Thread: Indian Girl Recovering After Risky Surgery to Remove Four Extra Limbs

Indian Girl Recovering After Risky Surgery to Remove Four Extra Limbs

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23419627-details/Toddler+with+eight+limbs+branded+'reincarnation+of +Hindu+god'+to+undergo+life-saving+operation/article.do

A toddler born with eight limbs and believed by some to be the reincarnation of the multi-limbed Hindu goddess Vishnu, is set to undergo a 40-hour operation to remove half of her limbs.

Lakshmi Tatma was born joined to a 'parasitic twin' and will go under the knife at the hands of 30 surgeons to remove two of her useless arms and legs.

Torment: Lakshmi can not walk or crawl and is unlikely to survive her teens without surgery

The headless 'twin' is joined to Lakshmi at the pelvis and has its own spinal column and kidney.

Without the operation the little girl would never be able to walk or crawl and would be unlikely to live past her early teens, doctors said.

The extraordinary eight-limbed baby was born in a poverty-stricken region of Bihar, India - on the day devoted to the celebration of the four-armed Hindu deity Vishnu.

Fused: Lakshmi's body is joined with the parasitical twin which is attached to her body at her pelvis
    Enlarge the image

Her mother Poonam Tatma said she believed her daughter was "a miracle, a reincarnation" of Vishnu.

Dr Sharan Patil, who will be leading the surgery at the country's Narayana Health City, in Bangalore, said: "Fortunately, Lakshmi has one complete body with a near perfect set of organs.

"Her skeletal system involves two bodies which are fused together at the level of the pelvis.

"The operation itself, although presents several challenges, is not the most complex in the world. What is highly unusual in Lakshmi's case is precisely how her bodies are fused, almost mirroring each other."

The Hindu god Vishnu is the preserver and protector of creation

Parents Poonam Devi and Shambu Das, who earn about 50p a day as casual labourers, were turned away from several hospitals before her plight was taken up by Dr Patil.

The operation is expected to cost about £100,000.

Hope: Lakshmi and mother Poonam prepare for the operation

Poonam, who gave birth to Lakshmi on the celebration day of the four-armed Hindu goddess of wealth and prosperity after whom the new born was named, said: "She is a miracle, a special blessing from God. But she is my daughter and she cannot live like this."

Laskhmi is the subject of a Channel 4 documentary as part of the Bodyshocks series.

Re: Vishnu incarnate.

Gross. Looks like a spider.

Hope she heals well.
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

Oh my goodness.
    I believe I have seen it all now. 

Hope you do well in your surgery little girl.

I have the Spider-Man theme stuck in my head now.  :oops:
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

Indian Girl Recovering After Risky Surgery to Remove Four Extra Limbs

wow, this is bizarre...check out the pictures.  i'm glad she's doing well.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,308979,00.html

BANGALORE, India —  Doctors in India completed a grueling 24-hour operation Wednesday on a girl born with four arms and four legs, and surgeons said the 2-year-old — revered by many as a reincarnated goddess — has a chance at a normal life.

The surgery went "wonderfully well," said Dr. Sharan Patil who led a team of more than 30 surgeons at a hospital in the southern city of Bangalore that performed the marathon procedure to remove the child's extra limbs, salvage her organs and rebuild her pelvis area.

Doctors say the operation will give Lakshmi, a girl from rural northern India, a chance to start life again after two years in which her parents hid her from deeply superstitious villagers — who alternately revered her as a Hindu deity and tried to buy her for a circus.

"This girl can now lead as good a life as anyone else," Patil said.

Lakshmi was born joined at the pelvis to a "parasitic twin" that stopped developing in the mother's womb. The surviving fetus absorbed the limbs, kidneys and some other body parts of the undeveloped fetus.

The doctors worked through the night to remove the extra limbs and organs. By midnight, a team of neurologists had separated the fused spines while orthopedic surgeons removed most of the "parasite," carefully identifying which organs and internal structures belonged to the girl, Patil said.

Then began the difficult job of reconstructing the girl's lower body.

The operation included transplanting a good kidney into Lakshmi from the twin. The team also used tissue from the twin to help rebuild the pelvic area, one of the most complicated parts of the surgery, said Patil.

"Beyond our expectations, the reconstruction worked wonderfully well," Patil said. "We were able to bring the pelvic bones together successfully, which takes away the need for another procedure."

However, she will need more treatment and possible surgery for clubbed feet before she will be able to walk, he said.

Lakshmi's parents, who were expected to see the girl later Wednesday, said they were very relieved.

"It will be great to see our daughter have a normal body," her father Shambhu, who only goes by one name, told reporters. "We were worried for her future."

Children born with deformities in deeply traditional rural parts of India, like Lakshmi's remote village in the northern state of Bihar, are often viewed as reincarnated gods. The young girl is no different — she is named after the four-armed Hindu goddess of wealth.

"Everybody considers her a goddess at our village," said her father.

However, some wanted to make money from Lakshmi. Her parents said they kept her in hiding after a circus apparently tried to buy her.

Doctors at Sparsh Hospital in Bangalore estimated the surgery cost US$625,000 (euro427,000), but they did it for free because the girl's family could not afford it.

"We are very grateful to all the doctors for seeing our plight and deciding to help us," Shambhu said.

Re: Indian Girl Recovering After Risky Surgery to Remove Four Extra Limbs

Thanks for the update Maven.  But we already have a thread about this little girl.  Maybe one of the mods will come and combine the two!!

http://mydeathspace.com/smf/index.php?topic=10766.0

Thanks for posting this story.I'm really happy to see that the hospital did this surgery for free,since the parents couldn't afford it.This reminds me that human beings can do just as much to help each other as they can to hurt each other.
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

Maybe it's just because I don't have my contacts in, but in the second picture it totally looks like that little girl is giving birth to her own twin. Blagh.

I'm glad she's getting the help she needs.

there was a press conference today.&nbsp; She is pretty much out of the woods and eating solid food.&nbsp; They reconstructed her pelvis, rearranged her organs and repositioned her legs.&nbsp;
    They let her keep the third kidney of her parasitic twin.&nbsp; so if the other two conk out, she still got the extra hehehe.
    I was wondering if the other organs of the parasitic twin where viable and able to be donated.&nbsp; there is no mention, so i guess not.&nbsp;

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/11/13/india.girl/index.html

I showed this story to all my classes and they were amazed.&nbsp; they love stuff like this.&nbsp; they had so many questions.&nbsp; I being a teacher.

I updated this with the info I created a new topic with.

There are pictures associated with this article and here are two other articles with pictures.&nbsp; She's a pretty little girl.&nbsp; I will be interested on how everything turns out for her.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,331158,00.html
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311117,00.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/18/wlakshmi118.xml
    __________________________________________________ _
    With the help of a walker, the 2-year-old Indian girl born with eight limbs has taken her first steps, it is reported by the U.K.'s Daily Telegraph.

Lakshmi Tatma was born joined at the pelvis to a &quot;parasitic twin&quot; that stopped developing in her mother's womb. The surviving fetus absorbed the limbs, kidneys and other body parts of the undeveloped twin.

A team of more than 30 surgeons performed a 24-hour operation on Nov. 7 at the Sparsh hospital in Bangalore, India, the capital of southern Karnataka state. They removed the extra limbs, transplanted a kidney from the twin and reconstructed Lakshmi's pelvic area.

Lakshmi's mother Poonam said her daughter, named for the six-limbed Hindu goddess, gets closer to being a &quot;normal child&quot; with each day that passes, the Daily Telegraph reported.

&quot;Lakshmi always knew she was different,&quot; the girl's mother told Channel 4. &quot;After the operation she instinctively started behaving like a normal child — it's like she had always been waiting for the opportunity.&quot;

&quot;When she was put in the baby walker she started pushing herself backwards with her legs and burst into laughter with a huge grin on her face,&quot; Poonam Tatma said in the report. &quot;She loves it.&quot;

im glad she got the help she needed...
    but that seriously made me sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Thread Information