Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: S.C. boy's slaying raises suspicions

Re: S.C. boy's slaying raises suspicions

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=10083.msg554158#msg554158 date=1191248530]
    That's just a small part of the interview, the rest of the you know's where too much to handle.

Is Nancy Grace the kind of person that would make you nervous?
    [/quote]

She is a very aggressive person.  If she were to interview me, I'd like to think I could take her, but she doesn't give people any breaks.  She's very angry, cuts people off mid-sentence, and often tries to twist peoples words.

One of her guests once called her a compassion sucking machine.  I thought that about summed it up.

Gave me chills when I read her "about me" on her cached myspace page - she describes her son as hyper.  All I could imagine is Devon running around being a spaz while mom has constant hangovers from all her partying.  I definitely think she did it.  It's all too convenient.  
    How many people that you know have a pillow in their car (prob a few, but that seems awfully convenient)?  And, she says he was suffocated by a pillow, but autopsy shows suffocation from throat compression...
    This whole situation screams "mommy did it"
    Also, what a sad life this kid probably led, no food in the fridge, but LOTS of jello shots

Thanks, never seen her! She seems to ask alot of the same question's in different ways.

Anyway here's the little boys obit-

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=DATA04&pagename=obittext& id=101288

Seems like its the Epps side of the family and not the mother was dealing with the funeral.

I hope this isn't true, but as soon as I saw this story on Nancy Grace- I thought this sounds just like the Susan Smith Case out of South Carolina. Any normal person with 1/2 a brain wouldn't believe a carjacker is going to "Car jack" someone kill their child with a pillow and then just leave the car behind?
    It doesn't even add up. Mom's guilty as h*ll IMO.
    For Out of Silence, No Change Can Come....

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=10083.msg554122#msg554122 date=1191245603]
    Sorry to bump but i found this-

The death of a child on a lonely road

BY JAMES SHANNON

The latest chapter in a national string of strange, sad events is currently unfolding in Greenville County, where the death of 7-year-old Devon Epps has local law enforcement in a quandary. Or does it?

The mystery began on August 12, when Amanda Reagan Smith drove her black Honda Civic to the deserted intersection a block off Interstate 85. Smith told police she had her son in the car when she halted at a stop sign. A man with a knife jumped in the passenger door, ordering her to drive to a nearby stretch of road and get out of the car. Smith says she watched as he locked the doors then covered the boy’s face with a pillow. When help finally arrived on the scene, the attacker was long gone and Devon Epps was dead. The cause of death was listed as asphyxia due to neck compression.

Amanda Smith gave police a description of the man she says attacked her. They produced a sketch of a white man, late 30’s to early 40’s with reddish hair, 6 feet tall and weighing around 225 pounds. Initial reports said the sketch resembles a homeless man known to frequent the area, but no suspect has been identified. Others suggested the sketch resembled Devon’s father, David Chad Epps, but he has an airtight alibi. On the night his son was killed, David Epps was locked up in the Greenville County Detention Center on charges arising from an unrelated family matter.

As we go to press, it’s been 16 days since the death of Devon Epps and the case has reached an apparent dead end. Media reports continue, primarily in the Greenville News where crime reporter Paul Alongi has filed a succession of stories that keep the story alive despite the lack of any visible progress in the investigation. One headline told of the DNA testing of the pillow from the car. Now there’s a news bulletin – they’re actually going to test a piece of evidence from the crime scene. Stop the presses!

Then yesterday (Aug. 27), the News featured a front-page headline “Sheriff thinks Epps case will be solved.” A source inside the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office tells The Beat this prediction by Sheriff Steve Loftis was based not on any hard information about the case, but the general knowledge that the vast majority of homicides are ultimately solved and there was no reason at this juncture to conclude this one would be any different.

What these media reports must necessarily tip-toe around is the obvious fact that the mother’s story just doesn’t make sense. A decade after the Susan Smith case turned our collective stomachs with the sheer depravity of her murderous acts, there is an element of deep distrust aroused by many stories without nearly as many suspicious elements as this one.

For many years, Brad Willis was a reporter for WYFF television in Greenville, covering crime and politics – and the gray areas where the two often intersect. A couple of years ago, he quit the media rat race, grew a beard and pursued an interest in poker, both as a player and journalist covering such activities for magazines and websites. But he has not been able to suppress his newsman’s curiosity to know things, even at arm’s length.

These impulses are now relegated to RapidEyeReality.com, described as the blog of Brad Willis. Freed from news directors and assignment editors looking over his shoulder, Willis is quite candid in expressing his view of this case. Like a lot of people, he is disturbed by what he sees.

The first red flag raised by Willis concerns the lack of national media coverage of the story. “I don’t care where it happens,” he writes. “If a maniacal killer randomly kills a seven year old boy and then goes on the run, it’s going to be national news. The networks would descend on our idyllic little community… That’s not happening.”

He offers an explanation: “As a guy who worked in news for a decade and covered the cop shop for more than half of that time, I can tell you why. There is not a person in the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office or any of the local news outlets that believes the mother’s story. Speculation has run in just about every direction, but most of the time it circles back around to the mom.”

Willis is blunt in his assessment: “If there was even a 40% chance this mother was telling the truth, here’s what Greenville, South Carolina would look like right now: The Greenville County Sheriff’s Office would have a command post running 24/7. Other agencies from the state and neighboring counties would be helping conduct the manhunt under Sheriff Steve Loftis’ direction. Every news outlet would be leading with the story in every newscast. The composite photo would be on the door of every business in the area. Finally, based on the Sheriff’s Office’s reputation, I’d venture to say the killer would have been caught by now.”

At the end of his blog posting, Willis delivers the conclusion that many believe but will not – or cannot – report: “It’s pretty clear that if you read between the lines, you’ll see that the cops and, by extension, media, believe the mom killed her own kid then made up an elaborate story in a sad effort to cover her madness. Right now, the cops and media are going through the motions of reporting the nuts and bolts of the story and making it appear as though they are giving the mother’s story some credit. However, every single step they take makes it clear to the trained eye that they are ready to arrest her today.”

Meanwhile, the public burning of Amanda Smith has already begun. Her MySpace page, in which she frankly presents herself as a single woman looking for a good time, is read like tea leaves in search of clues to her character, as is her police record - a bunch of speeding tickets and a fraudulent check to Wal-Mart. These fail to persuade that she is much different than the rest of us – at least not yet. But whatever happened on that lonely stretch of road, the death of Devon Epps is yet another American tragedy.

Found here http://www.metrobeat.net/gbase/Expedite/Content?oid=oid%3A4612

So they are pretty sure its the mum, have they arrested her?

Kinda makes you hope it is her,if not this boys killer is not even being hunted.
    [/quote]

That Settles It, Lock The Bitch Up!
    Oh God, Stop The Voices *SCREAM*

trying to find her myspace page...this COULD be it, but I doubt it:

http://www.myspace.com/MANDERSHERE
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

[quote author=Karalicious link=topic=10083.msg562091#msg562091 date=1191846543]
    trying to find her myspace page...this COULD be it, but I doubt it:

http://www.myspace.com/MANDERSHERE
    [/quote]

Might possibly be it. I *think* her old one was deleted (the one she turned into a memorial page for her kid).
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

Mother charged.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/14515260/detail.html

Hope the bitch rots in hell.

[quote author=QueenB link=topic=10083.msg597732#msg597732 date=1194306400]
    Mother charged.

[/quote]

Awesome. 

Thanks for the update!

Do they have the Death Penalty in SC?  If they do I hope she gets it!!

[quote author=Onthedarkside link=topic=10083.msg597767#msg597767 date=1194309812]
    Do they have the Death Penalty in SC?  If they do I hope she gets it!!
    [/quote]

We do. She won't get it, though.
    We didn't fry Susan Smith.  :|

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=10083.msg597775#msg597775 date=1194310177]

[/quote]

That's true.  But we can hope....

[quote author=QueenB link=topic=10083.msg597732#msg597732 date=1194306400]
    Mother charged.

[/quote]

Oh this is good news! Thanks for the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=10083.msg597775#msg597775 date=1194310177]

[/quote]

What's the point in having it if you aren't going to use it?
    Do they just reserve it for the brown skinned folks?

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=10083.msg597886#msg597886 date=1194315439]
    What's the point in having it if you aren't going to use it?
    Do they just reserve it for the brown skinned folks?
    [/quote]

Nah, just the menfolk, like Pee-Wee Gaskins and Larry Gene Bell.

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=10083.msg597908#msg597908 date=1194316416]

Nah, just the menfolk, like Pee-Wee Gaskins and Larry Gene Bell.
    [/quote]

And people still bitch that women get a raw deal  :roll:

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=10083.msg597920#msg597920 date=1194317094]
    And people still bitch that women get a raw deal  :roll:
    [/quote]

Yup.

Ah, well, Larry Gene Bell and Pee-Wee Gaskins deserved to fry, for sure. But so did Susan Smith, IMO.

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=10083.msg597923#msg597923 date=1194317207]
    Yup.

Ah, well, Larry Gene Bell and Pee-Wee Gaskins deserved to fry, for sure. But so did Susan Smith, IMO.
    [/quote]

If anyone ever deserved to fry.

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=10083.msg597927#msg597927 date=1194317381]
    If anyone ever deserved to fry.
    [/quote]

Isn't that the truth. I think a lot more people need to fry, women included. First we have to recover from bazillions of years of thinking women are the weaker sex and need to be treated differently. Oh, and get over that thing about women having a natural mothering instinct which makes them willing to do anything to protect their children.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=10083.msg598158#msg598158 date=1194351055]
    Isn't that the truth. I think a lot more people need to fry, women included. First we have to recover from bazillions of years of thinking women are the weaker sex and need to be treated differently. Oh, and get over that thing about women having a natural mothering instinct which makes them willing to do anything to protect their children.
    [/quote]

Having a child doesn't make you a mother! I agree, women should be treated as equal with punishments. I think women commit more brutal murders then men! Get us at the wrong time of the month and we'll mutilate! :2tongue:

Some women need to realize just because a child came out of them doesn't mean they are the rightful caretaker!
    <br />Kitty loves MDS.

Thanks for the update, this one has stayed on my mind because i couldn't find anything new for ages and they seemed so sure she was guilty.

Didn't Susan Smith kill her children because her boyfriend left her as he didn't want the kid? Wonder what snapped this mum into doing it then covering it up.

When will they sentence her?

[quote author=stankgyna link=topic=10083.msg598755#msg598755 date=1194376742] I agree, women should be treated as equal with punishments. I think women commit more brutal murders then men! Get us at the wrong time of the month and we'll mutilate! :2tongue: [/quote]

This is truer than you know.&nbsp; I used to work with a victim's group that was primarily dedicated to assisting survivors of homicide victims.&nbsp; Believe it or not, almost half of our victim families had male friends/relatives killed by women.&nbsp; But the sentences of the vast majority of the female perpetrators were much more lenient than their murderous male counterparts.&nbsp;

You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=10083.msg599042#msg599042 date=1194384354]
    Thanks for the update, this one has stayed on my mind because i couldn't find anything new for ages and they seemed so sure she was guilty.

Didn't Susan Smith kill her children because her boyfriend left her as he didn't want the kid? Wonder what snapped this mum into doing it then covering it up.

When will they sentence her?
    [/quote]

They haven't taken her to court yet.&nbsp; They just charged her.

Thread Information