Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Justin Campbell aka Shaky (25) committed suicide by setting himself on fire

Re: Justin Campbell aka Shaky (25) committed suicide by setting himself on fire

[quote author=candycandycandy link=topic=12000.msg695826#msg695826 date=1200362663]
    You must be pretty fucked up and depressed to even consider setting yourself on fire. Hanging or pill overdose would be much more easier and pain free.
    [/quote]

Self-immolation, while tolerated by Buddhism and Hinduism, was practiced by religious and/or philosophical monks, especially in India for Sati, throughout the ages, for various reasons, including political protest, devotion, renouncement, etc.. Certain warrior cultures also practiced it, such as in the case of Charans and Rajputs.

During the Great Schism of the Russian Church, entire villages of Old Believers burned themselves to death in an act known as "fire baptism". Scattered instances of self-immolation have also been recorded by the Jesuit priests of France in the early 1600s. Their practice of this was not intended to be fatal, though. They would burn certain parts of their bodies (limbs such as the forearm, the thigh) to signify the pain Jesus endured while upon the crucifix.

A number of Buddhist monks (including ThĂ*ch Quảng Đức) self-immolated in protest of the discriminatory treatment endured by Buddhists under the authoritarian administration of President NgĂ´ Đình Diệm in South Vietnam — even though violence against oneself is prohibited by most interpretations of Buddhist doctrine.

On November 2, 1965, Norman Morrison used kerosene to burn himself to death outside The Pentagon as a protest against the Vietnam War. Roger Allen LaPorte did so one week later outside the United Nations headquarters.

Jan Palach was a Czech student who committed suicide by self-immolation as a political protest against the Soviet-led invasion of Czechoslovakia in August 1968.

Sándor Bauer was a Hungarian student who committed suicide by self-immolation in front of the National Museum in Budapest as a political protest against the Communist Regime in January 1969.

Márton Moyses was a Hungarian poet who committed suicide by self-immolation in front of the Hall of Romanian Communist Party in Brasov as a political protest against the dictatorship in February 1970.

In 2001 a group of people self-immolated in Tiananmen Square, Beijing, China. Communist party broadcast the event nationally on Chinese new year and claimed the immolators were practitioners of the Chinese spiritual movement Falun Gong. The Tiananmen Square self-immolation incident has since been heavily debated internationally, as Falun Gong supporters claimed it was a setup by the Chinese government as part of the ongoing crackdown on the movement.

Malachi Ritscher was a Chicago musician and anti-war protestor who committed suicide by self-immolation as a political protest against the War in Iraq.

In 2007, it was revealed that more Kurdish women were attempting self-immolation.

http://www.reference.com/search?q=self-immolation

mydeathspace

A few hatemail messages have come in from Shaky's friends. Apparently hey haven't read this thread.... where NOTHING bad is said about him.

I never read this thread before. I want to hug this dude. He seems awesome.  :-(
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

Good Lord, how horrific.    I hope it's easier for his friends and family, knowing that he's at peace now.  Ugh.    Poor guy.

RIP Justin

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=12000.msg690316#msg690316 date=1199994963]
    It's nice that his friends changed his myspace  status to "Shaky is the nicest person you could ever know.' It's too bad he couldn't recognize the good qualities in himself that other people obviously saw.
    [/quote]

Whats funny is you never see friends changing myspace pages to " He was the biggest dick I have ever known." why is that??
    "It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not."

[quote author=jkee26 link=topic=12000.msg727841#msg727841 date=1202875897]

Whats funny is you never see friends changing myspace pages to " He was the biggest dick I have ever known." why is that??
    [/quote]

Because friends generally like each other. 

[quote author=red01angel link=topic=12000.msg727844#msg727844 date=1202876005]
    Because friends generally like each other. 
    [/quote]

Touche 
    "It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not."

[quote author=DavidBlainesEvilTwin link=topic=12000.msg695723#msg695723 date=1200357863]
    This is big time hardcore...I have no shame in admitting I would not have the balls to go out like that. If I ever off myself it's gonna be something quick and painless. Shotgun barrel between the eyes and boom
    [/quote]

Oh hell naw, dude. In the mouth only!

Just to reiterate a comment made by a few people, the ones who are truly amazing people, never seem to realise it. He seemed like an intelligent, caring guy who had alot of friends, it's just such a shame he couldn't let go of his demons. It's so sad to read that all he wanted was to be held and loved like he loved others.

"having so much passion and love inside to give but its not being recieved because there's so many other things trying to destroy it... i fear that it isn't being seen at all."

I hope he's found peace, he sounds like the type who would be watching over all those people he loved, because he cared TOO much. And I really hope his friends get the chance to come here and read this thread because although we didn't know him, we can see what a good person he was and that comes through from his life and writing.. He's one of those rare ones here on MDS. R.I.P Shaky.

i wonder if his ex-gf has a myspace.
    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

I had  known justin very well since late 1999. unfortunately in high school he came in contact with some very bad people that moved from texas to indiana and had introduced him into the hard core drug world of crystal meth that led to other sick and twisted group thinking. If he had never met these people, I firmly believe he would still be alive today....yes even then he had many issues but these people were only interested in party party party with lots of sick and twisted behaviors and still are today, in fact the night of his memorium they threw a drinkin and drugging party in his name how sick is that. poor justin. These are the people who named him "shaky" thats the affect the drugs had on him....justin had many friends that could not get thru to him till too late his brain already too damaged by the effects of drug and alcohol abuse long before help was offered, unfortunately the leader of all this was a parent he who supplied the home for the parties, the drugs, the alcohol, rides, and joined in. what a sick world, no wonder justin was lost....Im sorry Justin I was of no help... I had to save myself and looking back now, wished i would have known to at least offer my hand back to you and ask if you wanted an escape too. RIP You were weak of mind justin..I pray the lord has your soul....I remember our talks im sorry you were so sad...and  lonely 

[quote author=sadfacts link=topic=12000.msg1192764#msg1192764 date=1235250136]
    I had  known justin very well since late 1999. unfortunately in high school he came in contact with some very bad people that moved from texas to indiana and had introduced him into the hard core drug world of crystal meth that led to other sick and twisted group thinking. If he had never met these people, I firmly believe he would still be alive today....yes even then he had many issues but these people were only interested in party party party with lots of sick and twisted behaviors and still are today, in fact the night of his memorium they threw a drinkin and drugging party in his name how sick is that. poor justin. These are the people who named him "shaky" thats the affect the drugs had on him....justin had many friends that could not get thru to him till too late his brain already too damaged by the effects of drug and alcohol abuse long before help was offered, unfortunately the leader of all this was a parent he who supplied the home for the parties, the drugs, the alcohol, rides, and joined in. what a sick world, no wonder justin was lost....Im sorry Justin I was of no help... I had to save myself and looking back now, wished i would have known to at least offer my hand back to you and ask if you wanted an escape too. RIP You were weak of mind justin..I pray the lord has your soul....I remember our talks im sorry you were so sad...and  lonely 
    [/quote][quote author=Natasha_XO link=topic=12000.msg690552#msg690552 date=1200005683]
    :(
    [/quote]

[quote author=andyniz link=topic=12000.msg690439#msg690439 date=1200000686]
    He was obviously very troubled.  I hate to sound callous, but he lived in a duplex with a tenant on the other side of him who was home at the time.  I guess he was too distraught to consider the fact that he was endangering the lives of others by starting the fire.

http://wibc.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=82326

Obit:
    Justin Kenneth Campbell Brownsburg, died Mon. Jan. 7, 2008 at the age of 25. He was born Feb. 8, 1982, in Atlanta, GA. Justin had been a resident of Indiana for 10 years. He graduated from Westfield High School in 2000 and attended IUPUI and Herron Art School for one year. Justin worked at Genco Distributing. He was a member of the former band Lak-O-Talent. He was a very talented artist and performer and had a great compassion for helpless animals. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the Indianapolis Humane Society in his name. Survivors include mother Susan Campbell Gill, Brownsburg; father Charles Thomas Campbell, Pensacola, FL; stepfather Christopher Gill, Brownsburg; grandparents Sarah and Robert Doner, Pensacola, FL; stepsister Emily M. Gill, Brownsburg; stepbrother Daniel C. Gill, Terre Haute; aunt Andrea F. McAnulty, Gainesville, GA; cousin Christin A. Ayers, Gainesville, GA; and many good friends. Memorial services will be 4 pm Sat., Jan. 12, 2008 at Matthews Mortuary, Brownsburg.

RIP Justin

[/quote]

Wow, that whole thing about the animals made me like him that much more...

Sorry things weren't better, Shaky.  Look out for the animals while you are up there... Rest in Peace.

Thread Information