Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Leah Hickman (21) was found dead in the crawlspace of her apartment building

Re: Leah Hickman (21) was found dead in the crawlspace of her apartment building

So no one smelled anything for 6 days?  That's pretty weird.

Olivia

Re: Leah Hickman (21) was found dead in the crawlspace of her apartment building

[quote author=UltraViolet link=topic=11628.msg673731#msg673731 date=1198874547]
    So no one smelled anything for 6 days?  That's pretty weird.
    [/quote]

You'd think that if they were searching for her, they would have at least opened cupboards in the laundry to see if she had perhaps left anything in there?  Apparently she was put into a storage cupboard type thing.

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=11628.msg673735#msg673735 date=1198874739]
    You'd think that if they were searching for her, they would have at least opened cupboards in the laundry to see if she had perhaps left anything in there?  Apparently she was put into a storage cupboard type thing.
    [/quote]

Indeed Olivia. I wonder how no-one found her as I'd assume they did a search of the house.

Ultraviolet makes an interesting point too, surely a body left for 6 days would emit some kind of odour?

This is intriguing for sure.

RIP Leah, I hope whoever did this to you gets caught.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

Sorry if I missed it, but have they announced the COD yet?

Olivia

[quote author=Morbid Curiosity link=topic=11628.msg673807#msg673807 date=1198881387]
    Sorry if I missed it, but have they announced the COD yet?
    [/quote]

As of 24 December, they know what killed her but it hasn't been released.

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/local/071224-rutherford-localleahhickmanbodyidentified.html

Maybe they were all out searching for her, giving statements in the police station, getting in contact with people that knew her, calling hospitals etc

If my sister/friend went missing after a quick sweep of the house i'd be out hunting for them. In the crawlspace would be one of the last things i'd think of,well until i came on mds...

Just my 2 cents.

The cops are saying that the crawl space was not in plain sight in the basement.  They also said in the press conference where they announced they had found the body that it was "fresh" crime scene.  That made me wonder if maybe the body hadn't been there the whole time.  They are not releasing much information at all. 

[quote author=Stef with an F link=topic=11628.msg674523#msg674523 date=1198937716]
    The cops are saying that the crawl space was not in plain sight in the basement.  They also said in the press conference where they announced they had found the body that it was "fresh" crime scene.  That made me wonder if maybe the body hadn't been there the whole time.  They are not releasing much information at all. 
    [/quote]

If she'd been there for a while you'd think they would've smelled her.

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=11628.msg673735#msg673735 date=1198874739]
    [/quote]

I thought this same thing, along with no one noticing a smell, but the building she lived in is mostly (if not all) students. They should have been home for the holidays. I was surprised she and her sister were still there.
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=21574.msg1377077#msg1377077 date=1251870961]<br />You are every kind of fail<br />[/quote]

So no one smelled anything for 6 days?&nbsp; That's pretty weird.
    From everything I've read since the week she was missing,Leah was last seen on Friday, the 14th of December, and it became apparent she was missing the next day which is when her mom filed the police report. From what I've read, police searched the apartments once then and then had been investigating outside of the apartments since there was no sign of foul play or break in or anything like that.

The newspaper said that the apartment building she lives in has four apartments total; two of them were empty, one was occupied by a man who was verified to be in Ohio, and the only other occupied apartment in the building was the one Leah shared with her sister. So there really wouldn't have been anyone to smell anything since the only person living there that week was the sister who was presumably spending most of her time with the search. (People put so much time and effort into that. They worked really hard to find her and get the word out that she was missing.)

Also, there was an interview with the owner of the building and he had bought it back in April of 2007 and he said that he had never even seen the crawlspace. He said that he was aware that it existed but something about the location of it made it not really a place that was accessed frequently or even necessarily. The police said everything in their investigation kept leading them back to those apartments and when they took a harder look, they stumbled upon the existence of the crawlspace.

They still haven't released any more information about her cause of death or whether or not they have any suspects. There's a lot of rumors flying around that her sister was somehow involved, due to all the circumstance. (Her being the last person to see Leah alive, her being the only other person in the apartment building at the time, Leah's keys and wallet and all of that still being in the apartment the day after she went missing, no sign of a struggle, etc.) It's really sad because everything I've heard says she is so devastated by this, so if she had nothing to do with it, it's adding so much insult to injury. Whatever the case, I really hope they release more information soon. Most people around here are really uneasy not knowing if this was just some random act of violence and that person is still out there.

It sounds to me like the police have a suspect and don't want to release clues that only the killer can tell so that it will be easier to get a warrant for the murder.

Jan. 8, 2008

Police Know Cause of Death But Not Releasing It
    Preliminary Autopsy Results Out; Students Return in a Week

Marshall students are just days away from returning to university where the death of journalism student Leah Hickman, one of their own, remains an unsolved mystery and the natives are getting restless.

&quot;My daughter is coming back to Marshall this spring and I'd be making sure she was staying on-campus if she didn't still live at home,&quot; said one Huntington mother of a sophomore art student. This mother said she'd also likely be insisting that Marshall President Stephen Kopp put pressure on police to solve the case sooner rather than later, predicting a high level of anxiety among other parents of returning students and students themselves if it's not.

Both the mayor's office and the chief's office are aware of the pressure from the public, the media, and that which is self-imposed on the Huntington Police Department.

&quot;This office is pleased with the job that they are doing; they are exploring every conceivable angle that's available to them,&quot; said Huntington's Director of Finance and Administration and de facto deputy mayor, Brandi Jacobs-Jones. &quot;The are working extremely hard on this case; I don't think the public really understands how hard they are working.&quot;

Police Chief Skip Holbrook can't offer much yet to quiet the growing demand for answers, however, saying again that to do so would hamper the police department's investigation. Even though police now know how Hickman died, they're not saying. &quot;We've discussed the cause of death with the Medical Examiner's office, but that's something we're not sharing at this time,&quot; the chief said.

Asked why such seemingly important for-the-public-to-know information can not be released yet, Holbrook said, &quot;if the killer's the only person who knows how she was killed and we're interviewing people and trying to determine who knew what and who doesn't know, by us having information like that, that only us and the person that did it know, that's one way that we can eliminate people or connect people.&quot;

Another issue besides how she was killed that seems to bother many people still, is the answer as to how it was Hickman's body was not found for a week even though it was right in the building where she was last seen. Holbrook has explained that before by saying that the use of police dogs for searching is not an perfect science and that he wished he could say more to alleviate concern but that he couldn't.

Jacobs-Jones says she knows the public is wanting more information than police are willing to release now. &quot;I think it's extremely difficult for them because there is a good explanation,&quot; she said of the week-long search that ended right back where it started.

She also wants to tell the public the police are doing everything they can to bring this case to a close, &quot;Everything that they can provide they have provided; I think that's been very frustrating for them as well as for the public because it seems like we're at a standstill when they are moving full-speed ahead as quickly as they can.&quot;

The chief's frustration comes out when he's asked the same question in just a somewhat different form, yet again. &quot;How come us saying that we'll let that go as soon as we deem it's appropriate, why isn't that good enough?&quot;

Told the public is demanding more information, the chief is skeptical. &quot;The public is demanding to know how she was killed,&quot; he asked rhetorically.

The chief thinks he knows who really wants the information, &quot;the only thing that is promoting this whole hysteria is the media pushing and pushing and pushing,&quot; he said in frustration.

Studies have shown that excess coverage, especially by tabloid TV talk shows and national 24-hour media outlets, such as has happened with this case, with national coverage converging on Huntington for several days at a time, and local media not being immune to the blandishments of &quot;the big story,&quot; can in fact breed a form of mass panic. And that type of coverage is likely to return or increase when Marshall students return.

&quot;Take a step back off the ledge and let us just keep plugging away here, and we'll put it [more info] out on a level playing field, [in a press conference setting] just like we have the last two times,&quot; Holbrook said.

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/local/080108-seaton-localcauseofdeath.html

Anybody found anything recently about this one?

I haven't turned up anything other than more of the same.

[quote author=LuciferBlue link=topic=11628.msg714351#msg714351 date=1201729712]
    Anybody found anything recently about this one?

I haven't turned up anything other than more of the same.
    [/quote]

Nope, police still aren't releasing ANYTHING!&nbsp; Rumor is she was completely wrapped in plastic, so in a storage area in a basement in Dec in WV would explain why no foul smell. But again, that is rumor, so who knows.&nbsp;

Yea, I was hoping someone had some updates on this case.
    I am like the Tin Man, I wish I had a heart.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x1731431065
    Authorities will not say anything about this case.

Too bad. She was really hot. :2thescream:

I looked for an update and got nothing...
    I am really interested in knowing about the two sets of evidence... and the cause of death.
    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

This is a seriously disturbing. Has to be a fellow student or someone very familiar with the apartment building. How awful for the family!
    That is Mrs. Bitch to you!

yeah it seems like it has to be someone she knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

&quot;life is all about ass; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you simply live with one&quot;

This is her quote on her myspace page. In reference to the last part of the quote, if you are getting along with the person you are living with would this be your quote? Maybe I'm reading into it, perhaps she thought it was profound.

May the investigators get the breaks they need to solve the case and bring this young woman justice.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/16642431.html

Huntington Police say Marshall student Leah Hickman was strangled to death -- and there are no signs that she was sexually assaulted.

Police say they do not believe Leah's murder was a random act -- and they believe the person or people responsible for the crime was/were &quot;familiar with&quot; Leah and the layout of her apartment building.

Police say they are not going to release the results of the DNA tests at this point in their investigation.

Police say they haven't excluded anyone with regard to suspects in the case -- and this is still a very active case.

Police say they met with Leah's family Wednesday prior to Thursday's news conference.

Huntington Police say tests are continuing and the investigation continues to involve multiple law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and West Virginia State Police.

Olivia

[quote author=sassyasskitty link=topic=11628.msg765978#msg765978 date=1205434051]
    http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/16642431.html

Huntington Police say Marshall student Leah Hickman was strangled to death -- and there are no signs that she was sexually assaulted.

Police say they do not believe Leah's murder was a random act -- and they believe the person or people responsible for the crime was/were &quot;familiar with&quot; Leah and the layout of her apartment building.

Police say they are not going to release the results of the DNA tests at this point in their investigation.

Police say they haven't excluded anyone with regard to suspects in the case -- and this is still a very active case.

Police say they met with Leah's family Wednesday prior to Thursday's news conference.

Huntington Police say tests are continuing and the investigation continues to involve multiple law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and West Virginia State Police.

[/quote]

Over at websleuths that are discussing that Leah's sister may have been the killer&nbsp; :-o

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57746

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=11628.msg790359#msg790359 date=1206989056]
    Over at websleuths that are discussing that Leah's sister may have been the killer&nbsp; :-o

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57746

[/quote]

that would really suck . . . they seemed so close.&nbsp; It does make some sense though.

I still look into this but it the case seems to be at stand still, most the local sites are full of message boards blaming the sister, the father or even boyfriend, but most seem to have the running belief its the sister.

Maybe the police are having trouble showing sisters dna found (i'm guessing) got there playing a part in her death not due to day to day contact

Latest news article that mentions her-

First Leah Hickman scholarship awarded
    May 06, 2008 @ 11:58 PM
    The Herald-Dispatch
    HUNTINGTON -- Marshall University has awarded its first scholarship established in honor of a student killed during the winter break.

The Leah Hickman Memorial Scholarship has been given to broadcast journalism student Griffin McElroy, according to a release from the university.

The scholarship, worth $500, was presented to McElroy by Hickman's mother, Sherry Russell.

Hickman was killed Dec. 14, 2007, the last day of classes before winter break. The cause of death was listed as strangulation.

Hickman's body, which was stuffed into a crawl space beneath her apartment, was not found until a week after she was last seen. Police have made no arrests in the case.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/marshalluniversity/x1944333072

Timeline here as not sure if it was linked before- http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/marshalluniversity/x1000089397

Some new articles from past week or so

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x988040490/No-Headline

Test results pending, investigation continues in Hickman case
    Jun 13, 2008
    By CURTIS JOHNSON
    The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- Police are awaiting forensic tests and continuing to follow up on leads in hopes of catching and convicting Leah Hickman's killer or killers.

Huntington police believe she was strangled Dec. 14 by an acquaintance who had knowledge as to the layout of her 8th Avenue apartment. Police found the 21-year-old's body a week later. It was hidden in a crawl space underneath the building at 403 8th Ave.

In March, detectives confirmed reports about her strangulation and there was no evidence of sexual assault. They also asked for the public's patience as they sent evidence to the FBI for extensive testing.

Her father, Ron Hickman, spoke with The Herald-Dispatch on Thursday. He said it's been a while since he received an update from police. He hears that detectives continue working his daughter's case.

&quot;We have to rely on the professionals handling it, that they are doing their jobs,&quot; he said. &quot;There are prayer chains across the country and across the world. We've got to have faith that God will answer our prayers.&quot;

In no way is the case at a standstill, according to Huntington Police Sgt. John Williams. He said intricate testing continues at the FBI, but that is only one facet of the investigation. Detectives still work other leads in the case.

The telephone doesn't ring with clues everyday, but Williams said it never did. To some that could be depressing, but it fits with the theory that an acquaintance caused her death. Finding the one piece of information that can prove guilt is difficult. He said she wasn't a victim involved in something that outwardly points to a motive or cause.

Williams vowed to work the case everyday, for as long as he stays at the department. He referred to the victim as a typical student, who was working a part-time job and trying to make her way in the world.

&quot;That's the challenge of the whole thing -- finding out who in her past she had problems with and things of that nature,&quot; he said.

&quot;It's on your mind daily,&quot; he added. &quot;It could have been any one of our daughters, anyone of our sisters or any one of our friends. ... She wasn't hurting anybody in her life, and for somebody to come along and to do something so morbid to her, so shocking, it really affects you in such a way you don't want to stop until this person is brought to justice.&quot;

In an interview last month, Capt. Steve Hall said detectives have a working theory, but they lack enough evidence. His explanation was similar to that expressed in talking about the unsolved shooting deaths of four area teenagers in May 2005. A big difference is ongoing evidence tests provide hope for quicker closure in Hickman's death.

Williams and Hall both said they understand frustration from the public and the victim's family, but they say getting a conviction is more important than rushing to court. They're aware they only get one shot at taking the case to a jury. If you go with a theory and too little evidence, that could result in an acquittal and double jeopardy would prevent justice later on.

Those in the community have offered many stories about what happened, but their rumors never have been confirmed by police. Don't expect that to change anytime soon. Williams said some items are known only to police and the killer. Publicizing that information makes authenticating someone's statement more difficult.

Williams also stopped short of publicly ruling out anyone as potential suspects. He said doing so could provide too many specifics.

Interview with her father-

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x988040488/No-Headline

‘There is not a day that goes by that I don’t cry,’ Hickman's father says
    Jun 13, 2008
    By CURTIS JOHNSON
    The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- Time stands still six months after the death of Marshall University co-ed Leah Hickman.

Blue and white bows still adorn a tree at her apartment building, and her MySpace.com page is decorated with Christmas images. The Web page features a picture with her eyes closed and a last login date of Dec. 14, 2007.

That is the day Huntington police believe someone strangled the 21-year-old. Her body was hidden in a crawl space underneath her 403 8th Ave. apartment building. And like then, the case remains unsolved.

Her father, Ron Hickman, said the family keeps hoping and praying every day.

&quot;There is not a day that goes by that I don't cry. It's very difficult to deal with,&quot; he said. &quot;No one wants it solved more than what I do. ... The Hickman family, we're a close family and it has just absolutely devastated all of us.&quot;

The victim was last seen Dec. 14. Police believe she visited a nearby McDonald's about 5:30 p.m. that Friday. She was never heard from again.

Leah Hickman's loss continues to be felt by many. Her friends continue leaving messages on her MySpace.com page, knowing there will be no reply.

One friend talked about her upcoming wedding. Leah Hickman would have been a bridesmaid for sure, she said. Another friend wished the victim was alive to see the recently released &quot;Sex and the City&quot; movie. Another talked about looking through old pictures, while another remembered childhood stories.

&quot;Hey girl hey! Love ya and miss ya,&quot; the poster writes. &quot;I was thinking today about how we would have slumber parties when we were little girls and you would snore, then we would put stuff in your nose.&quot;

Ron Hickman spoke with The Herald-Dispatch on Thursday. He spent time talking about the case, reminiscing about his daughter and describing ways he's coped with her loss. He said the loss touched many in Mason County.

&quot;A wonderful young lady&quot;

Ron Hickman said he has no idea why someone would kill his little girl.

&quot;She was just a wonderful young lady,&quot; he said. &quot;Anytime that there is a senseless act like this, it's hard to deal with.&quot;

Leah Hickman was her father's only child, his parent's first grandchild and a helper in his campaign for Mason County assessor. Her former colleagues at the Dress Barn in Barboursville, where she worked, referred to her as &quot;our angel.&quot;

&quot;She was a very special, loving person,&quot; her father said. &quot;I just think that again, what The Dress Barn has done and the response of Mason County in this tragedy speaks volumes of her character.&quot;

The Dress Barn's support included paying for Leah's funeral. Her father said the company's help was comforting.

&quot;It's been overwhelming,&quot; he said. &quot;I think it speaks volumes of the type of company and organization they are.&quot;

Ron Hickman was first elected as assessor in 1996. His daughter's Christian school was located near the courthouse, and she quickly became a fixture in the office.

&quot;I've had long-serving staff members who have been here since she was small,&quot; he said. &quot;Everybody here has been devastated.&quot;

Leah Hickman was ready to be involved in her father's most recent campaign for assessor. The journalism student looked forward to using lessons learned at Marshall University to bolster his campaign.

Her participation was nothing new. Ron Hickman said she would frequently attend dinners and other functions. He was unopposed in the May primary and will be unopposed again in November, but this year's campaign is still the most difficult he has waged.

&quot;She's always been there with me,&quot; he said. &quot;You just remember the good times.&quot;

Coping with tragedy

Leah Hickman was missing for a week before Huntington police located her body. That gave seven days for her story to catch national attention during the holiday season.

Ron Hickman stays in touch with national headlines. He has watched many stories about missing young women, but this time it was his daughter's face that became a fixture on cable news networks.

&quot;It was odd to see,&quot; he said. &quot;It's just something you wish wasn't there, but it was.&quot;

Many volunteered to search for Leah Hickman. Her family was front-and-center on many newscasts. That all changed when detectives found her body.

&quot;Of course you never wanted to give up,&quot; he said. &quot;It was just very hard to put into words. I can't say enough about the community here and the whole county for the support they've shown. It's been tremendous.&quot;

Police found her body four days before Christmas, and it tragically changed her father's holiday season. He became emotional when talking about her wish list. He said the family's gathering shifted from a time of celebration to support.

&quot;The younger members of the family really were the ones who received the gifts, but it was just time spent being a family,&quot; he said.

Ron Hickman said he continues to lean on a multitude of friends. He finds support in his office, at church and within his family.

&quot;It's the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with,&quot; he said.

Her father also has found Christian support in Cabell County Assessor Ottie Adkins. The two meet up at statewide meetings and he stops by Adkins' office any time he drives through Huntington.

&quot;If he sees me out, he has always come up and just given me a hug and let me know that he's there for me,&quot; Ron Hickman said.

Ron Hickman did not have a message for those responsible in his daughter's death, other than saying many people are praying for justice.

http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&amp;storyid=40021

Hickman Murder Remains Unsolved
    Posted Saturday, June 14, 2008 ; 04:38 PM
    Updated Saturday, June 14, 2008 ; 06:25 PM

Six months has passed since Leah Hickman was killed in Huntington apartment

HUNTINGTON -- It was six months on Saturday when Marshall University Student Leah Hickman was murdered. There are still no suspects, but Huntington police said the case is still high on their priorities.

Hickman was last seen on December 14th, her body was discovered one week later.

Since then, no suspects have been arrested in the case.

Authorities said they are waiting for results from the latest forensic tests and they are hoping that will provide new insight on the murder.

Alot of boards still think its the sister, i'm not so sure. Anyone seen anything else?

Thread Information