Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MyDeathspace on MSNBC

MyDeathspace on MSNBC

Sorry if this is already posted. In that case and many others I am an idiot.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20148567/

OMG! UR totally dead!!!!
    MyDeathSpace.com jerks don’t get that grief actually hurts
      MSN Tech and Gadgets

Updated: 5:50 p.m. ET Aug 6, 2007

Helen A.S. Popkin

On December 8, 2005 at 8:40 p.m., artist Cory Arcangel performed “Friendster Suicide.” It was part of The Believer magazine launch at the P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center in New York City. Somewhere between 50 and 100 audience members witnessed the act, which was prefaced in Archangel’s blog: “Dear Internet, I am writing this to announced that I am going to commit “Friendster Suicide” on Thursday, --- > aka. delete my Friendster account. Yep, I just can’t take it anymore …”

It wasn’t the first time someone ended an Internet life, nor was it the most dramatic. Five years earlier, the suicide of Sheyla Morrison, a beloved 19-year-old EverQuest guide, rocked the online multiplayer game’s virtual community — especially when it turned out the young single mother never existed. But this and similar scams remain the attention-getting gambits of unbalanced online community members. Archangel’s piece, performed post-broadband boom when Friendster was all the rage, heralded social networking to come.

Tongue-in-cheek like many of Archangel’s work (which includes Super Mario video game hacks and glockenspiels), “Friendster Suicide,” nonetheless grew solemn as the artist approached the final command. He paused unrehearsed before hitting the key that completely and irretrievably deleted his Friendster account — the impressive friend count, the testimonials, the e-mail exchanges, everything. It was an intimate act, funny, graceful and sincere — nothing like the ugly grief exploitation of faked gamer deaths ... or the latest Internet atrocity dealing with real death, MyDeathSpace.com.

Still, stand back far enough, and you get a pretty interesting picture of how we Americans handle death on the Internet — just like IRL (in real life), not very well.

Founded by 26-year-old paralegal Mike Patterson, MyDeathSpace.com posts the MySpace profiles of the dead — mostly teenagers and 20-somethings. Any connected news stories are featured, as well as forums where site members discuss the deceased, his or her MySpace profile, and the manner of death. Oddly, several news gathering agencies (apparently without Internet access) write about the site as a place where youths can grieve, express their feelings, get support and hugs and flowers and teddy bears and God and the Bible and blah blah blah. It is not.

MyDeathSpace.com, with its amateur HTML, cartoon skull graphics and pop-up and banner ads, is a parasitic business that exists solely to exploit another business (that would be MySpace) — and Death. Not to worry – MySpace and Death can take it. Now let’s talk about grieving family and friends who, via Google happen upon MyDeathSpace.com forum exchanges in which a loved one’s death receives the same vitriolic snark Television Without Pity members might use to shred a particularly awful episode of “The O.C.”

In an adept Salon.com story about the site, Jamie Pietras includes an anecdote about woman who identified herself as the mother and grandmother of the murder victims discussed in a MyDeathSpace.com forum. When she dared to criticize the cruel conversation, she received this tender response: “I am sorry about your loss, but this is AMERICA, land of the free …” 

OK, yeah, let’s all never take for granted the First Amendment right that allows Patterson to operate such a site, even as he paves his way to Hell. And yeah, we’ve all heard his tired-ass offender’s refrain about how if we don’t like it, don’t look at it. (FYI: It ain’t so easy looking away when it’s about someone you love.) But maybe it wouldn’t be quite as rotten if Patterson stopped crowing to reporters that he built MyDeathSpace.com as a warning to kids about how they can die horrible deaths if they’re not careful. Because it’s A) a load of crap and B) if he’s such a genius of the human condition, then he’d know that kids will always die horrible, tragic, stupid deaths. If anything, MyDeathSpace. risks contagion, inspiring kids to try the tragic, stupid things celebrated on the site.

Like CourtTV.com and its sister sites, Crime Library and The Smoking Gun, MyDeathSpace.com is about morbid curiosity. As someone who hits those first three sites every day before breakfast, I’m all for that — so long as you’re not a jerk about it. Black humor is a vital coping mechanism, whether you’re an outsider shaken by the evening news or someone struggling with a loved one’s death. Even the darkest stuff can be okay to laugh at.

For example, the 2006 World of Warcraft funeral massacre: A player passed away IRL (for real this time) and her team organized (and publicized) an in-game memorial for her character. While there are battle-free areas within the game’s environment, the memorial took place in a war zone. You don’t need the History Channel to guess what happened next. In a classic “fish in a barrel” maneuver, enemy fighters descended on the unarmed mourners, pretty much wiping them out. A video of the onslaught popped up all over the Internet (as these things do) and while many in the WoW community were offended, others, along with non-gamers found it hilarious. And while the late gamer's family may have been hurt, the so-called attack was not personal.

World of Warcraft, as the name implies, is about war. That’s what happens in war. Plus, it’s a game. You wouldn’t hold a funeral on an active paintball field ... though if you did, guaranteed hilarity would ensue. Less funny are the implications of a memorial for a real person held in all sincerity within the confines of an online fantasy game. As the line between real and virtual life continues to blur, it’s no wonder some of us are forgetting how to behave.

Like I said, we Americans aren’t very good with death in the first place. Better hooked up to a thousand tubes in a hospital than acknowledge that this all inevitably ends. But in the pre-Internet world, most adequately socialized people knew how to utilize black humor appropriately.

It’s okay to riff on someone’s Darwin Awards manner of death in the comfort of your living room, but you wouldn’t write ROTFLOL in the funeral guest book. That’s what the jerkwads over at the MyDeathSpace.com forums don’t get. It’s also the InterWeb paradox we continue to wrestle.

© 2007 MSNBC Interactive

Hmmm....

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Re: My deathspace on MSNBC

Black humor? :lol:

Yea, like this guy....... OK, now I get it!

Dave does 'dead jokes'?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=9234.msg487317#msg487317 date=1186496958]
    Black humor? :lol:

Yea, like this guy....... OK, now I get it!

Dave does 'dead jokes'?
    [/quote]

RON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WE SAW DAVE YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

And you're a jerkwad Ron!!!

Well, that's infuriating.  That's all I have to say about that.

"That’s what the jerkwads over at the MyDeathSpace.com forums don’t get."

That is some fine journalism.

Is this an MSNBC article or something from a local High School newspaper?

[quote author=Kristinella link=topic=9234.msg487326#msg487326 date=1186497299]

[/quote]

I bet Helen Popkin is Bella's real name :lol:

[quote author=jesserz44 link=topic=9234.msg487321#msg487321 date=1186497063]
    RON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WE SAW DAVE YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [/quote]
    Saw Dave? I thought you meant performing, butt you meant in like the barn acroos from yours, right?
    He lives out there..... I believe.

[quote author=suttan link=topic=9234.msg487322#msg487322 date=1186497101]
    :lol:
    And you're a jerkwad Ron!!!
    [/quote]

Like I said, we Americans aren’t very good with death in the first place. Better hooked up to a thousand tubes in a hospital than acknowledge that this all inevitably ends.
    That was the only part of the article that didn't make me wanna hit the author with a stick. That was actually pretty good.
    The rest...

[/quote]
    Seriously.  I've never seen so much sarcasm in a "news" article.   

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=9234.msg487329#msg487329 date=1186497386]
    Saw Dave? I thought you meant performing, butt you meant in like the barn acroos from yours, right?

That was the only part of the article that didn't make me wanna hit the author with a stick. That was actually pretty good.
    The rest...
    [/quote]

ohio
    [quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=4526.msg172502#msg172502 date=1170561506]<br />How can you have any lack of love for SG!?!?<br /><br />I tink shes more kewler then most!<br />[/quote]

Are we in 2nd grade?

Jerkwads!!!!!!!

AHHHHHAAAAHHAAA!!!!!!!!!!

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=9234.msg487329#msg487329 date=1186497386]

[/quote]

Walking the streets of Georgetown yesterday &nbsp; Well, at least we're about 98.029384% positive it was him.&nbsp;

&quot;That’s what the jerkwads over at the MyDeathSpace.com forums don’t get.&quot;

[/quote]

Yeah, I know I couldn't believe it when I saw it!

This writer is a&nbsp;

From what I have been able to tell, most people just want to make fun of the ALIVE tards on MS.

Why does no one get ..that people post some RIPS..then move on to real targets?&nbsp; hmm well maybe that's just me lol.

Ahh, I love a writer who has no sense of the ironic.&nbsp;
    [quote author=LizMachine link=topic=7333.msg491061#msg491061 date=1186632365]<br /> NickelBack makes my heart cry! And ICP makes EVERYbody cry! [/quote]

Wow. After reading that fine piece of unbiased and nonjudgmental journalism, I couldn't be more proud to be a member. :-)

&quot;That’s what the jerkwads over at the MyDeathSpace.com forums don’t get.&quot;

[/quote]
    Maybe a graduate of the Dick Cheney School of Journalism?

&quot;MDS Users Can Go Fuck Themselves&quot;
    (AP)

Helen A.S. Popkin

Fair, and balanced. Not to mention classy. :lol:

[quote author=jesserz44 link=topic=9234.msg487337#msg487337 date=1186497629]
    Walking the streets of Georgetown yesterday &nbsp; Well, at least we're about 98.029384% positive it was him.&nbsp;
    [/quote]
    No silly. That was me.

Hehhehe, kidding...I trust your judgment. But I wouldn't let Bud try and pick me out of a lineup. :lol:

She apparently does her &quot;research&quot; by trolling Chat House for the most cliched teenage netspeak.

I would expect a poster on the &quot;My Super Sweet 16&quot; board on MTV to provide a review such as this.

Her style of journalism is better suited as a chat room lure for &quot;To Catch a Predator&quot;.&nbsp;

&quot;OK, yeah, let’s all never take for granted the First Amendment right that allows Patterson to operate such a site, even as he paves his way to Hell.&quot;

I dunno why but this bit made me laugh.&nbsp; Paves his way to Hell?&nbsp;

I don't think I can take anyone who calls people jerkwads seriously

i do not consider CourtTV morbid at all.&nbsp; ???

this guy is tardcore for shizzle.
    Don&#39;t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.<br /><br />[quote author=bowieluva link=action=profile;u=5553 date=1236809919]<br />ALEX IS WATCHING YOU THROUGH A HOLE IN HIS FACE [/quote]

the sarcastic and caustic use of &quot;teh web speak&quot; was my personal favorite.
    ROTFLOLIRLIMOOMGFTW!&nbsp;

zoinks scooby.&nbsp;

seriously though, you guys are a bunch of jerkwads.
    doodooheads and stupidfaces too.
    maybe you should take your lectures elsewhere. like to a convention of people who enjoy lectures.

[quote author=waltflannigansdog link=topic=9234.msg487355#msg487355 date=1186498448]
    the sarcastic and caustic use of &quot;teh web speak&quot; was my personal favorite.
    ROTFLOLIRLIMOOMGFTW!&nbsp;

zoinks scooby.&nbsp;

seriously though, you guys are a bunch of jerkwads.
    doodooheads and stupidfaces too.
    [/quote]
    When adults argue like children it makes me want to set them on fire.

&quot;A woman should have the right to choose.&quot;

&quot;You wanna kill babies you stupidhead&quot;

Makes me wish I had a bottle of hepatitis and a squirt gun.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=9234.msg487362#msg487362 date=1186498615]
    When adults argue like children it makes me want to set them on fire.

&quot;A woman should have the right to choose.&quot;

&quot;You wanna kill babies you stupidhead&quot;

Makes me wish I had a bottle of hepatitis and a squirt gun.
    [/quote]

&quot;i was trying to argue the right of life with her, but she turned out to be a huge kakaface, so i stopped.&quot;

i love when people use namecalling as a legitimate arguing tool.&nbsp;
    maybe you should take your lectures elsewhere. like to a convention of people who enjoy lectures.

[quote author=leapfreak link=topic=9234.msg487351#msg487351 date=1186498252]
    &quot;OK, yeah, let’s all never take for granted the First Amendment right that allows Patterson to operate such a site, even as he paves his way to Hell.&quot;

I dunno why but this bit made me laugh.&nbsp; Paves his way to Hell?&nbsp;

I don't think I can take anyone who calls people jerkwads seriously
    [/quote]
    me too!!!!! laughed my ass off.&nbsp; i suppose that makes us pavers too.&nbsp; :lol:

Was there a point to that article? I think I missed it if it had one.

These are the comments/discussion that have been left for her article.

Poster1Message #1
    08/06/07 05:49 PM &nbsp; &nbsp;
    &nbsp;
    Is MyDeathSpace evil?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Grand WazooMessage #2
    08/07/07 09:03 AM

Evil ?
    Compared to a lot of other things, probably not.

A mean spirited, juvenile watering hole for trolls, keyboard muggers, misfits and borderline sociopaths ?

Absolutely.

If there's any justice in all of it, it looks like all of the attention showered on the site recently has also brought the attention of someone who doesn't like them very much as it seems the site has been attacked with viruses over the last few days.

Reaping what he's sown I'd say. . . . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TashlenarMessage #3
    08/07/07 09:36 AM

Tame.

Thread Information