Thread: Police Say Baby Drowned In Tub While Mom Shopped For Shoes

Police Say Baby Drowned In Tub While Mom Shopped For Shoes

LAKEVILLE, Minn. -- A Lakeville mother has been charged with two counts of manslaughter in the drowning death of her 11-month-old daughter.

Lakeville police said that Katherine Renae Bodem, 38, was shopping for shoes online when her daughter, Cecelia Katherine, drowned in the bathtub.

In a criminal complaint filed in Dakota County, a Lakeville investigator said that several officers arrived at Bodem's home on Aug. 25 to find two women out in front of the house administering CPR to a baby. Officers said another woman, who was identified as Bodem, was standing nearby and was frantically yelling, "It's all my fault" and repeatedly told officers, "“I’m so stupid, this has been a horrible year for me.”

Investigators said Bodem told police that she put the girl and her 2-year-old son in the bathtub on the main floor of the house while she went downstairs for a few minutes where her other two children were playing. Bodem told officers that said she could still hear Cecelia and her brother playing and laughing, but after there was silence, she went upstairs and saw her son pulling Cecelia from the tub.

Bodem told police at the time that she had left the two children unattended in the tub for about 10 minutes.

One of Bodem's other children told police that she thought Bodem was buying shoes online when Bodem was downstairs with them, because Bodem had broken a pair. The child said she thought that Bodem had been away from the tub for about 20 minutes and that they had all heard Cecelia and her brother laughing in the tub. The child told police that they heard Cecelia crying and that shortly afterwards, the son came downstairs and said, "Mom, CC."

Meanwhile, Betty Koberoski, Bodem's mother, told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that she fears her daughter suffers from depression. Koberoski told the Pioneer Press she called county authorities nearly a year ago to report her concerns about her daughter’s children. Prior to the baby’s death, Bodem had four children, the oldest of whom is 10.

Koberoski told the newspaper that she received an upbeat birthday card from her daughter after the baby’s birth. Then weeks passed without any contact, and her daughter filed a restraining order against Koberoski in November, the Pioneer Press reported.

“Last November, I called Dakota County ... and said I am so scared for those children because my daughter is suffering from postpartum depression,” Koberoski told the newspaper. "I still do not know the details. It is so sad. I loved that child so much. I love my daughter.”

Bodem is charged with two counts of second-degree manslaughter. If convicted, she could face up to 10 years in prison and $20,000 in fines.
    http://www.channel3000.com/news/14307985/detail.html

A pretty bad year for the kid too. RIP Cecelia

Re: Police Say Baby Drowned In Tub While Mom Shopped For Shoes

Some people just don't deserve to have children, mandatory sterilization should be performed on these people.

I hope they were nice shoes...

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.
    RIP Cecelia.

[quote author=dogday link=topic=10361.msg565740#msg565740 date=1192035799]
    “I’m so stupid, this has been a horrible year for me.”

[/quote]

That has got to be the understatement of the year.  I think your kids are having a pretty crappy year too.  I hope the shoes were worth it.

RIP Cecelia

Were They Snowboots??  It IS Minnesota, After All
    Oh God, Stop The Voices *SCREAM*

[quote author=MrBoddy2005 link=topic=10361.msg568297#msg568297 date=1192198352]
    Were They Snowboots??  It IS Minnesota, After All
    [/quote]

When it said her shoes broke, I got an image of some truly horrific clear platform stripper shoes.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=IvannaTrailer link=topic=10361.msg568300#msg568300 date=1192198506]
    When it said her shoes broke, I got an image of some truly horrific clear platform stripper shoes.
    [/quote]
    If they were stripper shoes, then this baby didn't die in vain.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=10361.msg568304#msg568304 date=1192198603]
    If they were stripper shoes, then this baby didn't die in vain.
    [/quote]

:lol: :lol:

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=IvannaTrailer link=topic=10361.msg568307#msg568307 date=1192198690]
    :lol: :lol:
    [/quote]I'm sayin...they get me hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

All She Needs Is A Velcro Skirt...
    Oh God, Stop The Voices *SCREAM*

Considering her mother says she has postpartum, I'd say her absentmindedness was intentional. She probably meant for both of them to die

[quote author=ashcash link=topic=10361.msg568828#msg568828 date=1192217858]
    Considering her mother says she has postpartum, I'd say her absentmindedness was intentional. She probably meant for both of them to die
    [/quote]
    :|

I don't think that postpartum depression makes you homicidal -- maybe psychosis does, but then you might actually forcefully drown your kids a la Andrea Yates.

I think that her depression could have informed her not thinking clearly, and maybe privileging new shoes over the safety of her kids. 

Even people who've never had kids know not to leave a toddler alone in a tub,let alone TWO!Maybe the children were playing and the little boy accidently drowned her? It sounds like a stretch, but I remember being two, and how my brother,who is one year older, would try to dunk me in our kiddie pool when we were playing...lucky for me, at least one parent was always around to protect us from each other.

Either way, what a STUPID,STUPID BITCH! And all she says is,"This has been a hard year for me" ?!Gives Britney Spears a run for her money,huh? :-P

RIP little girl

[quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

Thread Information