Thread: Italian Vogue

Italian Vogue

wait about 20 seconds for it to load....
    http://www.voguevanity.it/cont/010fas/photo/default.asp

I'd like to know what y'all think of this ad campaign.  Is it sexy?  Have they gone too far?  What do you think?

Re: Italian Vogue

I have a problem with it because it's dehumanizing women, much like most photo spreads.  Not to mention it makes the police look extremely brutal to (what seem like) harmless citizens.  I realize this is just "art", but I truly believe that the media influence society. 

It doesn't bother me... I just don't get offended very easily.  Might sound stupid, but what's the ad campaign for anyways?

I don't get offended easily, either, but that strikes a chord with me.  It's just a fashion spread for Vogue.

[quote author=HomicidalLlama link=topic=1414.msg48293#msg48293 date=1158183765]
    I don't get offended easily, either, but that strikes a chord with me.Â* It's just a fashion spread for Vogue.
    [/quote]

What Holly had said is true about me too.  I don't usually get keyed up about these kinds of things, but this one really got me.  Objectifying women is so commonplace, that we hardly flinch when we see it, but violent objectification?  This seemed a bit scary to me.  And what Homicidal said is true, too, it recreates stereotypes of police brutality as well.
    At least we can all be thankful that they aren't brutalizing black women in these images, well then I would have even greater problems 

Am I the only person who was able to see the underlying message in this ad campaign?

:lol:  Yeah, I definately missed that one!

All I know is, Italian guys are f'ing hot.  I didn't even look at the girls much, just checked out the duders 

haha it just so happens that I am in media studies in school right now, and one of the things we went over today was ads like that. You may not think of it this way, but subconciously it tells us(Men) that it's alright to do these kinds of things to women, and that it's our duty as men, in order to be men we must be tough, and very strong, etc. This is done through many ads, for the past 30 years, or longer. Think about it the average north american see's over 3000 ads a day, you may think you can ignore the ads, and they don't effect you, but you really are.
    rude bwoy. Brupp. :D<br /><br />STAY UP!

[quote author=Ninjaman link=topic=1414.msg48422#msg48422 date=1158188277]
    haha it just so happens that I am in media studies in school right now, and one of the things we went over today was ads like that. You may not think of it this way, but subconciously it tells us(Men) that it's alright to do these kinds of things to women, and that it's our duty as men, in order to be men we must be tough, and very strong, etc. This is done through many ads, for the past 30 years, or longer. Think about it the average north american see's over 3000 ads a day, you may think you can ignore the ads, and they don't effect you, but you really are.
    [/quote]

Ninjaman, I think I love you&nbsp;
    I'm a sociologist, and therefore fully understand the ramifications of socialization.&nbsp; These types of images inform so much of what we think is right and wrong.&nbsp; Appropriate gender relationships, appropriate sexuality, violence being normalized.&nbsp; Its what its doing to us that we don't even know about that is the problem.&nbsp; I asked a group of 13 year olds girls some questions once during a research project.&nbsp; What I found was that the things that were most important to them were to be pretty, thin, popular, and nice.&nbsp; The least important things?&nbsp; Athletic and intelligent!!&nbsp; These types of images, and others like them make it no surprise that these are the responses of young girls.

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=1414.msg48424#msg48424 date=1158188599]
    [/quote]

Ninjaman, I think I love youÂ*
    I'm a sociologist, and therefore fully understand the ramifications of socialization.Â* These types of images inform so much of what we think is right and wrong.Â* Appropriate gender relationships, appropriate sexuality, violence being normalized.Â* Its what its doing to us that we don't even know about that is the problem.Â* I asked a group of 13 year olds girls some questions once during a research project.Â* What I found was that the things that were most important to them were to be pretty, thin, popular, and nice.Â* The least important things?Â* Athletic and intelligent!!Â* These types of images, and others like them make it no surprise that these are the responses of young girls.
    [/quote]

Wow that's horrible.&nbsp; Though, I remember middle school and it seems right on...

So was it always like that?&nbsp; I'd like to see what 13 year olds 30 years ago would rank most important.

[quote author=holly link=topic=1414.msg48432#msg48432 date=1158188983]
    [quote author=Peavey link=topic=1414.msg48424#msg48424 date=1158188599]
    [/quote]

Ninjaman, I think I love youÂ*
    I'm a sociologist, and therefore fully understand the ramifications of socialization.Â* These types of images inform so much of what we think is right and wrong.Â* Appropriate gender relationships, appropriate sexuality, violence being normalized.Â* Its what its doing to us that we don't even know about that is the problem.Â* I asked a group of 13 year olds girls some questions once during a research project.Â* What I found was that the things that were most important to them were to be pretty, thin, popular, and nice.Â* The least important things?Â* Athletic and intelligent!!Â* These types of images, and others like them make it no surprise that these are the responses of young girls.
    [/quote]

Wow that's horrible.Â* Though, I remember middle school and it seems right on...

So was it always like that?Â* I'd like to see what 13 year olds 30 years ago would rank most important.
    [/quote]

Its just a guess, but I'd guess it would correspond with appropriate sexuality and femininity from that time period.&nbsp; I'd bet stuff like thin, well groomed, a good mother, house-wife, I'm sure nice would still have been important.&nbsp; I'd also bet that intelligent wouldn't have mattered then, either.&nbsp; Many women in the 50's and 60's refrained from voting because their husband's vote was good enough for them.&nbsp;

I'd Tap it.

Well you could link the media to the reason we have many problems today, such as domestic abuse, and high pregnancy rates. But it's not just the media's fault, parents are partly to blame for this, not teaching their children what is acceptable. I was lucky I guess as my parents seemed to have done an alright job. As I as a teenager, don't really follow what the media dictates I should. But there is no doubt everyone is changed by what they see everyday.
    rude bwoy. Brupp. :D<br /><br />STAY UP!

not sexy dehumanizing definitly bet she got about a couple g's for the day's work though &quot;there is no hell all the devils are here&quot; shakespeare
    &quot;Why does the rest of the world put up with the hypocrisy, the need to put a happy face on sorrow&quot; Elizabeth<br />Wurtzel &quot;fear is in our minds&quot; Amy Lee<br />

[quote author=Ninjaman link=topic=1414.msg48675#msg48675 date=1158201886]
    Well you could link the media to the reason we have many problems today, such as domestic abuse, and high pregnancy rates. But it's not just the media's fault, parents are partly to blame for this, not teaching their children what is acceptable. I was lucky I guess as my parents seemed to have done an alright job. As I as a teenager, don't really follow what the media dictates I should. But there is no doubt everyone is changed by what they see everyday.
    [/quote]

Socialization doesn't end there either.&nbsp; Peers, schools, sports, etc...&nbsp; They all contribute to socialization.&nbsp; The media is problematic, in that it is the one constant socializer.&nbsp; Very few people in the country can get away from the media and the ways that people are socialized through it are similar.&nbsp;

I think Britney is right, its all about butt sex.
    &quot;Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.&quot;<br /><br />

I think they are a bit ridiculous. I don't know if they offend me so much as annoy me. I mean come on, are you selling clothes or riot gear or ammo or what?&nbsp; Why have hidden messages/agendas? Why do they have to try to go so &quot;deep&quot; with their advertising? Just show us the freakin' clothes on some women who have larger breasts than my kid brother and be done with it. Geesh!&nbsp;
    Wow...are you really going to wear that?

I dunno, some of those pics were hot, but some of them really disturbed me.&nbsp; The cop with his hand up her dress? Oh hell no. Talk about dehumanizing women just a little bit more.
    Why live in the world, when you can live in your head?

I think the theme is inspired on what seems to be an spreading wave of repression around the world as of late, with pretext of terrorism and such. Sort of like making repression something &quot;fashion&quot;, or maybe I'm reading too much into, either way, I don't mind but some of those girls need to eat a little more. I wonder how her arms didn't break under the weight of the SMG.

Thread Information