Thread: Seattle couple kills six family members on Christmas Eve

Seattle couple kills six family members on Christmas Eve

(This is pretty long)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22420704/

SEATTLE - After slaughtering their parents before their eyes, Joseph McEnroe apologized to his girlfriend's young niece and nephew before shooting both point-blank in the head to end a Christmas Eve massacre, prosecutors alleged Friday as they filed aggravated first-degree murder charges.

Although he outlined in detail the attack that left six members of Michele Anderson's family dead in the rural city of Carnation, King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg was at a loss to explain the motive behind the crimes to which the McEnroe and Anderson confessed.

"In the end, what motive could you find that would make sense of the senseless slaying of the Anderson family?" Satterberg said. The couple is being charged with the only crime punishable by death in Washington. He has 30 days to decide whether to seek the death penalty.

Story continues below ↓
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I pledge to give this case serious consideration for the state's ultimate punishment."

The two face an arraignment on Jan. 9.

The father died first
    Court documents said McEnroe, a store clerk, and Anderson, who is unemployed, told detectives they armed themselves on Christmas Eve and went to her parent's home near Carnation, about 25 miles east of Seattle.

There, they confronted Anderson's parents, Wayne Anderson, 60, and Judy Anderson, 61, in their living room.

Michele Anderson told detectives her brother, a carpenter, had failed to pay her back money he borrowed years earlier and she was upset with her parents for failing to side with her. Additionally, she said her parents were pressuring her to start paying rent for staying in the trailer on their property.

"Michele stated that she was tired of everybody stepping on her," the court papers say. "She stated that she was upset with her parents and her brother and that if the problems did not get resolved on Dec. 24, then her intent was definitely to kill everybody."

Satterberg said Michele Anderson fired once at her father's head but missed. McEnroe stepped in, leveled his gun and fatally shot Wayne Anderson in the head.

Click for related content
    Read the complete charging statement (.pdf)

'You don't have to do this'
    Judy Anderson heard the shots and ran from the back room where she had been wrapping gifts. She was shot by McEnroe, who apologized to her before shooting her again, this time in the head, the court documents said.

Satterberg said that during the next 30 to 45 minutes, the two dragged the bodies to a shed behind the house, used towels and carpets to sop up blood stains. They awaited the arrival of the dead couple's son, Scott, his wife, Erica, both 32, and their 3-year-old son, Nathan, and 6-year-old daughter, Olivia, for a Christmas Eve visit.

Her brother and sister-in-law put up a brave struggle, according to the documents.

"Michele told detectives that Scott charged her when she pulled out the gun and that she shot him at least twice and maybe as many as four times," court documents stated.

Michele then shot Erica Anderson twice, but she was able to crawl over the back of a couch to call authorities.

McEnroe told detectives he tore the phone from Erica's hands and destroyed it.

Huddling with her children, Erica Anderson pleaded with McEnroe not to shoot her, saying: "You don't have to do this."

McEnroe told her: "Yes, we do,"' and shot her in the head, according to the affidavit.

He then shot 6-year-old Olivia before turning to 3-year-old Nathan, who had picked up the batteries from the cordless phone his mother had used in her futile attempt to call for help.

Satterberg said McEnroe told detectives he apologized to both children before killing them.

"McEnroe told detectives that Nathan held the batteries up in one hand and gave '..the look of complete comprehension ... as if he understood." McEnroe than fired on last bullet through Nathan's head, according to the affidavit.

Story continues below ↓
    advertisement

When asked why he shot Erica, Olivia and Nathan, McEnroe told detectives three times: "I didn't want them to turn us in," according to the affidavit.

Michele Anderson told investigators "it was a combination of not wanting them to have to live with the memories and not wanting there to be any witnesses."

After the killings, McEnroe and Anderson first drove north toward Canada, then south toward the neighboring state of Oregon arriving at neither destination. They then decided to go back and pretend to discover the bodies, Satterberg said.

When they arrived Wednesday, investigators were already there.

Detectives, curious that neither McEnroe nor Michele Anderson asked what had happened at the bustling crime scene, began questioning them and they eventually confessed, according to the documents.

Telephone calls to public defender George Eppler, Anderson's attorney, and Devon Gibbs, McEnroe's lawyer, were not immediately returned Friday.

---------

I don't know if this is posted elsewhere--this is my first post but it caught my attention.
    I think I found the suspects myspace's but the guys has nothing on it and the woman's (if it's even hers) is private. I know it says that the last log in was the 27th but that could have been someone logging in to make it private. But it didn't say anything about her having kids in the article. Hm!

Anderson (maybe) : http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid =76258155
    McEnroe (maybe):http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=198902833

Re: Seattle couple kills six family members on Christmas Eve

This story absolutely left me in tears. Those poor babies...how awful. ugh.

Re: Seattle couple kills six family members on Christmas Eve

There's already a thread about this in the news section. More discussion going on there and some interesting links.

http://mydeathspace.com/smf/index.php?topic=11764.0

:-)
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

OMG, this is the first time I'm learning about this. How awful! Those 2 sickos should be tortured, slowly...all over money?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    It's about time. Seven years for him and eight for her to go to trial?

What a terrible story
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Gotta have pix to go with the thread. Uggh

Some scrub up better for court than others

Holy crap. She looks worse now. Is meth part of the daily jail regime?

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Holy crap. She looks worse now. Is meth part of the daily jail regime?
    My first thought too - & whatever incarceration is doing for her, is it really better than paying rent for your parents trailer?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Sure looks like she hasn't showered in a month. Seriously?
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Ugly assholes!

Holy shit.
    I am glad this pondscum apologized to everyone, especially the 6 and 3 year olds before slaughtering them. That makes it all better.

Two words....DEATH PENALTY. I cannot even think straight after reading this. I am at a loss for words.

Godspeed, Wayne
    Godspeed, Judy
    Godspeed, Scott
    Godspeed, Erica
    Godspeed, baby Olivia
    Godspeed, baby Nathan

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

I would love to know just how much money was worth killing the whole family over. It will probably be a sickening small amount.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

I do not like calling people 'ugly'. That's just not me, but I will make an exception in this case...

Bitch is B.U.T.T.U.G.L.Y.
    Not only was she beat with the ugly stick, it was broke on her.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    She actually fell out of the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down. Extreme Makeover - Ugly Edition couldn't help her ass. Now that we know she's at least as ugly on the inside as she is on the outside though, all is well.

And u2 and I would make for one hell of a death squad. There is no cause for what they did, and there's no bringing those six family members back. No magical formulas, no surgical procedures, nothing is going to bring them back. Those families have had to live with the trauma of what happened to those loved ones...those babies...and that is a pain that is indescribable and unrelenting. These two deserve so much worse than death...so. much. worse.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Everyone has their less than cute and bad hair days. She almost has a Rocky Dennis thing going on. Homeboy resembles someone too, it will come to me in a bit.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

sure, they're ugly but what could keep the state from prosecuting for 7 years? Going on 8?
    We are each our own devil and we make this world our own hell...Oscar Wilde

We had a Christmas Day Massacre in 2011 also.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/santa-claus...ry?id=15240342
    Father/Husband dressed as Santa and killed 6 of his family members and himself.
    He shot himself and then called 911 and said "help me", then died.

All because they went bankrupt, she divorced him and then house went into foreclosure and he had nothing.

Why Christmas???? SMH.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    We had a Christmas Day Massacre in 2011 also.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/santa-claus...ry?id=15240342
    Father/Husband dressed as Santa and killed 6 of his family members and himself.
    He shot himself and then called 911 and said "help me", then died.

All because they went bankrupt, she divorced him and then house went into foreclosure and he had nothing.

Why Christmas???? SMH.
    Because that less than human asshole wanted to make a statement. I remember that event, it's around here somewhere on this site...and it happened not far from me. He knew it'd make news fo sho because no one wants to see that shit happening on what is supposed to be a day of peace and love for family. He couldn't handle it so he killed his family, when all he really should have done was off himself. But nooooo, couldn't do that!!

Fuck that asshole, I hope he enjoys eternity in Hell, should such a place exist. Either way, he did humanity a favor by killing himself. I only wish he could have spared the family and friends of the victims all of their heartache by doing himself first.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/loca...ders/27255601/

Joseph McEnroe sentenced to life in prison for Carnation murders

(May 13, 2015) SEATTLE ? Joseph McEnroe was sentenced to life in prison for his role without the possibility of parole in the murders of a family of six on Christmas Eve 2007.

McEnroe was convicted of killing his then-girlfriend's family in Carnation, having shot them all in the head.

Prosecutors were seeking the death penalty.

The defense maintained that McEnroe is mentally ill and was the pawn of his abusive and controlling girlfriend, Michele Anderson. They say Anderson was the mastermind in the murders of her parents Wayne and Judy Anderson; brother Scott; sister-in-law Erica; 5-year-old niece Olivia and 3-year-old nephew Nathan.

A recording of Anderson admitting to the killings was played during McEnroe's trial.

Seven years, four months and six days since the killing of her daughter and two grandchildren, Pam Mantle can finally exhale. The decision to spare McEnroe from the death chamber is fine with her. She says she's still ready to put the trial behind her, even though the killings still haunt her.

"I'm still sick about losing my family. Every day, I go through it daily after seven and a half years," she said.

McEnroe, however, had nothing to say as he left the courtroom after the verdict was read.

His attorney says McEnroe hopes to use his time in prison to counsel other inmates.

"He wants to try to redeem himself. The things he said in his allocution, his testimony are absolutely true," said defense attorney Bill Prestia.

McEnroe did apologize to the families during the trial, something Pam Mantle says she just can't accept.

"He had no respect for anybody. He had no respect for the two people who were kindest to him, which were Wayne and Judy, who took him in. He shot them and threw them in the back yard. I have nothing to say about him," she said.

This is one of the most expensive cases in King County history at more than $10 million, and the meter is still running with the Michele Anderson trial scheduled for next January.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/P....html?mobile=y

Death penalty taken off table in 2nd Carnation murder trial

(July 31, 2015) SEATTLE - King County prosecutor Dan Satterberg announced Wednesday his office will no longer seek the death penalty against Michele Anderson, charged with killing of six members of her family in Carnation on Christmas Eve 2007.

Instead, Anderson will face life in prison without possibility of parole if she is convicted during her trial this fall.

The decision comes two months after jurors decided against the death penalty for her alleged accomplice Joseph McEnroe, who was convicted on six counts of first degree murder.

Prosecutors said McEnroe was the one who fatally shot five of the six victims, including the two children. In that trial, eight members of the jury voted for death, but it required a unanimous decision. He's been sentenced to life in prison without parole; a decision his attorneys are appealing.

"I initially filed the notice to seek the death penalty because the case in my opinion met the legal standard, and I thought the premeditated murder of six people including two small children, qualifies as one of the worst crimes we've had in King County. I thought in each of the co-defendants case should have the option of the state's ultimate punishment," Satterberg said. "To proceed with the death penalty against defendant Anderson, in light of the sentence imposed on defendant McEnroe, would not be in the interest of justice."

Satterberg added the decision was made by his office and not in conjunction with any deals with Anderson's defense team.

"We have long said the death penalty is too powerful of a tool to use as a plea bargaining chip and our action today demonstrates that principle," Satterberg said.

According to prosecutors, Anderson and McEnroe first killed Anderson's parents, - Wayne, 60, a Boeing engineer, and Judy, 61, a postal worker - at their Carnation home.

Then they allegedly turned their guns on 6-year-old Olivia Anderson and her brother, Nathan, 3, who were shot to death alongside their parents, Scott Anderson, 30, and Erika Mantle Anderson, 32, as all four arrived for a Christmas Eve celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Oh this case...

Thread Information