Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Joseph Edward Duncan III and the Groene Family murders

Re: Horrific Abuse Video Shown in Duncan Sentencing

Courts pile multiple life sentences on Duncan
    The six terms handed down by state and federal judges are in addition to the death sentences already assessed.

BY TODD DVORAK - THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Edition Date: 11/04/08

Six life prison terms were added Monday to the death sentences of Joseph Edward Duncan III, with a judge telling the confessed child-killer that his horrific rampage of murdering four family members and abducting and sexually torturing a young brother and sister "exceeds the bounds of human understanding."

In August, a federal jury handed Duncan three binding death penalty sentences for the kidnapping, torture and murder of 9-year-old Dylan Groene, who was snatched from his Coeur d'Alene home on May 16, 2005, with his sister Shasta and held for weeks at remote campsites in western Montana.

Duncan kidnapped the children after barging into their northern Idaho home and using a hammer to kill their 13-year-old brother, Slade Groene, their mother, Brenda Groene, and her fiance, Mark McKenzie.

In a state court hearing Monday, Duncan was sentenced to three life terms for those murders. He had previously been sentenced in state court in 2006 to three life terms on kidnapping charges for binding all three victims before they were bludgeoned.

Shortly after the state hearing, U.S. District Judge Edward Lodge sentenced Duncan to three additional life terms, one for kidnapping Shasta Groene, the lone survivor of the Duncan's violence, and one each for sexually abusing Shasta and her brother.

"By any stretch of the imagination, your rampage exceeded the bounds of human understanding," Lodge told Duncan. "These crimes were unfathomable, cruel and sadistic."

Duncan, 45, was handcuffed and whisked away by U.S. marshals. Prosecutors say the Federal Bureau of Prisons will determine where he should be held, a decision that may be influenced by whether California authorities pursue criminal charges against Duncan for the 1997 abduction and murder of a 10-year-old boy from Riverside County.

Duncan, a convicted pedophile originally from Tacoma, Wash., who acted as his own attorney during the death penalty phase last summer, has said his violence was motivated by a need to seek revenge on society.

Offered a final chance Monday to explain his actions or offer remorse to Groene relatives, Duncan was unapologetic and instead quoted a Biblical passage he attributed to St. Paul.

"I care very little why I'm judged by your or by any human court. Indeed, I do not even judge myself," Duncan said. "My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. The truth is my only judge."

Duncan pleaded guilty last December to 10 federal counts stemming from his kidnapping and sexual abuse of Dylan and Shasta, who was 8 at the time, and the slaying of Dylan. Three of those charges qualified for the death penalty.

During his federal death penalty hearing, prosecutors spelled out the details of the more than five weeks the children spent as Duncan's captives.

Prosecutors said that at campsites in Montana's Lolo National Forest, Duncan raped, tortured and threatened the children before shooting Dylan in the head on June 22, burning his body and ordering Shasta to help bury the remains. Jurors also watched a horrifying video Duncan made of his sexually abusing, torturing and hanging Dylan until the boy lost consciousness.

After Dylan's death, Duncan took Shasta back to Coeur d'Alene, where the girl was rescued July 2 after a waitress recognized her while the two were at a restaurant, ending a nationwide manhunt.

Prosecutors have said the law requires the multiple death sentences and life terms, and they would act as safeguards if convictions or sentences are overturned on appeal.

Lodge also ordered Duncan to pay $100,000 in restitution to cover future costs of counseling and treatment for Shasta. Lodge acknowledged it's unlikely Duncan will be able to pay that cost, but he imposed the fine should Duncan be able to profit in any way from selling the rights to his story.

Duncan has 10 days to file a notice of intent to appeal his federal sentence.

Re: Horrific Abuse Video Shown in Duncan Sentencing

The death penalty is too good for this monster. 

https://www.idahopress.com/news/loca...1a42a85d9.html

An Idaho woman, who as a child was the lone survivor of the brutal murders of her family, violated her probation for charges related to endangering a child.

Shasta Groene, 21, was accused in October 2017 of leaving methamphetamine where a 1-year-old could have ingested it. She was charged with the misdemeanor in December 2017. She later received a second misdemeanor charge at her plea deal in April for leaving a 1-month-old child close to meth, also in October 2017, according to Canyon County court records.

Groene was the only one in her family to survive the torture inflicted by Joseph Edward Duncan III in 2005. In a 2015 interview with KHQ news, Groene opened up about her struggle with drug use. In 2014, she served a year in juvenile detention for a drug-related crime.

Groene pleaded guilty April 20 to the two misdemeanor charges. She was sentenced to 18 months unsupervised probation with withheld judgment, which means if Groene successfully completed her probation, she could petition to get the charges wiped from her record.

But just one month after her sentencing, Groene violated her probation, according to the online court repository.

Groene admitted to violating her probation June 21, according to the repository. Her probation sentence remained at 18 months following the probation violation hearing. Now, however, she will be supervised, according to the repository.

Duncan killed Groene’s mother, stepfather and brother, Slade, in 2005. He abducted her, then 8, and her 9-year-old brother, Dylan. Dylan was killed in front of Shasta in Montana. Groene was spotted with Duncan by a waitress at a restaurant in Couer d’Alene.

Never heard about this case before.....that poor girl, it's no wonder she turned to drugs. The shit she had seen when she was younger, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

With what all happened to her I?m not really surprised. She was basically guaranteed to be fucked up

I remember when she was still missing with her little brother. She is almost unrecognizable, it's very sad. I hope that she is able to get clean again with some help.

jfc this kid should've been provided with intensive, longterm, fully funded counselling - for life if necessary. I hope she wasn't just given the bare minimum & cut loose to manage her trauma on her own

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    jfc this kid should've been provided with intensive, longterm, fully funded counselling - for life if necessary. I hope she wasn't just given the bare minimum & cut loose to manage her trauma on her own
    Sad. So sad. I doubt if she had any sort of help to cope with anything.
    http://www.khq.com/story/30388788/sh...-after-tragedy
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Convicted serial killer Joseph Duncan dies on death row

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...nqm-story.html

Joseph Duncan, a serial killer who terrorized northern Idaho nearly two decades ago, has died on federal death row in Indiana.

According to KXLY, Duncan, who was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, died early Saturday morning at a hospital in Indiana after being taken out of the federal prison in Terre Haute.

Duncan, 58, received a federal death sentence in 2005 shortly after he murdered several members of a family in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho in order to kidnap a brother in sister he had seen while driving by the family’s home. He held the kids in Montana for several weeks before he killed the boy and returned the girl to a restaurant in Coeur d’Alene.

After he was arrested, his DNA was linked to kidnapping and murder of a California boy in 1997 and the murder of two young girls in Seattle in the 1990s.

“The sun is a little brighter today,” Diana Martinez, the mother of one of the victims, said. “My soul is lighter. The world is a more beautiful place without the evil that is Joseph Duncan. God chose to make his end a long suffering and I believe that is fitting. The horror of his thoughts consumed him.”

In 2019, Duncan lost his last appeal of his death sentences.

Thread Information