Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Megan Meier (13) hanged herself in her closet after being cyber-bullied

Re: Megan Meier (13) hanged herself in her closet after being cyber-bullied

*BUMP*

An update,published today.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=4560582&page=2

Exclusive: Teen Talks About Her Role in Web Hoax That Led to Suicide

Teen Admits She Created Profile and Wrote Messages; Testifies Against Neighborhood Mom

'Thought It Was My Fault'
    Grills, a longtime family friend of the Drews, said she began feeling uneasy about the online hoax when Meier asked to meet Evans.

(AP Photo/ ABC)
    "She was wanting to meet him … and me and Lori's daughter were both telling Lori that we thought it was going too far 'cause none of us can meet her, none of us are guys," Grills said.

"And she [Lori Drew] was like, it's fine, you know, we can set her up. We can have her go meet him at the mall and go there and just laugh at her, and I thought that was wrong," Grills continued.

After she heard Meier had hung herself, Grills said, "I was in shock. I just — I went back and Curt [Lori Drew's husband] was yelling at us to get rid of the MySpace, so we did that. And then I just sat down and didn't say anything."

"I thought it was my fault," Grills told Roberts.

Lori Drew allegedly told Grills to keep quiet about the MySpace account. According to Grills, "[Lori Drew] had then finally mentioned that Megan was depressed and suicidal. She says, 'And maybe we pushed her overboard.'"
    Megan's parents, Tina and Ron Meier, also remained silent while Missouri officials investigated the case.

Related
    Parents React to MySpace SuicideLawyer: Mother Unaware of Cruel MessagesNo Charges in MySpace SuicideWhen the Meiers eventually went public with their story, a firestorm erupted in the community and across the country, with Grills and the Drews right in the middle.

Grills said she began getting online messages and threats. "They would tell me to kill myself and save everybody the trouble."

The last year and a half have been difficult, Grills said. She was hospitalized after she attemped to commit suicide, and she says she hardly ever leaves her house.

ABC News contacted lawyers for Lori Drew who said they stand by their original statement: "Lori Drew did not create or direct anyone to create the Josh Evans MySpace account. Although she was aware of the account, Lori Drew never sent any messages to Megan or to anyone else using this MySpace account."

Grills said she is angry at Drew, who she once viewed as a mother figure, for making her the scapegoat.

"I have a lot of anger towards her for making me feel like crap," she said. "She had -- basically she was trying to make me feel like it was my fault and make me deal with everything."

Grills said she is speaking out now in order to get the real story out to the public.

The message she wants to get across, she said, is "that I'm not heartless. I do know what I did and I take responsibility for it every day."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344269,00.html

The creator of phony profile on MySpace whose cruel messages may have led to the suicide of a 13-year-old suburban St. Louis girl has spoken out for the first time, admitting she created the site with the active participation of the mother of one of the dead teen's friends.

Megan Meier, of Dardenne Prairie, Mo., hanged herself on Oct. 16, 2006, after being dumped by "Josh," a fictitious boy created by Ashley Grills, an employee of Lori Drew, the mother of one of Megan's friends.

"We were just combining ideas about how we can figure out what Megan was saying about Lori's daughter," Grills told ABC. "It was all three of us — me and Lori and her daughter."

Grills spoke to ABC's "Good Morning America" on Tuesday, telling the network that she wrote the words "the world would be a better place without you" that may have driven Meier to take her own life.

"I was trying to get her angry so she would leave him alone and I could get rid of the whole MySpace," Grills said.

Drew and her attorney deny the allegations that the mother was involved with the hoax Web profile.

Prosecutors declined to charge anyone in the case, in part because no specific laws appeared to apply. But some communities, including Megan's hometown, have adopted, or are considering adopting, laws to go after those involved in Internet bullying.

[quote author=KillerBeautyQueen link=topic=10931.msg792890#msg792890 date=1207150689]
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344269,00.html

Grills spoke to ABC's "Good Morning America" on Tuesday, telling the network that she wrote the words "the world would be a better place without you" that may have driven Meier to take her own life.

Drew and her attorney deny the allegations that the mother was involved with the hoax Web profile.

[/quote]

I believe Grills.  Why would she admit to the world that she is the one who wrote that message but lie about Drew's involvement?

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=10931.msg791635#msg791635 date=1207068428]
    *BUMP*

An update,published today.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=4560582&page=2

Exclusive: Teen Talks About Her Role in Web Hoax That Led to Suicide

Teen Admits She Created Profile and Wrote Messages; Testifies Against Neighborhood Mom

'Thought It Was My Fault'
    Grills, a longtime family friend of the Drews, said she began feeling uneasy about the online hoax when Meier asked to meet Evans.

(AP Photo/ ABC)
    "She was wanting to meet him … and me and Lori's daughter were both telling Lori that we thought it was going too far 'cause none of us can meet her, none of us are guys," Grills said.

"And she [Lori Drew] was like, it's fine, you know, we can set her up. We can have her go meet him at the mall and go there and just laugh at her, and I thought that was wrong," Grills continued.

After she heard Meier had hung herself, Grills said, "I was in shock. I just — I went back and Curt [Lori Drew's husband] was yelling at us to get rid of the MySpace, so we did that. And then I just sat down and didn't say anything."

"I thought it was my fault," Grills told Roberts.

Lori Drew allegedly told Grills to keep quiet about the MySpace account. According to Grills, "[Lori Drew] had then finally mentioned that Megan was depressed and suicidal. She says, 'And maybe we pushed her overboard.'"
    Megan's parents, Tina and Ron Meier, also remained silent while Missouri officials investigated the case.

Related
    Parents React to MySpace SuicideLawyer: Mother Unaware of Cruel MessagesNo Charges in MySpace SuicideWhen the Meiers eventually went public with their story, a firestorm erupted in the community and across the country, with Grills and the Drews right in the middle.

Grills said she began getting online messages and threats. "They would tell me to kill myself and save everybody the trouble."

The last year and a half have been difficult, Grills said. She was hospitalized after she attemped to commit suicide, and she says she hardly ever leaves her house.

ABC News contacted lawyers for Lori Drew who said they stand by their original statement: "Lori Drew did not create or direct anyone to create the Josh Evans MySpace account. Although she was aware of the account, Lori Drew never sent any messages to Megan or to anyone else using this MySpace account."

Grills said she is angry at Drew, who she once viewed as a mother figure, for making her the scapegoat.

"I have a lot of anger towards her for making me feel like crap," she said. "She had -- basically she was trying to make me feel like it was my fault and make me deal with everything."

Grills said she is speaking out now in order to get the real story out to the public.

The message she wants to get across, she said, is "that I'm not heartless. I do know what I did and I take responsibility for it every day."

[/quote]

Bless her little heart. She's just a kid too and didn't have any idea this was going to happen. And of course, kid-bullier Lori has to attack her as well.
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=21574.msg1377077#msg1377077 date=1251870961]<br />You are every kind of fail<br />[/quote]

I drive past Dardenne Prairie when I drive from my hotel to my sister's house.
    I have... thoughts.

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=10931.msg611032#msg611032 date=1195076057]
    I've been searching for the names of the parents responsible for creating the fake myspace.&nbsp; If they can't be prosecuted for what they did, surely I can't if I send them hatemail.
    [/quote]

anyone ever find that email? cas i sure as hell would love to send some hatemail!

[quote author=lordwekner link=topic=10931.msg829732#msg829732 date=1209202483]
    anyone ever find that email? cas i sure as hell would love to send some hatemail!
    [/quote]

<br />[quote author=alexinmn link=topic=13390.msg849588#msg849588 date=1210536806]<br />I happen to like BD and SS very much. I think they would make a good couple :lol:<br />[/quote]

Anyone that thinks this &quot;grown-adult-mother&quot; shouldn't be prosecuted I ask: &quot;What world are YOU living in?&quot;

&nbsp; bitch!!

I really still don't think the mother should be prosecuted.&nbsp; What she did was stupid (and she is paying the price), but I really cannot equate it to murder.&nbsp; Do I have to fear that I may become a &quot;murderer&quot; or &quot;accessory to murder&quot; every time I say something not so nice about someone else?&nbsp; Now I ask you, &quot;What world are YOU living in?&quot;

What we got out of this case was the buzzword &quot;Internet Bully&quot;.&nbsp; Now this &quot;Internet Bully&quot; is a hated character feared by all Americans that watch Fox News.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

[quote author=ras1187 link=topic=10931.msg833355#msg833355 date=1209431516]
    I really still don't think the mother should be prosecuted.&nbsp; What she did was stupid (and she is paying the price), but I really cannot equate it to murder.&nbsp; Do I have to fear that I may become a &quot;murderer&quot; or &quot;accessory to murder&quot; every time I say something not so nice about someone else?&nbsp; Now I ask you, &quot;What world are YOU living in?&quot;

What we got out of this case was the buzzword &quot;Internet Bully&quot;.&nbsp; Now this &quot;Internet Bully&quot; is a hated character feared by all Americans that watch Fox News.
    [/quote]I agree. She didn't technically break the law, even though she's obviously a shitty individual. She'll never escape what she did. Good enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

[quote author=ras1187 link=topic=10931.msg833355#msg833355 date=1209431516]

[/quote]

maybe not prosecuted for murder.. maybe child endangerment or something of that sort. The fact reminds she's an ADULT bullying a CHILD. And as a mother, I can not see me bullying other children in retaliation for any behavior they've had towards my son. Her intentions were curel and calculated.
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

[quote author=vaga link=topic=10931.msg833536#msg833536 date=1209440186]

maybe not prosecuted for murder.. maybe child endangerment or something of that sort. The fact reminds she's an ADULT bullying a CHILD. And as a mother, I can not see me bullying other children in retaliation for any behavior they've had towards my son. Her intentions were curel and calculated.

[/quote]But what can they charge her with? I just don't see why we feel it's our responsibilty to legislate and punish every little thing...We can't have the morality police walking around arresting anyone who ever said or did a shitty thing, you know? I think what this woman did was horrible, and this whole story is beyond sad...but if she has an ounce of humanity in her soul, the knowledge that her actions caused a 13 year old girl to go over the edge and take her own life will be punishment enough...and if not, then she is just a bad person, and karma will bite her in the ass eventually.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

[quote author=MouseMama link=topic=10931.msg833554#msg833554 date=1209441353]
    But what can they charge her with? I just don't see why we feel it's our responsibilty to legislate and punish every little thing...We can't have the morality police walking around arresting anyone who ever said or did a shitty thing, you know? I think what this woman did was horrible, and this whole story is beyond sad...but if she has an ounce of humanity in her soul, the knowledge that her actions caused a 13 year old girl to go over the edge and take her own life will be punishment enough...and if not, then she is just a bad person, and karma will bite her in the ass eventually.

[/quote]Oh yeah. I mean, do you think this woman has one iota of a shot at a normal, happy life? I just asked Answer Me Jesus and he said &quot;My sources say no.&quot;
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

But what can they charge her with? I just don't see why we feel it's our responsibilty to legislate and punish every little thing...We can't have the morality police walking around arresting anyone who ever said or did a shitty thing, you know? I think what this woman did was horrible, and this whole story is beyond sad...but if she has an ounce of humanity in her soul, the knowledge that her actions caused a 13 year old girl to go over the edge and take her own life will be punishment enough...and if not, then she is just a bad person, and karma will bite her in the ass eventually.

[/quote]

This woman just represents one small, revolting fraction of a larger problem with society. &nbsp;We need to fix those people, but the minute we start filing criminal charges against people for being giant assholes, the overcrowding problem in prison will get much, much worse.

[/quote]
    Child endangerment as I said in my previous post . I&nbsp; hear what you're saying. I guess I'm completely shocked by the way an adult is so willing to mess with a chld's mind. It's not some random mean comment or act of assholeness. It was very much intended to hurt this girl and to push her. Maybe she din't realize how far it would go. Or maybe she did.. I'm not a judge or a jury , so you don't have to worry. I just have an opinion that is all. What this adult did was completely horrible. I doubt her conscience will feel much.&nbsp; and if so, I hope she lives a long life, so she'll have more days to live with what she did.

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

I'm hoping they can charge her with something.

[quote author=electricalst0rm link=topic=10931.msg833574#msg833574 date=1209442456]
    I'm hoping they can charge her with something.
    [/quote]

Didn't they say a long time ago there is nothing they can charge her with? I thought it was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

I still fear the day that I can be prosecuted for someone else's actions...

[quote author=ras1187 link=topic=10931.msg833642#msg833642 date=1209444672]
    I still fear the day that I can be prosecuted for someone else's actions...
    [/quote]

My advice, from my understanding of the legal system:
    do not hire a hitman.
    do not let your wasted friend/customer wander into his or her car.
    do not watch the game as your small child wanders unattended out by the pool.
    do not raise a dog to be insane and violent.

There, you should be fine.

You forgot &quot;Don't send mean messages on myspace&quot;

[quote author=ras1187 link=topic=10931.msg833647#msg833647 date=1209445071]
    You forgot &quot;Don't send mean messages on myspace&quot;
    [/quote]

No, there are no legal recourses for the victim's family.&nbsp; All they can do is continue to blow up this woman's mailbox and so on.&nbsp; And grow up with the excited knowledge that she's raising a little shitty kid to grow up with the same horrible values.

With the exception of hiring an assassin, I am innocent of all of those.

Also legislation is emerging in some counties to make &quot;cyber harassment&quot; a crime, wtg Ms. Drew

[quote author=ras1187 link=topic=10931.msg833653#msg833653 date=1209446250]
    With the exception of hiring an assassin, I am innocent of all of those.

Also legislation is emerging in some counties to make &quot;cyber harassment&quot; a crime, wtg Ms. Drew
    [/quote]

Just like there are certain 'restrictions' to freedom of speech, like screaming Fire in a crowded theater, or writing death threats to people, the laws do need to stretch and grow to apply to new advances in technology.&nbsp; I don't think JAIL TIME is reasonable, but I wouldn't really cry if this woman had some punishment for being a totally self-absorbed asshole.

Wow. This one really got to me. This is so sad.

+1 for reading my advice on getting karma

Thread Information