Thread: Alan Merrill (69), 'I Love Rock 'N' Roll' Songwriter, Dies From Coronavirus at 69

Alan Merrill (69), 'I Love Rock 'N' Roll' Songwriter, Dies From Coronavirus at 69

Alan Merrill, co-writer and singer of the original version of "I Love Rock 'N' Roll," has died at age 69 from COVID-19, according to his daughter, who shared the news on social media.

"The Coronavirus took my father this morning," Laura Merrill wrote on Facebook on Sunday (March 29).

She continued: "I was given 2 minutes to say my goodbyes before I was rushed out. He seemed peaceful and as I left was still a glimmer of hope that he wouldn?t be a ticker on the right hand side of the CNN/Fox news screen. I walked 50 blocks home still with hope in my heart. The city that I knew was empty. I felt I was the only person here and perhaps in many ways I was. By the time I got in the doors to my apartment I received the news that he was gone."

"How could this be?" Merrill's daughter said. "I was just at his show a couple of weeks ago. I had just photographed his portrait for his new album. Texted with him earlier. He played down the 'cold' he thought he had."

"People are dying. You don?t think It?ll happen to you or your strong family. It has. Stay home if not for you...for others. For my dad. This thing is real. We probably won?t be able to mourn him properly with a funeral. I just lost the greatest love of my life and won?t be able to hug anyone because I?ve been exposed and need to self quarantine for two weeks....alone," she said.

Merrill, born Allan Preston Sachs in New York, spent time in Japan and the U.K. throughout his music career. He formed the band the Arrows, with drummer Paul Varley and guitarist Jake Hooker, in 1974 in London. They released singles including "Touch Too Much," "My Last Night With You" and "I Love Rock 'N' Roll," which he wrote with Hooker in 1975
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...zRXLymeTJqaoY0
    https://www.facebook.com/alan.merrill.3
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Toaster View Post
    RIP Alan!
    ALAN MERRILL's Wife Reveals 'Awful Truth' About His Hospital Treatment Before His Coronavirus-Related Death
    https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/al...related-death/
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Thread Information