Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars fall in Mississippi after collapse

Re: So my whole bridge fear..

At least now I know my fear of them is not that irrational at all.
    [quote author=Cap-n Meow link=topic=11868.msg845550#msg845550 date=1210298679]<br />Only difference is bbc is awesome.<br />[/quote]<br />

the color nine

Re: Cars fall in Mississippi after collapse

They are claiming it was inspected in 2004 but also there was construction work being done last night.&nbsp; Not good.

When something like this happens, we realize our fears are so unreasonable after all!

I hope the death toll doesn't go up too much. But, I have a hard time believing only 3 deaths is going to be it.

I hate random shit like this.

RIP wrong place wrong time people.

[quote author=ImpalePonytail link=topic=9098.msg480019#msg480019 date=1186015234]
    I made another thread about this in general..sorry..

This just hits really close to home :(

My family is ok but I don't know about anyone else I may know that could have been there.
    [/quote]
    Same.&nbsp; My aunt called my parents in tears since she was worried about them.&nbsp; I was mountain biking and get back to a text message 'bridge collapses into Mississippi'.&nbsp; :|&nbsp; I have so many friends that commute that way to the U.&nbsp; &nbsp; Gonna be a long night. :-(

I am absolutely terrified to drive over bridges because I am always scared something like this may happen.Nice to know all of my fear wasn't in vain and that bridges really do cave in!

They're saying at least six dead right now.&nbsp; I'm sure with the reported 15-60 cars going into the river, it's going to be far, far more than that.&nbsp;

RIP Victims

OMG! Bridges that go over water scare the crap out of me. CNN is saying 30-50 cars in the water.&nbsp; :-o How tall is that bridge? I saw 35W and thought of the highway I used to take to work when I lived in Texas.

[quote author=Squirt link=topic=9099.msg480093#msg480093 date=1186021695]
    OMG! Bridges that go over water scare the crap out of me. CNN is saying 30-50 cars in the water.&nbsp; :-o How tall is that bridge? I saw 35W and thought of the highway I used to take to work when I lived in Texas.
    [/quote]

The height was 64 ft. So a pretty big drop... :2sad:

[quote author=ImpalePonytail link=topic=9099.msg480100#msg480100 date=1186021949]
    The height was 64 ft. So a pretty big drop... :2sad:
    [/quote]

Holy shit! That is a long drop. We have the Royal Gorge suspension bridge in our area. I hate walking on that thing because it moves. I would have a panic attack driving over it.

I'm glad your sisters are accounted for. I just called my dad. He's a structural engineer for the highway dept. He designs and inspects bridges. He was pretty astounded to see what is happening with all these bridges lately.

What I wrote from the other thread...

&quot;When something like this happens, we realize our fears are so unreasonable after all!

I hope the death toll doesn't go up too much. But, I have a hard time believing only 3 deaths is going to be it.&quot;

Also, I hear they were only filling pot holes and resurfacing. Also, they often had lanes closed to do the work, it has had bumper to bumper cars day and night. If that is the case maybe it caused some weakening due to the extended lengths of time with the added weight.

I hope the death toll stays low, 6 deaths isn't as bad as I was expecting an hour ago.

Oh god!
    That is so terrifying! No wonder I have fear of heights!
    I am glad your family wasn't harmed though!

[quote author=Squirt link=topic=9099.msg480106#msg480106 date=1186022336]
    Holy shit! That is a long drop. We have the Royal Gorge suspension bridge in our area. I hate walking on that thing because it moves. I would have a panic attack driving over it.

I'm glad your sisters are accounted for. I just called my dad. He's a structural engineer for the highway dept. He designs and inspects bridges. He was pretty astounded to see what is happening with all these bridges lately.
    [/quote]

What else is happening with other bridges??

I seriously need to find some new routes to get around now...bridges scare the shit out of me at this moment in time.

[quote author=ImpalePonytail link=topic=9099.msg480114#msg480114 date=1186023004]
    What else is happening with other bridges??

I seriously need to find some new routes to get around now...bridges scare the shit out of me at this moment in time.
    [/quote]

A bridge in California collapsed on a FedEx truck yesterday. The driver only had a sprained ankle and some cuts.

At least bridges are visibly doing this anymore -
    [youtube=425,350]gHgQALH9-7M[/youtube]

[quote author=death roe link=topic=9098.msg480112#msg480112 date=1186022734]
    What I wrote from the other thread...

&quot;When something like this happens, we realize our fears are so unreasonable after all!

I hope the death toll doesn't go up too much. But, I have a hard time believing only 3 deaths is going to be it.&quot;

Also, I hear they were only filling pot holes and resurfacing. Also, they often had lanes closed to do the work, it has had bumper to bumper cars day and night. If that is the case maybe it caused some weakening due to the extended lengths of time with the added weight.

I hope the death toll stays low, 6 deaths isn't as bad as I was expecting an hour ago.

[/quote]

I heard that jack hammers were being used.&nbsp; I bet this caused the bridge to reach its mechanical resonance, and thus collapse.&nbsp; I also just heard that witnesses said that the collapse had a domino affect, this would be characteristic of mechanical resonance.&nbsp; This would be similar to what happened to the Tacoma narrows bridge up in Tacoma Washington.&nbsp; Instead of wind being the root cause, it was the vibration caused by the jack hammer.&nbsp;

Tacoma Narrows Bridge

Mecanical Resonance

I'm pretty irrational when it comes to this kind of shit - I'm afraid of train tracks AND bridges.

Glad your sister is okay though.

Nine confirmed dead.&nbsp;
    With all this talk of thinking outside the box, I am beginning to wonder what&#039;s left inside the box. -Me

[quote author=Budweiser Drinker link=topic=9098.msg480194#msg480194 date=1186027916]
    I heard that jack hammers were being used.&nbsp; I bet this caused the bridge to reach its mechanical resonance, and thus collapse.&nbsp; I also just heard that witnesses said that the collapse had a domino affect, this would be characteristic of mechanical resonance.&nbsp; This would be similar to what happened to the Tacoma narrows bridge up in Tacoma Washington.&nbsp; Instead of wind being the root cause, it was the vibration caused by the jack hammer.&nbsp;

Tacoma Narrows Bridge

Mecanical Resonance
    [/quote]

Hmmm, interesting. I also think the stalled traffic being only on one side of the bridge had to have an effect too. Stressing areas not really made to handle it, then to have the jackhammering going on....boy what a deadly combination.

My first thought was for my ex's family.&nbsp;

I saw this on the news this morning....Jesus....I can't even think of anything remotely constructive to say other than shit like this and that other time (Boston?) when the tunnel collapsed and killed that lady...really freaks me out.

RIP peoples.

[quote author=JustGretch link=topic=9098.msg480297#msg480297 date=1186032884]
    Nine confirmed dead.&nbsp;
    [/quote]Five people reported &quot;feeling better&quot; and &quot;not wanting to go on the cart&quot;.

Death toll lowered to 4.

this is such bad taste of me to be making light of the situation.

My bff4e takes this bridge to and from work everyday - I told her that we should both be thankful that she sucks at her job and leaves work early each day!

She said she just saw ((as in two minutes ago)) footage of the actual collapse on one of their local news stations.&nbsp; We're both looking for it online, so I'll post it as soon as we find it.

[quote author=jesserz44 link=topic=9098.msg480551#msg480551 date=1186058868]
    My bff4e takes this bridge to and from work everyday - I told her that we should both be thankful that she sucks at her job and leaves work early each day!

She said she just saw ((as in two minutes ago)) footage of the actual collapse on one of their local news stations.&nbsp; We're both looking for it online, so I'll post it as soon as we find it.
    [/quote]They were playing it on cnn.com

http://www.cnn.com/

front page!

[quote author=Cap-n Meow link=topic=9098.msg480552#msg480552 date=1186059101]
    They were playing it on cnn.com
    [/quote]

Haha yeah, that's exactly what she just wrote back.

Here's the link:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/08/02...ml#cnnSTCVideo

She said they have closed all the bridges into Minneapolis so it's like a grown up version of a snow day for her...

Thread Information