Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctors' family (Petit) held hostage, robbed, slaughtered.

Re: Doctors family held hostage, robbed, slaughtered.

True, there is no excuse for that shit. Fry em.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=8906.msg1726772#msg1726772 date=1285953241]
    You're not a sadist trying to cover your ass with a lame excuse.  That link is evidence of why this story doesn't get a large amount of coverage, they mention "one" of the girls was sexually assaulted when everyone knows which one it was.   The details are too scary for the mainstream to print.  This case shouldn't be sugar coated.
    [/quote]

I have heard of this story for a long time in the media, and it has been on the front pages of CNN for at least 10 days.

I agree that the mainstream is afraid to talk about the details though. I think that is a major problem in our country. A lot of our citizens think if we don't talk about it, it doesn't exist. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39502695/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

A Connecticut jury is deliberating in the trial of a man charged in the home-invasion killings of a woman and her two daughters in 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=8906.msg1728996#msg1728996 date=1286225773]
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39502695/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

A Connecticut jury is deliberating in the trial of a man charged in the home-invasion killings of a woman and her two daughters in 2007.

[/quote]

I can't imagine what's taking them so long. I'd like to inject this guy myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=Circe link=topic=8906.msg1727255#msg1727255 date=1285986006]
    I have heard of this story for a long time in the media, and it has been on the front pages of CNN for at least 10 days.

I agree that the mainstream is afraid to talk about the details though. I think that is a major problem in our country. A lot of our citizens think if we don't talk about it, it doesn't exist. 
    [/quote]

CNN made more mention of the details today. Not more info, but at least they are mentioning some of the more uncomfortable parts we all know. While it is terrifying to hear, it puts the ugly right on it's face.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/04/connecticut.murder.trial/index.html

Guilty!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/05/connecticut.murder.trial/index.html

(CNN) -- A Connecticut jury on Tuesday found Steven Hayes guilty of murder in the slayings of a mother and her two daughters in a 2007 home invasion.

Steven Hayes, 47, who has pleaded not guilty, is on trial in New Haven, Connecticut, in the slayings of Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her two daughters.

The killings took place in the New Haven suburb of Cheshire, Connecticut, early on July 23, 2007. The home of William Petit, his wife, Hawke-Petit, and two daughters was invaded in the middle of the night by Hayes and co-defendant Joshua Komisarjevsky, prosecutors say.

Komisarjevsky will be tried separately.

On the first day of deliberations Monday, Judge Jon Blue told the jury: "You are the sole judges of the facts."

"We're in the home stretch," the judge said after going over all 17 counts with the jury. "No one will hurry you to produce a verdict."

Their first duty will be to pick a foreman, and their verdict must be unanimous, the judge reminded the jurors.

Soon after starting their deliberations, the jurors asked for a transcript of an interview by a state police detective, who spoke to Hayes soon after his arrest. The judge offered to have the testimony read back -- which the jurors declined.

Later in the day, they sent a note to the judge asking for a definition of what constitutes starting a fire. Their deliberations Monday ran just over 2 hours.

Before the jury got the case, prosecutor Michael Dearington laid out an elaborate timeline of events, fully implicating Hayes and Komisarjevsky in the killings.

"We've reached the point where very shortly this case will be in your hands," he told jurors. "I doubt you could have comprehended how horrendous this evidence would be."

During the trial, Jeremiah Krob, a Connecticut prison officer, testified he overheard Hayes confess to another inmate that he killed Hawke-Petit. Hayes also reportedly wondered out loud whether Petit might have been in cahoots with his co-defendant, Komisarjevsky, because Petit had escaped.

Hayes said that he had tied the father in the basement of the home and that he doubted he could have gotten loose without help from Komisarjevsky, Krob testified.

Outside the courthouse, Petit told reporters: "I really can't dignify that insinuation with a response. I think the evidence put on by the prosecution speaks for itself."

Connecticut State Police Detective Anthony Buglione, who interviewed Hayes after the crime, has testified the duo beat Petit bloody and left him in the basement.

According to the testimony, the two men then went upstairs and found Hawke-Petit and 11-year-old Michaela Petit asleep in the master bedroom. After tying Hawke-Petit to her bed, they led the girl to her room, tied her to her bed and put a pillowcase over her head, Hayes told Buglione.

They then found 17-year-old Hayley Petit in her room and did the same, he said.

After finding a bank account that contained $20,000 to $30,000, they decided to have the mother go to the bank in the morning and withdraw money from her account, Buglione testified.

Hayes is accused of taking Hawke-Petit to the bank while Komisarjevsky allegedly stayed behind. When Hayes and Hawke-Petit returned with the money, the two men allegedly set the home on fire and fled.

Inside the home, authorities said, Hawke-Petit, 48, was found raped and strangled. Her two daughters, one of whom had been sexually assaulted, had died of smoke inhalation. Petit, the sole survivor, escaped to a neighbor's home.

Hayes is charged with capital murder, kidnapping, sexual assault, burglary and arson. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

Public defender Thomas Ullmann conceded in the defense's opening statement that Hayes killed Hawke-Petit. But otherwise, he said, much of what happened is unclear.

"No one was supposed to be hurt," he said. "What is known is that Steven Hayes kills and assaults Mrs. Petit. ... We concede much, but not all."

In Friday's closing arguments, Ullmann placed much of the blame on Hayes' alleged accomplice, Komisarjevsky, whom he called the mastermind of the home invasion.

"Just because the state has brought 17 charges doesn't mean he's guilty of all of them," Ullmann said of Hayes, though he conceded he couldn't explain why his client didn't leave the scene once things began to escalate.

But, he said, "Even in flight, Joshua Komisarjevsky was in control."

Dearington dismissed those statements in his rebuttal, saying Hayes "was part of that whole plan to destroy this family, to take their money and to burn that house down."

In a police interview, Hayes said that his life "sucked" and that he had "no money, no car, and not enough to eat."

"Why didn't he leave? He didn't leave because of his desire for money," Dearington said.

He ended his closing statement Friday by asking for guilty verdicts on all 17 counts.

"Justice demands it," Dearington said.
    One down, one to go.

[quote author=g r ee n ey e s link=topic=8906.msg1729862#msg1729862 date=1286297471]
    Guilty!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/05/connecticut.murder.trial/index.html

One down, one to go.
    [/quote]

YES!!! I was just coming to post.

From fb:

Richelle Carey HLN: Breaking news coverage right now on HLN News Now as Steven Hayes is found guilty on 16 charges, including capital murder and kidnapping. We'll be airing your comments and questions on this all day.

Thank goodness!!!  CNN showed video of Mrs. Pettit at the bank teller window the morning they were killed.  I cannot imagine how scared she must have been.  I thought I was hardened to this kind of stuff, but this case really got to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/05/connecticut.william.petit/index.html

(CNN) -- For three weeks, Dr. William Petit went to a courtroom and re-lived the day he was attacked and his wife and daughters were killed in their Connecticut home.

He calmly testified about being beaten awake from a nap and being taken to his basement tied up, not knowing what was happening to his family upstairs. He rarely left the New Haven courtroom, once excusing himself when a medical examiner testified. He listened stoically Tuesday after one of the accused was found guilty of capital murder.

Now Petit will go through it in court all over again. Steven Hayes' penalty phase is ahead, and a second defendant will face trial afterward.

"People keep asking that question, why do you do it or how do you do it," Petit said after Hayes' verdicts were read Tuesday. "... I think that you probably would all do the same thing for your families if your family was destroyed by evil.

Hayes, 47, was convicted on 16 of the 17 charges against him in connection with the deaths of Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her two daughters, including nine counts of murder and capital murder and four counts of kidnapping. The jurors acquitted him of an arson charge in the burning of the family's home.

The killings of Hawke-Petit, 17-year-old Hayley Petit and 11-year-old Michaela Petit happened in the New Haven suburb of Cheshire on the morning of July 23, 2007. Prosecutors said Hayes and co-defendant Joshua Komisarjevsky entered the home the previous night, beat and bound Petit and attacked his wife and daughters before setting their home on fire. Komisarjevsky, 30, will be tried separately, and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Hayes.

Petit and other family members -- including Hawke-Petit's parents, who'd come up from Florida -- attended every session of Hayes' trial, which began September 13. Petit indicated he would attend Hayes' penalty phase, which begins October 18, and Komisarjevsky's trial.

Being in the courtroom every day with the rest of his family was the one thing Petit felt he could do about that day in 2007, he told reporters Tuesday.

"Do I look forward to the ride every day? No," he said. "I have a little nausea every time I get off the exit ramp, [and] a little nausea every time I get out of the car and walk across the street. I think I do it for my family, but I think all of you ... would do the same thing for your families."

Petit, an endocrinologist, testified on September 14 that he had fallen asleep in his home's sunroom as his wife and daughters were watching television July 22, 2007. He awoke as blood ran from a gash on his head, he said.

"I sort of awoke in a daze. ... The next thing I knew I was seated on the middle of the sofa, with my head down [and] there was something warm running down the side of my face," he testified.

Petit testified that the attackers told him to lie down on the couch "and tied my hands at the wrists and my feet at the ankles" and covered his head with a piece of fabric. He was told he'd be shot if he moved, and eventually he was led to the basement, where he was tied to a pole by a rope around his chest and waist, his hands still bound with plastic zip ties, he testified.

Prosecutors said Hayes took Hawke-Petit to a bank, where she withdrew $15,000. She was eventually found inside the home raped and strangled, authorities said.

The attackers tied the girls to their beds and put a pillowcase over their heads, prosecutors said. After getting the money from the bank, the attackers set the home on fire and fled, prosecutors said.

Inside the home, the two daughters, one of whom had been sexually assaulted, died of smoke inhalation, authorities said.

Before the fire, Petit was able to untie the rope on his hands and break the plastic ties, but couldn't undo his feet. He said he heard "three loud noises, like someone was throwing 20- or 30-pound sacks on the living room floor."

Petit testified he heard a "whoosh" sound shortly afterward. Fearing for his family's safety, Petit, still bound by his feet, hopped up his basement steps, left the home and headed for a nearby house, where he alerted a neighbor and asked him to call 911.

Prosecutors say the attackers put gasoline in several plastic gallon-size jugs found at the house to start the fire in the home.

During Hayes' trial, jurors were visibly stunned when they were shown pictures of the victims' burned remains, and at least one wept.

Helen Ubiñas, a Hartford Courant columnist who covered the trial, told CNN that the testimony and evidence made the trial "an incredibly grueling ordeal for the family and for the jury."

CNN asked Ubiñas if she was surprised by Petit's stoicism in court.

"I think that's the one thing that many of us have been asking. We've been in awe of not just Dr. Petit, who of course has shown tremendous strength and grace through all this, but the whole Hawke and Petit families, I think, have shown the strength that many of us just wonder [if] we would have if we were put in that same situation."

Petit, asked after Tuesday's verdicts whether what happens to Hayes now matters to him, said that "what matters to me most is my family and my memories of my family."

"Over the last couple of weeks, I just kept trying to tell myself that good will overcome evil, and we'll keep trying to do good things and [I'll] try to refocus myself on the positive and stay away from the negative," he said.
    God, the video to that link makes me want to cry.

Connecticut Murder Suspect's Ex-Girlfriend Speaks Out
    She's the young woman who once loved a monster. Caroline Mesel was the girlfriend of Josh Komisarjevsky, accused of murdering a doctor's wife and his two beautiful daughters in a horrific home invasion.

His alleged accomplice, Steven Hayes, has just been found guilty of capital murder and faces the death penalty. The 21-year-old woman believes they both deserve to die.

"I get so mad thinking about it. I kind of wish I could do to him what he did to the girls. I kind of wish he could feel what they went through," said Mesel.

Mesel fears she may have been the unwitting motive for the home invasion. Her family moved to Arkansas while they were dating, and she says Komisarjevsky was desperate to raise $15,000 to bring her back to Connecticut to start a new life together.

"He's like, 'I would even rob a bank, you know, to get the money for you,' " said Mesel.

INSIDE EDITION's Paul Boyd asked, "He actually said, 'I may even rob a bank to try and get the money to get you back'?"

"Yes," said Mesel.

Just hours before the murders, she posted a video on Youtube for Komisarjevsky, singing about how much she missed him.

He promised her he would raise the money.

$15,000 is exactly the amount a terrified Jennifer Petit was forced to withdraw from her bank while her family was being held hostage.

Boyd asked, "You don't feel guilty at all do you?"

"I did go through that whole guilt thing, like this is my fault. Maybe if I was in Connecticut, they would still be alive today. Because I could probably have probably prevented it," said Mesel.

http://www.insideedition.com/news/5133/connecticut-murder-suspects-ex-girlfriend-speaks-out.aspx
    I won't feel sorry for me, I'm getting drunk
    But I'd much rather be somewhere with you

That poor girl.  :2sad:

[quote author=g r ee n ey e s link=topic=8906.msg1730977#msg1730977 date=1286395551]
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/05/connecticut.william.petit/index.html

God, the video to that link makes me want to cry.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. I won't watch it.

I sure hope Dr. Petit can find a way to heal from this. When I watched him speak live the other day, he seemed so broken and so medicated. My heart totally breaks for him.

Here is another video, showing the wife at the bank along with the 911 call.

Not sure if this was covered in the CNN link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJcNe-_h3u0

UGH!  That video is so sad. 

Dateline covered this story last night. Lots of info and footage I hadn't heard before. They do not have it online yet but came across this article.
    NEW HAVEN, Conn. — It was a crime tailor-made for arguments in favor of the death penalty: A career criminal participates in a night of unfathomable cruelty and terror that leaves a woman and her two young daughters dead in the smoldering ruins of their suburban home.

But there's a chance Steven Hayes, convicted this week in the shocking 2007 home invasion, could slip past the execution chamber. His attorney, Tom Ullmann, managed to spare another Connecticut man the death penalty in 2004 after he was convicted of fatally stabbing a woman and her two young children in their sleep for drug money.

"He's really great," said Georgianna Mills, whose son Jonathan was convicted of those killings in Guilford. "He did everything he had to do to get Jon off. I think he convinced the jury it was all because of the drugs."

The jury concluded that Mills' difficult childhood and remorse outweighed his horrific acts. They also went light on him because of his history of drug abuse, something that Hayes, 47, reportedly has in common and that is likely to be brought up in sentencing arguments.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39542939...ews/ns/us_news

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

[quote author=GothaBella link=topic=8906.msg1731333#msg1731333 date=1286413692]

Thanks for the heads up. I won't watch it.

I sure hope Dr. Petit can find a way to heal from this. When I watched him speak live the other day, he seemed so broken and so medicated. My heart totally breaks for him.

[/quote]They had an article on him in People a couple weeks ago (shut it, DS). His younger daughter's bff thinks of him as her second dad. It was totally sad to read but at least he has her- someone who meant a lot to his daughter. Some small comfort, I guess.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=8906.msg1724239#msg1724239 date=1285684984]
    There was just someone on In Sessions talking about the poor police response in this case and how at least the youngest girl and maybe others could have been saved had they not wasted time doing unnecessary stuff. Of course there's no way of knowing if that's true, but that poor little girl tied to her bed watching her room fill with smoke sure would have loved to see them, I imagine.
    [/quote]I've always wondered about that, and the bank thing- maybe I'm missing something, but since she told the bank worker what was going on and that person called 911 immediately, why was everyone already dead by the time police arrived?
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

[quote author=Nancy Drew link=topic=8906.msg1733545#msg1733545 date=1286662813]
    They had an article on him in People a couple weeks ago (shut it, DS). His younger daughter's bff thinks of him as her second dad. It was totally sad to read but at least he has her- someone who meant a lot to his daughter. Some small comfort, I guess.
    I've always wondered about that, and the bank thing- maybe I'm missing something, but since she told the bank worker what was going on and that person called 911 immediately, why was everyone already dead by the time police arrived?
    [/quote]

It seems like that was really handled horribly after her visit to the bank. Why didn't police swoop in and grab the dude in the car then go to the house and get that asshole?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=8906.msg1733548#msg1733548 date=1286662931]
    It seems like that was really handled horribly after her visit to the bank. Why didn't police swoop in and grab the dude in the car then go to the house and get that asshole?
    [/quote]

Yep.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=8906.msg1733548#msg1733548 date=1286662931]
    [/quote]Right? Like, I have always wondered about that. Surely they could have exercised their time better? :?

Also, I always thought the mom was sexually assaulted, not one of the girls. :-( Not like it would have been better, really, but...well, kind of. And they only assaulted one of them? :?
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

[quote author=Nancy Drew link=topic=8906.msg1733552#msg1733552 date=1286663206]
    Right? Like, I have always wondered about that. Surely they could have exercised their time better? :?

Also, I always thought the mom was sexually assaulted, not one of the girls. :-( Not like it would have been better, really, but...well, kind of. And they only assaulted one of them? :?
    [/quote]

Just the mom and the youngest.

:2sad:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/08/connecticut.murder.trial/index.html

(CNN) -- A Connecticut man whose wife and two daughters were murdered in a 2007 home invasion will not testify at the sentencing of the convicted killer, he said.

Dr. William Petit has "regretfully decided" against testifying because he said Connecticut's law on victim impact statements is unclear and could provide convicts with grounds to appeal their sentences.

Announcing his decision in a statement Friday, Petit urged Connecticut's General Assembly to "promptly amend the law to guarantee ... the right of surviving family members of capital murder victims to present victim impact statements" at sentencing.

On Tuesday, a jury convicted 47-year-old Steven Hayes of capital murder in the deaths of Petit's family members. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

On Friday, Petit said he would have preferred to make a statement at Hayes' sentencing.

What happened? "Unfortunately, however, our General Assembly has failed to enact an appropriately clear law to allow a victim like me the right to make a statement on behalf of myself and my family members during the course of a capital sentencing trial," his statement said.

"This lack of clarity in the law is a crippling disincentive to surviving family members of victims in capital murder cases to make a statement," Petit continued, because such statements could be construed to violate state law, giving a convict "a basis for appeal and possibly even a new sentencing trial."

Petit said Friday that the law fails to specify who may offer a victim impact statement or when the statement could be introduced.

"Does it permit the victim himself to read the statement or does its passive-voice phrasing require that a prosecutor or other court official read the statement?" he asked.

"More significantly, does it allow the statement to be read prior to the jury's decision on what sentence to impose or should the statement be read as a pointless formality after the jury has already decided what sentence to impose?"

Hayes was found guilty of 16 of the 17 charges against him in connection with the deaths of Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her two daughters, including nine counts of murder and capital murder and four counts of kidnapping. The jurors acquitted him of an arson charge in the burning of the family's home.

The killings took place in the New Haven suburb of Cheshire early on July 23, 2007.

Petit's and his wife's home was invaded in the middle of the night by Hayes and another man, Joshua Komisarjevsky, prosecutors say. Komisarjevsky will be tried separately.

"There is some relief, but my family is still gone," Petit told reporters after Tuesday's verdict. "It doesn't bring them back. It doesn't bring back the home that we had."

At the penalty phase, jurors will determine whether the mitigating evidence the defense is expected to present will outweigh the aggravating factors in favor of the death penalty. Judge Jon Blue set the penalty phase to begin October 18.

On Friday, Petit said that a victim impact statement should be a part of that process.

"Just as a capital murderer is permitted to seek to 'humanize' himself by presenting all manner of mitigating evidence about his own background and circumstances, the prosecution should also be permitted equally to 'humanize' the lives of a defendant's victims," his statement said.

This lack of clarity in the law is a crippling disincentive to surviving family members of victims in capital murder cases to make a statement.

During the trial, Jeremiah Krob, a Connecticut prison officer, testified he overheard Hayes confess to another inmate that he killed Jennifer Hawke-Petit.

Connecticut State Police Detective Anthony Buglione, who interviewed Hayes after the crime, has testified that the duo beat Petit bloody and left him in the basement.

According to the testimony, the two men then went upstairs and found Hawke-Petit and 11-year-old Michaela Petit asleep in the master bedroom. After tying Hawke-Petit to her bed, they led the girl to her room, tied her to her bed and put a pillowcase over her head, Hayes told Buglione.

They then found 17-year-old Hayley Petit in her room and did the same, he said.

After finding evidence of a bank account containing $20,000 to $30,000, they decided to have the mother go to the bank in the morning and withdraw money from her account, Buglione testified.

Hayes is accused of taking Hawke-Petit to the bank while Komisarjevsky allegedly stayed behind. When Hayes and Hawke-Petit returned with the money, the two men allegedly set the home on fire and fled.

Inside the home, authorities said, Hawke-Petit, 48, was found raped and strangled. Her two daughters, one of whom had been sexually assaulted, died of smoke inhalation. Petit, the sole survivor, escaped to a neighbor's home.

[quote author=g r ee n ey e s link=topic=8906.msg1734556#msg1734556 date=1286822082]
    A Connecticut man whose wife and two daughters were murdered in a 2007 home invasion will not testify at the sentencing of the convicted killer, he said.

[/quote]
    Interesting.  Victim impact statements have always confused me a little though.  Yes I understand you want a chance to tell the creeps what you really think of them, you want to tell the judge and jury how much you have been harmed.  I sympathize.  But.  If you have a sicko sitting there that got his jollies by torturing and murdering someone, got joy from their suffering?  Are you not just giving him one more chance to gloat about your misery?

idk.

I'd rather see the victim impact statement make a real impact...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I think he actually wanted to say something, but there is a loophole that could make it to where they can ask for another sentencing... I am going to try and look that up later.

Thread Information