Thread: MomLogic.com - Lessons for Moms from MyDeathSpace.com 11/13/07

mydeathspace

MomLogic.com - Lessons for Moms from MyDeathSpace.com 11/13/07

http://www.momlogic.com/2007/11/what_moms_can_learn_from_mydea.php

[size=20pt]Lessons for Moms from MyDeathSpace.com[/size]
    From: MomLogic.com (for thinking moms who don't have time to think)

Buried underneath the site's creepy exterior is information every Mom needs to know.

MyDeathSpace.com is a Web site that pays homage to young adults who have recently died by linking to their MySpace pages. Teens and tweens come to the site for possibly macabre reasons—the same ones that drove some of us to watch Faces of Death in high school, perhaps.

But it gives Moms a heads-up about the dangers besides drinking and driving and suicide that are killing young people today, like the choking game, ATV accidents, and falling asleep behind the wheel. And for teens mature enough to handle it, "This Web site can be used as a wake-up call," says family psychologist and friend of Mom•Logic Rosanne Tobey. It's definitive proof that teenagers are not invincible.

"Look at the site together, and ask them what they think. What do they think caused this death? Why do they think this happened? How do they feel they are different from this person, and why wouldn't it happen to them? Use their answers as a guide to understand what issues you need to address with them, or what mistaken beliefs on the part of your child need to be challenged."

However, Tobey warns if your kid is spending a lot of time on MyDeathSpace.com, there might be a problem. "Obsession with death can sometimes be an indication of suicide ideation," she says. "Spending an inordinate amount of time on this site might be an indicator that something deeper is going on. If your child is also showing signs of depression or struggling with a problem they feel is significant in their life, it may be time to see a counselor."

Re: MomLogic.com - "Lessons for Moms from MyDeathSpace.com" 11/13/07

Reminds me of when my mom made me get the National enquirer with River Phoenix dead on the cover and was like "THIS IS WHAT DRUGS DO."

I still did 'em, though.

Olivia

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=11991.msg689064#msg689064 date=1199917077]
    http://www.momlogic.com/2007/11/what_moms_can_learn_from_mydea.php

However, Tobey warns if your kid is spending a lot of time on MyDeathSpace.com, there might be a problem.
    [/quote]

That was my fave bit.  :lol:

Re: MomLogic.com - Lessons for Moms from MyDeathSpace.com 11/13/07

WHOA, a positive article lol
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=11991.msg689064#msg689064 date=1199917077]
    However, Tobey warns if your kid is spending a lot of time on MyDeathSpace.com, there might be a problem. "Obsession with death can sometimes be an indication of suicide ideation," she says. "Spending an inordinate amount of time on this site might be an indicator that something deeper is going on. If your child is also showing signs of depression or struggling with a problem they feel is significant in their life, it may be time to see a counselor."
    [/quote]

Aww, crap.

Mom, if you read this - I am not depressed, suicidal or in need of a counselor. I just have no life and a slight MDS addiction.
    With all this talk of thinking outside the box, I am beginning to wonder what's left inside the box. -Me

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=11991.msg689069#msg689069 date=1199917201]
    That was my fave bit.  :lol:
    [/quote]

Seriously. Like all we talk about is death and destruction and mayhem here.
    Umm, see board stats:

General Off Topic 146300
    Jibber Jabber 125791

Article Discussion 104260
    NSFW 80385
    Members Board 27672
    MyDeathSpace.com 23496
    Movies, Music and TV 21069
    Removed Topics 19863
    Non MDS Deaths 17804
    Weird and Bizarre

:lol:
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

Great article.  Some of us have been saying this all along. 

At least the article didn't say the kid should worry if his mom spent too much time on MDS.  :lol:

teens and tweens aren't the only ones on here

and i don't really believe that this site is all about death, suicide and destruction. there are plenty of positive attributes about this site, it is very informative.

isn't death a part of life anyway? whatever.

all i know about suicide is if you are going to do it, you get it done without making a big production about it. then your family has to pray that your soul didn't go into the pit of eternally burning fire. suicide is a cop out from life. it's the weakest state of mind you can be in. don't give in!

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=11991.msg689066#msg689066 date=1199917158]
    Reminds me of when my mom made me get the National enquirer with River Phoenix dead on the cover and was like "THIS IS WHAT DRUGS DO."

I still did 'em, though.
    [/quote]

My kids watch intervention with me, they watch in absolute horror.  I hope it sticks with them.

And that was a pretty good article, I liked it.

ETA I didn't realize this was such an old thread  :lol: :oops:

[quote author=FemmeFatality link=topic=11991.msg689437#msg689437 date=1199935612]
    Great article.  Some of us have been saying this all along.   

At least the article didn't say the kid should worry if his mom spent too much time on MDS.  :lol:
    [/quote]  Holy crap little bit of pee came out on that one :2smiley: Just proves I am a mommy to many!!
    My womb is empty, violently ripped apart as my last chance dreams were destroyed.&nbsp; I will never have what I want but I won&#39;t settle either.<br />RIP My Hubby 7/25/99 our babies 6/26/09 (thru recovered ICSI/IVF)

Thread Information