Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Amanda Knox (20) was acquitted of playing a role in the assault and murder of her flatmate

Amanda Knox (20) was acquitted of playing a role in the assault and murder of her flatmate

UPDATED!

Amanda Knox acquitted of murder

PERUGIA, Italy - American student Amanda Knox, who was convicted by an Italian court for the 2007 murder of her roommate Meredith Kercher, was acquitted today by an appeals court.

Her murder conviction in the 2007 slaying of her roommate Meredith Kercher was thrown out by the jury, and she was ordered immediately released from prison after nearly four years of detention.

Knox collapsed in tears after the verdict was read out Monday.

Her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito was also found not guilty.

Knox and Sollecito had been convicted in 2009 of sexually assaulting and murdering Kercher, who was stabbed to death in her bedroom. She was found in a pool of blood and covered by a duvet the following day.

Knox was sentenced to 26 years in prison, Sollecito to 25. Also convicted in separate proceedings was Rudy Hermann Guede, an Ivorian man. They all denied wrongdoing.

The Kercher family looked on grimly as the verdict was read out by the judge after 11 hours of deliberations by the eight-member jury. Outside the courthouse, some of the hundreds of observers shouted "Shame, shame!"

As the verdict was announced, about a dozen supporters from the group called Friends of Amanda, gathered at a downtown Seattle hotel to watch the proceedings on TV, burst into applause and cheered. They began chanting, "She's free!" and "We did it!"

Earlier Monday, as hundreds of reporters and cameras filled the underground, frescoed courtroom, Knox tearfully told the Italian appeals court she did not kill her British roommate, pleading for the court to free her so she can return to the United States after four years behind bars. The court began deliberations moments later. Knox frequently paused for breath and fought back tears as she spoke in Italian to the six members of the jury and two judges in a packed courtroom, but managed to maintain her composure during the 10-minute address.

"I've lost a friend in the worst, most brutal, most inexplicable way possible," she said of the 2007 murder of Meredith Kercher, a 21-year-old Briton who shared an apartment with Knox when they were both students in Perugia. "I'm paying with my life for things that I didn't do."

"She had her bedroom next to mine, she was killed in our own apartment. If I had been there that night, I would be dead," Knox said. "But I was not there."

"I did not kill. I did not rape. I did not steal. I wasn't there. I wasn't there at the crime," Knox said.

"48 Hours Mystery" correspondent Peter Van Sant reports that Knox appealed to the jury - members of which wept openly during her statement - to reverse the conviction and let her return home.

"I insist I'm innocent and that must be defended. I just want to go home, go back to my life," she told the court through tears.

Van Sant says Knox's words brought tears even to the eyes of some journalists in the room.

Minutes before, an anxious Sollecito also addressed the court to proclaim his innocence and plead for his release from prison.

"I never hurt anyone, never in my life," Sollecito said, shifting as he spoke and stopping to sip water. He said at the time of the murder he was in a great period of his life, close to defending his thesis to graduate from university and having just met Knox.

The weekend Kercher was murdered was the first the pair planned to spend together "in tenderness and cuddles," he said.

At the end of his 17-minute address, Sollecito took off a white rubber bracelet emblazoned with "Free Amanda and Raffaele" that he said he was been wearing for four years.

"I have never taken it off. Many emotions are concentrated in this bracelet," he said. "Now I want to pay homage to the court. The moment to take it off has arrived."
    The Kerchers have arrived in a Perugia hotel and are expected to be in court for the verdict.

Speaking this morning, Stephanie Kercher said her sister "has been most forgotten" in the media circus surrounding the high-profile trial.

"As long as they decide today based purely on the information available to them and they don't look into the media hype, I think justice will be found," she told reporters.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20114867.shtml

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2007...f_her_flatmate

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7080400.stm

Three people are being questioned by Italian police over UK student Meredith Kercher's death on grounds of sexual violence and premeditated murder.

According to reports, all three had been at the house in Perugia, Italy, where Miss Kercher, 21, of Coulsdon, south London, was found dead.

They include her American housemate, Amanda Knox, aged 20, and Miss Knox's boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, 24.

Also questioned was Lumumba Diya, 37, a legal Congolese immigrant.

Arturo De Felice, Perugia's police chief, told a press conference that she died fighting off a sexual attack.

He said that Miss Kercher was a "victim and nothing more".

Amanda Knox myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=6527257
    Last edited by Olivia; 10-03-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Re: Amanda Knox (20) has confessed to playing a role in murder of flatmate

Where the hell have you been, misery?? 
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=10779.msg598634#msg598634 date=1194372688]
    [/quote]
    Framing Italian men for murder.

Check out Amanda Knox's blog.
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=652725 7&blogID=319196246

Monday, October 15, 2007

Finally...A Little Bit of Italy
    Current mood:  thoughtful

Wow. Sorry about the wait. I've been taking care of life. I've actually been living in Italy for about a month now and I've had classes for two weeks so far. Everything is going great. My house is awesome, we just got a washing machine the other day, though it was borken. Luckily, Laura started dating a hadnyman so he came over and fixed it for us. I didnt Know he spent the night until in the morning when he walked out of the bathroom in his underwear. Unfortunately i burst out laughing, not because he's scrawny or anything, but because Laura had been complaining a couple days previously that she hadnt gotten laid in a long time. Forsa Laura!

As for school, my classes are divided into grammer class, culture class, oral/talking class, and pronunciation class. I don't have all of them everyday, so it works out that my tuesdays and thursdays are pretty full, but i have the whole afternoon of monday, wednesday and friday to myself to play guitar, wlak around, hang out with friends, or study, which is how i spend my free time. That, and answering emails.

I'm eating so well. Not eating a lot, but just eating well. I eat every meal at home, and I usually make for myself a salad or a few small sandwiches and a biscotti after. mmmm....I really like the italian lifestyle. everything shuts down in the middle of the day so everyone can have a 3 hour lunch break. i love it. i wish we had that in america. i think americans work to much and dont live. Having that time in the middle of the day reminds you that life really isnt all about going to work and making money. its about who you are and what you choose to do and who you choose to spend your time with.

Speaking of working, I've been working everynight (except for monday night) from 10pm to 230am at a bar called Le Chic. Its a really small place owned by this man from the congo. his name is patrick. my other fellow employee is a guy from algeria who is a crazy good dancer and yet still really likes dancing with me. havent quite figured that one out.

other than that i miss the people i love, and you know who you are. ive made plenty of friends here, and i have alot of fun. im actually at one of my most happiest places right now, but i still miss those people i love.

vi voglio bene, amanda
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=10779.msg598643#msg598643 date=1194373065]
    Framing Italian men for murder.

Check out Amanda Knox's blog.
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=652725 7&blogID=319196246

Monday, October 15, 2007

Finally...A Little Bit of Italy
    Current mood:  thoughtful

Wow. Sorry about the wait. I've been taking care of life. I've actually been living in Italy for about a month now and I've had classes for two weeks so far. Everything is going great. My house is awesome, we just got a washing machine the other day, though it was borken. Luckily, Laura started dating a hadnyman so he came over and fixed it for us. I didnt Know he spent the night until in the morning when he walked out of the bathroom in his underwear. Unfortunately i burst out laughing, not because he's scrawny or anything, but because Laura had been complaining a couple days previously that she hadnt gotten laid in a long time. Forsa Laura!

As for school, my classes are divided into grammer class, culture class, oral/talking class, and pronunciation class. I don't have all of them everyday, so it works out that my tuesdays and thursdays are pretty full, but i have the whole afternoon of monday, wednesday and friday to myself to play guitar, wlak around, hang out with friends, or study, which is how i spend my free time. That, and answering emails.

I'm eating so well. Not eating a lot, but just eating well. I eat every meal at home, and I usually make for myself a salad or a few small sandwiches and a biscotti after. mmmm....I really like the italian lifestyle. everything shuts down in the middle of the day so everyone can have a 3 hour lunch break. i love it. i wish we had that in america. i think americans work to much and dont live. Having that time in the middle of the day reminds you that life really isnt all about going to work and making money. its about who you are and what you choose to do and who you choose to spend your time with.

Speaking of working, I've been working everynight (except for monday night) from 10pm to 230am at a bar called Le Chic. Its a really small place owned by this man from the congo. his name is patrick. my other fellow employee is a guy from algeria who is a crazy good dancer and yet still really likes dancing with me. havent quite figured that one out.

other than that i miss the people i love, and you know who you are. ive made plenty of friends here, and i have alot of fun. im actually at one of my most happiest places right now, but i still miss those people i love.

vi voglio bene, amanda

[/quote]

Patrick and "Also questioned was Lumumba Diya, 37, a legal Congolese immigrant" are one in the same.

I wish I knew what happened!!  Are they saying her roommate had something to do with it?  I see where Patrick is Amanda's boss at the club she worked at.  I also noticed that Amanda logged into her myspace yesterday.

[size=15pt]Roommates. [/size]

The American flatmate of murdered Meredith Kercher has claimed she covered her ears as the British student screamed, Italian police have said.

Amanda Knox, 20, has given a partial confession, but keeps changing her story, police in Perugia say.

Miss Knox, her boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 24, and Congolese immigrant Patrick Lumumba, 37 are all being questioned about the murder.

Miss Kercher, 21, from Coulsdon, south London, was found with her throat cut.

Perugia's police chief Arturo De Felice said all three suspects had given different versions of events.

Miss Knox, he said, "crumbled" under interrogation and claimed she was in the kitchen of the apartment she shared with Miss Kercher when Mr Lumumba went into the Briton's bedroom alone.

She told police she then heard screaming from the room, but covered her ears to block out the noise.

It continues:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7082281.stm

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=10779.msg598634#msg598634 date=1194372688]
    [/quote]

Hi there, I've been about, checking in from time to time :) Hope everyone is well!

[quote author=miseryguts link=topic=10779.msg599760#msg599760 date=1194444381]
    The American flatmate of murdered Meredith Kercher has claimed she covered her ears as the British student screamed, Italian police have said.

Amanda Knox, 20, has given a partial confession, but keeps changing her story, police in Perugia say.

Miss Knox, her boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 24, and Congolese immigrant Patrick Lumumba, 37 are all being questioned about the murder.

Miss Kercher, 21, from Coulsdon, south London, was found with her throat cut.

Perugia's police chief Arturo De Felice said all three suspects had given different versions of events.

Miss Knox, he said, "crumbled" under interrogation and claimed she was in the kitchen of the apartment she shared with Miss Kercher when Mr Lumumba went into the Briton's bedroom alone.

She told police she then heard screaming from the room, but covered her ears to block out the noise.

It continues:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7082281.stm
    [/quote]

She covered her ears so she wouldn't hear her friend screaming!!  The bitch.  Can she be charged as accessory to murder?  I sure do hope so.  Meredith was most likely raped and then had her throat slashed.  The poor girl.

RIP Meredith

[quote author=Onthedarkside link=topic=10779.msg599786#msg599786 date=1194445277]
    She covered her ears so she wouldn't hear her friend screaming!!  The bitch.  Can she be charged as accessory to murder?  I sure do hope so.  Meredith was most likely raped and then had her throat slashed.  The poor girl.

RIP Meredith
    [/quote]
    I dunno. We don't know what exactly went down, so don't come down on her yet.
    There could have been a "shut up bitch, or your next!" vibe in that house during all of this.
    And it's not like she's some pro-wrestling chick. She's not Batgirl.
    She doesn't fight crime, and she doesn't get paid to beat people up.

Not doing anything in a situation like this isn't the same as not calling in a fire. We don't know everything yet.

But 3 stories from 3 people does sound shady. :lol:
    I mean, why lie if you have nothing to hide? This should get interesting. I heard last night Knox was being questioned as a suspect.
    I wonder if things are getting lost in translation. That would make more sense than 3 different stories!

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=10779.msg599806#msg599806 date=1194445836]
    There could have been a "shut up bitch, or your next!" vibe in that house during all of this.

Not doing anything in a situation like this isn't the same as not calling in a fire. We don't know everything yet.

I mean, why lie if you have nothing to hide? This should get interesting. I heard last night Knox was being questioned as a suspect.
    I wonder if things are getting lost in translation. That would make more sense than 3 different stories!
    [/quote]

Your right Ron.  I should not have been so quick to judge.  Maybe Amanda was being held with a knife to her throat while her friend was being raped and murdered.  I sure hope so.  But if she was in the kitchen, by herself and heard her friend screaming and did nothing then that is a different story.  That is just plain cold hearted.

I will keep my mind open until more info comes in though.  Thanks for helping me see the light of reason.

RIP Meredith

ETA:
    According to this article I found Meredith was not raped.

"Luca Lalli, the pathologist who carried out the post mortem examination, said that there was no evidence to suggest sexual violence against Miss Kercher. Police later said they were considering the possibility that the murder may have been the work of two people."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=0K5D1UZUJV4PTQFIQMFSFFWAVCBQ 0IV0?xml=/news/2007/11/06/wkercher106.xml

[quote author=Onthedarkside link=topic=10779.msg599826#msg599826 date=1194446651]
    Your right Ron.  I should not have been so quick to judge.  Maybe Amanda was being held with a knife to her throat while her friend was being raped and murdered.  I sure hope so.  But if she was in the kitchen, by herself and heard her friend screaming and did nothing then that is a different story.  That is just plain cold hearted.

I will keep my mind open until more info comes in though.  Thanks for helping me see the light of reason.

RIP Meredith
    [/quote]
    :lol: No problem.
    I just notice that people are quick to question how someone could be there and NOT stop it.
    Not everyone is trained to handle the situation.
    One hears about some heinous crime, and they think if they were there, things would be different.
    When in reality, you could be lying next to the dead person.
    And at the same time, when there are multiple victims, folks wanna know why they didn't 'just run away'

I really jump out when it's a petite woman (sorry ladies)
    but if a 5'1" 110lbs. girl is being assaulted and her 5'3" 125lbs. friend does nothing, you can't fault her.
    Hell, your average guy could be lying there dead too. You never know what was going on, and things happen so quickly.

Not coming down on you OTDS, I wwas just ranting.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=10779.msg599806#msg599806 date=1194445836]

[/quote]

...and there's the Ron I missed when I was away :)
    You are quite right, everything is sketchy at the moment and I guess there may well be a language issue, I have been a bit obsessed with the Madeleine McCann search and the language issue shines through loud and clear with the daily portuguese press leaks that take half the day to translate correctly so there is very reason to believe it could be the same here. She just seems such a sweet girl on her myspace, but if there's one thing mydeathspace has taught me it's never to believe what you see on myspace ;)

[quote author=miseryguts link=topic=10779.msg599838#msg599838 date=1194447143]
    ...and there's the Ron I missed when I was away :)
    You are quite right, everything is sketchy at the moment and I guess there may well be a language issue, I have been a bit obsessed with the Madeleine McCann search and the language issue shines through loud and clear with the daily portuguese press leaks that take half the day to translate correctly so there is very reason to believe it could be the same here. She just seems such a sweet girl on her myspace, but if there's one thing mydeathspace has taught me it's never to believe what you see on myspace ;)
    [/quote]
    Hey Misery. WB.....I think.

ETA:

"Luca Lalli, the pathologist who carried out the post mortem examination, said that there was no evidence to suggest sexual violence against Miss Kercher. Police later said they were considering the possibility that the murder may have been the work of two people."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=0K5D1UZUJV4PTQFIQMFSFFWAVCBQ 0IV0?xml=/news/2007/11/06/wkercher106.xml

The plot just thickened.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=10779.msg599839#msg599839 date=1194447295]
    Hey Misery. WB.....I think.

ETA:

The plot just thickened.
    [/quote]

Yes it seems there is a bit of confusion in the press, my bbc article was updated this afternoon while the telegraph one updated early hours of the morning so it may be less up to date, or they might both be a bit too much speculation rather than reality... hmmm, wait and see I guess.

"A post mortem examination revealed she had been killed with a small pocket knife at about 2am. The door to her bedroom was locked from the inside and the rear window smashed. However there was no sign of forced entry into the house, suggesting she let the killer in voluntarily.

Finger prints, believed to belong to her killer, were found on her mobile phone and scattered around her bedroom."
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/05/wperugia205.xml

All these articles that I am reading are really confusing me.  I will keep digging for more info.

People are already going nuts on Amanda's myspace blog.  :|  Wouldn't be fun sorting through all that if she didn't do it.

RIP Meredith

[quote author=decorusnex link=topic=10779.msg599875#msg599875 date=1194449105]
    People are already going nuts on Amanda's myspace blog.  :|  Wouldn't be fun sorting through all that if she didn't do it.

RIP Meredith
    [/quote]

I noticed that, there was no nasty comments there yesterday before I posted her myspace on MDS, when I went to check today I thought good god MDS lurkers are getting stuck in  :-o

Always the lurkers, never the posters....

[quote author=decorusnex link=topic=10779.msg599875#msg599875 date=1194449105]

RIP Meredith
    [/quote]
    "When are you are going to add violent sex orgies and murder to your interests?"

:lol:

[quote author=miseryguts link=topic=10779.msg599880#msg599880 date=1194449263]
    I noticed that, there was no nasty comments there yesterday before I posted her myspace on MDS, when I went to check today I thought good god MDS lurkers are getting stuck in  :-o

Always the lurkers, never the posters....
    [/quote]
    THAT IS THE FUCKIN TRUTH!!!

Just took a look at Amanda's blog.  Can't believe all the haters that are posting on there.  They have really come out of the woodwork in the last 24 hours.  I hope none of them are MDS members.

This might be Amanda's boyfriend but I don't use live windows or whatever it is called so limited information.

http://spaces.live.com/profile.aspx?action=view&cid=20051863261606450 3

[quote author=miseryguts link=topic=10779.msg600042#msg600042 date=1194454725]
    This might be Amanda's boyfriend but I don't use live windows or whatever it is called so limited information.

http://spaces.live.com/profile.aspx?action=view&cid=20051863261606450 3
    [/quote]

I signed in with msn and didn't see no more information.  But I am like you I do believe it is Amanda's boyfriend.

deliberate_misuse

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2007/11/08/Amanda_Knox_(20)_has_confessed_to_playing_a_role_i n_the_assault_and_murder_of_her_flatmate

I, for one, cannot wait to hear the tawdry details.

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=10810.msg600694#msg600694 date=1194491703]
    http://mydeathspace.com/article/2007/11/08/Amanda_Knox_(20)_has_confessed_to_playing_a_role_i n_the_assault_and_murder_of_her_flatmate

I, for one, cannot wait to hear the tawdry details.
    [/quote]

Me Either! And they can throw the Wantan one's in at anytime as well. For as much as was written in that article it gave us no real info.  I mean other than what a mirror site is, lol. I really would like to know what actually transpired. This is quite strange.

Some of the details are already appearing online. I came across the story a day or two ago and took a quick glimpse at Amanda KNOX's Myspace account. Her entries hint at her disturbed psychological makeup. After reading some of the entries are stories about rape, one could argue premeditation. Her boyfriend's web log has a photo of him wielding a meat cleaver. On both sites, Amanda KNOX and her boyfriend describe themselves as crazy. In any case, the entries definitely hint at violent tendencies. I've not come across any internet logs regarding the third suspect.

It should be noted that over the past 24 hours, the European media has pounced on the news item and began posting salacious details. After reading a news article, I discovered that Amanda Knox has since removed her Facebook profile from the Facebook directory and made her public MySpace profile private.

After a lengthy interview with investigators Amanda KNOX finally confessed as to what had happened. I don't believe it has been determined if she herself participated in the murder. 3 suspects, 3 accounts as to what happened, and a foreign student found dead.
    Psych ward&#039;s upstairs ... Morgue is downstairs ... My office is offlimits<br /><br />&quot;The drugs don&#039;t make me high, they make me neutral.&quot;

Thread Information