Thread: Wife remains in drum for 23 years

Wife remains in drum for 23 years

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23138094-5005962,00.html

A VICTORIAN man kept up a charade that his wife had run off with another man while keeping her remains in a drum in his backyard for 23 years, a court has been told.

Frederick William Boyle, 58, of Carrum Downs, appeared in the Victorian Supreme Court today accused of the murder of his wife Edwina Ruth Boyle in 1983.

The opening session of Mr Boyle's trial heard that on October 6, 1983, Mrs Boyle, then aged 30, disappeared from the home she shared with her husband and two young daughters, Careesa and Sharon.

Mr Boyle claimed she had run off with a truck driver named Ray, prosecutor Gavin Silbert, SC, told the court.

''(Boyle) carried on a charade that she left him for another man,'' Mr Silbert told the court.

"He put her body in a 44-gallon drum and kept it for (more than) 20 years,'' he said.

Mr Silbert said Mr Boyle made no attempt to report his wife missing, even informing her family in Britain in 1983 "not to be surprised if they did not hear from Edwina Boyle at Christmas time''.

Mr Boyle also collected his wife's wages from her place of employment and disposed of all her clothes.

On October 3, 2006, Mr Boyle's son-in-law was doing a clean-up of the family home in Denis Court, Carrum Downs, in Melbourne's southeast.

After having asked Mr Boyle for 14 years what was in the drum and been told it contained nothing but glue used for carpet laying, the son-in-law decided to cut it open, the court heard.

In the drum, he discovered women's clothes - including bras, underwear and a pair of yellow socks - along with a hessian bag.

At 8pm that day the son-in-law opened a green wheelie bin in the garage of the house and found the same hessian bag inside.

"There was an unpleasant smell coming from it,'' Mr Silbert said.

"He reached inside and felt a slimy substance,'' he said.

"He pulled out a leg bone.''

Mr Silbert said the remains, including a skull, were later identified as those of Edwina Boyle, and a post mortem showed she had died of a gunshot wound to the head.

Mr Boyle has pleaded not guilty to his wife's murder.

The trial before Justice John Forrest is continuing.

ick...23 years - you think even the neighbours would smell it eventually.

Re: Wife remains in drum for 23 years

Yuck, that made me want to    I can't imagine being the person to find the bones and slimy stuff.

If I opened a barrel and it stunk and there were women's clothes in it, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't reach in the bag...actually I am positive I wouldn't open the bag!

[quote author=brandoisgod link=topic=12386.msg715456#msg715456 date=1201797292]
    If I opened a barrel and it stunk and there were women's clothes in it, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't reach in the bag...actually I am positive I wouldn't open the bag!
    [/quote]

Damn straight.

I read a book recently where the chick put her mom in a large garbage can and put her in a Vegas storage room for years.  When she was found, she was about liquefied. The coroner said he'd never seen anything like that in his career. They basically had to pour her onto the autopsy table.

[quote author=BrandiYne link=topic=12386.msg715476#msg715476 date=1201797728]
    Damn straight.

I read a book recently where the chick put her mom in a large garbage can and put her in a Vegas storage room for years.  When she was found, she was about liquefied. The coroner said he'd never seen anything like that in his career. They basically had to pour her onto the autopsy table.
    [/quote]

What book was that?

'Witch' by Glenn Puit. 

This was from 2001 and this woman was something else. She reminds me of the Eileen Wournos woman.  Good read.

I don't get why a body would liquefy.  Bodies don't normally liquefy right?  Just decompose and turn to dust, etc. 

I have heard of a body liquefying before, I've heard it happens when kept in a humid, closed, damp location for a large length of time.

deliberate_misuse

[quote author=deathbecomesme link=topic=12386.msg718463#msg718463 date=1201995198]
    I don't get why a body would liquefy.  Bodies don't normally liquefy right?   Just decompose and turn to dust, etc. 
    [/quote]

Anaerobic bacteria. 

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=12386.msg718479#msg718479 date=1201995916]
    Anaerobic bacteria.   
    [/quote]
    yep, she was basically fermenting.  drink it and you can get drunk.  one hell of a hangover tho...

We can have a body drinking party?  :2smiley:

Didn't anyone ever question the husband, I mean she just ran off, never spoke to her friends or family again, and that was it?

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar

Eeewwww! Slimy stuff! Bleh. The old guy across the street from my sis died before she moved in and he basically melted into the bed. He was a hermit and had no family so no one noticed he was missing until it started to smell. No one wanted to go into the house and it took the city 2 months to finally come out. Bums had been squatting in the house too with the body.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Thread Information