Thread: I see Shadow People

I see Shadow People

Brain stimulation creates a ‘shadow person’
    Discovery could help unlock mysteries of schizophrenia, paranoia

The young woman went to doctors to have them probe her brain, to root out where her seizures came from. But unexpectedly, their investigations and the procedure they performed led her to experience the creepy illusion of a person standing behind her, where nobody was actually present.

The patient described the illusory person as young and of indeterminate sex, a "shadow" who did not speak or move. "He is behind me, almost at my body, but I do not feel it," she reported.

When the patient sat and embraced her knees with her arms, she noted the "man" was now also sitting and clasping her in his arms, which she described as unpleasant. When asked to read a card in her right hand, she noted the shadow tried to interfere, saying, "he wants to take the card" and "he doesn't want me to read."

Researchers said today that what they learned from this woman, who is not named in their scientific paper, could help shed light on psychiatric effects, such as feelings of alien control, paranoia and persecution.

Cognitive neuroscientist Olaf Blanke at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne in Switzerland and his colleagues investigated the 22-year-old woman, who had no history of psychiatric illness. They were evaluating her for surgical treatment of epilepsy, and had implanted electrodes in her brain to study where her seizures originated.

The researchers found stimulating a region known as the left temporoparietal junction caused the woman to feel the presence of a shadowy person.

The temporoparietal junction is involved in distinguishing self from other and integrating body-related sensory information. Since the shadowy person closely mimicked the woman, the researchers propose she was experiencing an illusion based on her own body. This effect is a symptom of schizophrenia, and the scientists noted hyperactivity in the temporoparietal cortex of schizophrenics could lead to include the sensation that one's actions are being performed by someone else.

"Larger studies are needed," Blanke told LiveScience. "We reported findings in a single patient."

Blanke and his colleagues report their findings in the Sept. 21 issue of the journal Nature.

© 2006 LiveScience.com. All rights reserved.
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14928373/from/RS.3/

Re: I see Shadow People

Dude, that's freaky. The shadow man sleeps in my bed.
    DOOSHING THE COMPETITION SINCE 1987

yeah whenever i'm outside on a sunny day i see this thingy follow me around on the ground.. 
    bella<br /><br />

How bout you live, laugh, and love Mia...&nbsp;
    DOOSHING THE COMPETITION SINCE 1987

I've read about this in my psych. class at school. (ok fine, I'm 37 and in school, at least I'm doing something) it's defined as paranormal psychosis. It's a phe-nom. Scary shit to the person on the recieving end.
    On some level. we&#039;d all like to know what&#039;s next and be assured that the choices we&#039;re making are the right ones. But there&#039;s no substitue for following your own instincts&quot;?* Mary Teller

thats scary as hell!&nbsp;
    <br /><br />

OMFG this so scary azz shit...wow..but my friend Maia sees people in her dreams and has to close her closet at night...her mom has pysic abilities and she does too a little she saw my ex and knew he has &quot;decieving&quot; eyes..yup was on the ball...thnk god i don't see ppl but i've dreamt of the dea but i've been told that's them reahing out to you...a priest even told this years ago so they even(Catholich Church) see it as real..not craziness...
    &quot;Why does the rest of the world put up with the hypocrisy, the need to put a happy face on sorrow&quot; Elizabeth<br />Wurtzel &quot;fear is in our minds&quot; Amy Lee<br />

Thread Information