Thread: Shane Eaglesham (17) died when his vehicle was hit by an old lady in an SUV

Shane Eaglesham (17) died when his vehicle was hit by an old lady in an SUV

http://www.mydeathspace.com/article/2007/09/05/Shane_Eaglesham_(17)_died_when_his_vehicle_was_hit _by_an_elderly_lady_driving_a_SUV

:roll:

And I thought my rant about SUV drivers was done on the other thread. 

SUV + Old Lady Driver = DISASTER.

RIP Shane

Re: Shane Eaglesham (17) died when his vehicle was hit by an old lady in an SUV

like i keep saying, should be a cutoff age for driver's licenses!!!

[quote author=kimmy4lsu link=topic=9783.msg525756#msg525756 date=1188926066]
    like i keep saying, should be a cutoff age for driver's licenses!!!
    [/quote]

agreed...not even counting the vehicle on vehicle accidents....how many more stores do old people have to drive through before people start putting some limits down?
    something new will be here shortly

[quote author=Digital_Utopia link=topic=9783.msg525758#msg525758 date=1188926356]
    agreed...not even counting the vehicle on vehicle accidents....how many more stores do old people have to drive through before people start putting some limits down?
    [/quote]

haha, makes me not want to move to florida, old people capital of the world....

[quote author=kimmy4lsu link=topic=9783.msg525768#msg525768 date=1188927776]
    haha, makes me not want to move to florida, old people capital of the world....
    [/quote]

yeah, true...but it's kinda like the zoo....they're in controlled environment, so they're not as dangerous as they'd be out in the "wild" :lol:
    something new will be here shortly

I don't think there should be a mandatory AGE at which a drivers license should be surrendered, however; at a certain age, annual drivers tests should be administered.  My grandma is 83, and is a completely competent, safe driver.  It would be completely unfair to take away her driving privileges.  Another random 83 year old might be a danger on the road, but an age cutoff alone is not enough.  Vision, hearing, and driving tests should be administered to determine if an individual elderly person is OK to drive.  Taking away the license of EVERYONE over a certain age is asinine and discriminatory.
    born to be down

Who here has seen the South Park episode, Grey Dawn?

[quote author=MorbidlyLovely link=topic=9783.msg525368#msg525368 date=1188896893]SUV + Old Lady Driver = DISASTER.[/quote]

No kidding!  Way too much car for a little old lady.  Altho I didn't see any mention in the article of the other driver so I suppose the info that she was elderly must have come from whoever reported the death.

Regarding mandatory testing for elderly drivers - make that behind the wheel testing.  My 96 year old uncle just got his driver's license renewed in NJ for FIVE YEARS!  He said they tested his vision.  Mentally, he's very alert, but he's stone cold deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other.  And he walks.... no, he actually shuffles with a walker.  I'm not exaggerating when I say it takes him 15 minutes to walk 30 feet from the curb to his front door.  It's downright painful to watch.  I want to run outside and carry him in to the house.  Now I ask you, when his feet are moving that slow, what kind of reaction time will he require to slam on the brakes if some kid runs out in front of his car?  And he's good with the NJ Div of Motor Vehicles until he's 101!
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=9783.msg526049#msg526049 date=1188944627]
    No kidding!  Way too much car for a little old lady.  Altho I didn't see any mention in the article of the other driver so I suppose the info that she was elderly must have come from whoever reported the death.

Regarding mandatory testing for elderly drivers - make that behind the wheel testing.  My 96 year old uncle just got his driver's license renewed in NJ for FIVE YEARS!  He said they tested his vision.  Mentally, he's very alert, but he's stone cold deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other.  And he walks.... no, he actually shuffles with a walker.  I'm not exaggerating when I say it takes him 15 minutes to walk 30 feet from the curb to his front door.  It's downright painful to watch.  I want to run outside and carry him in to the house.  Now I ask you, when his feet are moving that slow, what kind of reaction time will he require to slam on the brakes if some kid runs out in front of his car?  And he's good with the NJ Div of Motor Vehicles until he's 101!
    [/quote]
    I firmly believe at times like that, the family needs to step in and put their feet down.  My grandfather used to come home with mysterious dents in his car until we yanked his keys.  It's terrible for them, mostly because the cities provide such crap transportation services, but necessary.  It was only a matter of time before my grandfather showed up at home with a ten year old stuck to his grill.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=9783.msg526055#msg526055 date=1188944812] I firmly believe at times like that, the family needs to step in and put their feet down.  [/quote]

I agree Bowieluva, and I've spoken to my parents about this.  I don't live in the same country altho I did call the Div of MV about Uncle Bob (Mom's brother) and they gave me the bureaucratic dodge - "As long as he passed the test there's nothing we can do... blah, blah, blah..."  Mom and Dad (who are getting on in years themselves) don't understand my concerns.  They say he's mentally alert and if the Div of MV thought he was a danger they would never have renewed his license for five years.  I think the fact that they gave a 5 year renewal to a 96 year old man says it all!  Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall when I try to explain things to them. 

In the meantime, my dear sweet Uncle Bob is an accident waiting to happen.  I just hope he doesn't take another Shane Eaglesham with him.

RIP Shane...
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

OMG how awful!  I too agree that there should be an age limit.  I was driving on the highway going to work and this woman is coming down the ramp to get on highway going 15 MPH and I look over and the woman is tethered to an OXYGEN TANK!    I was shocked!

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Well where I am, it's a little different for the elderly. Hell, some people that are young don't have a car or a license.
    Hell, I don't have a license myself.
    Getting around here is a given. The public transportation sucks if you ask anyone, but at least you can get around without a car.
    In other places, I can understand where older people still do it, even if they have to do it slowly.
    And not everyone has family to intervene.

I think they should be tested, but instead of annually, it should be bi-monthly or something.
    A lot can change in a year for anyone, but it's even worse when you're 82!
    It would use resources, but instead of needing 20 points of identification to renew your license,
    and having people run back-and-forth to the DMV 6 times, just to register a car.....
    make it easier to do routine shit, and invest more time into keeping the roads safe.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

What happens is, they cry.  My grandma cried when she failed her test and the guy passed her.  what's he going to do?  Here's an eighty five year old woman, sobbing in his car that she may as well die.  They feel bad.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=9783.msg526513#msg526513 date=1188967434]
    What happens is, they cry.  My grandma cried when she failed her test and the guy passed her.  what's he going to do?  Here's an eighty five year old woman, sobbing in his car that she may as well die.  They feel bad.
    [/quote]
    :lol: Feel? At the DMV! Your grandma is a liar, sorry to break it to you. Who knows what she had to do to actually pass. :roll:
    But I don't see any of the robots having any feelings. :lol:

And Grey Dawn cracked me the fuck up! :lol: Love that episode. Not even safe upstairs in their house. Brilliant!

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=9783.msg526515#msg526515 date=1188967568]
    :lol: Feel? At the DMV! Your grandma is a liar, sorry to break it to you. Who knows what she had to do to actually pass. :roll:
    But I don't see any of the robots having any feelings. :lol:

And Grey Dawn cracked me the fuck up! :lol: Love that episode. Not even safe upstairs in their house. Brilliant!
    [/quote]

During my dmv visit, I horribly failed the back up part.  Like insane. And the guy was like, whatever, you pass, I need a sandwhich.

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=9783.msg526516#msg526516 date=1188967640]
    During my dmv visit, I horribly failed the back up part.  Like insane. And the guy was like, whatever, you pass, I need a sandwhich.
    [/quote]
    You make me wanna go take the test now.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=9783.msg526826#msg526826 date=1188979356]
    You make me wanna go take the test now.
    [/quote]

haha, glad i'm not in NYC.....be careful, Ron!  lol

[quote author=kimmy4lsu link=topic=9783.msg530239#msg530239 date=1189180705]
    haha, glad i'm not in NYC.....be careful, Ron!  lol
    [/quote]

Thread Information