Thread: I just don't get it...

I just don't get it...

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=45ffacbb-bdc6-4ef5-9e43-15e91dbb93bc

I don't understand how young women can hide their pregnancies from their families and then kill their children right after they are born. Are parents that out of tune with their children (I suppose seeing some of the warning signs on kids' myspace pages in answer enough for that one)? This one delivered the baby herself, strangled it with her underpants, then threw it in the neighbour's yard. Surely no one would find it there... Why not terminate the pregnancy early on in the term if you're not planning on having it (ie. keeping it alive)?? I'm neither here nor there on the abortion issue (whole other kettle of fish there) but surely that would have been a more "humane" option, no? Twisted...
    Wow...are you really going to wear that?

Re: I just don't get it...

I see an abortion debate coming out of this thread...  :roll:

But yeah, I dunno why on earth these women carry these babies full term without having any desire to keep it (or give it up for adoption for that matter).  Also, how do they not get attached to something that's been growing and kicking inside of them for the past 9 months?

I've been involved in a few cases, 3 that ended up in deaths and one when she delivered in the hospital.

In those cases there is a absolute block on the pregnancy.  Complete denial at all levels. Including movement and changes in their body appearance.  In 2 of the cases, they passed lie detector test when asked if they had ever been pregnant.  The third one admitted to knowing and trying to hide the baby.
    The other came in for the flu in the er and pushed out a 7 lb baby and still denied it was hers.

If the 2 girls who passed the tests and the girl who I delivered with were lying, they need life time Oscars.

It's very complicated but a little like a psychotic break or a disassociation from reality.  It's sad.  But there are some who are in complete fear and it results in these terrible deaths.  Not excusing it, just relating what I've seen.

[quote author=reachingupforair link=topic=1581.msg54288#msg54288 date=1158793127]
    I've been involved in a few cases, 3 that ended up in deaths and one when she delivered in the hospital.

In those cases there is a absolute block on the pregnancy.Â* Complete denial at all levels. Including movement and changes in their body appearance.Â* Â*In 2 of the cases, they passed lie detector test when asked if they had ever been pregnant.Â* The third one admitted to knowing and trying to hide the baby.
    The other came in for the flu in the er and pushed out a 7 lb baby and still denied it was hers.

If the 2 girls who passed the tests and the girl who I delivered with were lying, they need life time Oscars.

It's very complicated but a little like a psychotic break or a disassociation from reality.Â* Â*It's sad.Â* But there are some who are in complete fear and it results in these terrible deaths.Â* Not excusing it, just relating what I've seen.
    [/quote]

Whoa, that's crazy.  I didn't know denial could be that powerful... that's scary.

I've been unnaturally intrigued with this phenomenon for years. The stories are always the same: teen or early 20s girl hides pregnancy from everyone, delivers the infant alone, then abandons it in trash, yard, etc. Sometimes the child is killed, possibly inadvertently by the mother; sometimes the infant is abandoned alive. Makes no sense, but it happens often. There must be a psychological factor, such as denial as mentioned about, in this syndrome.

This is one of two topics I'd love to write a book about when I retire.

Cadaver Synod
    http://www.myspace.com/cadaver_synod
    "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." Animal House

[quote author=holly link=topic=1581.msg54291#msg54291 date=1158793245]
    [quote author=reachingupforair link=topic=1581.msg54288#msg54288 date=1158793127]

In those cases there is a absolute block on the pregnancy.Â* Complete denial at all levels. Including movement and changes in their body appearance.Â* Â*In 2 of the cases, they passed lie detector test when asked if they had ever been pregnant.Â* The third one admitted to knowing and trying to hide the baby.

It's very complicated but a little like a psychotic break or a disassociation from reality.Â* Â*It's sad.Â* But there are some who are in complete fear and it results in these terrible deaths.Â* Not excusing it, just relating what I've seen.
    [/quote]

Whoa, that's crazy.Â* I didn't know denial could be that powerful... that's scary.
    [/quote]

No kidding. Thanks for that information though, I had absolutely no idea.

There is actually a very good, not all med speak article about it here

<http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3882/is_200001/ai_n8895479>

That's a scary, yet interesting thing...
    If someone believes something for so long that it becomes true to them, a lie detector is pretty much useless.
    Did you just throw a burrito at me?!

[quote author=reachingupforair link=topic=1581.msg54297#msg54297 date=1158794141]
    There is actually a very good, not all med speak article about it here

<http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3882/is_200001/ai_n8895479>

[/quote]

Thanks Debbie. Here's an update on my original post...

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=a61568de-aa67-4084-864f-dab4b3c8599a&k=0

She had to be in denial.  What 9 month pregnant woman wears a thong?!?!

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/06/..._b1baby001.cfm

Appearantly this sort of thing is very, very common. While I cannot see myself doing it, it might be because of whats here in this article I've placed above. IN Washington, there is a law in which a mother can drop off a newborn at a hospital, a firestation, or a police station with no questions asked, simply stating, " My baby needs a safe place."

And then its not longer your problem.

Appearantly not a lot of people know that this option is around, because babies are found way too often.

The lady in this case also threw her baby over a fence. But in a bag. Into a pond. What an idiot.

[quote author=AlexaC link=topic=1581.msg54914#msg54914 date=1158861429]

Appearantly this sort of thing is very, very common. While I cannot see myself doing it, it might be because of whats here in this article I've placed above. IN Washington, there is a law in which a mother can drop off a newborn at a hospital, a firestation, or a police station with no questions asked, simply stating, " My baby needs a safe place."

Appearantly not a lot of people know that this option is around, because babies are found way too often.

The lady in this case also threw her baby over a fence. But in a bag. Into a pond. What an idiot.
    [/quote]

they have this law in iowa (and lots of other states) as well.  i've seen it in the papers..."young women drops off baby...blah, blah, blah."  i don't think it's a good idea to publish it when ever the law is put to use, but it definitely should be more publicized.

it's the worse kind of murder in my opinion. the babies didn't have choice. sigh.. :|

[quote author=emmieslost link=topic=1581.msg54919#msg54919 date=1158861835]

[/quote]

they have this law in iowa (and lots of other states) as well.Â* i've seen it in the papers..."young women drops off baby...blah, blah, blah."Â* i don't think it's a good idea to publish it when ever the law is put to use, but it definitely should be more publicized.
    [/quote]
    I think California does too.  However (and I'll prolly be hated by the prolifers out there for saying it) these kids should have access to free contraceptives, education (more in depth than a sex ed class in school), and should they become pregnant, the access to talk to someone about it confidentially and have a no cost abortion at their own choice.  The government should pay for it.  It would be cheaper than welfare.  But with limitations so it wouldn't become abused.

[quote author=Snuff Junkie link=topic=1581.msg55025#msg55025 date=1158872863]

[/quote]

they have this law in iowa (and lots of other states) as well.Â* i've seen it in the papers..."young women drops off baby...blah, blah, blah."Â* i don't think it's a good idea to publish it when ever the law is put to use, but it definitely should be more publicized.
    [/quote]
    I think California does too.Â* However (and I'll prolly be hated by the prolifers out there for saying it) these kids should have access to free contraceptives, education (more in depth than a sex ed class in school), and should they become pregnant, the access to talk to someone about it confidentially and have a no cost abortion at their own choice.Â* The government should pay for it.Â* It would be cheaper than welfare.Â* But with limitations so it wouldn't become abused.
    [/quote]

I do know what you're saying and I definitely agree with the free contraceptives, education and counselling.  I would just be afraid, like you said, that if abortions were offered as a free service, they would become a method of birth control. I am pro-choice, for sure, but I personally know at least 2 girls who have had more than 3 abortions. Like...ummm...ever heard of rubbers? For them, pregnancy is more of an annoyance than anything.

And I'm not even sure that cost is an issue. If you are trying to hide a pregnancy for fear of retributions, or if you are mentally unstable, I would assume that abortion wouldn't even be an option. It's a toughie for sure...

[quote author=Cockmaster link=topic=1581.msg55059#msg55059 date=1158875736]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    I think California does too.Â* However (and I'll prolly be hated by the prolifers out there for saying it) these kids should have access to free contraceptives, education (more in depth than a sex ed class in school), and should they become pregnant, the access to talk to someone about it confidentially and have a no cost abortion at their own choice.Â* The government should pay for it.Â* It would be cheaper than welfare.Â* But with limitations so it wouldn't become abused.
    [/quote]

I do know what you're saying and I definitely agree with the free contraceptives, education and counselling.Â* I would just be afraid, like you said, that if abortions were offered as a free service, they would become a method of birth control. I am pro-choice, for sure, but I personally know at least 2 girls who have had more than 3 abortions. Like...ummm...ever heard of rubbers? For them, pregnancy is more of an annoyance than anything.

And I'm not even sure that cost is an issue. If you are trying to hide a pregnancy for fear of retributions, or if you are mentally unstable, I would assume that abortion wouldn't even be an option. It's a toughie for sure...
    [/quote]

Actually yes, statistics show that most people who have had an abortion at all have actually had multiple abortions. 

But I am pro-choice all the way  8-)

i just don't understand why you wouldn't just prevent getting pregnant if you didn't want a baby?  I hate when people use abortion as a form of birth control. 

[quote author=holly link=topic=1581.msg55061#msg55061 date=1158875884]
    [quote author=Cockmaster link=topic=1581.msg55059#msg55059 date=1158875736]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

I do know what you're saying and I definitely agree with the free contraceptives, education and counselling.Â* I would just be afraid, like you said, that if abortions were offered as a free service, they would become a method of birth control. I am pro-choice, for sure, but I personally know at least 2 girls who have had more than 3 abortions. Like...ummm...ever heard of rubbers? For them, pregnancy is more of an annoyance than anything.

[/quote]

Actually yes, statistics show that most people who have had an abortion at all have actually had multiple abortions.Â*

But I am pro-choice all the wayÂ* 8-)
    [/quote]

I am too, but to a point. I do realize how hypocritical I am, but I don't agree with abortion as a form of birth control (meaning having an abortion in lieu of using a condom, etc.).  There are so many other, healthier options out there.

A choice to not use birth control is a choice to get pregnant.

[quote author=reachingupforair link=topic=1581.msg55082#msg55082 date=1158879027]
    [/quote]

Precisely.

[quote author=Cockmaster link=topic=1581.msg55087#msg55087 date=1158880347]
    [quote author=reachingupforair link=topic=1581.msg55082#msg55082 date=1158879027]
    [/quote]

Precisely.
    [/quote]

I'll third that.

An old roommate of mine had 2 abortions, and herpes. Sometimes people learn the lessons the hard way, or not at all. And this was in college, so its not like she never got any information. She lived with 5 other girls and our clinic gives away free BC. Some people dont care about themselves enough.
    &quot;swear there ain&#039;t no heaven, but i pray there ain&#039;t no hell&quot;<br />-Blood, Sweat, &amp; Tears

Thread Information