Thread: School sex rumors page freaks students out, attracts cops

School sex rumors page freaks students out, attracts cops

http://onlineathens.com/stories/100106/news_20061001046.shtml

Police track rumor site's creator

North Oconee gossip put on MySpace

By Merritt Melancon  |  juliana.melancon@onlineathens.com  |  Story updated at 3:19 AM on Sunday, October 1, 2006

BOGART - The Oconee County Sheriff's Office still is hot on the heels of the mystery blogger who filled North Oconee High School's student body with suspicion after airing loads of their dirty laundry on the Internet networking site MySpace.

It's an episode many students at North Oconee are eager to forget. But officials and the sheriff's office are saying they need to find and punish the person who posted the "NOHS Gossip" MySpace site or it could lead to a proliferation of hurtful tabloid-style MySpace sites.

"If we don't take some kind of action, we are going to send the message that were not taking this seriously," said sheriff's Lt. David Kilpatrick, who's been trying to find the site's creator since Sept. 9. "The school has the responsibility to take every action they can to help keep slander down."

The site, which was up on MySpace between Sept. 1 and 9, was a 21st century version of a bathroom wall. The writer - who claimed to be female in an online profile - posted a long list of relationships and supposed sexual encounters of dozens of students.

The list was prefaced with a diatribe against rumor-spreading, and the writer claimed she was cataloging everything she had heard and not inventing new rumors.

The site also included a photo of two uniformed schoolgirls engaged in a fist fight.

By Sept. 9, the day when the majority of NOHS students found the site, dozens of messages left on the site threatened everything from social isolation to physical violence.

The school day was completely disrupted, according to Principal John Osborne, as distraught students fretted about who had posted the rumors and who had read them. The school's counseling office was busier than usual that day, he said.

Verbal confrontations erupted throughout the school, and though arguments never crossed the line to physical scuffles, nearly every class period was disrupted or delayed, he said.

"We had lot of jawing," Osborne said. "Everybody knew who did it and nobody knew who did it, but no one took the law into their own hands."

When the writer refused to come forward, Osborne contacted Kilpatrick, who has investigated computer-based and white collar crime for the sheriff's office for almost a decade, to help track down the site's creator.

Since gossip isn't a a crime, the sheriff's report lists the offense as distributing obscene materials to minors. The list describes sexual encounters and could be accessed by people under 18.

"There's a lot of difference between writing on a bathroom wall and distributing it all over the world on the Internet where anyone has access to it," Kilpatrick said. "That distributing obscene materials law also covers leaving sexually explicit material in a place where minors can find it."

Kilpatrick has subpoenaed MySpace to find the e-mail address and name of the person who started the site, but officials at MySpace only had an e-mail address at Yahoo Mail.

He subpoenaed Yahoo, but the e-mail account was created without a name. The account was started from a computer using BellSouth Internet access in Miami, but the trail ended there.

Kilpatrick says he plans to subpoena BellSouth soon to find the physical address of the person who pays for the Internet access. He admits he's not sure if he'd arrest the guilty gossiper, but said it still is important to find out who posted the site.

If a current student created the site, he or she could face a disciplinary hearing at the high school and probably would receive a punishment, "worse than suspension," Osborne said.

The MySpace site could not have been created on a school computer, since North Oconee, like most high schools, blocks networking and chat Web sites in on-campus computer labs. The student still could be expelled because the school's conduct code covers off-campus conduct that affects life on-campus.

Parents of the libeled students also might choose some sort of civil action, he said.

Meanwhile, students seem to have moved beyond the gossip. It happened before and will happen again, said Katy Teat, a senior at North Oconee.

"It was one day and then it settled down," Teat said. "This is high school, and there will something else to talk about next week."

Published in the Athens Banner-Herald on 100106
    I'm leaning on this broken fence between past and present tense.

Re: School sex rumors page freaks students out, attracts cops

Glad they found it, but sorta wish I had seen it...I'm sick I tell ya, SICK!

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Yea, yea, yea. I wanted to see it too, and I'm not sick!
    Oh, wait....I thought you meant like the flu. I'm not that kind of sick....
    I'm your kind of sick Deb. heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Yea for sickos!

A side note lol,Â* this article, .......the reporter wrote:Â*

The school day was completely disrupted, according to Principal John Osborne, as distraught students fretted about who had posted the rumors and who had read them. The school's counseling office was busier than usual that day, he said.

Who the HELL says fretted??????

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

I think the last know sighting of 'fretting' in NYC was in 1945.
    It was by a Negro gentleman by the name of Samuel Mirman III, over the signing of Jackie Robinson to the Dodgers.
    He didn't want intergration and much enjoyed to watch his favorite players of the Negro leagues.
    He fretted over this decision, and it was the last known fret in the area that wasn't on a guitar. 
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=1828.msg62710#msg62710 date=1159749753]
    It was by a Negro gentleman by the name of Samuel Mirman III, over the signing of Jackie Robinson to the Dodgers.
    He didn't want intergration and much enjoyed to watch his favorite players of the Negro leagues.
    He fretted over this decision, and it was the last known fret in the area that wasn't on a guitar.Â*
    [/quote]

Just as I suspected.......it's been awhile

Oo I'd wanna see!    That's great...

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=1828.msg62710#msg62710 date=1159749753]
    He fretted over this decision, and it was the last known fret in the area that wasn't on a guitar.Â*
    [/quote]
    aw..proper english. One must love that. Thanks Ron.
    On some level. we'd all like to know what's next and be assured that the choices we're making are the right ones. But there's no substitue for following your own instincts"?* Mary Teller

The only reason they are freaking is because what they are really doing was made public....rumors my ass

More like I "I Hit That last night" list

Lol.  That is too funny.  I wish MySpace was around when I was in highschool.  I would have done the same thing...

I wish I could have read it.
    Don&#39;t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.<br /><br />[quote author=bowieluva link=action=profile;u=5553 date=1236809919]<br />ALEX IS WATCHING YOU THROUGH A HOLE IN HIS FACE [/quote]

Thread Information