Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lyndsey Miles (15) was shot to death while sleeping over at a friend's house

Re: Lyndsey Miles (15) was shot to death while sleeping over at a friend's house

[quote author=Morbid Curiousity link=topic=10037.msg542442#msg542442 date=1190221537]
    My father is bipolar and has killed possibly two people. There are levels of crazy.
    [/quote]
    wow that's a pretty strong statement.  scary too. 

Re: Lyndsey Miles (15) was shot to death while sleeping over at a friend's house

[quote author=noseynelly link=topic=10037.msg543378#msg543378 date=1190310597]
    No offense meant here but women theses days should be very careful about who
    they allow in their homes.  Also, parents should be careful of who they allow
    their children to spend the night with!
    [/quote]

Ya think?  This is 2007, not 1907. If you've picked up a newspaper in the last quarter century I think you know that, no offense.

they allow in their homes.  Also, parents should be careful of who they allow
    [/quote]

You would think with things like this going on that would be the case, it is however not to be. Look into the threads where women let their boyfriends beat their infants and small children to death. Just as there are different levels of crazy, there are also different levels of stupid.
    <br />&quot;If you aren&#039;t going to use the head on your shoulders, I will remove it by any means necessary .&quot; <br />

they allow in their homes.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

Apparently she thought she knew him pretty well and didn't have reason to be concerned. I'm sure if she'd known about the crack and gun he would have been out on his ear but that stuff is easy to hide. Helping down and out friends has it's risks and rewards.

Maybe she knew more than the article says and just ignored it.

Also, parents should be careful of who they allow
    That's always been a great idea. But keep it in perspective. Something like this happens so rarely. We're reading about the very few weird and bizarre things that happen in a big world. If you spent your life worrying your kid was going to be murdered at a friends house you'd miss out on a lot of really important stuff that does need worrying about. Car wrecks and suicide are what really kill teens.

Does stuff like this happen more often today than in years past or are we just hearing more about it in the new media? I remember reading that the Soviet media never reported on plane crashes. Once the Berlin wall fell and and plane crashes were reported people became concerned that air travel was no longer safe. In reality it was just about the same.

RIP Lyndsey

[quote author=bj2048 link=topic=10037.msg543649#msg543649 date=1190318222]
    Apparently she thought she knew him pretty well and didn't have reason to be concerned. I'm sure if she'd known about the crack and gun he would have been out on his ear but that stuff is easy to hide. Helping down and out friends has it's risks and rewards.

Maybe she knew more than the article says and just ignored it.

That's always been a great idea. But keep it in perspective. Something like this happens so rarely. We're reading about the very few weird and bizarre things that happen in a big world. If you spent your life worrying your kid was going to be murdered at a friends house you'd miss out on a lot of really important stuff that does need worrying about. Car wrecks and suicide are what really kill teens.

Does stuff like this happen more often today than in years past or are we just hearing more about it in the new media? I remember reading that the Soviet media never reported on plane crashes. Once the Berlin wall fell and and plane crashes were reported people became concerned that air travel was no longer safe. In reality it was just about the same.

RIP Lyndsey
    [/quote]
    Good point.&nbsp; I def. don't feel the world has become a more violent or unsafe place...come on, invading mongols?&nbsp; But we KNOW how dangerous it is now.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=10037.msg543653#msg543653 date=1190318842]
    Good point.&nbsp; I def. don't feel the world has become a more violent or unsafe place...come on, invading mongols?&nbsp; But we KNOW how dangerous it is now.
    [/quote]

Ok, I have to admit to being wrong about homicide not being a major cause of death for teens. It's actually #2 or #3 depending on the age group. Still way behind accidents.

On the lighter side, while searching for this I found a page on WrongDiagnosis.com which talks about the prognosis for someone diagnosed with homicide. Another page there talks abouts treatment and includes this gem:

Encourage the patient to move to a quiet location—free from noise, activity, and people—to avoid frightening or stimulating him further.
    As if there was any choice.&nbsp; :2thescream:

Bill

[edited to fix the link]

----------------------------------------------------

For ages 15-19 years, the top ten causes of death in USA 1999 were:

&nbsp; &nbsp; * accidents (48.5% of deaths),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * homicide (15.2%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * suicide (11.7%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * cancer (5.4%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * heart diseases (3.4%),

Top Causes of Death: For ages 10-14 years, the top ten causes of death in USA 1999 were:

&nbsp; &nbsp; * accidents (39.6% of deaths),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * cancer (12.2%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * homicide (6.0%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * suicide (5.9%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * congenital defects including chromosome conditions (5.4%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * heart disease (3.9%),

[quote author=bj2048 link=topic=10037.msg543667#msg543667 date=1190320054]
    Ok, I have to admit to being wrong about homicide not being a major cause of death for teens. It's actually #2 or #3 depending on the age group. Still way behind accidents.

On the lighter side, while searching for this I found a page on WrongDiagnosis.com which talks about the prognosis for someone diagnosed with homicide. Another page there talks abouts treatment and includes this gem:

As if there was any choice.&nbsp; :2thescream:

Bill

[edited to fix the link]

----------------------------------------------------

For ages 15-19 years, the top ten causes of death in USA 1999 were:

&nbsp; &nbsp; * accidents (48.5% of deaths),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * homicide (15.2%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * suicide (11.7%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * cancer (5.4%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * heart diseases (3.4%),

Top Causes of Death: For ages 10-14 years, the top ten causes of death in USA 1999 were:

&nbsp; &nbsp; * accidents (39.6% of deaths),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * cancer (12.2%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * homicide (6.0%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * suicide (5.9%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * congenital defects including chromosome conditions (5.4%),
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * heart disease (3.9%),

[/quote]
    Oh I was referring to your analysis on media coverage.&nbsp; I agree with that point.&nbsp; I think a lot of people tend to forget that compared to some of the atrocities that occured years ago, or are still happening in places where the media don't report it, we live in an imprefect, but reduced crime zone.

From her myspace survey:&nbsp; How do you want to die?&nbsp; In my sleep.

God I hate that question!&nbsp; As a rule, I'm not a survey taker anyway, but after spending time on MDS I refuse to answer that question on grounds that it will... well... come true I guess.

This is just horrible.&nbsp; I can't begin to imagine what her family and her friend's family are going through.

RIP Lyndsey....
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=10037.msg543672#msg543672 date=1190320512]
    Oh I was referring to your analysis on media coverage.&nbsp; I agree with that point.&nbsp; I think a lot of people tend to forget that compared to some of the atrocities that occured years ago, or are still happening in places where the media don't report it, we live in an imprefect, but reduced crime zone.
    [/quote]

Sorry, I meant to reply to myself about the statistics. I was just wondering if my gut feel was right. I should do that before posting. lol

Yeah, the new media is nice but it can be deceiving. We live in a massively safer world today. Just think about our health. In the 19th century people would have a lot of kids expecting some of them wouldn't make it for one reason or another. Not to mention biblical stories of invading armies committing real genocide.&nbsp; :-o I'm pretty sure neither Canada or Mexico will do that.

Bill

[quote author=allcolorsandnone link=topic=10037.msg542933#msg542933 date=1190255442]
    Searching through their county criminal court records - available for free - I was able to see that this trial is still ongoing.&nbsp; Jeez, her poor family.

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.go...caseSearch.asp

9/18/2007&nbsp; &nbsp; 122 - ME: Mental Exam Experts Appt - Party (001)&nbsp; 9/18/2007&nbsp;

Future scheduled dates -

10/23/2007 8:30 &nbsp; Status Conference
    [/quote]

Good find. I looked everywhere. I guess I didn't get deep enough into the county's site. I didn't find any follow-up news articles.&nbsp; You would think this would be a case meriting some follow up.

did anyone ever find the girls who's house she was at?

I hope those people are doing better..imagine how guilty they must feel:(
    &#039;Give me one more medicated peaceful moment...because I don&#039;t want to feel this overwhelming hostility&#039;-apc<br /><br /><br /><br />fuuuuuuck YOU buddy ;].

[quote author=morbidxtracy link=topic=10037.msg544205#msg544205 date=1190392901]
    did anyone ever find the girls who's house she was at?

I hope those people are doing better..imagine how guilty they must feel:(
    [/quote]

I don't know that they ever told her name because she is a minor and also not at fault in any way.

yaoipowy

Wow poor girl, this is really scary.&nbsp; I'd bet anything he tried to come on to her and got pissed off when she rejected his old ass.&nbsp; He looks like a molester too.

[quote author=Morbid Curiousity link=topic=10037.msg544248#msg544248 date=1190395523]
    I don't know that they ever told her name because she is a minor and also not at fault in any way.
    [/quote]

Makes you wonder if he ever tried/did anything with her if that was indeed his motive.

I know this is really old, but I am a friend of Lyndsey and her family and just have to speak up.

Lyndsey had spent the night there many times. There was no cause for concern. Her mom and her friend's mom went to school with the guy and there had been no reason for her to not let her spend the night.

The man waved his right to a trial, plead guilty by insanity, and was sentenced to life in the mental asylum.

It kills her family everyday that this happened... especially since the girls had been friends their whole lives. There was no sexual abuse. He had no motive. He was just very, very far gone on drugs. Lundsey fell asleep on the couch while the girls watched a movie and then they left her there to sleep instead of waking her up to go to her friend's room.

Her mom was an amazing mom. Still is to her brother. She is still so depressed over losing Lyndsey and I miss her to this day. She was my childhood best friend.

I know that no one probably is even around that followed this back in the day, just had to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Barker View Post
    I know this is really old, but I am a friend of Lyndsey and her family and just have to speak up.

Lyndsey had spent the night there many times. There was no cause for concern. Her mom and her friend's mom went to school with the guy and there had been no reason for her to not let her spend the night.

The man waved his right to a trial, plead guilty by insanity, and was sentenced to life in the mental asylum.

It kills her family everyday that this happened... especially since the girls had been friends their whole lives. There was no sexual abuse. He had no motive. He was just very, very far gone on drugs. Lundsey fell asleep on the couch while the girls watched a movie and then they left her there to sleep instead of waking her up to go to her friend's room.

Her mom was an amazing mom. Still is to her brother. She is still so depressed over losing Lyndsey and I miss her to this day. She was my childhood best friend.

I know that no one probably is even around that followed this back in the day, just had to post.
    thank you for posting and i'm sorry for the loss of your friend. it's good to know that the man who did this took responsibility without having to put her family through trial and will never be able to hurt anyone again!

rip lyndsey!
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Thread Information