Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BBC children's presenter quizzed over death of his fiancee,then killed himself

BBC children's presenter quizzed over death of his fiancee,then killed himself

Last Updated: Friday, 4 January 2008, 15:08 GMT 

CBBC star 'distraught' over death 

Mark Speight has also appeared on CBeebies' Smarteenies
    BBC children's presenter Mark Speight, who was quizzed by police over the death of his fiancee, is said to be "absolutely distraught" by his loss.
    But he has denied having anything to do with Natasha Collins' death, according to a statement released on his behalf.

Mr Speight was arrested on Thursday after finding the 31-year-old actress dead in the couple's London flat.

He has been bailed until the first week of February on suspicion of murder and supplying cocaine.

"Mark has been questioned by the police on account of the fact that the body of his fiancee was found in the flat they shared," the statement reads.

At the moment no one knows what happened

Mark Speight statement

"At the moment no one knows what happened. Mark found her body in the bathroom and immediately called an ambulance and the police.

"Mark was the only other person present in the flat and has therefore been questioned by police as a matter of course."

A post mortem examination will be carried out later, but the death is being treated as "unexplained", a police spokesman said.

'Devastated'

Ms Collins, 31, was pronounced dead at the scene
    Mr Speight, who was born and raised in Wolverhampton, is best known for CBBC programme SMart, which he has hosted since 1995.

The BBC has cancelled Saturday morning's repeat edition on the CBBC channel.

The presenter has also appeared on the BBC's religious show Heaven and Earth and ITV1's This Morning.

He worked with Ms Collins, 31, on the BBC children's series See It Saw It.

The actress and model was represented by the HandE casting agency, which has paid tribute to her in a statement.

"We are shocked and devastated that Natasha has passed away and we offer our support and condolences to her family and friends," it said.

"She was a wonderful, confident young lady and her beauty was inside and out."

I guess a few people from the uk will know this guy, he was on kids tv when  i was young,and still is. Seems maybe drugs had something to do with it. Is it me or does cocaine really seem big on the cbbc/kids tv circuit. Must be all them long hours spent being happy...

Re: BBC children's presenter quizzed by police over the death of his fiancee

I saw this on the lunch time news earlier and the police have dropped the murder charges.  They say that they will need to speak to mark further though as they are still unsure of how Natasha died.  I can't find an article saying this though.

ETA:  Still looking for an article but here is Mark's statement

Mark Speight: Statement in full
    BBC children's TV presenter Mark Speight has been arrested following the sudden death of his fiancee, Natasha Collins, at their flat in London.

Here is the full statement released on his behalf:

"Mark has been questioned by the police on account of the fact that the body of his fiancee, Natasha Collins, was found in the flat they shared.

"At the moment no-one knows what happened. Mark found her body in the bathroom and immediately called an ambulance and the police.

"The police are conducting further enquiries and a post-mortem is under way.

"Mark was the only other person present in the flat and has therefore been questioned by police as a matter of course.

"He is assisting police with their enquiries and had nothing to do with Natasha's death.

"Mark is absolutely distraught at the loss of Natasha and hopes that everyone will appreciate what a very sad time this is for both Mark and Natasha's family.

"Mark hopes that you will afford them privacy to mourn their tragic loss."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7171732.stm

Seems they where pretty much in love. Are they holding up the drugs charges? Maybe she OD'd and he put her in the bath tub to bring her round? If he got caught with drugs then i guess he's pretty much finished if he was involved or not.

She's not really been in very much http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0172565/

He always reminded me a bit of Johnny Bravo... i'm not quite sure why.

They have called off tomorrows  smART  :-(

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=11877.msg681705#msg681705 date=1199468017]
    Seems they where pretty much in love. Are they holding up the drugs charges? Maybe she OD'd and he put her in the bath tub to bring her round? If he got caught with drugs then i guess he's pretty much finished if he was involved or not.

She's not really been in very much http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0172565/

He always reminded me a bit of Johnny Bravo... i'm not quite sure why.

They have called off tomorrows  smART  :-(
    [/quote]

I can't find an article anywhere saying about the murder charges being dropped. The phrase used was that he had been "de-arrested" which seems a bizarre thing to say.  I read an article earlier which says that the police are considering that it was an OD and that Mark found her unresponsive in the bath and dialled 999.

Just found this;

TV host arrested after fiancee's 'cocaine' death
    Last Updated: 2:56pm GMT 04/01/2008

Mark Speight, one of the BBC's most popular children's TV presenters, has been arrested after his fiancee was found dead in a bath at the couple's penthouse flat.

Natasha Collins, 31, a model and former children's television star, is believed to have died after taking cocaine.

Mr Speight, who dialled 999 to report Miss Collins's death on Thursday, was held initially on suspicion of murder and of supplying a class A drug and was later released on bail after being questioned at a central London police station.

Police sources said no post mortem examination had yet been carried out on Miss Collins, whose death was being treated as "unexplained", but detectives have all but ruled out foul play and are investigating whether Mr Speight supplied drugs to Miss Collins which may have caused or contributed to her death.

Mr Speight, 42, the star of BBC1's long-running SMart show, issued a statement saying he was "absolutely distraught" and had "nothing to do with Natasha's death".

A friend of Miss Collins's family said at her mother Carmen's home in Wood Green, North London: "It is just a tragic accident which the family are trying to come to terms with.

"She was a lovely girl, very beautiful, and we are all devastated."

Mr Speight and Miss Collins met when they co-starred in the BBC children's game show See It, Saw It in 1999, and had been together for more than five years.

A statement issued by his solicitor Nabeel Sheikh said: "Mark has been questioned by the police on account of the fact that the body of his fiancee, Natasha Collins, was found in the flat they shared.

"At the moment no-one knows what happened. Mark found her body in the bathroom and immediately called an ambulance and the police.

"Mark was the only other person present in the flat and has therefore been questioned by police as a matter of course.

"He is assisting police with their enquiries and had nothing to do with Natasha's death.

"Mark is absolutely distraught at the loss of Natasha and hopes that everyone will appreciate what a very sad time this is for both Mark and Natasha's family.

"Mark hopes that you will afford them privacy to mourn their tragic loss."

The BBC has cancelled tomorrow's 10am showing of SMart - which was a repeat - and is yet to decide whether to screen next week's episodes.

A new series of the show is currently scheduled for later this year.

Mr Speight's mother Jackie, speaking at her home in Wolverhampton, said: "I'm in absolute shock. I was only with them at Christmas, I really can't believe it.

"They both seemed fine and very happy and we had a lovely time.

"Then they went away and I haven't seen them since then. I really can't take this all in."

Last month Mr Speight played Buttons in Cinderella at the Watersmeet Theatre in Rickmansworth, Herts., where Natasha helped out by selling pantomime merchandise.

Clive Doig, who produced See It, Saw It, said: "This is a terrible tragedy. Natasha was a very talented young actress who was extremely popular with the children when we were filming the show.

"She was personable, vivacious, professional, easy to work with and very popular with everyone."

Miss Collins had been trying to break into adult acting roles, and had minor parts in the children's BBC series The 10th Kingdom and ITV's Real Women before her career was cut short when she was knocked down by a car seven years ago and was seriously injured.

The accident left her prone to serious seizures and fits, but she took on regular modelling and advertising jobs.

Renata Bailey, a neighbour of the couple in St John's Wood, North London, said: "It is unbelievable because she was so young - what a tragic thing to happen.

"They were a lovely couple, very sociable and Mark would always say hello."

Sandra Polasek, a 32-year-old beauty therapist, said police arrived at around 1.30pm on Thursday, shortly before she left for work.

"There were about three cars with their sirens going and six policemen rushed up to the penthouse," she said.

"Then I saw a stretcher being carried though the front gates and that was when I knew it was something serious."

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "Police were called at 1.20pm on January 3 to reports of a sudden death.

"The woman, aged in her 30s, was pronounced dead at the scene. A man in his 40s was arrested at the scene.

"He has been bailed to return to a central London police station on a date in February."

Mr Speight, a qualified graphic designer, is a former pupil of the £9,000-a-year Tettenhall College in the West Midlands.

His father Oliver, a property developer who tried unsuccessfully to buy the Silverstone racing circuit last year, later sent him to a comprehensive school because Mr Speight spent too much time "goofing around".

He broke into children's TV after working as a set designer, and starred in ITV's Scratchy & Co before landing his job on SMart in 1995.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...speight404.xml

It seems they have let him go and he has to return to give statements the first week in Feb. Little strange? They must really think he had nothing to do with it.

They expect pm results on Monday.

From your post-

Miss Collins had been trying to break into adult acting roles, and had minor parts in the children's BBC series The 10th Kingdom and ITV's Real Women before her career was cut short when she was knocked down by a car seven years ago and was seriously injured.

The accident left her prone to serious seizures and fits, but she took on regular modelling and advertising jobs.

If she was prone to seizures why on earth would she ever think of taking coke? Silly.

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=11877.msg681724#msg681724 date=1199468714]
    It seems they have let him go and he has to return to give statements the first week in Feb. Little strange? They must really think he had nothing to do with it.

They expect pm results on Monday.

From your post-

If she was prone to seizures why on earth would she ever think of taking coke? Silly.
    [/quote]

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that article.

It does seem weird the way the police are handling this.  I've never heard them use the term "de-arrested" before.  Why not "released without charge"?  Plus they still seem to be investigating him for suppling drugs so how does that work when you are de-arrested?

Maybe they have found a note? He gave her the drugs but didn't think she would OD herself, maybe on purpose.

Nah i think i am just getting silly and far fetched now. Just seems they know more than they are letting on. If they really thought he done it, he'd be in for questioning now. :roll:

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=11877.msg681868#msg681868 date=1199474887]
    Maybe they have found a note? He gave her the drugs but didn't think she would OD herself, maybe on purpose.

Nah i think i am just getting silly and far fetched now. Just seems they know more than they are letting on. If they really thought he done it, he'd be in for questioning now. :roll:
    [/quote]

They were pretty quick to let him go and they made a comment that they were fairly sure he didn't murder her.  Maybe they aren't releasing all of the information. 

People on the Points of View message board (yes I am that sad!) are calling for him to be sacked.  A lot of the messages were being deleted as the mods were worried about where they stood legally with speculation and they were advising people not to jump to conclusions.

It's weird when you see someone that you've known from tv for years, have something like this happen and you realise how different the real person probably is to their tv persona.  Kids tv presenters especially.

Senior Member little devotional's Avatar

Yeah totally!He's been on the telly for years!He's a cracking artist and all!What else they saying on that Points of View board?

[quote author=little devotional link=topic=11877.msg682382#msg682382 date=1199498133]
    Yeah totally!He's been on the telly for years!He's a cracking artist and all!What else they saying on that Points of View board?
    [/quote]

They mainly kept comparing him to Richard Bacon and saying that he deserves the same treatment that he got.  They are trying to steer people away from discussing the murder allegations as they are concerned that they will get into trouble for interfering in a police investigation.  So everyone was discussing the drug allegations.

They are saying the same things said about Richard Bacon - children's tv presenters should not be seen to be drug users and once it becomes public the Beeb should immediately sack them.  I can see their point but wasn't Richard Bacon photographed snorting lines of coke or something?  Very un-Blue Peter!

Last Updated: Saturday, 5 January 2008, 10:42 GMT
    'Drug mix-up' theory for TV death

The actress whose body was found in the home she shared with a CBBC host may have taken the wrong medication before she died, her fiance's mother has said.

After Natasha Collins' death in London, her partner Mark Speight was arrested on suspicion of murder and supplying cocaine, which he vehemently denied.

But he would never have "harmed Tash", Mr Speight's mother Jacqueline said.

A mix-up with drugs prescribed for a medical condition may have led to the 31-year-old's death, she added.

Talking to reporters outside her home in Wolverhampton, Mrs Speight said the couple had been together "for quite a while".

"As far as I know, everything was OK between them," she said.

There is no way on earth that Mark would do anything to harm Tash
    Mark Speight's mother Jacqueline

Asked for her reaction to the tragedy, she replied: "I'm in absolute shock. I was only with them at Christmas. They both seemed fine and very happy."

She added: "There is no way on earth that Mark would do anything to harm Tash."

Mr Speight is known as one of the faces of BBC children's TV, particularly the SMart programme, which he has presented since 1995.

He had worked with Ms Collins, who was also a model, on children's series See It Saw It.

Mark Speight has also appeared on CBeebies' Smarteenies

She was planning to set up her own production company with compensation she received after a car accident seven years ago.

On Friday a statement was issued on behalf of Ms Collins' mother, whose first name was not given.

"We are all absolutely distraught over the death of Natasha," it read. "She was our loving, caring daughter who was always full of life.

"This is a very emotional time for us as a family. We ask simply to be allowed to grieve."

A spokeswoman for Mr Speight said the presenter had found Ms Collins' body in the bathroom of their home in St John's Wood "and immediately called an ambulance and the police".

"He is assisting police with their enquiries and had nothing to do with Natasha's death," she said, before adding: "Mark is absolutely distraught."

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said a suspected drug overdose was one line of inquiry which was being considered.

Further details of the circumstances leading up to Ms Collins' death are unlikely to emerge before a post-mortem is conducted, and this is expected to be on Monday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7172765.stm

I remember this guy!
    He used to always make really stupid annoying facial expressions that pissed me off immensely.

I don't think he had anything to do with her death though.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

[quote author=Tarren link=topic=11877.msg682989#msg682989 date=1199541039]
    I remember this guy!
    He used to always make really stupid annoying facial expressions that pissed me off immensely.

I don't think he had anything to do with her death though.
    [/quote]

He still does make annoying facial expressions.  Why do children's tv presenters always do that?  Is it a job requirement?

[quote author=leapfreak link=topic=11877.msg682991#msg682991 date=1199541155]
    He still does make annoying facial expressions.  Why do children's tv presenters always do that?  Is it a job requirement?
    [/quote]
    I expect so,unfortuanately.They feel the need to be zany-bastards.Fookin infuriatin if you ask me.

Zany and coke filled, long hours running around like a loon all day, painting for small children.

"Finger paintin's coool"

As for him getting the same treatment as Richard Bacon, it's was only a few days i heard him doing a BBC show, it didn't really harm his earnings.

Infact he done more after being caught snorting coke than before!
    His IMDB- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0045820/

Of course this is totally different, but i do think he had no more to do with her death than giving her the drugs, in his £635,000 penthouse.... kids tv really does pay!

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=11877.msg683204#msg683204 date=1199551059]
    Zany and coke filled, long hours running around like a loon all day, painting for small children.

"Finger paintin's coool"

[/quote]

:lol:

Fiancee death presenter missing

TV presenter Mark Speight, whose fiancee died in the bath after taking drugs, has been reported missing.

He found Natasha Collins, 31, dead at their flat in St John's Wood, north-west London, on 3 January.

Mr Speight, who fronted BBC children's show SMart, was arrested on suspicion of murder and supplying Class A drugs but no charges were brought.

The 45-year-old was last seen when he was dropped off at Wood Green station, north London, on Monday morning.

Last week a coroner recorded a verdict of death by misadventure into the death of TV actress Miss Collins.

During her inquest Mr Speight said the couple had been "partying" at home on their own and had taken cocaine and sleeping pills as well as drinking wine and vodka.

The court heard that Miss Collins had burns all over her body and face, including her tongue.

Coroner Paul Knapman said the evidence pointed to her having collapsed into the bath and it was likely she had some heart problem that caused her to lose consciousness.

Natasha Collins suffered 60% burns to her body

The cause of death was given as cocaine toxicity and immersion in hot water.

Mr Speight, who is originally from Wolverhampton, was told last month that he would not face any charges over the death.

In February he announced he was quitting the programme SMart as his "tragic loss" had left him unable to continue.

He had been living in Norfolk Avenue, Enfield, north London, until his disappearance on Monday.

Police said family and friends raised the alarm after he failed to turn up for a meeting with a friend in Covent Garden at 1530 BST.

Mr Speight, who is 6ft, was last seen wearing a brown suit jacket with dark jeans and a brown flat cap.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7335912.stm

I really really hope he's just gone off for a bit of a break and that it's not as ominous as it sounds :|

Family are saying its out of character and that he is "very vulnerable at the moment." The police can't trace his phone either.
    :|

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=11877.msg801720#msg801720 date=1207676264]
    Family are saying its out of character and that he is "very vulnerable at the moment." The police can't trace his phone either.
    :|
    [/quote]

His mother was saying that she spoke to him yesterday lunchtime and he sounded fine.  She said he was acting normally and hadn't seemed depressed. Apparently he's been living with Natasha's mum because he can't stand going back to his flat.  She says he was depressed and that she could often hear him sobbing in the night.  :|

How did she get the burns??
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

I think they said she passed out or had a fit in bath with the hot tap still running.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7337977.stm

Police spoke to missing presenter 

Mark Speight was caught on CCTV at Queens Park station

Family appeal 
    Police officers spoke to TV presenter Mark Speight hours before he was reported missing and said he appeared "distracted and deep in thought".

Speight, 42, refused all offers of help before saying he "needed to leave" when he was approached in Chamberlayne Road, north-west London, on Monday.

Police have now released CCTV images of Speight boarding a southbound Bakerloo line Tube from Queens Park station.

Later that day he was reported missing by concerned family and friends.

They said Speight was in a "fragile state of mind" following the death of his fiancee Natasha Collins three months ago.

Miss Collins, 31, was found dead in the bath at their north London home after both had taken cocaine and sleeping pills.

Detective Inspector Declan Williams, who's leading the search, told BBC NEWS 24 the pictures had helped them identify where Mr Speight had been.

"We now know that he was seen getting onto the tube at Queen's Park station on Monday.

"We know that previously he used his cashpoint card just near Queen's park tube station and took out fifty pounds.

"Shortly after that he went into the station at about twenty past one and after that he went off and got onto a train at about ten to three."

Speight, who has been staying with Miss Collins' mother since the death, was reported missing when he failed to meet her for coffee in Covent Garden at 1530 BST on Monday.

Mark Speight was last seen on Monday 

Police officers had spoken to Speight as he walked in Kensal Rise at about 1315 BST the same day.

Scotland Yard said he was given the opportunity to see a doctor, go to hospital or speak to an officer privately but he declined.

Officers said Speight had withdrawn money from a cash machine on Salisbury Road just before 1430 BST on Monday.

He then entered Queens Park station and at 1447 BST boarded the Tube bound for Paddington.

Speight was reported missing six days after an inquest into the death of TV actress Miss Collins.

Originally he was arrested on suspicion of murder and supplying Class A drugs but no charges were brought.

In February the presenter, who is originally from Wolverhampton, announced he was quitting the BBC children's art show SMart, which has run for more than 10 years.

In an appeal on Tuesday both families said they were "deeply concerned" for Speight who was in a "fragile state of mind".

Ms Collins' mother Carmen, 57, then urged him to "please get in touch with us".

Speight, who is 6ft, was wearing a brown suit jacket with dark jeans and a brown flat cap.

Mark Speight discovered dead
    Published: Sunday, 13 April 2008, 5:35PM

The body of missing TV presenter Mark Speight has been found at a railway station in central London.

A British Transport Police (BTP) confirmed they were advised that the body of a man was discovered at Paddington Railway Station at 10am on Sunday morning.

Officers were called to a remote area of the station, away from public view, following the discovery of the body.

In a statement, BTP said: "The circumstances surrounding his death are subject to an ongoing investigation, but we can confirm the deceased was not struck by a train. At this stage the death is being treated as unexplained."

Investigating officers believe the deceased to be that of reported missing person, 42-year-old Mr Speight.

A formal identification is yet to take place but will be confirmed on Monday.

The body has been removed from the scene and CCTV from the station has been seized as part of the ongoing investigation.

Mr Speight was said to be in a "vulnerable" state following the death of his fiancée, Natasha Collins, in January.

Miss Collins was found dead on January 3 from boiling water burns and a drugs overdose in the bath of the north-west London flat she shared with Speight.

The presenter told police the couple had been "partying" and had taken cocaine and sleeping pills as well as drinking wine and vodka.

He was initially arrested on suspicion of murder and supplying Class A drugs, but last month Scotland Yard said he would not face any charges over the death.

Speight looked drawn and gaunt when he attended her inquest just six days before he went missing.

Speight was reported missing after failing to keep an appointment to meet his dead fiancee's mother for coffee in Covent Garden at 3.30pm the same day.

http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Mar...849563935.html

RIP Mark

Just seen this on the news, sat here gobsmacked.

He's father was on tv this morning pleading him to come home :(

Was that the station he went missing from? And not hit by a train? Guess he killed himself the day he went missing

Thread Information