpace pages.

:-o And WTF was this guy thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=12297.msg719879#msg719879 date=1202142174]
    I agree that kids will be kids and that this is very tragic. I feel horrible for the families. I can't help but wonder, though, were they not at all familier with this area? Did he think this runway would never end? Did he think he could just stop on a dime if it did suddenly end? WTF was he thinking?

A New Jersey blogger wrote about the five young men: "Stupid dead boys," he typed. "Bumbling, fumbling, stumbling idiots."

He sent the blog to the grieving friends who had created memorials on their MySpace pages.

[/quote]

I read about that blogger guy.  He seems to like to upset people.  He was basically feeding off the angry comments the boys' friends were leaving him.  The blogger is no gem himself.  He had a daughter that was essentially taken away from him and his wife (girlfriend?) even though they willingly signed her over.  Apparently they were denying the little girl medical attention, and social services got involved.  So, he can act all high and mighty and refer to them as "stupid", but he really is no smarter.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=12297.msg719879#msg719879 date=1202142174]

[/quote]

Unless the kid bought an 80K M5 himself, what were the parents thinking? Those cars are designed for the autobahn. From some auto blogs...
    BMW engineers claimed that the  M5 is capable of around 205mph, which I believe.

The M5 will top out at about 185 without the limiter, and yes your moderator is correct there is almost no place where that should be done.

Realistically there is no reason for a car to have such a high top speed. F1 cars average around 160mph. In a drag, the fastest stock cars only hit around 115mph, and on a track most cars won't hit 155mph. So really, the only places anyone would ever hit above 155mph would be possibly on a track (but not too often) and on long stretches of Autobahn, where the incredibly high speeds these cars are capable of just arn't safe in anyone's (even an very experienced driver) hands.

Being an auto enthusiast myself I'll tell you at plus 120 MPH you have to look a half mile up the road at that speed. It's easy to see how they ran out of runway. I just don't see what a kid is doing with an M5. Those cars are beasts.

[quote author=PCP777 link=topic=12297.msg719908#msg719908 date=1202144635]
    Unless the kid bought an 80K M5 himself, what were the parents thinking? Those cars are designed for the autobahn. From some auto blogs...
    BMW engineers claimed that the  M5 is capable of around 205mph, which I believe.

The M5 will top out at about 185 without the limiter, and yes your moderator is correct there is almost no place where that should be done.

Realistically there is no reason for a car to have such a high top speed. F1 cars average around 160mph. In a drag, the fastest stock cars only hit around 115mph, and on a track most cars won't hit 155mph. So really, the only places anyone would ever hit above 155mph would be possibly on a track (but not too often) and on long stretches of Autobahn, where the incredibly high speeds these cars are capable of just arn't safe in anyone's (even an very experienced driver) hands.

Being an auto enthusiast myself I'll tell you at plus 120 MPH you have to look a half mile up the road at that speed. It's easy to see how they ran out of runway. I just don't see what a kid is doing with an M5. Those cars are beasts.

[/quote]

A girl I graduated high school with moved to Florida, and actually knew these kids.  I talked to her a few minutes ago.  It was one of their fathers cars.  Apparently that area is pretty classy, and full of spoiled kids.

Yeah, the thing is this is not just a luxury car, it's one of the fastest production cars around. Just google BMW  M5 and look at some of the videos. I'd love to own this car, I sure as hell wouldn't lend it to  my 19 YO  son. This kid was even posting on M5 boards...

I know how I used to drive at that age......recipe for disaster.

The Florida Hwy Patrol released a report that the car was traveling at 120 mph.
    http://www.wesh.com/news/15220295/detail.html

[quote author=am83rz link=topic=12297.msg720959#msg720959 date=1202229785]
    The Florida Hwy Patrol released a report that the car was traveling at 120 mph.
    http://www.wesh.com/news/15220295/detail.html
    [/quote]

120 MPH is pretty fast.
    "Investigators said Joshua Ammirato was driving his BMW when it went airborne and hit the tree about 200 feet away."

Witnesses say party preceded fatal Greystone crash

BY FRED HIERS
    STAR-BANNER

OCALA - Nearly three weeks after a young Marion County man drove his father's BMW off the end of a private airstrip at Jumbolair Estates, killing himself and four passengers, information is emerging that there was a party at the airport shortly before the crash and that there was at least one other car on the runway.

In addition, the Star-Banner has learned the driver, 18-year-old Joshua Ammirato, had planned just hours before the fatal crash to join other BMW M5 drivers on an unnamed airstrip in South Florida for a future high-speed run.

"I'm in," he responded in an online post to M5board.com forum members planning the trip.

But he never got the chance. That's because he would first test his high-performance car at Greystone Airport.

Now, witnesses are reporting seeing dozens of empty alcohol bottles in a pool and reception hall area at the south end of the runway and empty alcohol bottles nearby at the edge of the airstrip, suggesting there was a party before the crash.

Witnesses also said they saw at least two sets of car lights on the runway that morning, suggesting there were others who saw what happened but left before authorities arrived.

Continues on link

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080213/NEWS/802130343/-1/news24&template=artwithcomments

Wow. Anyone who can leave a scene like that must really have something to hide. I bet alcohol was involved.

The last thread he posted in

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1236121#post1236121

I guess he didn't want to have to wait for the organised 'run-off', I just wonder if that thread gave him ideas? Really ironic all the same. How does racing on private land come under legislation in the US? These run-offs are totally illegal right?

This case really got my attention more so than some others, probably due to losing 2 people I know as a result of a high speed collision, who knows. Anyway the toxicology results haven't been reported on yet, but there's clearly some cover-up going on in the town.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080215/OPINION/802150308/-1/news24&template=artwithcomments

A few paddies being thrown in the comments

If someone knows something they should just come forward. It won't bring the men back, but it would take away some of the hype and sensationalism surrounding their deaths, which can only be a good thing. Personally, I think I'd want to clear my conscious.

[quote author=24/7inquisitor link=topic=12297.msg735020#msg735020 date=1203402157]
    This case really got my attention more so than some others, probably due to losing 2 people I know as a result of a high speed collision, who knows. Anyway the toxicology results haven't been reported on yet, but there's clearly some cover-up going on in the town.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080215/OPINION/802150308/-1/news24&template=artwithcomments

A few paddies being thrown in the comments

If someone knows something they should just come forward. It won't bring the men back, but it would take away some of the hype and sensationalism surrounding their deaths, which can only be a good thing. Personally, I think I'd want to clear my conscious.
    [/quote]

Since I'm in here anyway, RIP.

The parents are all hiring lawyers to portion/deal with the blame.

''University of Florida law school professor Pedro Malavet, explained in an interview with the Star-Banner that the lawyers hired in the case would try to establish who was at fault for the crash.

He said if the driver was at fault, the next step would be to determine the value of the driver's estate.

Although Joshua Ammirato was driving the $85,000 BMW M5, it was registered to his father, Santo.

"That may change things. They may be liable," Malavet said.

And even though the four passengers might have known what they were getting themselves into when they got into the car on the runway with the driver, the car's owner and driver's estate are still legally vulnerable, Malavet said.

The owners of the runway could also face legal problems
    , Malavet said, depending on what precautions they took to prevent trespassers. It also depends whether the five men were invited onto Jumbolair Estates and whether the owners knew they would drive on the runway.

"It's often about what did they know and when did they know it," Malavet said''

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080220/NEWS/802200340/-1/news24&template=artwithcomments

Toxicology Report: Driver had no alcohol in his system

BY AUSTIN L. MILLER
    STAR-BANNER

Published: Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 6:30 a.m.
    Lt. Beaver Twist, right, with the auxiliary of the Florida Highway Patrol, examined the remains of a burned BMW on Jan. 26 at an accident scene where five young men were killed on the Greystone airstrip in Anthony.

OCALA - The driver in a high-speed crash that claimed the lives of five young men at Greystone Airport did not have alcohol or drugs in his system, Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Mike Burroughs said Friday.

The toxicology results for all five men revealed that four of them had not been drinking. Lab results for the driver, Joshua D. Ammirato, 18, and three 19-year-old passengers, Jacob James Casey, James Devon Hime and Dustin J. Dawe, were all negative for alcohol and illegal drugs, Burroughs said.

The fifth crash victim, passenger Isaac Rubin, 20, had a blood alcohol content of .103. The tests found no illegal drugs in his system.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080322/NEWS/803220345/-1/xml

Lt Beaver Twist??? Woah that too is hella unfortunate

Do you even need alcohol to kill you when you're driving 160??
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

[quote author=Karalicious link=topic=12297.msg805370#msg805370 date=1207874317]
    [/quote]

True that. Although the jury is still out on the actual speed, as we know he illegally entered an airstrip to joyride. I guess the adrenaline and testosterone was all that was required.

[quote author=Karalicious link=topic=12297.msg805370#msg805370 date=1207874317]
    [/quote]

No, but he probably burned longer than the others.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=12297.msg805865#msg805865 date=1207894433]
    [/quote]

WOW, you're so funny, cool and shocking :2eyesbleed:

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=12297.msg805865#msg805865 date=1207894433]
    [/quote]

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080315/NEWS/803150345/1356/NEWS01&source=RSS

Family of driver killed in airport crash speaks
    Ammirato's relatives upset by media portrayal of son

By Anthony Violanti
    STAR-BANNER

Published: Saturday, March 15, 2008 at 6:30 a.m.
    Last Modified: Saturday, March 15, 2008 at 12:42 a.m.

OCALA - Valerie Ammirato remembers the last time she saw her son.
    ALAN YOUNGBLOOD/STAR-BANNER
    Valerie and Santo Ammirato, parents of Joshua Ammirato, talk about the way their son was portrayed by the media during an interview Friday. Joshua and four of his friends were killed in January in a crash at Greystone airstrip when he lost control of the car he was driving.
    Related Links:

It was a Friday night in January, and Joshua D. Ammirato, 18, was rushing out the front door.

"Mom," the always fashion-conscious Josh asked, "do my shoes match my pants?" She just smiled and nodded. "I had no idea what he was going to do, or where he was going. I thought he was just going to hang out with some friends."

Josh, who was home in Fairfield for a weekend break from the University of Central Florida, took the keys for his father's BMW.

"What parent wouldn't let their child borrow their car?" said Santo Ammirato, Josh's father. "All parents do it."

A few hours later, in the early morning hours of Jan. 26, Josh was dead, along with four of his friends.

He drove the BMW down a runway at Greystone Airport more than 120 mph, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. He lost control of the car and it sailed at least 200 feet in the air before crashing, killing everyone inside, including Jacob James Casey, 19; James Devon Hime, 19; Dustin J. Dawe,19; and Isaac Rubin, 20.

Seven weeks have passed since that fateful night. Now, for the first time, the Ammirato family is speaking to the media about the accident and what it has done to their family and their son's public image.

"I will not let the media turn this one mistake into the legacy of my brother's life," said Carrie Danks, Joshua's 28-year old sister. "He wasn't just a news story; he was a real person and loved by a real family. I miss Josh so much."

She has dedicated herself to changing traffic laws and educating teens on the dangers of speeding and racing.

"His death will not be in vain," Danks vowed during a telephone interview from South Plainfield, N.J., where she lives with her husband and two young children. "I am going to be his voice to change things." She said she has contacted Gov. Charlie Crist and community leaders here, by e-mail, to lobby for change in traffic laws.

"I want to see something positive come out of his death," added Valerie Ammirato. "I hope, if nothing else, it will make kids think before going out in a car and speeding. Something has to be done because too many kids are dying."

Santo and Valerie Ammirato live in Fairfield and have been married for 33 years. Josh was the youngest of their four children - Jason, 30; Carrie, 28; and Jessica, 26. The family, originally from Brooklyn, moved to Central Florida about a decade ago.

Both parents agreed to talk to the Star-Banner to try to present the human side of their son and his life. They also discussed some of the questions that linger in the community about the accident and its aftermath.

Some found it easy to condemn and blame Joshua for the accident and judge his 18 years on one night. Published reports indicated he was posting messages on the Internet, seeking advice on how to drive the car faster. He had been issued a number of speeding tickets. Some critics on Internet sites portrayed Josh in stereotypical fashion as a wealthy, careless boy, partying with buddies.

"That's not my brother," Danks said. "Josh was so much more than that; he had a gentle spirit. He was so caring and so loving."

Valerie Ammirato is upset over the media portrayal of her son. She said he was a competitive body builder who was obsessed with his health and didn't smoke or drink. She notes he graduated in the top 10 in his class last year at North Marion High School. He stood 5 feet 9 and weighed a rock solid 182 pounds. Joshua played on the varsity wrestling and golf teams.

Joshua possessed a mischievous smile, to go with a bubbling sense of humor and infectious laugh. He loved to imitate comic actor Jim Carrey, and also liked to sing along with country music, in addition to a fondness for the Temptations and Motown.

Still, "the public sees him as just the driver of the BMW," his mother said. "These were Josh's friends, he would never do anything to hurt them. I actually think when they all got into the car, they thought nothing would happen to them. They all made one tragic mistake.

"I don't know what was going on in Josh's mind that night. I don't know what was going in all their minds. But I want people to know that he's not just a driver, he's my son and he's a good person."

Samantha Hall, 16, had been going steady with Joshua for three years. She tells those angry at Joshua and determined to blame him: "You can't imagine what something like this does to your life. Try and think what it would be like if you lost somebody you loved. There shouldn't be anger at anyone. There's been enough hurt."

Hall said the last time she saw Josh was about a week before the accident. He was supposed to come over to her house on the day after the accident.

"Josh had a way of touching people with his smile, his laugh and his presence, and I won't ever forget him," Hall said. "I pray for Josh every night. I have bad days. I think of Josh and somehow there has to be a reason for all this. I don't understand it, but I really feel close to God."

Faith has also helped sustain Valerie and Santo Ammirato, who said they have been hurt by the public anger vented at Josh.

"I pray a lot for those people, and I pray they never are hurt the way we have been hurt," she said. "They don't understand how much it hurts, and they can't put themselves in our place."

She said her family is in constant contact with the Florida Highway Patrol, which is still investigating the accident and is awaiting a toxicology report. "They can't tell us anything until it is finished," Valerie said. "And we can't say anything about it."

Relationships with parents of the other boys in the car have changed. At least one parent has hired lawyers specializing in wrongful death suits. The Ammiratos would not say if they have hired an attorney.

"At first everyone was comforting each other," Valerie said. "We all lost our sons. There was a lot of hugging and understanding." When asked what the relationships are now, she responded by saying: "I don't want to get into that, but everyone forgets these kids were all friends. They lived as friends and they perished as friends and I think they will always be friends forever."

She is critical of the security at Greystone, part of the exclusive Jumbolair community. She said published reports indicated people living there heard noise and commotion on the night of the accident and other times.

"If someone heard something that night, I wish they would have called the police," Valerie said. "All of us would have been better getting our kids out of jail than burying them. They need more security there, and maybe they have it now, but it took the loss of five lives to make it better."

The passage of time has done little to ease the pain of losing Josh.

"There is no peace," Santo Ammirato said. "We cry every night. Every night is like the first night."

For his wife, one of the most difficult moments came shortly after the accident, when she placed a wooden cross on the site.

"My life is forever changed, my family is no longer intact," Valerie Ammirato said. But her son remains part of her life. "I talk to Josh a lot. In my heart and my mind, he will always be with me."
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

They should be upset by their sons portrayal of himself.

Thread Information