Thread: National 9 News (Australia)- Cyberspace spawns a virtual graveyard

National 9 News (Australia)- Cyberspace spawns a virtual graveyard

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=281697

Somewhere deep in cyberspace, where reality blurs into fiction and the living greet the dead, there are ghosts.

They live in a virtual graveyard without tombstones or flowers. They drift among the shadows of the people they used to be, and the pieces they left behind.

Allison Bauer left rainbows: Reds, yellows and blues, festooned across her MySpace profile in a collage of colour. Before her corpse was pulled from the depths of an Oregon gorge on May 9, where police say she leapt to her death, she unwittingly wrote her own epitaph.

"I love colour, Pure Colour in rainbow form, And I love My friends," the 20-year-old wrote under "Interests" on her profile. "And I love to Love, I care about everyone so much you have no idea."

Now her page fills a plot on www.MyDeathSpace.com, a website that archives the pages of deceased MySpace members.

Behold a community spawned from twin American obsessions: Memorialising the dead and peering into strangers' lives. Anyone with internet access can submit a death to the site, which currently lists nearly 2,700 deaths and receives more than 100,000 hits per day.

PERTHNORG.COM NEWS
    http://perth.norg.com.au/2007/07/30/mydeathspace/

MyDeathSpace...
    Posted 179 days, 22 hours ago by AngelinaBallerina

Boringgggggggggggggggg.

Re: National 9 News (Australia)- Cyberspace spawns a virtual graveyard

Army Cpl Matthew Creed was killed in Baghdad on October 22. His MySpace profile keeps watch without him, counting down the time - days, hours, minutes - until he would've returned home.

His father, Rick, visits the page from time to time, but he was unaware that it had been archived on MyDeathSpace.

"What MyDeathSpace is doing seems respectful, though at this time I'm not sure what I think about it," he wrote in an email. What's most important, he believes, is that the link between his son and this world be preserved.

"We all say, you're never gone as long as you're remembered," Creed says. "And he's still remembered by everybody."
    At least they used an example which wasn't negative.

I wonder if we'll get any more Australian members now because of this article.

Re: National 9 News (Australia)- Cyberspace spawns a virtual graveyard

Haha *looks at date of news article* never mind..

Thread Information