Thread: 1984 slaying of teen remains unsolved mystery

mydeathspace

1984 slaying of teen remains unsolved mystery

This is the first time I've ever heard about this case. I went to this highschool and never heard anything about the murder.

See if you can find the double negative from the article. heh.

[hr]
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_7902202?nclick_check=1
    [size=15pt]1984 slaying of teen remains unsolved mystery[/size]

PLEASANTON: Police have reopened case five times in recent years but have no firm leads

Shirley Orosco's life is finally in order. She was married in December 2006. She turned 60 just a few days ago. Her son, Drew, is now 32 years old.

But one question lingers: Who killed her 14-year-old daughter, Tina, 23 years ago?

Orosco, who until 2006 went by Shirley Faelz, hopes that someone may now be willing to come forward with information about her daughter's death.

"She's still in my heart," she said. "I still think something is going to come about."

Tina Faelz, then a freshman at Foothill High School, was last seen alive around 2:25 p.m. on April 5, 1984. She was walking home from school and decided to take a route that led underneath Interstate 680 through a dark drainage culvert.

Less than an hour after she walked into the culvert, other students found her body on the other side of the freeway. She had been stabbed about 15 times in her back, face and side, police detectives said.

"It was a very thorough investigation," said Pleasanton police Lt. Darrin Davis, who took part in the investigation several months after the murder. "The case file is several inches thick. All of her friends and associates were interviewed."

A $25,000 reward was offered but led nowhere. DNA evidence was recovered but testing did not exist at the time. There were no fingerprints, police said at the time.

The girl's mother told authorities that a day before she was killed, Tina came home much later than usual and had asked to take karate lessons. That tip didn't lead police nowhere.

In the 1980s and '90s, police investigated two convicted killers to determine if either killed Tina. She was the second of four young girls -- along with Kellie Poppleton, 14, of Fremont, Lisa Monzo, 18, of San Lorenzo and Julie Connell, 18, of San Leandro -- murdered within several months of one another.

In 1994, DNA samples led authorities to charge Michael Ihde, 35, with Monzo's murder. In 1997, he was convicted of Monzo's murder and sentenced to die. At the time, Ihde was serving a life sentence in a Washington state prison for killing another woman.

Ihde was named as a suspect in the Faelz case at the time and has not been eliminated from the list of persons of interest, Davis said.

"But we have no information linking him to the homicide," Davis said.

In 1999, police investigated any possible connection between Tina's murder and James Anthony Daveggio, who in 1997, along with his girlfriend, Michelle Michaud, kidnapped, sexually assaulted and murdered Vanessa Lei Samson, 22, of Pleasanton.

"We held meetings with the FBI and there must have been 40 or 50 agencies there sharing information," Davis said.

However, no firm connection to the Faelz murder could be found.

Davis said there are several persons of interests, including "convicted killers," as well as several others that have never been made public.

The murder investigation is now inactive, but has been reopened five times in recent years, he said. Most recently, several DNA tests were run in 2007, but the results were inconclusive.

Detectives have traveled to other states several times to interview people, Davis said.

Orosco described her daughter as independent and mature for her age, a young woman who enjoyed playing soccer, baby-sitting and riding her bike.

"I've gone through a lot," she said. "My life is now very fulfilled."

She said she doesn't think about the killer often, but still wants him or her to be held accountable, and to ask the person, "Why?"

Tina's brother, Drew Faelz, lives in Sacramento. He is married and has two children of his own: Benjamin, 3, and 10-month-old Chloe Marie. His daughter has the same middle name -- Marie -- as Tina.

"She was my big sister -- someone I really looked up to," he said.

He was 8 years old at the time of the murder, and said he is still looking forward to some closure.

"Somebody out there must know what happened," he said.

Re: 1984 slaying of teen remains unsolved mystery

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=11923.msg685858#msg685858 date=1199737763]
    This is the first time I've ever heard about this case. I went to this highschool and never heard anything about the murder.
    [/quote]

Were you even born yet in 84?

mydeathspace

[quote author=Morbid Curiosity link=topic=11923.msg685868#msg685868 date=1199738095]
    [/quote]

I was 3.

[quote author=Morbid Curiosity link=topic=11923.msg685868#msg685868 date=1199738095]
    [/quote] :lol: I was in 11th grade that year

That tip didn't lead police nowhere.  Awesome.

Interesting case. I swear I've come across this case before, but the name was mispelled as "Fails".
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

Thread Information