Thread: MIT student arrested with fake bomb

MIT student arrested with fake bomb

An MIT student wearing what turned out to be a fake bomb was arrested at gunpoint Friday at Logan International Airport and later claimed it was artwork, officials said.

Star Simpson, 19, had a computer circuit board and wiring in plain view over a black hooded sweatshirt she was wearing, said State Police Maj. Scott Pare, the commanding officer at the airport.

"She said that it was a piece of art and she wanted to stand out on career day," Pare said at a news conference. "She claims that it was just art, and that she was proud of the art and she wanted to display it."

Simpson was charged with disturbing the peace and possessing a hoax device. A not guilty plea was entered for her and she was released on $750 bail.

During the hearing, Simpson smiled as she entered wearing a T-shirt and sandals. After she posted bail, she left in a taxi with a man who identified himself as her boyfriend, but neither would answer more questions from reporters.

Prosecutor Wayne Margolis had requested $5,000 bail, saying Simpson showed a total disregard for the situation she was in — an airport after the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Ross Schreiber, who was appointed to represent Simpson, said she was not a risk to flee, was a good student with no prior convictions and she cooperated with authorities.

He said she had gone to the airport to meet her boyfriend. "She was there for legitimate purposes," Schreiber said.

Simpson was "extremely lucky she followed the instructions or deadly force would have been used," Pare said. "She's lucky to be in a cell as opposed to the morgue."

Simpson is a Massachusetts Institute of Technology sophomore from Hawaii, officials said.

The battery-powered rectangular device had nine flashing lights, and Simpson had Play-Doh in her hands, Pare said.

The phrases "Socket to me" and "Course VI" were written on the back of her sweatshirt, which authorities displayed to the media. Course VI appears to refer to MIT's major of electrical engineering and computer science.

Simpson was a member of MIT's swimming and diving team in 2006, according to the team's Web site, which lists her hometown as Kihei, Hawaii. MIT spokeswoman Patti Richards said aside from confirming she was a student, the school did not have any comment.

She was arrested about 8 a.m. outside Terminal C, home to United Airlines, Jet Blue and other carriers.

A Massachusetts Port Authority staffer manning an information booth in the terminal became suspicious when Simpson — wearing the device — approached to ask about an incoming flight, Pare said. Simpson then walked outside, and the staffer notified a nearby trooper.

The trooper, joined by others with submachine guns, confronted her at a traffic island in front of the terminal.

"She was immediately told to stop, to raise her hands and not to make any movement, so we could observe all her movements to see if she was trying to trip any type of device," Pare said. "Had she not followed the protocol, we might have used deadly force."

Pare said Simpson took a subway to the airport, but he was not sure if she had the device on at that time.

The major praised the booth attendant, but said the incident is a reminder of the terrorism threat confronting the civil aviation system. Two of the four passenger jets hijacked on Sept. 11, 2001, took off from Logan.

The city was the focus of a major security scare Jan. 31 when dozens of battery-powered devices were discovered in various locations. Bomb squads were deployed and some transportation links were closed temporarily. They turned out to be a promotion for the Cartoon Network.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070921/ap_on_re_us/fake_bomb

Re: MIT student arrested with fake bomb

I looked for a MS for her, but surprisingly Star Simpson is a common name.  I'm glad she got arrested.  I'm sick of people thinking it's cute to be an asshole.

What a fucktard.
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

Aren't people who go to MIT supposed to be smart?
    :hitwitrock:

[quote author=ScrantonBranch link=topic=10096.msg544378#msg544378 date=1190401581]
    Aren't people who go to MIT supposed to be smart?
    :hitwitrock:
    [/quote]

I bet she thought she was being unique and edgy and making a statement.  Well the latter part of that is certainly true... :roll: 

Some people are just stupid.  She probably thought she was being amusing and clever where as she was just scaring the shit out of a bunch people whilst acting like a tard.

[quote author=daybreaksdisdain link=topic=10096.msg544381#msg544381 date=1190401729]
    I bet she thought she was being unique and edgy and making a statement.  Well the latter part of that is certainly true... :roll:   
    [/quote]

I wore a fake bomb to the airport and all I got was my lousy name in the paper for being a douche.

[quote author=daybreaksdisdain link=topic=10096.msg544381#msg544381 date=1190401729]
    [/quote]

I wish they would have tasered her, and the play-doh would have somehow melted into her skin, and it would have been filmed.  And oh how we'd laugh.

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=10096.msg544385#msg544385 date=1190401889]

I wore a fake bomb to the airport and all I got was my lousy name in the paper for being a douche.
    [/quote]

:lol:

Oh when we find a picture of her...

[/quote]

Edgy huh? I think I've heard you say that twice in one day. 

Yeah, this girl was an fucktard indeed.

She's lucky she didn't get a bullet in her non-existant brains.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

Oh when we find a picture of her...

yay, perry!! thank you!

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=10096.msg544400#msg544400 date=1190403016]
    yay, perry!! thank you!
    [/quote]

Okay, someone photoshop a shirt on this winner with what 'nads wrote!

yay, another overreaction by really stupid people in the name of security. Contrary to apparent common belief...LED lights are neither explosive, or are a requirement of explosive devices. In fact, unless a bomb is timed, or rigged for remote detonation. you don't even need a circuit board. The device in question is pictured below.

That would be a typical solder-less circuit board available at any Radio Shack, and a positive & negative "lead" (wires) connected between the board and a 9 volt battery. There is absolutely nothing complex, dangerous, or scary about this at all

but I guess with all this highly educated airport security we can be rest assured that any terrorist who believes in attaching unnecessary blinking lights to his bombs will meet his match. I'm just kinda scared about those terrorists who  don't.

but in the meantime, I'm grateful that there are people out there who will do whatever it takes to protect us innocent civilians from the horrors of being exposed to LEDs. I for one have always been skeptical of the battery/charging LEDs on my laptop because I don't understand their glowing ways...they frighten and confuse me.

something new will be here shortly

Just goes to show that book smarts can carry you only so far with out some common sense.

[quote author=Digital_Utopia link=topic=10096.msg544961#msg544961 date=1190473592]
    yay, another overreaction by really stupid people in the name of security. Contrary to apparent common belief...LED lights are neither explosive, or are a requirement of explosive devices. In fact, unless a bomb is timed, or rigged for remote detonation. you don't even need a circuit board. The device in question is pictured below.

That would be a typical solder-less circuit board available at any Radio Shack, and a positive & negative "lead" (wires) connected between the board and a 9 volt battery. There is absolutely nothing complex, dangerous, or scary about this at all

but I guess with all this highly educated airport security we can be rest assured that any terrorist who believes in attaching unnecessary blinking lights to his bombs will meet his match. I'm just kinda scared about those terrorists who  don't.

but in the meantime, I'm grateful that there are people out there who will do whatever it takes to protect us innocent civilians from the horrors of being exposed to LEDs. I for one have always been skeptical of the battery/charging LEDs on my laptop because I don't understand their glowing ways...they frighten and confuse me.

[/quote]

:roll:

I am glad they stopped her. It was dumb to wear that anywhere much less the fucking airport. I hope when I fly next time the security person is erring on the side of caution. Hopefully no one puts you in a sensitive position because your common sense is fucking useless. You would be wacking your pud in the break room because all this "security shit" is overblown anyway.

[quote author=Digital_Utopia link=topic=10096.msg544961#msg544961 date=1190473592]

[/quote]

Surely it's better to be over cautious than under cautious?  The stupid person in this case is the moron who thought wearing a device in an airport was a smart idea.

Even if it had bright flashing lights which meant any security guard would know it was a fake, other people in the airport wouldn't.  I wonder how many people saw her with that device and were scared witless because they wouldn't know the difference between an idiot who thinks they are clever and an idiot with a real bomb. 

She got what she deserved just for being a insensitive tard and scaring the shit out of innocent people.

it didn't "have" flashing lights....flashing lights all it was.

if the security guard knew it was fake, then his duty is to inform those who might for some reason be scared. Because, if I'm not mistaken...blinking lights are a whole lot less frightening than a bunch of guys with submachine guns rushing somebody, and arresting them on a bogus charge....all for nothing but some blinking lights.

A better suggestion would've been to have someone walk up to this woman, pull her aside, and let her know her lights are disturbing the passengers. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to put it away, with a lot less commotion than these "overly cautious" airport security guards caused with their gestapo tactics that even if the charges are dropped...still cost this lady $750 for nothing.

she said she created the blinking lights as an artistic statement...she had no devious goals, nor did she expect everybody to overreact. The fact they were scared was one thing, but it was a whole different story that airport security seemed to overreact in the same way...making me very scared about exactly on how these guys are trained.

the only thing this, as well as the Boston 'lite-brite massacre' serves as a lesson for, is to teach people that if you're going to be making an artistic and/or marketing statement...make sure you cover up all your wires, batteries, and circuit boards....like with something as advanced as cardboard or plastic kept together with electrical tape.

this isn't being over-cautious...this is being downright paranoid. One should be careful in certain situations not to excite or scare small animals, and/or children....adults should have some degree of common sense and the ability to rationalize what they're seeing...especially those carrying assault rifles. When a bunch of people that are either advised to, or are paid to increase the safety of our airports and cities expend time and energy going after "fakes", it takes away from the ability to track those who aren't going to be so um..."flashy" (read: those who actually do have explosives)

I've never said anything about the "security shit" being overblown...I'm just questioning the intelligence, and common sense of those trained to fire the weapons. High security is a good thing, paranoid security lacking common sense is dangerous, ineffective, and downright nazi-like. I could understand if she was wearing a faux "bomb vest", or walking around with a button in her hand....or even if the flashing lights spelled out "i've got a bomb" But having submachine guns pointed at you, and being arrested for a ridiculous charge for having blinking lights on your shirt is about as acceptable as someone getting shot by the cops for having a grill lighter in their hand...because the cop thought it was a gun.

Paranoia is wasteful and inefficient. It's this attitude that will make it far more likely for a real threat to slip by because everybody is busy chasing their tail and pointing guns at anything that blinks. Excuse me for expecting our airport security to protect us from real dangers, and handle the fake ones professionally. It's no wonder that other countries' airport security happens to actually catch people in the act, while ours catches them on the plane.

something new will be here shortly

Thread Information