Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kanye West's mother dies after 'cosmetic procedure'

Kanye West's mother dies after 'cosmetic procedure'

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- The mother of hip-hop mogul Kanye West died following a "cosmetic procedure" in Los Angeles this weekend, her publicist told CNN Monday.

Kanye West and his mother, Donda West, in May 2006.

But Patricia Green, the publicist for Dr. Donda West, did not give details about the procedure or exactly what the cause of death was.

West died Saturday at the age of 58, confirmed a representative of West's record label, Island Def Jam, who added that "the family respectfully asks for privacy during this time of grief."

Donda West was a major influence on her son's life, as the music producer-singer-songwriter has often acknowledged.  Watch Donda West talk about "Raising Kanye" ยป

She was the inspiration for the song, "Hey Mama," on Kanye West's 2005 album "Late Registration." Among the lyrics: "Hey Mama, I wanna scream so loud for you, cuz I'm so proud of you ... I appreciate what you allowed for me. I just want you to be proud of me."

Earlier this year, she released a book she co-authored called "Raising Kanye: Life Lessons From the Mother of a Hip-Hop Superstar."

West retired from her post as professor and chair of the English Department at Chicago State University in 2004 to become her son's manager, according to the Kanye West Foundation Web site.

Kanye West's writing partner Rhymefest lamented Donda West's death Sunday in an appearance on Chicago radio station WCGI, the AP reported.

"She was everyone's mom," Rhymefest said. "A spirit never dies, a spirit lasts forever."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Musi...est/index.html

Re: Kanye West's mother dies after 'cosmetic procedure'

:-(  Sad..the unexpected death of a parent is really tough to get over.  I hope he stays strong, because it's really easy to get weak and self destruct.  If you get along well with parents, the only death harder to deal with is your kids I'd imagine.  I'm sad for him.

News snippets:

New York Daily News is reporting:

Kanye mom's plastic surgeon had history of malpractice suits.

The plastic surgeon who operated on rapper Kanye West's mom has a history of DUI arrests and could lose his medical license for alcohol abuse.

Adams has been sued for malpractice at least 10 times in Southern California since 1996, including six suits in Orange County in the last two years. He's been ordered to pay six-figure judgments on at least three, records show.

Dr. Jan Adams performed tummy tuck and breast reduction surgery on Donda West, 58, who died Saturday at Centinela Freeman Regional Medical Center in Marina del Rey after she stopped breathing at her home.

Celebrity plastic surgeon Dr. Jan Adams in a 2002 photo. He has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show and has his own program on The Discovery Channel.

Kanye West's mom joined him on stage in 2006. The plastic surgeon who operated on her just before she died of heart failure has faced malpractice suits and allegedly abused alcohol.

Further informationcan be found at the following link:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2007/11/13/2007-11-13_kanye_moms_plastic_surgeon_had_history_o-2.html

Psych ward&#039;s upstairs ... Morgue is downstairs ... My office is offlimits<br /><br />&quot;The drugs don&#039;t make me high, they make me neutral.&quot;

:-( Damn. That's really sad. As if that guy's medical license wasn't taken away sooner!

That's horrible. Isn't the number one rule of elective surgeries (or any surgery for that matter) to fully research the person who is going to be operating on you? The malpractice suits are public record, or am I wrong?

the video from his concert in paris last saturday as so heart breaking. he was about to sing his song &quot;hey momma&quot; and he totally broke down on stage. :(

[youtube=425,350]X7C4mtmXE2w[/youtube]

I heard Eminem is trying to get his mom an appointment with this guy.

[quote author=Kande04 link=topic=10875.msg618595#msg618595 date=1195545000]
    That's horrible. Isn't the number one rule of elective surgeries (or any surgery for that matter) to fully research the person who is going to be operating on you? The malpractice suits are public record, or am I wrong?
    [/quote]

That's what I was thinking.
    I'm sure they would have investigated him first. Wasn't his mum an actual doctor??

Although i'm not too sure about malpractice... Doesn't every doctor have their share of lawsuits?
    Even though people are informed that when done properly there are still real risks of complications and death people still can't accept it when it happens and try to sue afterwards?

That said, repeated DUIs do make him look very dodgy..

What would cause heart failure though?? Rather than a heart attack. Fluid problems/disrupted electrolytes? Stress of the surgery on her body?

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=10875.msg618611#msg618611 date=1195546658]
    the video from his concert in paris last saturday as so heart breaking. he was about to sing his song &quot;hey momma&quot; and he totally broke down on stage. :(

[youtube=425,350]X7C4mtmXE2w[/youtube]
    [/quote]
    when I watched this video, I wanted to cry.&nbsp; All my feelings about him aside, how heartbreaking for him.&nbsp; They were so close, and this is so sudden and tragic, not that any death is REALLY expected.&nbsp; I hope he has a really strong support team around him.&nbsp;

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=10875.msg618630#msg618630 date=1195547990]
    when I watched this video, I wanted to cry.&nbsp; All my feelings about him aside, how heartbreaking for him.&nbsp; They were so close, and this is so sudden and tragic, not that any death is REALLY expected.&nbsp; I hope he has a really strong support team around him.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

i hope this will finally humble him and bring him back to reality.

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=10875.msg618632#msg618632 date=1195548081]
    i hope this will finally humble him and bring him back to reality.
    [/quote]
    I get the feeling he was a mama's boy, which is also why he's kind of an ass.&nbsp; And by kind of, I mean, 99% of the time, a raging ass.

Olivia

Dr Jan David - the guy who did the surgery - is going to be on Larry King tonight!

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=10875.msg618898#msg618898 date=1195578136]
    Dr Jan David - the guy who did the surgery - is going to be on Larry King tonight!
    [/quote]

Cool. I hope Larry asks for a procedure.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

[quote author=andyniz link=topic=10875.msg619152#msg619152 date=1195585625]
    Cool. I hope Larry asks for a procedure.
    [/quote]:lol:

From Perez:
    The plastic surgeon blamed by many for the death of Kanye Westโ€™s mother is beginning his media assault to attempt to clean up his image.

Heโ€™s got a lot of work to do!

Jan Adams has lost multiple malpractice suits, has been arrested for DUI multiple times, has been accused of sexual assault and settled that case, and his ex-wife took out a restraining order against him.

Tonight, the shady doc will be on Larry King Live.

On Monday, he spoke to the Los Angeles Times for this interview, which ran today.

Adams speculates that Kanyeโ€™s mom may have accidentally overdosed on painkillers.

The dirty Dr. also asserts, โ€œWhen she left this office, there was no problem whatsoever.โ€

Adams claims he knows โ€œexactlyโ€ what caused Donda Westโ€™s death but he is refusing to comment until he sees the coronerโ€™s report in a few weeks.

Of the multiple malpractice suits against him, Jan defends himself by saying, โ€œYes, there have been some malpractice suits, but 99% of them are what we in this business call nuisance suits.โ€

Many of the suits, he claims, were the result of patients not being happy with the way a scar healed, though they had been warned about how it might look.

โ€œWhen you look at the suits critically, what you find is those people who sue are those people who couldnโ€™t afford it in the first place,โ€ Adams says. โ€ And so theyโ€™re trying to recoup their money and theyโ€™re looking for anything wrong.โ€

Typical!

Blame everyone else BUT yourself.

Douche!
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

when having the surgery, don't you have to sign a waiver stating you know and understand all the complications that can go wrong. i did that. and i agree that if you having this type of procedure that you should do a through search on them

I'll be interested to hear the results of the autopsy... sounds dodgy to me

She DID look INCREDIBLE for her age. Now we know why.

Kanye's a douche. It's very sad that this happened... but he's still a douche. That is all.

It's strange that someone as intelligent as she was would make such a vain decision to undergo elective cosmetic surgery.&nbsp; What is this world coming too?

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=10875.msg618614#msg618614 date=1195546879]
    I heard Eminem is trying to get his mom an appointment with this guy.
    [/quote]

I needed that, thank you! :)

[quote author=Smallville78 link=topic=10875.msg619623#msg619623 date=1195603760]
    when having the surgery, don't you have to sign a waiver stating you know and understand all the complications that can go wrong. i did that. and i agree that if you having this type of procedure that you should do a through search on them
    [/quote]
    It's for all the complications that are legally not through malpractice by the doctor.&nbsp; But if the doctor is found to have fucked up in a major way i.e showing up and cutting you open drunk, or not having medical equipment that's up-to-date and approved, they can be charged.&nbsp; One thing is for sure: Kanye has enough money to make sure this guy never operates on anyone again.

[quote author=Non Jovi link=topic=10875.msg618623#msg618623 date=1195547555]
    Wasn't his mum an actual doctor??
    [/quote]
    Yes, but ... Not a medical Doctor. &nbsp;
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2264808/bio
    Earned a bachelor's degree in English from Virginia Union University in 1971 and a PhD from Auburn University in 1980. She was also a Fulbright scholar who studied in Nanjing, China.

Was professor and chair of the English Department at Chicago State University from 1980 to 2004, and retired to become her son's manager.

Former chairwoman of Chicago State University's English department.

lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=Fleta link=topic=10875.msg619646#msg619646 date=1195604622]
    I'll be interested to hear the results of the autopsy... sounds dodgy to me

She DID look INCREDIBLE for her age. Now we know why.

Kanye's a douche. It's very sad that this happened... but he's still a douche. That is all.
    [/quote]Agreed.

[quote author=TaraJoy link=topic=10875.msg619729#msg619729 date=1195608099]
    It's strange that someone as intelligent as she was would make such a vain decision to undergo elective cosmetic surgery.&nbsp; What is this world coming too?

[/quote]I think there are worse things in the world. I don't consider myself a particularly vain person. The last time I wore makeup was two months ago, and that was only because it was my best friend's wedding. I also consider myself intelligent, and I'm definitely getting new boobies when I can afford them.

P.S. I love your name.

deliberate_misuse

[quote author=TaraJoy link=topic=10875.msg619729#msg619729 date=1195608099]

[/quote]

Stop with the histrionics; intelligent people have elective surgery every day.&nbsp; There are risks associated with any surgical procedure.&nbsp; Those risks are small, but they exist.

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=10875.msg619998#msg619998 date=1195616461]
    Stop with the histrionics; intelligent people have elective surgery every day.&nbsp; There are risks associated with any surgical procedure.&nbsp; Those risks are small, but they exist.
    [/quote]

Yeah, just because you're smart doesn't mean you don't suffer from feelings of inadequacy.

deliberate_misuse

Donda West's plastic surgeon walks off the set of the Larry King show:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071121/ap_en_ce/donda_west_surgeon;_ylt=Ah8ujgLxUyGsMb5poKYDO4ys0N UE

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=10875.msg620042#msg620042 date=1195618270]
    Yeah, just because you're smart doesn't mean you don't suffer from feelings of inadequacy.
    [/quote]Exactly. And- I don't even feel I'm inadequate- I just want new boobs, because I want them. I don't feel that it will make me a better person. I just feel that I have mommy boobs.

Exhibit A has nothing to do with Exhibit B, if you will.

Thread Information