Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Am i morbid?

Re: Am i morbid?

[quote author=brascolaw link=topic=1519.msg56245#msg56245 date=1159048798]
    [quote author=wordman262 link=topic=1519.msg56056#msg56056 date=1158992598]
    quote author=brascolaw link=topic=1519.msg56052#msg56052 date=1158991551]
    [quote author=wordman262 link=topic=1519.msg56050#msg56050 date=1158991120]
    [quote author=brascolaw link=topic=1519.msg55293#msg55293 date=1158908562]
    Not only is it not Morbid, but after a while, you become desensitized to it all.Â* You start finding most of the deaths boring, unless they have some grizzy details or involve someone who is physicially attractive.Â* Hideous people who die in car accidents are worth about as much as ice to an eskimo.
    [/quote]

That's a pretty sweeping generalization. Perhaps true for you, but most definitely not true for me. And I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm reasonably confident that I'm not the only one.

[/quote]

Dude, you have been a registered member for one week.Right...and you have no idea how long I've been lurking. In fact, you know virtually nothing else about me. So I take exception that you would say "you become desensitized to it all" instead of "I've become desensitized to it all." When you say "you," it's as if you're speaking for me. And I'm making it a point to say that you're not.
    [/quote]

Oh, wow.Â* You really don't know how to read passages in context, do you?Â* Do you purposefully disregard the authors intent just for the purpose of causing arguments?Â* Obviously, the point of my entire post was that after reading about numerous car accident deaths and suicides, the initital shock value begins to wear off.Â* Do you think I was trying to speak for everyone? Did you really think I meant, "Every single person who has ever been to MDS will automatically begin to become desensitized at the deaths because I feel that way."Â* I'm sorry if you thought I was speaking for everyone ever.Â* Maybe if you would have been around here long enough, you would have learned the personalities of other posters...so that you could understand their intent better.

Secondly, who cares how long you have been lurking for?Â* That is an unprovable fact.Â* You could say you have been here for 6 months, but in reality, you have been here for one week. The only hard fact that exists is that you have been here for one week, and you are acting like you are some long time regular who can speak from expierence about densensitization of deaths on MDS.Â* In other words, why don't you sit back and learn the way of board and the personalities of its members before you start making arguments over nothing.Â* If you came after me over a benign comment like the one I made, you are going to have a rough time on other threads...especially if you can't take context and personality into account.
    [/quote]

My initial comment was this: "That's a pretty sweeping generalization. Perhaps true for you, but most definitely not true for me. And I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm reasonably confident that I'm not the only one."

If you considered that a personal attack, then maybe you're not as "desensitized" as you claim to be.

Personalities and experience on the board aside, I would have characterized what you said as a sweeping generalization if anyone had posted it.

If you had taken the time to read my other posts -- very easy to access from my profile, BTW -- I hardly think you would think I'm a noob lurker who came to the board to make trouble. Yes, I have given people shit when they've said things that exemplify what gives MDS a bad name, especially among the survivors of the people whose lives and deaths are often ridiculed on these boards. But for the most part I have been respectful and tried to bring something constructive and/or interesting to the conversation.

In this case, the context was you telling a noob that "after a while, you become desensitized to it all. You start finding most of the deaths boring, unless they have some grizzy details or involve someone who is physicially attractive," as if that's universally the case. And I again am raising the argument that it is not universally the case.

And not that I should have to explain myself further, but I've been a journalist for 23 years. I've covered all manner of deaths from natural causes to accidents to drug overdoses to murder to suicide. Part of my current job is to edit the obituaries. One would think I'd be desensitized to it all after all these years, but I'm not.

Therefore I can say with confidence that MDS will never desensitize me; my experience shows me that it's not in my nature. And I sincerely doubt I'm the only person on here who is like that.

Lastly, you are the only person with whom I've had a "rough time" in my week on the board. None of the other long-timers have raised any issues with me. Not only have I avoided flame wars with people who are clearly only on here to antagonize, but I've discouraged others from doing so as well. But I'm not going to shy away from expressing my opinion on here, and if that gets me into "trouble," it's certainly the kind of trouble I can handle.

I'm leaning on this broken fence between past and present tense.

Brascolaw comes on really strong... but he's allright. He's a frickin' lawer (EGO!!!) We appreciate your input, wordman. Thank god everyone on the site has different opinions. Don't sweat it.

I thank God for this site. My biggest fear is the death of someone I love, and by reading myspaces with comments from friends and family written on them, it gives me hope, and it's reassuring that life does go on, and yeah thats about it.   

again im baffled.

maybe i AM heartless, but ive never seen why death has been seen as such a sad thing. it hapens, its a part of life, its  a waste to be sad about it.

[quote author=997 link=topic=1656.msg56529#msg56529 date=1159122886]
    again im baffled.

maybe i AM heartless, but ive never seen why death has been seen as such a sad thing. it hapens, its a part of life, itsÂ* a waste to be sad about it.
    [/quote]

Death is sad for me, in the respect it is sad when a friend moves away. Except when someone moves you can still talk to them. Sadness for death is mostly a selfish thing for me.

I genuinely feel bad for families of the deceased as well. Often the deceased is the sole supporter for a family. Or someone's emotional support. Deaths changes lives drastically, especially unexpected death. It is sad when the people left alive are dealing with drastic life change and the loss of someone hugely important to them.

But that's just how I feel.

[quote author=Kevin M. link=topic=1656.msg54319#msg54319 date=1158795821]
    Big ups to www.dictionary.com for this info:

–adjective
    1. suggesting an unhealthy mental state or attitude; unwholesomely gloomy, sensitive, extreme, etc.: a morbid interest in death. 
    2. affected by, caused by, causing, or characteristic of disease. 
    3. pertaining to diseased parts: morbid anatomy. 
    4. gruesome; grisly.

If you fall under any of those, then yes you are.  As for myself, I qualify under #1
    [/quote]

Well I am a bit morbid. Everyone who knows me fairly well would concur. I would fall under #1, but I am not sure it is really an unhealthy attitude or unwholesome interest though. It is a curiousity that I have had since I can't remember. I have empathy for all those involved in the loss and all deaths sadden me to a degree. I tend to find humor or have irony running through my head though. Maybe it's a coping mechanism, but I also tend to say some of those things I'm thinking. That is why my friends think I'm morbid I believe. While they are avoiding the sensitive subject of death I seem to seek out the grisly details. I find it puts my mind to rest...I don't have to imagine the details of tragic event if I have the actual details of it. It's the way my mind works. Like airplane crashes...I keep replaying how I imagine it would have been for the people in the plane. After seeing final destination and a few other movies with life-like images of the passengers experience while a plane is crashing, my mind just doesn't keep re-playing it anymore. Is it like that for any of you? I used to think I was odd, now I just understand it is how I am...and I can appease my curiousity without feeling guilty for having the curiousity to begin with.

I love this site, it is a great idea. Those who don't like it or are offended can choose not to visit it. The people who are criticizing this site are the people who want to control the rights of others, such as free speech.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=1656.msg52316#msg52316 date=1158616350]
    [quote author=chloeluz link=topic=1519.msg51825#msg51825 date=1158545522]
    I can't help but feel guilty about reading this site. I'm addicted and feel weird about it.
    [/quote]

You're not 'Morbid" 

Morbid is my old lady, and you don't look nuttin like my old lady. 
    [/quote]

OMG...........now that's funny Ron......... :lol:.............Is she that bad?  :?

[quote author=MorbidCuriousity link=topic=1656.msg56421#msg56421 date=1159106529]
    Brascolaw comes on really strong... but he's allright. He's a frickin' lawer (EGO!!!) We appreciate your input, wordman. Thank god everyone on the site has different opinions. Don't sweat it.
    [/quote]

Yeah, Im working on that...I promise I don't talk in real life like I type on MDS.

Yes! You are morbid and disgusting for coming to this site!! Just kidding. You are not morbid.  You just have a healthy curiosity.  And everyone is going to have different opinions and ways about dealing with the fact that death is a reality.  And sometimes that means people will make fun of people who have passed on.  Completely wrong and disgusting,  but everyone has a right to their own opinion.
    Why live in the world, when you can live in your head?

Its human nature to be curious. Just people like to tihnk that its weird.
    Why do people tape woman giving birth?  Its less weird to want to know about death, especially about the young people that aren't supossed to die yet.

Is this shirt badluck? or just a coincidence?
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction-viewImage&friendID=5849890&imageID=6133638 56
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction-viewImage&friendID=7483316&imageID=1702021 27

[quote author=llife00 link=topic=1656.msg51315#msg51315 date=1158433792]
    When i first came to this site, i was very interested in some specific deaths (such as chip ellis and others), and researched them. I even cried because of the sadness that could be seen throughout the victims families and such. Now it just seems like no one even cares anymore. statistics and making fun of the way people died and so on. I do it too now so i am not judging... but does anyone else share this reaction? was anyone else extremely saddened/interested by/in this site upon discovery, but is now apathetic?
    [/quote]

Interesting question.

No, I'm no more concerned about what people do with their lives than I was twenty years ago. Thirty years ago. Hell, forty years ago.

People die by many means, and it always involves tragedy.

What this site does is display the circumstances and details of death... and Myspaces... of dead people. Maybe I'm jaded, but these people are all dead and former members of Myspace... how is it objectionable?

Myself, I can't stand Myspace, but I love this site!

(the irony is killing me too)

The first day I found out abou this I stayed on it for hours!!! I was so sad as I read through the pages. I  felt sorry for them, etc, but then I grew accustomed to it....I guess its normal.

I remember the first time I saw a decapitation on Ogrish.com. I think it was of journalist Daniel Pearl....I was so horrified about it. It left me traumatized, but as more decapitations were being shown , it was not a big deal to me anymore, of course its a big deal because this act is horrible, but i just dont find the sick thrill I felt the first time I saw it.....

He thrusts his fists against the posts...and still insists he sees the ghosts....

Death is only viewed as morbid because we know so little about it.  We don't really know where we go when we die, and what part of us goes.  We know about our life organs and very little of the brain.  The soul and death, is a complete mystery.  It needs to be studied just like anything else if we are ever to learn about it.  I don't see it morbid at all.... Death is a fact of life.

Thread Information