Thread: Derick Thomas (17) died after being crushed beneath his ATV

Derick Thomas (17) died after being crushed beneath his ATV

DERICK THOMAS

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2007/11/10/Derick_Thomas_(17)_died_after_being_crushed_beneat h_his_ATV

Derick Alan Thomas Thursday, April 26, 2007 Derick Alan Thomas, 17, born Dec. 14, 1989, in Pueblo, passed away April 23, 2007. Preceded in death by his brother, Christopher Michael Stroud; sister, Letitia Taylor Surprise; grandmother, Peggy Jones; and great-grandmother, Ruth Estep. Survived by his parents, Dawn and Gene Jones and Chad and Nikki Thomas; brothers, Joe Thomas and Kyle Jones; stepsister, Laramie Tolbert; grandparents, Lana (Frank Musso) Slaten, Jerry and Kathy Thomas, Bonnie Martin, and Karen and Mike Osborn; great-grandparents, W.L. and June Finlayson, and Robert Estep; aunts and uncles, Tammy Minuhin, Kim (John) Rigirozzi, Charlie (Tanya) Jones, Dennis (Cheryl) Jones and Sean Dressel Sr.; loving cousins, Autumn Moser, Paige Minuhin, Haillie Slaten, Sierra Jones, Dakota Jones, Justin Jones, Chrystal (Josh) Tillerson, Sean Dressel Jr., Sharae Dressel, Brenna Dressel, Donald (Mona) Henderson, Jennifer Henderson and Sheila Henderson; great-aunts and -uncles, Joan Brown, Kay (Tom) O'Rourke, Marlene (Frank) Straziscar, Judy (Joe) Kovacich, Beverly (Rick) Giadone, Charlene Fillmore, Jan (Bob) Hicks, Nanette (Greg) Weiss and Robert Brown; great-great-aunt and -uncle, Walter and Pat Estep; other cousins, Sean (Kristy) Straziscar, Tom (Debbie) O'Rourke, Shari (John) Trivisonno, Michael (Julie) O'Rourke, Dan (Heikei) Kovacich, Jim (Sandra) Lany, John (Lisa) O'Rourke, Jennifer (Craig Law) Kovacich and Shay (Mike) Smith; best friends, Nate Messenger, Tony Armenta and Jacob Pino. Also survived by numerous other family members from the Thomas, Estep and Corriveau family. Derick, also known as the tie-dye shirt guy, was a student in the fast-track program at Pueblo Community College and would have graduated this June. He loved to cook and had plans to enroll at PCC in the Culinary Arts program next fall. Derick was looking forward to restoring his 1970 Mustang to original condition, a passion he gained from his great-grandfather. There will be no viewing. Funeral service, 2 p.m. Friday, April 27, 2007, Praise Assembly, 2000 Troy, with Pastor Adam Aragon officiating. Interment, Roselawn Cemetery. In lieu of food and flowers, please make donations to the Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes through Montgomery & Steward. Online condolences, www.Montgomery Steward.com.

http://virtual-memorials.com/main.ph...&page_no=2

Re: Derick Thomas (17) died after being crushed beneath his ATV

http://www.virtual-memorials.com/mai...&page_no=1

His virtual memory page just says it was a terrible accident

Olivia

Moved from info needed.

I think that being crushed to death would be the second worst way to die, preceeded only by being burnt to death.

The obituary says he was preceded in death by a brother and a sister. This poor family.

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=10452.msg602956#msg602956 date=1194631389]
    Moved from info needed.

I think that being crushed to death would be the second worst way to die, preceeded only by being burnt to death.
    [/quote]

I agree.  I really hope it was quick and he didn't suffer.

RIP Derick

i never would have thought an atv was that heavy...terrible way to die.  poor guy.

rip derick

I think it was a truck that got stuck. I'll have to go back and re-read. Quads don't seem heavy enough to crush an adult but you never know...

[quote author=chelseabrianna link=topic=10452.msg604826#msg604826 date=1194732540]
    I think it was a truck that got stuck. I'll have to go back and re-read. Quads don't seem heavy enough to crush an adult but you never know...
    [/quote]Did a little browsing thru ATV specs and found weights from 360-660 lbs just with a quick search.  So plenty of heft especially if you were on rock or hard ground rather than in a marshy area.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Sigh... I hate ATVs.  Too many young people die on them.  I don't know if it's a case of inexperience with too much power, or the fact that they flip so easily, or maybe it's because young people are the primary demographic for ATVs.  All I know is that too many kids are dying on them.  :-(

RIP Derick...
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information